I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Revolution

4u_n_4me

Proud Member
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entert...ch+grab/6016825/story.html?cid=megadrop_story

Book Review: Madonna’s hissy fit and Michael Jackson’s crotch grab

By Craig Marks and Rob Tannenbaum (Dutton)

Some of the fun facts recounted in I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Revolution:

■ When an Epic Records executive started showing a video from a new group called Culture Club for the song Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?, everyone who watched it said, “Man, she’s really ugly.”

■ On the shoot of the first video for The Police’s Synchronicity album, lead singer Sting told the director, “Just keep the camera on the money,” and pointed to himself. It was the last album the group would ever record.

■ MTV programmers didn’t think much of Guns N’ Roses’ first video Welcome to the Jungle and initially aired it only once or twice after midnight. Then David Geffen called the channel and requested the clip get more airplay. A couple of weeks later, Guns N’ Roses became superstars.

■ On the set of the Black or White video, director John Landis had to keep asking Michael Jackson to stop grabbing his crotch and rubbing himself on camera. “Madonna does it. Prince does it,” Jackson pointed out. “You’re not Madonna or Prince,” Landis replied. “You’re Mickey Mouse.”

■ When Sinead O’Connor’s Nothing Compares to U beat out Madonna’s Vogue for the Video of the Year award, Madonna was furious (“Sinead O’Connor has about as much sex appeal as venetian blinds”) and Sinead gloated (“I was very pleased to beat the s— out of her.”)

Every page of this fat, addictive, ridiculously entertaining book, which covers the rise and fall of MTV from 1981-1992, is overstuffed with such anecdotes. Authors Craig Marks and Rob Tannenbaum interviewed more than 400 musicians, directors, executives and VJs to create an unusually candid oral history of the music video channel and its enormous impact on pop culture.

Prince, for example, was “cuckoo paranoid,” barely spoke to anyone outside his inner circle, directed most of his videos himself via passive-aggressive tactics, showed up to meetings wearing different-coloured high heel shoes and used so much smoke on the sets of his clips that everyone got diarrhea.

Although it focuses exclusively on the channel, I Want My MTV doubles as a cultural history of the 1980s, showing how the network influenced everything from fashion trends to hairstyles to filmmaking. Pretty much every member of generation X watched MTV obsessively at some period in their lives, so reading about the time Bobby Brown dropped a vial of cocaine on the stage while performing at the Video Music Awards or the uproar that greeted Madonna’s Like a Prayer video feels like leafing through a yearbook of your youth.

There was a time when MTV aired nothing but music, when VJs were huge stars (and treated horribly by their bosses), when President Bill Clinton went on the channel to secure the youth vote, when the world premiere of a new video was the sort of thing you marked down on your calendar.

Like the era it covers, I Want My MTV is filled with excess, drugs, egos and tragedy. It is also a legacy to the music of that decade, some of it garbage, but a lot of it better than you might remember. It also helps to explain the ambivalence most everyone feels about the era: the 1980s weren’t just something you lived through. They were something you survived.

McClatchy-Tribune News

The book excerpt about MJ:
Then there was the famous scene where Michael morphs from a panther.
He's dancing on top of a car, and all of a sudden he grabs his crotch and starts rubbing himself. I yelled, “Cut!” I said, “Michael, what are you doing?”

He said, “I'm expressing myself.” I said, “Michael, that's weird, don't do that. He said, “Madonna does it. Prince does it.” I said, “You're not Madonna or Prince. You're Mickey Mouse.”

So we're shooting again, and he actually unzips his fly and puts his hand in there. I went, “Cut!”

I said, “Mike, I am really not comfortable with you touching your nuts and stroking your cock. I just don't think it's acceptable.” And Michael turns to our choreographer, Vince Patterson, and says, “Well, what do you think, Vince?'' And Vince says, “I didn't really like it either.”

Michael says, “Well, let's call Sandy.” At that time, Michael was managed by Sandy Gallin, who also represented Dolly Parton and Cher. Sandy was a screaming queen. A very flamboyant homosexual. Sandy Gallin comes to the set, looks at the playback, and he goes, “Do it, Michael! Do it! Do it!”

Maybe this was part of Michael's genius, because when “Black or White” aired, it created huge controversy. It premiered simultaneously in sixty-some countries. It had one of the largest viewing audiences in history. I know it had more audience than the moon landing.

^^^ And we are all so glad he did - :D
He was dancing his strong anger, opinion and emotion against racism bigotry and injustice and
was giving a literal " F**k YOU " with that move. It was NOT a romatic gesture ... It was genius

Remember rushing home to record stuff on mtv and waiting for it to air, squealing with delight when they announced Michael would be on and sitting there with the vhs paused and constantly having to reset the pause/record when it kept timing out.

these days though - mtv is blah. all reality show crap. and the music is almost a thing of the past. relegated to other spin-off channels. back in the 80s too it fed the club circuit. rave parties and huge dance parties were held every week. can you imagine? every week! the clubs were great too. mind you in the 90s quite a few of them got closed down due to failing the new health regulations which were ushered in.

I also remember listening to songs for the first time in stereo on the radio -- omg. what a great moment -- hearing into the groove on the radio for the first time in stereo --- sounded so good. just like at a disco.

4u_n_4me;3586337 said:
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entert...ch+grab/6016825/story.html?cid=megadrop_story

Book Review: Madonna’s hissy fit and Michael Jackson’s crotch grab

By Craig Marks and Rob Tannenbaum (Dutton)

Some of the fun facts recounted in I Want My MTV: The Uncensored Story of the Music Revolution:

■ When an Epic Records executive started showing a video from a new group called Culture Club for the song Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?, everyone who watched it said, “Man, she’s really ugly.”

■ On the shoot of the first video for The Police’s Synchronicity album, lead singer Sting told the director, “Just keep the camera on the money,” and pointed to himself. It was the last album the group would ever record.

■ MTV programmers didn’t think much of Guns N’ Roses’ first video Welcome to the Jungle and initially aired it only once or twice after midnight. Then David Geffen called the channel and requested the clip get more airplay. A couple of weeks later, Guns N’ Roses became superstars.

■ On the set of the Black or White video, director John Landis had to keep asking Michael Jackson to stop grabbing his crotch and rubbing himself on camera. “Madonna does it. Prince does it,” Jackson pointed out. “You’re not Madonna or Prince,” Landis replied. “You’re Mickey Mouse.”

■ When Sinead O’Connor’s Nothing Compares to U beat out Madonna’s Vogue for the Video of the Year award, Madonna was furious (“Sinead O’Connor has about as much sex appeal as venetian blinds”) and Sinead gloated (“I was very pleased to beat the s— out of her.”)

Every page of this fat, addictive, ridiculously entertaining book, which covers the rise and fall of MTV from 1981-1992, is overstuffed with such anecdotes. Authors Craig Marks and Rob Tannenbaum interviewed more than 400 musicians, directors, executives and VJs to create an unusually candid oral history of the music video channel and its enormous impact on pop culture.

Prince, for example, was “cuckoo paranoid,” barely spoke to anyone outside his inner circle, directed most of his videos himself via passive-aggressive tactics, showed up to meetings wearing different-coloured high heel shoes and used so much smoke on the sets of his clips that everyone got diarrhea.

Although it focuses exclusively on the channel, I Want My MTV doubles as a cultural history of the 1980s, showing how the network influenced everything from fashion trends to hairstyles to filmmaking. Pretty much every member of generation X watched MTV obsessively at some period in their lives, so reading about the time Bobby Brown dropped a vial of cocaine on the stage while performing at the Video Music Awards or the uproar that greeted Madonna’s Like a Prayer video feels like leafing through a yearbook of your youth.

There was a time when MTV aired nothing but music, when VJs were huge stars (and treated horribly by their bosses), when President Bill Clinton went on the channel to secure the youth vote, when the world premiere of a new video was the sort of thing you marked down on your calendar.

Like the era it covers, I Want My MTV is filled with excess, drugs, egos and tragedy. It is also a legacy to the music of that decade, some of it garbage, but a lot of it better than you might remember. It also helps to explain the ambivalence most everyone feels about the era: the 1980s weren’t just something you lived through. They were something you survived.

McClatchy-Tribune News

John, with much love but F.U.

THANK YOU!!! I am like what the hell is calling Michael "Mickey Mouse" supposed to mean? Truly, I will never understand why people felt threatened by the fact that Michael was very sexual...

^^^ And we are all so glad he did - :D
He was dancing his strong anger, opinion and emotion against racism bigotry and injustice and
was giving a literal " F**k YOU " with that move. It was NOT a romatic gesture ... It was genius
GENIUS. Looking back, the anger was so well translated into each movement. I didn't understand much about racism and injustice when I was younger however growing up I've seen and experienced firsthand what Michael was trying to express and that definitely helps in watching the dance sequence with a new pair of eyes so to speak. Many people are short sighted but as always Michael knew what the grander picture would look like and still today the message is clearer than ever. I just have horrible memories of watching that scene for the first time with my parents in the same room lol that was not fun.:swoon:

Last edited:
I want the old MTV back.........

I want 100% non-stop 24/7 music...........and not spoiled uneducated pregnant teenagers!!!!

:minnie: Actually I dont see it as an insult. John in his playful way was more or less telling MJ his Image was not the same as Prince or Maddona His image was more family oriented like Walt disney's beloved (Mickey Mouse) People will be as shocked to see Michael do this As they would to see Mickey mouse do it .. and they were :) Im so glad Michael took that risk though... That Dance piece says so much - It is pure ART ..

THANK YOU!!! I am like what the hell is calling Michael "Mickey Mouse" supposed to mean? Truly, I will never understand why people felt threatened by the fact that Michael was very sexual...

I don't like this man at all. He is a drama queen and if i was MJ, i would have fired his ass for daring to to make suggestion to him and indicate him what he could or could not do or trying to define him and compare him to a cartoon character. MJ defined the meaning of Music Video. If he liked it, he could go butt naked in one of them. Oh, wait, he did it!!!! Eat that John muahahahahaha

Thank God Michael doesnt behave like a snob as you suggest and fire people who are part of the artistic process. There is always give and take and artistic debates that go on when creating films and shows. Michael doesnt want to act like a Primadonna he welcomes other artist to work with him to build great pieces of art. It part of the process. I dont think John was being a drama queenor trying stifle Michael's creativity. He just gave his opinion. He just wasnt read and didnt expect that. It's funny to me. I bet MJ shocked all of them :lol:

John was no prude he directed many films. He was more likley looking out for Michael's his best interest at the time. Michael trusted John and looked up to him. They went for a second opinion and all came to an agreement to allow it. It was Johns film after all and he was directing it so he should have a say in part what is in it. Together they created a Great piece of Art BOW .. They also create great art together with THRILLER. John Landis was Michael's choice for a reason

Thank God Michael doesnt behave like a snob as you suggest and fire people who are part of the artistic process.

Yes, because MJ was better and more tolerant than me.

There is always give and take and artistic debates that go on when creating films and shows. Michael doesnt want to act like a Primadonna he welcomes other artist to work with him to build great pieces of art. It part of the process. I dont think John was being a drama queenor trying stifle Michael's creativity. He just gave his opinion. He just wasnt read and didnt expect that. It's funny to me. I bet MJ shocked all of them :lol:

I didn't call Landis a drama queen because he made suggestions to MJ. I called him a drama queen because from what i remember he wasn't particularly nice to MJ regarding some royalties from the Thriller video. Didn't he sue him and stuff like that? I also remember reading somewhere a comment that he made about MJ's skin condition. I don't like the guy, period. I find him fake as hell and some of his comments regarding Mike, extremelly rude.

John was no prude he directed many films. He was more likley looking out for Michael's his best interest at the time. Michael trusted John and looked up to him. They went for a second opinion and all came to an agreement to allow it. It was Johns film after all and he was directing it so he should have a say in part what is in it. Together they created a Great piece of Art BOW .. They also create great art together with THRILLER. John Landis was Michael's choice for a reason

I had a fight with a person who wasn't particularly fond of MJ. He would always tell me that Michael Jackson wasn't a real artist or better at the level of other artists because he wasn't provocative, he was safe, he was to "Disney". So you see, i can't agree with John's comment. On the contrary, i find it highly irritating and if i was MJ, i wouldn't be so happy with him saying this kind of things to me for my work. There is nothing "Mickey Mouse" about MJ's music and work.

MsCassieMollie;3586350 said:
Then there was the famous scene where Michael morphs from a panther.
He's dancing on top of a car, and all of a sudden he grabs his crotch and starts rubbing himself. I yelled, “Cut!” I said, “Michael, what are you doing?”

He said, “I'm expressing myself.” I said, “Michael, that's weird, don't do that. He said, “Madonna does it. Prince does it.” I said, “You're not Madonna or Prince. You're Mickey Mouse.”

I though Madonna did that because she saw MJ did it in the BAD MV. lol

I think what john meant by that "mickey mouse" comment was that he was worried that ppl wouldnt think of him as the sweet child like man alot of fans knew & loved. Well maybe at that time that may have been what john was thinking

Mickey Mouse? I don't know what he meant by that. Michael had his playful side but when it came to his work there was nothing that reminded me of Mickey Mouse.

John Landis obviously didn't watch many MJ videos and concert footage if it surprised him that Michael touched himself in BOW.

Anyway, I'm glad Michael went for it. As I understand that panther scene has lots of "black pride" symbolism in it, including the crotch grab

MsCassieMollie;3586350 said:
The book excerpt about MJ:
So we're shooting again, and he actually unzips his fly and puts his hand in there. I went, “Cut!”

I said, “Mike, I am really not comfortable with you touching your nuts and stroking your cock. I just don't think it's acceptable.” And Michael turns to our choreographer, Vince Patterson, and says, “Well, what do you think, Vince?'' And Vince says, “I didn't really like it either.”

Michael says, “Well, let's call Sandy.” At that time, Michael was managed by Sandy Gallin, who also represented Dolly Parton and Cher. Sandy was a screaming queen. A very flamboyant homosexual. Sandy Gallin comes to the set, looks at the playback, and he goes, “Do it, Michael! Do it! Do it!”

Hahaha, if this is not BS, I want to see that footage!! I remember John said it was more explicit than the version in the final cut, and I always wondered what it was that Michael had done there :D

It was passionate, dramatic, artistic and just plain sexy. Glad Michael didn't cop out on it.

Hahaha, if this is not BS, I want to see that footage!! I remember John said it was more explicit than the version in the final cut, and I always wondered what it was that Michael had done there :D

What?! There is a more explicit version?

I WANT TO SEE IT!!!!! :D

Haaa! I think John Landis exaggerates his stories a little, but not in a bad, harmful way. He probably meant that Michael had a squeaky clean image - kids and older people loved him.

Also the crotch grab started with the Victory tour, and was in full-swing by the time it was Bad tour. The first music video to have it was Bad, but then he took it to a whole new level with the Panther Dance! No complains from me.

^^^^Gotta say that Michael just doing that strut and flashing his shy smile was as sexy to me as any crotch grab. I just don't think he knew how sexy he naturely was. He just oozed it. Front and back. Time for me to go look at his booty again in those gold pants.

So you're on the set of one of the most anticipated music videos (short films!) of all time, watching one of the greatest dancers of all time perform and express himself in an absolutely amazing dance sequence, and and all you can think of is that you're not comfortable with him 'stroking his cock'? Really? Really?!

^^^^Gotta say that Michael just doing that strut and flashing his shy smile was as sexy to me as any crotch grab. I just don't think he knew how sexy he naturely was. He just oozed it. Front and back. Time for me to go look at his booty again in those gold pants.
So true and ahhhh... the gold pants ; }

I'd love it if some MTV insider wrote a REAL uncensored book about the channel and covered all of the underhanded things they have done to artists that helped put them on the map. That Michael Jackson chapter would be quite an interesting read.

Back