Soap Opera Fans I have bad news for you about AMC and OLTL..

ruchie

Proud Member
:bugeyed I have bad news for you from The Huffington Post. ABC in the US is planning to cancel "ALL MY CHILDREN" & "ONE LIFE TO LIVE" due to low ratings.AMC moved their film production to LA last year.They were doomed from the start when they moved.There is nothing like telling a soap line with a NYC Flair... As far as OLTL,Well I guess the storylines kept repeating itself with different characters.I feel sorry for You Stay at home Moms,Aunts and Uncles(Yes,Some Men watch Soaps too) Grandmas,GrandPas,Politicains, professionals, Ect...For Me, I love The Young and The Restless,With AMC gone.More Emmy Nods for Y&R.:smilerolleyes:..I know how our moms raised us on ABC Soaps but MY Mom raised me on CBS Soaps and one of them is still going strong. Good luck without AMC-OLTL. Turn to Days of Our Lives ,Y&R or The Bold and The Beautiful. Y&R and BB interact with eachother because their actors go to eachothers soaps to make guest appearances and it deals with Fashion and Cosmetics and Business takeovers and ofcourse romantic triangles.:clapping: Its a mess.. Take Care

It's the end of an era. I think that is really sad but the ratings for Soaps have been steadily declining since the 80's. I watched General Hospital for a little while during the Luke & Laura mania. But up until a few years ago I was a big "Days Of Our Lives" fan and grew up watching that show religiously because my mother watched it. But the story lines became too silly even for me so I quit watching. Anyway, I fear "Days of Our Lives" will be next to go. Then I would be really sad, even though I don't watch anymore. All those people before and behind the cameras losing their employment is another reason to feel sad about this.

PS I thought it was stupid of them to move "All My Children" out of NYC to LA. Hope they learned their lesson. :cheeky:

It's the end of an era. I think that is really sad but the ratings for Soaps have been steadily declining since the 80's. I watched General Hospital for a little while during the Luke & Laura mania. But up until a few years ago I was a big "Days Of Our Lives" fan and grew up watching that show religiously because my mother watched it. But the story lines became too silly even for me so I quit watching. Anyway, I fear "Days of Our Lives" will be next to go. Then I would be really sad, even though I don't watch anymore. All those people before and behind the cameras losing their employment is another reason to feel sad about this.

PS I thought it was stupid of them to move "All My Children" out of NYC to LA. Hope they learned their lesson. :cheeky:

Well they thought that the grass was greener on the opposite side of the coast,I know now that they see their mistake.When Guiding Light and As the World Turns left the T.V airwaves, they Still filmed in NY but Upstate NY to give that outdoor feel but again it's the ratings and the storyline became the same but different people, it was like perdictable and Then The Gay person's storyline,The Mob ect.. When we were watching as kids(Or as Young Adults) We didn't see that,We saw wholesomeness and Professionals,Loving Husband,Wives,Boyfriend and Girlfriend,Doctors,Lawyers,Teachers and Businessmen. I guess the writers ran out of ideas. I'm thinking The Bold and The Beautiful will be next, then Days of Our Lives. And The Young and The Restless never changed it's Nada's Theme. (That song is so cool)Everyone else changed theirs.(I don't think Days changed theirs)Going Back to the days of Search for Tomorrow and The Secret Storm,Dark Shadows Those were soaps to enjoy to watch, Now because of all these reality shows I cherish My Soap even more. All I see is too much sex and alot of fighting.Give me a storyline anytime so I can shout to the TV.Stop it already,I've seen enough !!!! But when my Mom was alive and she started shouting at the TV,I always tell her that it was in the Script and she would give me a big smile and say That's right baby,You're so right.

Soaps have really changed a lot. I was raised on ABC soaps. They really need to cancel GH, as it's mobster storyline say in and day out has long been played out. They stopped focusing on the families and focused on the mob. Soaps are not what they once were. I am not surprosed by the news.

My mom is having a fit as we speak. She is a soap opera freak! She named my sister Laura after General Hospital's Luke and Laura and she named me Erica as in All My Children's Erica Cane (Susan Lucci). BTW, one brother is named Anthony.....as in Captain Anthony Nelson (I Dream of Jeannie). :lol:

I'm very sad about the loss of OLTL and AMC. I haven't watched AMC in years, but watch OLTL nightly on the soap channel. I don't really watch any other drama, reality, or comedy shows. So, now I guess I'm left to Animal Planet, Masterpiece Theatre (on occasion--SHERLOCK!), and an occasional movie. Well, I guess I do have better things to do, but I will miss my nightly soap. GH is just a Godfather wannabe.

I used to watch Passions. But its been cancelled too. I got to watch the finale show on youtube. I suppose I was satisfied.

Well, to be totally honest, I grew up watching GH, and then as i got older, it became OLTL and GH, and then as I got even older, it became AMC, OLTL, and GH LOL. I wonder if maybe another network could pick them up, or if once AMC is over in September and once OLTL is over in January, if they are just gone for good :(

I've been a fan of All My Children and One Life To Live since I was a child in the late 1980s. Erica Kane and Victoria "Viki" Lord have been a staple in my household as my grandmother watched them daily when she would take care of my brother, my cousins, and myself. At first, I was all about cartoons and could care less about soap operas until I saw a few episodes. I became hooked in no time. My grandmother passed away last June and to now see All My Children and One Life To Live go off the air is quite saddening for me. It's as if since my grandmother is no longer here, now her beloved soaps are going as well. It's an end of an era and I will be so sad when these shows end. Thanks All My Children and One Life To Live for the unforgettable memories of watching your shows with my grandmother.

Back