100 North Carolwood Contents to go on sale - Julien's 17 December 2011

myosotis

Proud Member
Oh No! I am speechless.

Jackson's deathbed, other items, to be sold : Auction will include chalkboard that reads 'I (heart) Daddy'

By SANDY COHEN

updated 1 hour 9 minutes ago 2011-11-09T18:04:11
Print Font: +-
LOS ANGELES — After Michael Jackson's death on June 25, 2009, the gated mansion at 100 North Carolwood Drive where the pop star lived with his three children while preparing for his comeback concerts became part media camp, part Jackson tribute ground.

Hundreds of tearful fans left cards, flowers, balloons and handwritten notes in front of the three-story home resembling a French chateau, while dozens of reporters jumped at any development in the death investigation. Anyone coming in or out of the property was bombarded with questions.

Now, as Dr. Conrad Murray sits in a jail cell awaiting sentencing for involuntary manslaughter in Jackson's death, the contents of the home — including the queen-size bed where Jackson took his last breath — sit neatly on display, just as they were, awaiting the auction block.

"We want to preserve the history of these items," said celebrity auctioneer Darren Julien
, president of Julien's Auctions, which next month will sell the various antique furnishings, paintings and sculptures that surrounded the King of Pop in his final days.

Located on a leafy corner in the posh Holmby Hills neighborhood, the Carolwood home where Jackson lived from December 2008 until his death is separately up for sale. The house and its furnishings were leased to Jackson while he and his family lived there.

A note from one of the children remains on a chalkboard inside the home's sprawling kitchen, where three barstools were lined up against the center island — a perfect breakfast spot for the kids. "I (heart) Daddy. SMILE, it's for free," the chalk note reads in childlike scrawl. The chalkboard will be sold as-is, and is expected to fetch more than $400.

At the very moment on Monday that Murray was hearing his guilty verdict, reporters were eerily taking a private preview tour of the three-story home where the pop star lived and died.The bedroom shown in evidence photos at Murray's criminal trial was actually considered a "medication room" by the Jackson team. Murray was convicted of supplying an insomnia-plagued Jackson with the powerful operating-room anesthetic propofol to help him sleep as he rehearsed for a series of comeback concerts in London.
The room looked perfect, like a hotel room awaiting its first guest. There was no sign that anyone had struggled there with insomnia or drug addiction, certainly no sign that anyone had died.

Jackson maintained an adjacent bedroom that he regarded as his inner sanctum — a private place only for him.
It is in this second bedroom that the pop star wrote a message to himself on the mirror of an antique armoire. "TRAIN, perfection, March April. FULL OUT May," it reads. Jackson was to begin his London concert run in July.

His private bedroom included a bathroom larger than most living rooms and two massive walk-in closets.

Among the items for sale in the medication room, where evidence was collected for Murray's trial, are upholstered chairs smudged with Jackson's makeup and Jackson's death bed, which looks out to an expansive backyard surrounded by tall trees. The yard is anchored by a large swimming pool and a pool house, where the singer's son Prince carved his name on a beeswax candle.

The medication room, on the top floor, leads to another walk-in closet and bathroom, where Jackson's makeup still remains on a small silk-covered stool beneath the vanity.
Curving staircases on each side of the mansion's most famous room lead down to the kitchen and the elegant foyer, where a grand piano sits topped with crystal candlesticks.

Katherine Jackson's attorney, Perry Sanders Jr., said he is aware of the Carolwood auction and has "done everything we can to ascertain that items from this address are not being auctioned using Michael's name and likeness to enhance the items' value."

Photos of the house and the items available for sale are featured in a limited-edition auction catalog, which is being sold for $100. But the catalog and auction are discreetly titled "100 North Carolwood Drive" and the words "Michael Jackson" do not appear anywhere in the catalog.

The home and its decor are reminiscent of Neverland Ranch, Jackson's famous estate near Santa Barbara, said Martin J. Nolan, executive director of Julien's Auctions.
"He loved it because it was like Neverland," Nolan said. "It was a very happy place where he spent his final days."

Like Neverland, the Carolwood house features its own movie theater — this one outfitted entirely in burgundy velvet with loveseat-style sofas and a fresco of a cloud-dotted sky on the ceiling.
Built in 2000 and designed by architect Richard Landry, the house at 100 North Carolwood is dominated by 18th and 19th century French decor. The walls are lined with various watercolor and acrylic paintings and sculptures fill nooks in the den and family rooms
Although up for sale, the 54,885-square-foot home will not be auctioned. The house has six bedrooms and 10 fireplaces. It also has a wine cellar, fitness center and formal dining and sitting rooms. The price was not disclosed but similar homes in the area are listed at $18 million and up.

Highlights from the furnishings sale will be on view at a free exhibition at Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills, Calif., beginning Dec. 12. The auction is set for Dec. 17.

Celebrity home tours still regularly pass by the property. On the day of Murray's conviction, a tour guide could be heard telling passengers, "This is the home of Michael Jackson, where he passed away."

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45225923/ns/today-entertainment/

Last edited:
Disgraceful, greedy behaviour. The bed should have been burnt to ashes, along with the other items.

Darren Julien shows once more what a despicable man he is. This world has lost all basic moral values, only an insatiable greed has survived. I wish the Estate could buy all those items, and set them on fire so that no one could ever make money from this nightmare.

Darren Julien shows once more what a despicable man he is. This world has lost all basic moral values, only an insatiable greed has survived. I wish the Estate could buy all those items, and set them on fire so that no one could ever make money from this nightmare.

THIS! I can't believe what I'm seeing. Everyday I lose more and more hope for this world. I know there are people out there with no respect, but to this length? This many people? I'm just left speechless really.
It really is like a never ending nightmare...

Disgusting, utterly disgusting!:evil:

If they could get to his remains they probably would want to put that on auction too!

What the hell is Darren Julien said? They want to preserve the history???? This is one of the most ridiculous comment I've ever seen. They just can't admit that all they want to see is money. BTW, the owner of the house is really sick. Selling a bed like this is disrespectful. It's really disgusting that Julien also help this nonsense. Where's the integrity of people this days. This world is really sick. Vomiting feeling.

It was a beautiful home but from what little I've seen of it in photos, it didn't look much like Neverland at all. Neverland seemed more warm and inviting and much less formal...

^ Gosh Ash, I hope they never come to selling his underwear.

But how does Julien's get a hold of his items? Were they sold by his family, or maybe the furniture was part of the rented house and didn't belong to him?

Eitherways it's so wrong, and they seem to be capitalizing on the trial, which has brought Michael's death into the headlines again.

Frank Dileo spoke about some furniture the Jacksons took which wasn't even MJ's but rented.

Who owns the house?

What I do not understand about this is that the things that were not rented with the home, like his make up, the kid's note to daddy, the carved candle, the note by Michael what are these still doing in the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To me, after he died rather than looking for things to sell, the family and children should have taken away all Michael and the children's belongings to Havenhurst or storage. The only things that should remain in the home is the furnishings that were leased with the house, period.

Next, I see the lawyer wants to make sure that Juliens is not using Michael's name or likeliness to sell these items, but hello he has no responsibility in that area. That job is for the estate, and they know very well how to do it. Here again the family still think they have control over Michael's image and name.

PS: the thing that really gets to me is the child's message in his/her handwriting. What is that doing in a sale? Shouldn't this be with the child. Someone is making money off an innocent child's note to a father without the permission of an adult. What a world!!!

Last edited:
^ Gosh Ash, I hope they never come to selling his underwear.

That was already done by Vaccaro...
I remember Diane Dimond boastfully dangling one of Michael's underpants on CNN as a trophy (I swear that woman is sick).

:ph34r:

Considering Michael's death lead to a criminal trial where Conrad Murray was found guilty. I would have thought this bed would have been kept indefinitely by the police or destroyed as it's the bed and surround objects are part of a scene of a crime really.

I think it's disgusting Julien's Auction are putting this bed up for auction. Julien's Auction shouldn't have had any possession of Michael's belonging from when he was alive right to to present.

Apparently the bed has been removed from the auction. I dont see it anymore on the site, and I've been sent this on twitter :

Michael Jackson's bed and contents of Carolwood Drive Home auction, Darren Julien (President/CEO at Julien’s Auctions)
«Out of respect I have told you we are going to pull the bed from the auction. We don’t want to lose fans' trust. You can tell the fans that it will not be sold and that I am sorry. I will pull it from the auction.. It will not be posted online when we post the auction and I will make a public announcement at some point in time but you have my word that it will not be sold. I don’t care how much money it is worth. Thanks again for believing in us and we will always do the right thing.»
Source: JULIENS AUCTIONS

MJJMAGAZINE/http://mjjwebsite.com/

Last edited:
I would also like to state that Julien's auction did not advertise the Bed as "Michael Jackson's death Bed"
that was the words the writer of the article about the auction chose to use when speaking of it and it
ran like wild horses from there ..

woops sorry Ben I didnt see that you had already posted about the bed being taken out of the auction....I edited my post,

Funny that now came in my mind that after the death of Michael, the family was in the house and removed things of Michael.... Where things were taken Michael, I do not know. Interesting... :fear:

That was already done by Vaccaro...
I remember Diane Dimond boastfully dangling one of Michael's underpants on CNN as a trophy (I swear that woman is sick).

:ph34r:

:wtf:

Are you kidding :blink: .... This was true? :unsure: I do not remember that. :doh:

Ben;3534089 said:
Apparently the bed has been removed from the auction. I dont see it anymore on the site, and I've been sent this on twitter :

Michael Jackson's bed and contents of Carolwood Drive Home auction, Darren Julien (President/CEO at Julien’s Auctions)
«Out of respect I have told you we are going to pull the bed from the auction. We don’t want to lose fans' trust. You can tell the fans that it will not be sold and that I am sorry. I will pull it from the auction.. It will not be posted online when we post the auction and I will make a public announcement at some point in time but you have my word that it will not be sold. I don’t care how much money it is worth. Thanks again for believing in us and we will always do the right thing.»
Source: JULIENS AUCTIONS

MJJMAGAZINE/http://mjjwebsite.com/

It would be nice to know what they are going to do with it...Do they mean 'it will not be sold AT ALL' or just 'it will not be sold at auction'? It is possible that someone/ several persons may have made private offers on this anyway...I guess we will know if it ever appears on display anywhere.

If they were truly doing it "out of respect", they would never have thought about selling it in the first place. "Out of needing you fans to have a good image of us so we can still sell you crap in the future" more like

So now they are saying ( regarding 'the bed' ) they were only ever going to sell the bed headboard........ not the frame .

Michael Jackson's bed removed from planned auction
By SANDY COHEN - AP Entertainment Writer | AP

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The bed where Michael Jackson died is no longer for sale.

Julien's Auctions has removed the queen-sized headboard from its auction of items from 100 N. Carolwood Drive, Jackson's last residence.

Company president Darren Julien said Tuesday the mattress was never for sale, but he removed the carved headboard seen in evidence photos during the trial of Jackson's physician from the sale at the request of Jackson's estate.

The auction of art, furnishings and other items from the home where Jackson lived with his three children is set for Dec. 17.

http://news.yahoo.com/michael-jacksons-bed-removed-planned-auction-191230609.html

Julien's Auctions
A message from Darren Julien regarding 100 North Carolwood - “At the request of The Estate of Michael Jackson, we are removing the headboard from the 100 North Carolwood Drive auction taking place on Saturday, December 17th. This item is the only portion of the bed that had been listed for auction, and no part of the bed remains for sale. Contrary to some erroneous reports, the bed itself was never included in the auction and, in fact, is the property of The Estate of Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson has played a major part in the history of Julien’s Auctions and we would never do anything that is not in the best interests of Michael’s children, his mother or the Estate. We will always honor these requests. We want all of our events involving items associated with Michael Jackson to be a good experience for everyone and a celebration of his life and career. The exhibition of the remaining items will continue starting on Monday, December 12th thru the auction on Saturday, December 17th" – Darren Julien, President/CEO, Julien’s Auctions

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10150382658372713&id=143881977712

Last edited:
Good, that they are no longer selling it. They never should have planned to do that in the first place.

I would also like to state that Julien's auction did not advertise the Bed as "Michael Jackson's death Bed"
that was the words the writer of the article about the auction chose to use when speaking of it and it
ran like wild horses from there ..

Sorry but that just isn't true. Juliens went out of their way to advertise everything in the carolwood mansion as having a connection to mj and his death. The fact it wasn't officially in the catalogue is just because the estate was breathing down their necks and they can't legally use mj's name.

Here's a video from a few days ago on nbc showing Mr julien giving a tour round the house (the place looks absolutely gorgeous).

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/45285587#45285587

Julien clearly states that the bed where mj died will be one of the top selling items in the sale and makes no mention that it is just the headboard. They must have been contacted by the estate to remove the bed, or just overwhelmed by negative feedback that this is just distasteful. Good for the estate in stepping in, and smdh at how disgusting this auction house is. It's a pity mj fans/collectors can't boycott them.

Bonnie Blue;3539084 said:
Sorry but that just isn't true. Juliens went out of their way to advertise everything in the carolwood mansion as having a connection to mj and his death. The fact it wasn't officially in the catalogue is just because the estate was breathing down their necks and they can't legally use mj's name.

Here's a video from a few days ago on nbc showing Mr julien giving a tour round the house (the place looks absolutely gorgeous).

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/45285587#45285587

Julien clearly states that the bed where mj died will be one of the top selling items in the sale and makes no mention that it is just the headboard. They must have been contacted by the estate to remove the bed, or just overwhelmed by negative feedback that this is just distasteful. Good for the estate in stepping in, and smdh at how disgusting this auction house is. It's a pity mj fans/collectors can't boycott them.

My statement was true Julien did not use the term "Michael Jackson death bed" to advertise the bed. he never mentions that word once. Not even in the video you posted. The term "Michael jacksons death Bed" was from The writer of the article did that. In fact the bed was never for aution. only the headboard was listed. I respect his decision to remove and the reasons why.

Julien's Auctions
A message from Darren Julien regarding 100 North Carolwood - “At the request of The Estate of Michael Jackson, we are removing the headboard from the 100 North Carolwood Drive auction taking place on Saturday, December 17th. This item is the only portion of the bed that had been listed for auction, and no part of the bed remains for sale. Contrary to some erroneous reports, the bed itself was never included in the auction and, in fact, is the property of The Estate of Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson has played a major part in the history of Julien’s Auctions and we would never do anything that is not in the best interests of Michael’s children, his mother or the Estate. We will always honor these requests. We want all of our events involving items associated with Michael Jackson to be a good experience for everyone and a celebration of his life and career. The exhibition of the remaining items will continue starting on Monday, December 12th thru the auction on Saturday, December 17th" – Darren Julien, President/CEO, Julien’s Auctions

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...d=143881977712

This situation really makes one realize how the estate is involved in a lot of deals to protect Michael's name that we do not get to hear about. Good they stepped in. I have the feeling that the bed is being sold to a private buyer. They mention that the bed is part of the estate, but how about the message on the message board that the little child wrote to the father. I think that is also distasteful, since the child is still young and alive.

Ash it is true about the underwear. She also wanted the prosecution to test it for the boy's DNA. Stupid woman.

Back