Favourite dances & choreographies

HIStory

Proud Member
It can be anything from vidoes, concerts, TV performances.

Here are mine:

Plus the Smooth Criminal routine and the Beat It routine in the videos.

Will You Be There - MTV10
2 Bad - Ghosts
Smooth Criminal -short film

Remember theTime (short film)
Billie Jean (every one of them, so simple and different)
Smooth Criminal short film
Steppin' out with My Baby (Jacksons TV show)
Drill (proof he could still do it)
i Want You Back/the Love You Save

EDIT How could I forget They Dont Care About Us. So simple and strong.

these are ones that have always stood out to me.

Last edited:

LOVE this, the rehearsal at the forum looks great.

2 Bad is out of this world!
I like also the spur of the moment choreography of:

and, of course,

Any of the Dangerous performances, but especially this one:

And this one:

Oh yes:

And

Smooth Criminal (Sort film)
Billie Jean (live)
Remember The Time (Short Film)
Dangerous (Live)
BAD (short film)

&

Best two performance of this song IMO, i'm curious about the TII rehearsals of this track for sure.

I quite like the dance routines from the Bad short film; it's so spontaneous and funky! Thriller's is a classic and the dancing in Remember The Time is pretty entertaining as well.

I think this could be another project: a DVD with his best dance routines from the 1968 audition to TII. Or it could be a 2-disk release: Disk 1: Documentary about him as a dancer - with professional dancers talking about him as a dancer etc., Disk 2: a collection of his best dances and routines.

There are a number of great ones in the Jacksons Variety as well.

Last edited:
2 Bad is easily the most physically exhausting dance Michael's ever put together, and probably the best.

Wow-this was a hard one. I was trying to decide and whittle my list down and spent the whole darn day on YouTube rewatching stuff!! Bad.

Billie Jean-Motown 25
Bad-film
Beat It-film
The Way You Make Me Feel-Grammys 88
Thriller-film

Honorable Mentions: Any of the Jackson Variety show dances-especially "Get/Happy, I got Rhythm"
Shake Your Body Down to the Ground-Yokohama

Top 5:

1. 2 Bad was pretty bad ass.
2. The Drill / They Don't Care About Us
3. Dangerous
4. Billie Jean- It's legendary. Never gets old.
5. Remember The Time

tumblr_mjywkeSkuh1qdl5f4o1_250.gif

tumblr_m93905S4mf1qdl5f4o1_250.gif

tumblr_m1q9njPbkc1qdl5f4o1_r1_250.gif

Here's what I have so far on my part.

WBSS (Bad Tour 1988)
[YOUTUBE]w8DKD0PoRSI[/YOUTUBE]

Dangerous (AMA 1993)
[YOUTUBE]Tvfe_3qALUk[/YOUTUBE]

Scream (1995)
[YOUTUBE]0P4A1K4lXDo[/YOUTUBE]

Bad (1987)
[YOUTUBE]dsUXAEzaC3Q[/YOUTUBE]

Smooth Criminal (Dangerous Tour 1992)
[YOUTUBE]zDvIwMLQWRQ[/YOUTUBE]

I was only thinking proper choregraphed routines in my first post.

If we're including freestyle or just funking your way across a stage them APOM @ Wembley and MITM @ Bucharest slay me every time.

I was thinking of choreographed dances as well - whether group dance or individual. So I would not include OTW Medley on History tour and the like. The focus of the thread is the DANCES - not any kind of performance that you like. I admit from that aspect the 1987 Shake Your Body is questionable as well. I just had to mention those body waves. LOL. Though I have seen Justin Timberlake emulate that group dance @4:29 in his concerts, so I guess we can call that a choreography as well.

I admit from that aspect the 1987 Shake Your Body is questionable as well. I just had to mention those body waves. LOL. Though I have seen Justin Timberlake emulate that group dance @4:29 in his concerts, so I guess we can call that a choreography as well.
I know. It looks so spontaneous but I was watching their performances on American Bandstand, Victory, etc. and the choreography is the same. A few years ago I watched an interview with Marlon when he talked about them creating the choreography for that and they call that section "shovel the funk."
I just love the Yokohama version the best.

Last edited:
The choreographie in the movie Ghost is amazing.

The dance part in Smooth Criminal that starts after 4:28:

3:39 is also great.

The choreography for 2Bad in Ghosts! That one is so badass!
I have seen Neyo, Chris Brown and Beyonce taken elements from this choreography and integrate it in their own videos/shows.

[youtube]UPUcbQcUyVU[/youtube]

Will You Be There's performance is powerful, super, the best, jaw-dropping. The stage is great. I love it. Love it. Love it.

We can't forget about this one. He looked great here. His performance was outstanding. He looked very confident.

One of his best.

And we can't forget about these ones:

Remember The Time
Scream
Smooth Criminal
Bad

I was watching Live at Wembley again today and seeing the performance of Billie Jean made me think of this thread.

One of my favourite 'moves' of his (actually, it's so simple maybe you can't even call it a move) is towards the end when he crosses the stage doing that sort of jaunty walk - at one point he has his hand to his ear and then he has his hand in his pocket. He does a very similar thing during Bad, too.

Like I said, it's so simple in the midst of all this difficult choreography but I just love it. There's something so sexy, confident and almost carefree to it.

One thing though, I wish directors would just have the confidence to have a camera point at him without having to switch angles all the time. It's just so distracting. They think they need to keep switching things about to hold our interest, but we're watching the greatest performer of all time - we don't need to be zooming right in and then so far back out that he's just a dot on the stage! And in Yokohama, we almost see more of the audience than MJ, at the MTV Awards they cut off his feet for most of Dangerous.

Sorry I just had to get that off my chest!:D

One thing though, I wish directors would just have the confidence to have a camera point at him without having to switch angles all the time. It's just so distracting. They think they need to keep switching things about to hold our interest, but we're watching the greatest performer of all time - we don't need to be zooming right in and then so far back out that he's just a dot on the stage! And in Yokohama, we almost see more of the audience than MJ, at the MTV Awards they cut off his feet for most of Dangerous.

Sorry I just had to get that off my chest!:D
I definitely agree with your take on his jaunty walk-crazy sexy. But yes, all those million audience shots etc. is why I don't like to watch the Dangerous tour.

Glad someone understood what I meant - I never know how else to describe it but as a 'jaunty walk'.:D

I suppose people would argue that audience shots provide 'atmosphere' but MJ's there on the stage, we don't need to see endless shots of anonymous people going crazy to know that, yes, it would have been great to be there!

I absolutely love 2bad, it's perfect! My second favorite has to be the MTV performance of Will you be there.
I also love the choreographies in Smooth Criminal, Bad and TWYMMF.. and like Tony said "If we're including freestyle or just funking your way across a stage" - APOM was the first thing that came to mind, plus the end of Human Nature, love that mime stuff! :D

^YES! I agree on both, love the 'jaunty walk':yes:! And about all those audience shots.. exactly! Even if it's for a few seconds, I always thinks to myself 'who knows what kind of awesome, sexy stuff he was doing in that moment?!' I just seriously have no interest in ANY footage that isn't Michael:laugh:

Back