Robin Williams Dead at 63

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amaya

Proud Member
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-robin-williams-dies-20140811-story.html

Robin Williams dies at 63 in apparent suicide

Oscar-winning actor and comic Robin Williams died Monday at 63 of an apparent suicide, the Marin County Sheriff's Department confirmed.

Around 11:55 a.m. Monday, sheriff's officials said, a 911 call came in about a man unresponsive in his home in Tiburon. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Dubbed “the funniest man alive” by Entertainment Weekly in 1997, Williams brought audiences hours of laughter, putting his imaginative spin on characters in film and television. He was lauded for his serious roles as well, winning a best supporting actor Oscar for his performance as Sean Maguire, the therapist who counsels Matt Damon’s math genius in “Good Will Hunting”(1997), and receiving nominations for “The Fisher King” (1991), “Dead Poets Society” (1989) and “Good Morning, Vietnam” (1987).

Born in Chicago in 1951, Williams became one of only two students accepted into John Houseman’s prestigious acting program at Julliard, the other being Christopher Reeve, who became a lifelong friend.
cComments
Got something to say? Start the conversation and be the first to comment.
Add a comment

Williams gained fame as Mork, the bizarre, suspenders-sporting alien on the sitcom “Mork & Mindy,” a spinoff from “Happy Days.” Williams departed from the script so often that producers intentionally left blank moments on page for Williams to have space to indulge his ad-libbing genius.

---

I can't believe it... even though I didn't like some negative things he had said about Michael, this was really sad to hear. RIP Robin Williams and thank you for the laughter. :(

I`ll miss him, was a fan of several movies and of course his stand up comedy work.. R.I.P.

I don't care if this will come across as insensitive or anything but I cannot feel sorry for anyone who's said such vile things about Michael.

I don't care if this will come across as insensitive or anything but I cannot feel sorry for anyone who's said such vile things about Michael.

Me neither. I'm not happy that he died, but I'm not sad that he died either. I'm just indifferent

Okay guys, I'm not gonna tell you how to feel about this news, but there is a time and place for everything and right now may not be the time to post any negativity. Regardless of what has been said about MJ by him, a life has been lost, a family in mourning, lets remember that.

Btw....I remember reading some post by some people online who actually where glad when MJ passed and I remember how pissed off I was about that, so let's just try to keep our emotions in check.

To his family, I pray that they will find the strength to deal with this loss in the days to come.

RIP....Robin Williams

Last edited:
This sick man nor his family remembered that MJ was a human being , a father to three kids when he made those jokes. It is the very best time to remember what a hypocrite Robin Williams was.

Yeah thats the thing about news like this.

But I feel like....MJ wouldn't want us to be insensitive just cuz Robin said bad things about him. Clearly Robin was going through his own issues and MJ was an easy person for him to lash out at through his comedy, and it was the trend of the times unfortunately, Robin certainly wasn't the first or the only comedian to say such things. He was just following the sheep as far as I'm concerned. Not to say what he said wasn't horrible (cuz i remember being EXTREMELY pissed at Williams for such talk), but at the same time in the scheme of life and death...its kinda trivial.

Kinda like how MJ treated Eminem when he had his 'fun' at MJ's expense. He wasn't going to drop to that level. And even the people who did him the worst and actually had a direct affect on his life, MJ managed to forgive.

So with that, I'm sad for the family and fans of Robin. On the fan front, goodness knows I understand what it feels like.

He made a living trashing MJ. How the media protected him. Had no idea he had these longstanding issues. Now the fawning media calling him iconic, genius, once in a life time talent. And our president wasted no time releasing, a gushing statement.

Not afraid to say i was not a fan of this man.

Those jokes hurt. They lead to the general negative perception of Michael (someone else piling on) and lead to anguish. Robin Williams not only joked about Michael as a person but of child molestation. A severe accusation he saw as a joke (carousal ride and Kmart jokes to name just two).

Even after Michael's death: During an appearance on The Graham Norton Show, Williams discussed the fact that Propofol had been used on him during his operation, the same drug which had been involved in the death of Michael Jackson. Williams commented that Jackson had been taking the drug to sleep, which he compared to "doing chemotherapy because you're tired of shaving your head". This comment caused much hilarity among the audience and other guests, but Williams emphasised the fact that Propofol is a "devastatingly powerful drug" that should be only administered in hospital, whereas Jackson had been using it at home.

Last edited:
This news is so sad. He was a genious and from everything I’ve heard about him a genuinely kind human being. Robin you will be missed.

I didn't know about the MJ jokes. Not okay Robin.

Last edited:
What were your thoughts on the passing of Michael Jackson?
Robin Williams: For me, it was sad. It was just a sad, kind of lonely event. For years of making fun of him, I felt really bad because it used to be making fun of Michael Jackson's like bitch slapping a paraplegic. Then when he died, you went, "Aw, sh*t, man. That's lonely." For me it just strikes me as just being so lonely. When you're taking a drug that would anaesthetize an elephant, how scared are you?

Last edited:
"Remember, Michael was claiming racism, which was like, ‘Michael, honey, you’ve got to pick a race first.’ " --- Robin Williams

“[on Michael Jackson]
Honey, you gotta pick a race first. All of a sudden you're a black man, then you're Diana Ross, now you're Audrey Hepburn. Then he's got the little beard going on. He's like Lord Of The Rings, the entire cast. Michael's about to jump species.”

For me, it was sad. It was just a sad, kind of lonely event. For years of making fun of him, I felt really bad because it used to be making fun of Michael Jackson's like bitch slapping a paraplegic. Then when he died, you went, "Aw, sh*t, man. That's lonely." For me it just strikes me as just being so lonely. When you're taking a drug that would anaesthetize an elephant, how scared are you?

http://www.starpulse.com/news/Fred_Topel/2009/12/04/qaamp_a_robin_williams_discusses_his_ret

sorry, I used to love him.

Robin Williams: For me, it was sad. It was just a sad, kind of lonely event. For years of making fun of him, I felt really bad because it used to be making fun of Michael Jackson's like bitch slapping a paraplegic. Then when he died, you went, "Aw, sh*t, man. That's lonely." For me it just strikes me as just being so lonely. When you're taking a drug that would anaesthetize an elephant, how scared are you?

I guess it took for Michael to die for Robin to feel any empathy for him. Sad. Especially considering Robin apparently has been dealing with his own demons for years. :(

Well, that last question in your quote is kinda ironic given that he apparently killed himself. How scared or tormented was he?

Sad all around.

Thank God we are not judged by just our indiscretions in life. (Which we ALL have) God sees our heart and will Judge accordingly. God's word also states we are not to Judge a mans eternal fate. Its arrogant and self righteous for anyone to do that. Look in the mirror .. The truth is those who do that are usually full of hate and bitterness and not so clean themselves.

Well, I wasn't aware Robin was an asshole towards Michael. Now I have mixed feelings.

Just imagining how Prince, Paris and Blanket sad and heartbroken were when they lost their father, it makes me feel empathy towards Robin's children. I feel sorry for them given the fact their father was somehow selfish (yeah, I understand depression can be devastating) to take his own life making them suffer.

I'm willing to separate. I enjoyed some of his work, he was a talented actor but those jokes hurt. The fact he was a good actor doesn't take away as a person he was an asshole and opportunistic.

When I see video of other entertainers trashing and making fun of Michael... all I can really see is that Michael never, ever did that to anyone else. He ALWAYS took the high road. Class act - if you ask me.

I will always love him as the Genie in Aladdin though. Michael loved the Genie too.

n1sav6.jpg

Despite what he said about Michael, Robin was a genius and a massive part of my childhood. I must have watched Mrs. Doubtfire and Flubber 300 times.
Truly truly sad that he got to the point in his life where he felt that death was the only option while he was responsible for millions of smiles around the world for years and years.

Prayers to his family and fans. Lord knows we know what this feels like.

Damn, I didn't realize RW was THAT cruel towards Michael. o_O The only thing I had heard from him was in this video where the director of Scream was showing a director's cut of the video to different celebs and Robin was saying how the video would get Michael off from the charges against him (implying that this was done in 2005). I'd post a link but I can't find it on Youtube anymore.

Judging by the quote he made in regards to how he felt when Michael passed, I think he realized he ****ed up, though. Kind of like how a lot of other people did. Someone on here mentioned that the media "protected" Robin while he was alive. Maybe so, but within hours of his death, this happened:

1407801406443_zps571ae577.jpeg

I guess once you die the protection is gone. Damn...

I am completely and utterly devastated. My whole entire life when anyone has ever asked me who my favorite actor is I have always said "Robin Williams and Jim Carey."

I woke up to 11 emails in my inbox so I went to check them and right at the top was an email from Huffington post saying "Robin Williams dies of apparent suicide." I REFUSED to believe it. It had to be a hoax. I was in complete and utter shock. Then I went onto Facebook and it was EVERYWHERE and it was stated by the articles that it was confirmed by police. My shock turned to complete and utter devastation. I have never cried more over a celebrity death in my life.

Robin Williams was (can't believe I'm talking about him in past tense ) one of those magical people who enter your life at a young age and changes the whole course of your life. I start thinking about movies he has been in that have meant something to me and have automatically thought of more. I grew up with Robin Williams. He was my childhood. Hook, Aladdin, Flubber, Jumanji, Mrs. Doubtfire.

Then as we grew up to teenagers we saw another incredible side to his acting skills. I still remember studying Dead Poets Society in school and being blown away by his incredible acting skills. Patch Adams was another movie that touched my life. One of those rare movies that is both funny and deeply moving and profound at the same time that touches the heart. The same was with Bicentennial Man. Robin was known for finding that fine balance between humor and heart warming that would stay in your mind for many years, perhaps even a lifetime.

Everyone has known my complete love for Robin Williams. Even my brother Joshua gave me Good Morning, Vietnam one birthday saying "I know how much you love Robin Williams. I thought you would like this movie."

I am not dealing with this and I guarantee there are millions around the world who feel the same way that I do. Rest in peace Robin Williams, you changed my life more than you know. You will always be my favorite actor. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.

And Michael LOVED Robin Williams too. I only saw this for the first time today:

Some of RW movies were part of my childhood, he has great ones and I'm not taking away he was talented but Michael has been part of my life ever since I was toddler and finding out about those "jokes" where like a kick in the stomach. I highly doubt Michael had that love and respect for him after listening how cruel he was, jerk and asshole. I bet he knew, after all Robin Williams himself said he mocked Michael for years.

Some of RW movies were part of my childhood, he has great ones and I'm not taking away he was talented but Michael has been part of my life ever since I was toddler and finding out about those "jokes" where like a kick in the stomach. I highly doubt Michael had that love and respect for him after listening how cruel he was, jerk and asshole. I bet he knew, after all Robin Williams himself said he mocked Michael for years.

Michael was a fan of Eminem's music and craft even after the bullshit he said about Michael. Michael separated the craft from the person. As he said in his Oprah interview that he is interested in craft and not what such and such a person had for dinner last night and their personal lives and what they may or may not say. People CAN separate a person's craft from the individual and that is what both Michael and I choose to do. Stop saying people can't feel sad about Robin Williams dying because of the bullshit he said about Michael. Yes it was f***** up what he said but in all honesty as someone else has pointed out on here Robin was jumping on the disgusting bandwagon that was going on at the time and was trying to get a few cheap jokes. Is that disgusting? Yes. Is that wrong? Yes. Have you ever done anything wrong in your life? I am NOT defending Robin for making fun of Michael but everyone in life makes mistakes and Robin even apologized for it and realized what he had done was wrong and at the end of the day the only people who have the right to judge him are God and Michael

Last edited:
^^You're justifying him by saying everyone makes mistakes. We all make but he made a living being a jerk bully towards someone who was a sweet gentleman. He "apologized" but I don't think he really meant it since he had the nerve to joke about Michael's passing on the Graham Norton show. And Michael said he was fan of Eminem before mocked him, not after.

Edit, I re read his statement and Robin never said he was sorry for mocking Michael, he just said he "felt bad" but like I said before, I don't think he meant it.

Last edited:
^^You're justifying him by saying everyone makes mistakes. We all make but he made a living being a jerk bully towards someone who was a sweet gentleman. He "apologized" but I don't think he really meant it since he had the nerve to joke about Michael's passing on the Graham Norton show. And Michael said he was fan of Eminem before mocked him, not after.

Those without sin cast the first stone.

I am NOT justifying him. I was disgusted and lost a lot of respect for him after what he had to say about Michael. I am simply stating that no human being is perfect. It's like throwing stones in a glass house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back