Was 'This Is It' always planned to be called that?

Tony R

Proud Member
Something I've wondered since the announcement, was the residency always going to be called This Is It, or did that title catch on after the press conference when Michael started chanting it and fist pumping the air?

I often wondered that myself. On one hand the official posters all said "This Is It", but I assumed at the time that it was more like a tag-line than anything else. I found it quite an odd title for a comeback show, but then it was the first tour not to be named after an actual album. I actually found the whole concept of him touring without having first released an album to be very odd as well.

I often wondered that myself. On one hand the official posters all said "This Is It", but I assumed at the time that it was more like a tag-line than anything else. I found it quite an odd title for a comeback show, but then it was the first tour not to be named after an actual album. I actually found the whole concept of him touring without having first released an album to be very odd as well.

Me too, but then this wasn't a tour, it was a residency like they do in Las Vegas so I guess that's slightly different. The whole situation was a bit strange though.

I remember all the excitement leading up to it and discussing it on MaxJax, we knew something was happening as there glints of appearances, Thriller 25, the Ebony shoot and for the first time shows like X Factor were dedicating shows to him.

I think the name caught on after to be honest.

I think it was the actual name of the residency. Yeah, it sounds like a sound bite but I think it struck MJ as a calling of arms back to his passion. We had T25, the KOP compilations, Ebony, La Vougue, ET interview with Will-I-Am, he was in the studio, he seemed to have gotten a bit of his stride back. Remember that quote from him also along the lines of "I feel that call once again....." Or something along those lines? I find it a little eerie now when I watch that press conference and he says "This is it! This is the final curtain call" & the way he stresses how much he loves his fans. Oh how I wish he performed a few of the shows & it was all captured on those amazing cameras. But then that's me being a bit selfish & thinking of having a quality live show on HD Sooper Dooper Double Trouble Blu Ray!

Kenny spoke about when the idea for the name first came into their thoughts, i believe it is part of the 'Memories Of Michael' featurette on the official Blu-Ray! would have been great to see him on stage one final time, indeed. I just hope he would have eaten enough, to ensure he wouldn't have blacked out...

Kenny spoke about when the idea for the name first came into their thoughts, i believe it is part of the 'Memories Of Michael' featurette on the official Blu-Ray! would have been great to see him on stage one final time, indeed. I just hope he would have eaten enough, to ensure he wouldn't have blacked out...
I hate even talking about it because I feel incredibly selfish, but can you imagine if he performed even one night & gave it everything he had & it was all captured from a hundered different angles! Just one last hurrah to show the world he still had it!

I hate even talking about it because I feel incredibly selfish, but can you imagine if he performed even one night & gave it everything he had & it was all captured from a hundered different angles! Just one last horay to show the world he still had it!

Imagine all the high def amateur footage we would have had from all the other 49 shows also? would have been lush, first show probably would have been best! i'm curious if he ever tried a full English? :D

Imagine all the high def amateur footage we would have had from all the other 49 shows also? would have been lush, first show probably would have been best! i'm curious if he ever tried a full English? :D
That would have been a bonus feature on the deluxe blu ray "MJ tries a full- English!" :D

That would have been a bonus feature on the deluxe blu ray "MJ tries a full- English!" :D

I'm curious if he would have only accepted the posh and refined rendition of that dish? ;)

I hate even talking about it because I feel incredibly selfish, but can you imagine if he performed even one night & gave it everything he had & it was all captured from a hundered different angles! Just one last hurrah to show the world he still had it!
I don't feel it's too selfish, I often think about it too and everyone (even MJ himself) would've wanted to see him pull off the best show ever! Oh how I long for just one show...

Imagine all the high def amateur footage we would have had from all the other 49 shows also?
I was thinking about that as well the other day! Mobile phone image quality was starting to take off in 2009 or so, you could expect these kinds of photos from an iPhone 3G (which came out July 2008) and these kinds of photos from an iPhone 3GS (June 2009)! Don't forget all the people who would've snuck in DSLR's and the like! (They're not really allowed but it hasn't stopped people from sneaking them into concerts I've attended).

Video-wise, I'm sure there would've been a few who snuck in consumer HD cameras (which were reasonably expensive back then IIRC, but not off-limits obv!). Don't even bother thinking about video quality off a phone back then though :p

Just imagine all the badass amateur photos from those up close... or the crowd photos from those with excellent cameras!! :girl_sigh:

Kenny also said during the Murray trial that MJ said This Is It so much while they were talking about the tour that he said to him why don't you just call the tour This Is It. MJ liked it.

I like the title ''This Is It'' cause it has a double meaning. It could mean ''This Is It, the final curtain call'' or it could mean ''This is it, the moment you've all been waiting for''

I like the title ''This Is It'' cause it has a double meaning. It could mean ''This Is It, the final curtain call'' or it could mean ''This is it, the moment you've all been waiting for''

in that introductory press conference, Michael said "This is it, this is really it, this is the final curtain call"....

"This is it,(The best shows ever,if you are going to see only one show in your life )this is really it, this is the final curtain call"

What is a "full English?"

I remember watching this press conference-pretty much in shock-it was weird because it was strange for me to be home during the week like that and also strange because I had the TV on CNN, which I rarely do. And I just sort of walked in on it-and was shocked because it seemed I hadn't seen him in years and he was announcing this? It was a really surreal deal for me.

At the time I really picked up on the line "this is it, this is the final curtain call" and thought "The Final Curtain" would be the name of the tour- since that's what he wanted to call the "Victory Tour" (Moonwalk) but was opposed.

The press conference had banners with This Is It. TV ads said This Is It.

I am pretty sure the tour was planned to be called This Is It.

Back