Songs with indifferent opinions

Tony R

Proud Member
Okay, seeing as we're having a nice few threads about MJ songs (even if it is the same 6 or 7 people each time :))...

We've had songs we universally adore (Who Is It, Billie Jean, TDCAU, Earth Song, WYBT etc.etc..)

And we've had threads about songs that we feel are hated by others (Don't Walk Away, Privacy, The Girl is Mine, etc..etc...)

And we've recently had Jacksons threads that talk about his underrated non-solo work.

But what about those in the middle, the songs we don't talk about, or maybe even listen to that often, but if you reflect on them - they are fantastic pieces of work.

Allow me to start with 'Stranger in Moscow'.

I've previously written this in my HIStory review:

"After the anguish and pain of the first two tracks comes cleansing rain. This leads into possibly Michael's best ballad ever, 'Stranger in Moscow'. From a man who's record includes She's Out Of My Life and Heal The World, that's saying something. Lyrically, Michael's still talking about the last 2 years here but more on a personal level. Such honesty has never been spoken about before 'Feel abandoned in my fame' he sings with such beauty you could cry – as many have. Not too oblivious to how his career has been damaged he goes on to say 'Swift & sudden fall from grace'. Again, the writing of the song is beautifully created as he uses the freedom crushing iron curtain of the Eastern Bloc as a metaphor for his treatment."

I do play this often, but not as much as his up-tempo numbers and everytime it stuns me. The vocal is beautiful and the beatbox percussion is stunning, in fact the whole production is fantastic in its simplicity. Michael can be very over the top at times but SIM is an example of when he strips it back and just lets a melody & voice do its work.

Would have been the standout in my totally imagined 'MJ - Unplugged' set.

What other tracks do you feel we just don't talk about enough.

For me? Blood On The Dancefloor. There's just something about those opening chords that gets to me everytime I put it on. I listen to a lot of music while I'm cooking in the evening, and no matter what kind of day I've had, this song will always lift my spirits and makes me want to do my horrendously-bad Michael Jackson dance moves in the kitchen (I look super cool doing it in my head).

There's someting about BOTD that is just utterly cool, including the video. It's all in the beat, the rhythm and the guitar licks. It's just so funky. Little know fact, Niles Rodgers of Chic and recent Daft Punk fame plays rhythm guitar on the track.

For me? Blood On The Dancefloor. There's just something about those opening chords that gets to me everytime I put it on. I listen to a lot of music while I'm cooking in the evening, and no matter what kind of day I've had, this song will always lift my spirits and makes me want to do my horrendously-bad Michael Jackson dance moves in the kitchen (I look super cool doing it in my head).

There's someting about BOTD that is just utterly cool, including the video. It's all in the beat, the rhythm and the guitar licks. It's just so funky. Little know fact, Niles Rodgers of Chic and recent Daft Punk fame plays rhythm guitar on the track.

We've all been there with the moves mate!

Never knew the Nile Rogers fact - cheers!

'Tabloid Junkie' Michael's genius flowing through each wave of incomparable beats, one of my favorite song's of his! so raw, and his voice is flawless as ever.

Blood on the Dance Floor
Things I Do For You
Bless His Soul
Heartbreak Hotel
Walk Right Now
Time Waits For No One
Someone in the Dark
She Drives Me Wild
Money

Liberian Girl ! That song is just astonishing.
The vocals are just jaw dropping, all the passion in them vocals. To call him an amazing singer is an understatement.
The music is breath-taking, such a beautiful soundscape, it just paints pictures in my mind every time I hear it.
Then you have the genius song writing, the way MJ goes from first to third person so seamlessly.
I just adore this song, it should be known and celebrated universally.
Great thread by the way

Stranger In Moscow 'in the middle'? Jeez. For me I'd have it in the 10 examples of MJ's genius in song. Everytime. And it's particularly important given it's lateness.

Don't Walk Away. I very rarely hear any fan mention that song and, on a personal level, I find it to be Michael's most stunning and beautiful expression of heartbreak - yes, even stronger than She's Out of My Life.

In this part of the forum, I see lots of people go on about how amazing all the songs are on Invincible, and get defensive about each one (not an issue for me) but I rarely see people praise Blood on the Dance Floor for the amazing song it is. I don't think it's anything to do with the fact that it wasn't released in the US- if you are a Michael fan, you will know his songs.

This got to number one for a reason. Amazing beat (similar to Remember the Time, but still brilliant. So hard hitting that it just shoots through you), the dark nature of the song (people actually thought this was about AIDS and after thinking about it, it COULD be, although Michael debunked this). The chorus is just fantastic. Typical Michael catchiness. Perfect harmonies with such a strong post Thriller angry lead vocal.

The singing style of Smooth Criminal/Why You Wanna Trip On Me/Tabloid Junkie returns- low rough angry verses. The bridge is just perfect, amazing lead from Michael with backing vocals that just won't quit "Blood on my siiiiiiiide". The chorus as I've mentioned, speaks for itself.

One thing that this song contains that a lot of other MJ songs dont (other than Earth Song, We've Had Enough/Will You Be There/Speed Demon) is that it actually has an "ending part" (It was blood on the Dance Floor). This part of the song just makes it for me. Its the realisation of the incidents that have happened previously with Susie and this is the final breakdown, the frustration and anger of what has happened with Michael repeating "It was blood on the Dance Floor!!" with, again, perfect backing vocals.

This to me is the last great MJ single, and rightfully so went to number 1 in lots of countries. But I rarely see it brought up as one of the best songs.

^ I totally agree about BOTDF. Actually, one of my faves. So catchy!

^ I totally agree about BOTDF. Actually, one of my faves. So catchy!

My friends always ask me what my favourite MJ song is and when I say this they are like "Wha? Never heard it" and it Kills me

Stranger In Moscow 'in the middle'? Jeez. For me I'd have it in the 10 examples of MJ's genius in song. Everytime. And it's particularly important given it's lateness.

Hi. I didn't mean it's in the middle in terms of quality. Firmly agree it's in the Top 10 MJ. What I meant was it's neither universally loved or loathed. Like BOTDF or Scream like others have mentioned, we just don't talk about it enough.

Okay this might be a bold statement but I actually believe 2Bad is one of MJ's best songs. I have never, and I mean never ever heard anyone mention/acknowledge/praise this song. When HIStory makes the debate tables we go on about Earth Song, TDCAU, Stranger In Moscow, Tabloid Junkie, Scream, Susie but never 2Bad. It's a forgotten pearl

I remember the first time I heard the song, my jaw literally dropped down to my neighbors. I remember being so impressed by the sfx (sound effects) that they incorporated in the composition making them sound like actual instruments. The beat is so hard! The rhythm the tempo is immaculate. I love when he stacks harmony on top of his verse during the second verse, it makes it sound so cool. Oh I love the version on Ghosts! It took the song to a whole other level. He should have performed this on the history tour and this should have been a single. This song also features my second favorite guest rap, behind BIG on This Time Around.

This song also features very dark and somber lyrics, but he makes it sound so cool as only he could do.

"Look who just walked in the place
Dead and stuffy in the face
Look who's standing if you please
Though you tried to bring me to my knees"

"You ain't done enough for me
You ain't done enough for me
You are disgustin' me, yeah yeah
You're aiming just for me
You are disgustin' me
Just want your cut from me
But too bad, too bad"

All in all I wish more people acknowledged this song, esp while talking about HIStory. To me this is one of MJ's finest moments.

Last edited:
Okay this might be a bold statement but I actually believe 2Bad is one of MJ's best songs. I have never, and I mean never ever heard anyone mention/acknowledge/praise this song. When HIStory makes the debate tables we go on about Earth Song, TDCAU, Stranger In Moscow, Tabloid Junkie, Scream, Susie but never 2Bad. It's a forgotten pearl

I remember the first time I heard the song, my jaw literally dropped down to my neighbors. I remember being so impressed by the sfx (sound effects) that they incorporated in the composition making them sound like actual instruments. The beat is so hard! The rhythm the tempo is immaculate. I love when he stacks harmony on top of his verse during the second verse, it makes it sound so cool. Oh I love the version on Ghosts! It took the song to a whole other level. He should have performed this on the history tour and this should have been a single. This song also features my second favorite guest rap, behind BIG on This Time Around.

This song also features very dark and somber lyrics, but he makes it sound so cool as only he could do.

"Look who just walked in the place
Dead and stuffy in the face
Look who's standing if you please
Though you tried to bring me to my knees"

"You ain't done enough for me
You ain't done enough for me
You are disgustin' me, yeah yeah
You're aiming just for me
You are disgustin' me
Just want your cut from me
But too bad, too bad"

All in all I wish more people acknowledged this song, esp while talking about HIStory. To me this is one of MJ's finest moments.

Fully agree and great example of what this thread was for!!!

I adore 2 Bad. I remember seeing the song title on an album cover before it was released and being perplexed by it....was it a sequel to Bad?!

I think it's Mike's most street song and love it both lyrically and musically. "Throwing rocks to hide your hands". Brilliant.

Easily in my Top 10.

2 Bad is one of those songs that I don't generally listen to for whatever reason, but I absolutely love. It's one of only two "sequel tracks" that I consider to be a step above its predecessor (Bad/2 Bad & Thriller/Ghosts).

Shaq's rap section is much too short though - it should have been either cut entirely or extended.

You know what I actually think that's what makes his rap so appealling to me. It's short, conicse and reedy! It's like he's having a short cameo near the end of an movie lol. I wouldn't mind his verse being a tad longer but oh well, bygones.

Little know fact, Niles Rodgers of Chic and recent Daft Punk fame plays rhythm guitar on the track.

What's your source for Nile being on BOTDF, has he mentioned it anywhere?

I'm a big Nile/Chic fan, and that's the first time I've ever read any suggestion of him being on BOTDF (I've known for years that he was on Money). I'll have to give that track another listen...

EDIT: Just had a quick Google and you seem to be right. Damn, talk about learning something new everyday. :-O

Re the thread subject, I've always had an odd liking for This Time Around and D.S. on HIStory, despite not generally being a big fan of the album. Mike really throws down on those two...

I guess other personal faves that would presumably be 'in the middle' in terms of wider fanbase appreciation include Music and Me, One Day In Your Life, Get On The Floor, Baby Be Mine, The Lady In My Life, Just Good Friends, Leave Me Alone, For All Time, Serious Effect, On The Line and Heaven Can Wait.

Am I getting this thread right?? Lol.

Last edited:
Chicken, you are right on the money with One Day In Your Life. This is largely forgotten as his first ever UK number 1.

It's such an amazing song, with amazing vocals

In an alternate universe where I can sing, One Day In Your Life would be my song.

I love this, I don't know how someone can sing this well & make it look so easy.

And yes, his first solo #1 in the UK.

I love this, I don't know how someone can sing this well & make it look so easy.

And yes, his first solo #1 in the UK.
wow. I had no idea about it being #1 in UK. I remember watching this on Soul Train like it was yesterday. It didn't seem like anyone here paid attention to this song or the Jacksons at this time (the last waning days of Motown) except me. I loved it.

I drug my little sister and brother against their will) to watch them here in concert that year.

wow. I had no idea about it being #1 in UK. I remember watching this on Soul Train like it was yesterday. It didn't seem like anyone here paid attention to this song or the Jacksons at this time (the last waning days of Motown) except me. I loved it.

I drug my little sister and brother against their will) to watch them here in concert that year.

Wow, that post took a dark turn at the end :)

Yes it was number one in 1981, as Motown re-released it to capitalise on his growing solo success.

Also, just found this out (according to Wiki).

Jackson and Whitney Houston rehearsed and were meant to perform the song during the 2001 Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Special concerts

Do you think this is true? I can't imagine him singing this in 2001. Would be great though.

How ironic that Off The Wall could not produce a UK Nr. 1, but One Day In Your Life was #1. It's a great song though - great vocal performance by MJ.

Another interesting chart fact: the Jackson 5 never had a UK Nr. 1, however the Jacksons did with Show Me The Way To Go.

Yes it was number one in 1981, as Motown re-released it to capitalise on his growing solo success.

Jackson and Whitney Houston rehearsed and were meant to perform the song during the 2001 Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Special concerts

Do you think this is true? I can't imagine him singing this in 2001. Would be great though.

hope it's true but I know better than believing in wiki..

Last edited:

Wow... Could you imagine if that happened? It would've undoubtedly been the highlight of the show. What a collosal shame it never transpired....

I remember wishing he would drop the J5 medley on TII in favour of One Day In Your Life.

First of all, to people hate Tghe Girl Is Mine? Why? It's personally one of my favourites ATM, really love the song!
Also I would like to add that I haven't been on this forum for long so if I mention some songs that actually are talked about a fair bit please excuse me.

okay, back on topic, I agree with most of you, especially about BOTDF, thaty song is also one of my favourites aswell, I regret not putting it on my top 10 list on the other thread but oh well.
Tabloid Junkie is definitely a song worth talking about, aswell as Stranger In Moscow, both spectacular songs musically and vocally. Both songs include Michael's beatboxing on the track, here's an example of Tabloid Junkie

I don't know how much people talk about the following songs, but the time I've been here I haven't seen a lot of people mention them;
Earth Song and Heal The World.
It might come as a shock to most people, but I haven't seen a lot of talk about these wonderful songs, which is sad, because both of them are so important and they are both beautiful songs. And they bring this deep and important message that I don't feel we talk about as much as we should.

^ That clip is just great. There should have been much more of that in the program they showed.

TJ is definitely his best media track (unless you count Scream).

Workin' Day And Night

Scratch My Shoulder
(scratch,scratch)
It's Aching, Make It Feel Alright!

Like yo.

When This Is Over
Lovin' You Will Be So Right.

HEEEHEEE!!

I can't be the only one who's twiddled his thumbs to this and thought the EXACT same thing.

Oh yeah, Get On The Floor is funky too. I don't need to explain, just go and listen.

Back