Don't You Wish Morphine was on HIStory?

HIStory

Proud Member
In my mind the album would then start like this:

Scream, TDCAU, Stranger in Moscow, Morphine.

In my mind the album would then start like this:

Scream, TDCAU, Stranger in Moscow, Morphine.

That would be a great start of the album. I would put it instead of D.S. and Come Together.

That would be a great start of the album. I would put it instead of D.S. and Come Together.

Yes, I agree. Actually I have a playlist on Spotify called "Alternative History" and it goes like this:

1. Scream
2. TDCAU
3. Stranger in Moscow
4. Morphine
5. Earth Song
6. Money
7. 2 Bad
8. YANA
9. Childhood
10. Tabloid Junkie
11. Threatened
12. Is It Scary
13. History
14. Little Susie
15. Smile

Threatened of course is from Invincible, but to me thematically it fits more into HIStory. And I think Morphine absolutely should have been on History! HIStory tells His Story about that horrible period and Morphine belongs to the story.

Nah, I liked Morphine on BOTD.
HIStory would be perfect if it just dropped Come Together. Very odd choice to include that song on the album.

Yes, I agree. Actually I have a playlist on Spotify called "Alternative History" and it goes like this:

1. Scream
2. TDCAU
3. Stranger in Moscow
4. Morphine
5. Earth Song
6. Money
7. 2 Bad
8. YANA
9. Childhood
10. Tabloid Junkie
11. Threatened
12. Is It Scary
13. History
14. Little Susie
15. Smile

Threatened of course is from Invincible, but to me thematically it fits more into HIStory. And I think Morphine absolutely should have been on History! HIStory tells His Story about that horrible period and Morphine belongs to the story.

I agree completely, and I never understood why put Come Together in the middle of so many personal songs

BOTDF should have stayed as an EP, Morphine definitely belong's on that release IMO. 'Come Together' is great, and i'm glad it was released.

My first thought was no, but your alternative list works well actually.

Although YANA sticks out a bit now.

BOTDF should have stayed as an EP, Morphine definitely belong's on that release IMO. 'Come Together' is great, and i'm glad it was released.

But it was, in its full Moonwalker length on Remember The Time B-side.

I agree completely, and I never understood why put Come Together in the middle of so many personal songs
I read in another thread here, that they thought "Come Together" was on HIStory to remind people that HE bought that catalog. I rather like and agree with that idea.

^^ I'd love to hear Michael's version of 'Ferry Cross The Mersey'! i'm curious if he recorded 'Strawberry Fields Forever' as some say?

My first thought was no, but your alternative list works well actually.

Although YANA sticks out a bit now.

Well, yeah, but then he also got married during that period, so that song represents that in His Story.

I didn't mind Come Together being on HIStory, but it should have been on the tail end of the Greatest Hits cd instead. They could have chosen another track for track 8 of disc 2. On The Line would have fit good IMO.

I understand your point where you're coming from given the fact it's a very personal and brutally honest song which could belong to the HIStory album. I also agree it was right to leave on BOTDF because leaving those remixes aside, that's what it made that album brilliant those 4 dark, haunting and aggressive songs. So I'll leave it to Michael did the right choice to leave Morphine on BOTDF. It'd have been the most successful and brilliant EP.

NA, I like the BOTDF album the way it is.

I think that Come Together was included on HIStory to remind people that even though he had just been through the worst time ever, he was putting this on the album as a way of saying "Oh yeah. did you forget I own these songs? I'm gonna be alright I think....."

Great inclusion and a great part of his own History, the fact that it's still talked about how MJ acquired the ATV catalogue, one of his best moves.

NA, I like the BOTDF album the way it is.

The point isn't really whether BOTDF is good as it is, rather that HIStory could have been even better with Morphine on it IMO. Instead of D.S. and/or Come Together.

To Morphine thematically so belongs to HIStory. HIStory IMO is the closest to a concept album in MJ's catalog and Morphine instead of Come Together for example would have only strengthened that concept.

I respect Michael's creative decisions and i wish Sony respected his wishes, i don't really enjoy the remixes at all.. it was actually more expensive than his other records that i bought on CD back in the day (2004/5)

The point isn't really whether BOTDF is good as it is, rather that HIStory could have been even better with Morphine on it IMO. Instead of D.S. and/or Come Together.

To Morphine thematically so belongs to HIStory. HIStory IMO is the closest to a concept album in MJ's catalog and Morphine instead of Come Together for example would have only strengthened that concept.

No I still think HIStory is fine the way it is (which is what I meant to say originally also).

I think HIStory covers its themes perfectly with what it has. With the addition of morphine, the album crosses over that fine line of being a bit too dark. We already have songs about injustice, loneliness, deception/greed, tabloid garbage, police consipracy, death of a child. In my opinion adding Morphine here, while fitting in with the general theme of the album, could be a little too much to take.

The way the song is presented on BOTDF works for me. Michael is not attributing Morphine to the story told in HIStory because he might have thought the message came across too dark. He is acknowledging the fact that there were substance issues, but relegating it to the release of a remix album with 4 other tracks, while still giving it its day, in the publics eye the song and the lyrical content wouldnt be attributed to an album that he had intended to be about survival and breaking through.

Personally I dont think Morphine is up to the standard set by the songs on HIStory, but I still frickin love that song.

I respect Michael's creative decisions and i wish Sony respected his wishes, i don't really enjoy the remixes at all.. it was actually more expensive than his other records that i bought on CD back in the day (2004/5)

Yeah, I bought it at a rather high price as well. It should have been an EP. I never listen to the remixes.

But I think the original songs were mostly "rejects" from previous albums (Dangerous and HIStory) - but great ones. I think Morphine should have been on HIStory rather than CT or D.S. (though D.S. is fitting in the album's concept, I just think it's a weak song).

Yeah, I bought it at a rather high price as well. It should have been an EP. I never listen to the remixes.

But I think the original songs were mostly "rejects" from previous albums (Dangerous and HIStory) - but great ones. I think Morphine should have been on HIStory rather than CT or D.S. (though D.S. is fitting in the album's concept, I just think it's a weak song).

I love Michael's vocals in D.S! they're so raspy, and i love the rhythms. Yet it's a very powerful song and i'm sure extremely personal to Michael's situation during that time, i think it's great!

Personally I dont think Morphine is up to the standard set by the songs on HIStory, but I still frickin love that song.

Well, IMO it's better than D.S., Come Together and This Time Around at the very least.

It's not. Michael agreed to deliver a remix album when he signed the deal with Sony. Stop talking bullshit.

Ain't bullshit, Michael said himself that he wanted to leave the remixes out of it.

^Yeah, it's not. Michael said Sony convinced him children loved remixes but they didn't, Sony lied to him and it was part of his contract unfortunately.

I can't say I often listen to the remixes either, but I happened to be up at 4-5am the other day and I just had the remixes jamming on in the background and I rather enjoyed them... idk how to explain it. They felt 'right'.

Price-wise, I believe it was the same as Michael's studios albums for me. I bought Invincible along with it and they were the same price.

The remixes have a great nostalgic value to me. I listen to them and think "OH GOD, the 90s in a nutshell". I like some of them, Love a few of them.... but the 90's has a lot to answer for remix wise haha

Back