Investor Group Inc. Sony Corporation of America Completes Acquisition of EMI [Update] Pst #54

marc_vivien

Proud Member
The protracted auction of EMI Group neared a conclusion Friday, with Citigroup Inc., owner of the storied British music company, selecting buyers for its publishing arm and recorded-music label—at a price that well exceeds many industry watchers' expectations.
Barring a last-minute hitch, EMI's recorded-music unit will be sold to Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group for $1.9 billion, while a group spearheaded by Sony Corp.'s music division will buy the publishing operation for $2.2 billion, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The deal, valued at $4.1 billion in total, could be announced later Friday, but the bank may wait until the weekend, the person said.
The now-likely outcome of the auction is a surprise on many levels. Neither Universal nor Sony had been tipped as likely winners in the months of frenzied speculation since Citigroup officially put EMI up for sale in June. Rather, a partnership between private-equity firm KKR and Germany media group Bertelsmann AG was long reported to be the frontrunner for EMI Music Publishing, while Warner Music Group was expected to consolidate the recorded arm.

And though Citigroup had been asking $4 billion for the businesses in total, most analysts thought it would likely have to settle for less, given the challenged state of the credit markets and the music industry itself, which is being buffeted by new forms of distribution and piracy.

There is still a chance that one of the rivals could come back with a knockout offer before the deals are announced, but that the odds of that now appear slim. Still, agreements with the two parties will need to get over regulatory hurdles which could be particularly formidable on the recorded side. Vivendi expects to have to sell some €500 million ($682 million) of Universal Music's assets as part of the deal, likely in part to placate its own shareholders. Regulatory approval could take 10 to 20 months.

In a sign of confidence that it can get the deal past antitrust authorities, Vivendi is taking on the regulatory risk, according to another person familiar with the matter. That means that should regulators block it, Vivendi would need to find another buyer for the business, and absorb any loss in the process.

The price tag for recorded music includes roughly $400 million of liabilities.

One of the key issues in the negotiations was the liability associated with 22,000 EMI pensioners. Universal steadfastly refused to take on the obligation, which it valued at upwards of £400 million. The breakthrough in negotiations between Citigroup and Universal came last week when the bank indicated a willingness to keep the liability, which it will do, according to one of the people. Citigroup values it at closer to £150 million.

Citigroup has owned EMI since February, when it seized the company from former owner Terra Firma Capital, and slashed the value of what it was owed to £1.2 billion from £3.4 billion. The private-equity firm, which bought EMI in 2007, was close to a default on the massive debts it took on as part of that purchase. Citigroup was left as EMI's sole lender when it couldn't syndicate debt it extended as part of the Terra Firma deal in the early days of the credit crisis.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...0429400.html?mod=WSJEurope_hpp_LEFTTopStories

Re: Sony/ATV buying EMI publishing ?

ok im dumb... What does this mean exactly?

Yeah i just saw this on the bbc. They are saying sony bought the publishing rights for over £1.billion. sonys publishing arm is sony\atv so unless sony have done this deal with someone else as some reports say its a group spearheaded by sony i guess it is a sony/atv deal?

Last edited:
ok im dumb... What does this mean exactly?
No, you are not dumb. We don't have enough information to know whether this business deal affects Sony/ATV. The article mentioned that Sony is going to acquire EMI Publising. Does it mean Sony/ATV which the Estate co-own? Or, is Sony going to establish another publishing arm?

So according to the sony/atv deal, Sony can not etablish another publishing arm without MJ'estate approval and financial compensation.

It is SONY/ATV
Sony ATV is half owned by Michael Jackson (The MJ Estate) who has board members on ATV. Nothign is done without their knowledge - they reap the benefits 50/50

Sony/ATV looks set to land EMI Publishing
http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1047447&c=1

Sony/ATV is reported to have beaten out long-time front runner BMG Rights Management to land EMI Music Publishing.
BMG Rights, a joint venture between German media company Bertelsmann and private quality firm KKR, has long been seen to be the leader in the race to buy the world’s second-biggest music publishing company. However, reports suggest it has ultimately been beaten out by Sony/ATV, backed in its bid by debt financing firm UBS and equity from Abu Dhabi firm Mubdala and private equity firm Blackstone Group. The deal is said to be for $2.2 billion (£1.4 billion) and if it does go through would mean Sony/ATV rivalling Universal Music Publishing as the number one music publisher globally.

EMI Publishing has 1.3 million songs in its catalogue, ranging from standards such as Over The Rainbow and Theme From New York, New York and the Jobete catalogue of Motown hits including I Heard It Through The Grapevine and Reach Out I’ll Be There to contemporary hits including a half-share of Adele’s Rolling In The Deep. Its current active songwriter roster includes Taio Cruz, Tinie Tempah, Beyonce, Kanye West, Stargate and Calvin Harris whose song We Found Love for Rihanna is currently number one on the Billboard Hot 100 in the States, having already topped the Official Charts Company’s singles countdown in the UK for three weeks.

The deal would be a personal triumph for Sony/ATV’s chairman and CEO Marty Bandier who prior to joining the publisher in April 2007 ran EMI Music Publishing for 17 years, a period in which it became the undisputed top music publisher on the planet. Bandier has no secret of the fact he has long wanted to get back control of EMI Publishing, having joined the company as its head in 1989 after selling his own business SBK’s music publishing interests to Thorn EMI. It is known he was unhappy that, having led EMI Publishing to become market leader, he did not have a financial stake in the company, something he made sure was not repeated at Sony/ATV when he joined the rival publisher, which is jointly owned by Sony and the Michael Jackson Family Trust.

Sony/ATV’s takeover of EMI Publishing would also throw up an intriguing question over what this ultimately means for EMI Group CEO Roger Faxon who worked for many years with Bandier at EMI and took over as the publishing company’s CEO following Bandier’s departure in 2006. Before Bandier left EMI Group announced a succession plan in January 2005 with then group chief financial officer Faxon initially taking on the role of president and COO. He was subsequently made joint CEO with Bandier and then sole CEO when the now-Sony/ATV boss left

So it looks like mj got to own the motown songs in the end!

I wish he were alive to see it. He fought so hard to keep his share, he fought relentlessly, he'd deserve to be here and see this. God bless him

???? I read through the whole thread but I don't get it. So Sony/ATV is going to buying EMI publishing, my question is does the estate have so much money to do the purchase? or does that mean the % the estate own would be decrease????? Can someone explain what's going on ??? I am confused.

???? I read through the whole thread but I don't get it. So Sony/ATV is going to buying EMI publishing, my question is does the estate have so much money to do the purchase? or does that mean the % the estate own would be decrease????? Can someone explain what's going on ??? I am confused.
Depends on the financing structure. The bid by Sony/ATV is backed by UBS, a PE firm in Abu Dhabi and Blackrock. If these firms finance the deal through debt, then the ownership structure would not be affected. Sony/ATV will repay the debt with interest. If the deal is financed through equity, then these firms will become partial owners. The Estate ownership percentage will drop.

Edit: I re-read the article. It's still not clear. The bid is backed by the debt financing arm of UBS and two private equity firms (the one from Abu Dhabi and Blackrock). Although these are PE firms, they can make debt investments. So, the financing structure is not cleat to me yet.

Last edited:

I wonder too.

Edit: I re-read the article and saw it's "debt financing". So, the ownership percentage will not be affected. Basically, Sony/ATV borrows money to make an investment. It's leverage.

thanks. that's great

Edit: I re-read the article. It's still nit clear. The bid is backed by the debt financing arm of UBS and two private equity firms (the one from Abh Dhabi and Blackrock). Although these are PE firms, they can make debt investment. So, the financing structure is not cleat to me yet.

mmm~~ Interesting. Don't know what's the status of the debt regarding the estate. Is this wise to borrow more money to buy EMI when they still have millions debts??

mmm~~ Interesting. Don't know what's the status of the debt regarding the estate. Is this wise to borrow more money to buy EMI when they still have millions debts??

A simple explaination
The money doesnt come directly from the Estate it comes from the company SONY/ATV. it is not a
loan against the estate in any way. The funds for any deals are already set up in the Sony/ ATV company
and are completly seperate from the Estate money. so any money used to pay back the loan comes from
the earnings of the Sont/ATV Company not the estate. The SONY/ATV company is self suffiicient

I hope I explained that right so it makes sense

The debt is made to Sony/ATV, the partnership, not the Estate. The partnership doesn't seem to be highly leveraged. Although Sony/ATV is co owned by the Estate, Sony/ATV is its own separate economic entity. If the income generated from the acquisition of EMI exceeds interest expense, then it's a win-win-win situation. Win for UBS, win for Sony/ATV and win for the Estate. I'm just confused by the wording of the article. They said equity from Abu Dhabi firm. Do they mean the firm is a private equity firm or equity investment from that firm. If equity investment, then that firm becomes partial owner. Hope you see what I tried to say. Sorry!

I presume the abu firm is lending sony/atv money for the deal

I presume the abu firm is lending sony/atv money for the deal
Hmm.. We don't have enough info to make such presumption. The article said the bid is backed by debt financing firm UBS and equity from a firm in Abu Dhabi and private equity firm Blackrock. So, does it mean UBS lends money and the other two invest through equities? If so, the Abu Dhabi firm and Blackrock become partial owners. Or, all three firms invest through debts. I guess once it's a done deal. They will release an announcement with more details on the financing structure

Last edited:

Thank you Msmo :)

Sony splashed out 2.2 billion dollars for EMI's publishing division.

Universal Music Group and Sony Corp. have reached agreements with Citigroup Inc. to buy EMI Group's music business for a combined $4.1 billion, an 8% premium over Citigroup's initial minimum asking price.

The dual transaction would split London-based EMI in two, with the company's recorded music going to Universal for approximately $1.9 billion and the publishing division sold to Sony for $2.2 billion, the companies announced Friday morning. Citigroup in October had asked for a minimum of $1.9 billion for the recorded music business and $2.5 billion for EMI's smaller but more profitable publishing business.

Sony is considered an investor and partial owner in the deal, but will manage the business under its Sony ATV publishing business, which owns or administers the publishing rights to 750,000 songs, including the Beatles catalog.

EMI's back catalogue, which includes such classics as Singing in the Rain and Over the Rainbow will bolster Sony ATV, which is co-owned by the Michael Jackson Family Trust and which holds the rights to the songs of the Beatles, Elvis Presley, Eminem and Bob Dylan.

The deal still must be approved by European and US regulators.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/11/universal-and-sony-snap-up-emi-music.html

Sony is considered an investor and partial owner in the deal, but will manage the business under its Sony ATV publishing business, which owns or administers the publishing rights to 750,000 songs, including the Beatles catalog.
Says they are just considering a partial investor which I assume is the Abu Dhabi firm
I guess we will find out more details about this investor as the story unfolds

OK after I read the latest deal done news. I am confused again. So basically, SONY/ATV just help to manage the EMI catalogs?? Really confused.

A consortium led by Sony/ATV reached a separate deal to pay $2.2 billion for EMI's publishing division, according to a person familiar with the matter. That business is in charge of songwriting copyrights for such artists as Rihanna and Adele. The person wasn't authorized to speak publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.Sony/ATV, a joint venture between Sony Corp. and the Michael Jackson estate, is a 38 percent partner in the consortium. The other parties were not immediately known.The two-part sale, if approved by regulators, would further increase Universal Music's dominance in recorded music and springboard Sony/ATV into the top spot as a music publisher, according to Impala, an association of European independent music companies that is against the deal.The purchases would give Universal Music and Sony/ATV undue negotiating power over artists and distributors of music, even powerhouses such as Apple Inc.'s iTunes, Impala said.

http://www.newser.com/article/d9quo...or-41-billion-regulatory-scrutiny-likely.html

^^now, I can presume that the Abu Dhabi PE firm and Blackrock put equities in and become partial owners. I'm curious to know the % of ownership Sony still has.

Quesions again. What does this supposed to mean? Does this mean that the ownership of MJ and Sony of the new publishing company is diluted to 38%? or This means that MJ and sony own 38% of this deal (EMI publishing part)????? If this means the previous one, is this wise to do that???

Quesions again. What does this supposed to mean? Does this mean that the ownership of MJ and Sony of the new publishing company is diluted to 38%? or This means that MJ and sony own 38% of this deal????? If this means the previous one, is this wise to do that???
Yes, seems Sony/ATV is now a 38% owner of the new combined Sony/ATV/EMI Publishing. I guess the Abu Dhabi firm and Bkackrock make up the remaining 62%.

Oh thanks. It seems I can't read today. I'm not good with reading over my phone. I miss punctuation. You are right. Sony/ATV had 38%. So, the Estate's ownership becomes 19% per the article.

Sony Corp. and the Michael Jackson estate = Sony ATV they are one, they have 38 % of the EMI publishing
the other 62 % belongs to the other investor - These percentages are not taking about over all ownership
of Sony ATV just the EMI Publising which I assume will be added to the ATV Catalog. Not sure how that part works
or if it will be kept seperate

Back