MJ at the height of his success

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
When was MJ really at the height of his success ?

Was he the night with the 8 Grammy awards in his arms ?

Was he during the very successful BAD World Tour ?

Was he during the first leg of Dangerous World Tour ?

or some other time ?

Record sales: Thriller
Tour: Bad
Artistic peak: Dangerous-HIStory

I'd say that his absolute peak was 1993 after he did Super Bowl and Oprah Winfrey interview, just before he was falsely accused. If that didn't happen he would continue to tour South America and eventually North America and he would become bigger in US than he ever was.

Record sales: Thriller
Tour: Bad
Artistic peak: Dangerous-HIStory

Exactly.

I'd say that his absolute peak was 1993 after he did Super Bowl and Oprah Winfrey interview, just before he was falsely accused. If that didn't happen he would continue to tour South America and eventually North America and he would become bigger in US than he ever was.

Yes, he was just about to turn American attitudes around them after Oprah and then Grammys speech.

Yes.:bow:

Just imagine if he did stadiums in US in 1994! Dangerous short film. Maybe even Why You Wanna Trip On Me single after that. Addams Family Values soundtrack. Is It Scary short film.

Just imagine if he did stadiums in US in 1994! Dangerous short film. Maybe even Why You Wanna Trip On Me single after that. Addams Family Values soundtrack. Is It Scary short film.

It makes me mad to think about how much the Chandlers ruined: Michael's life most of all, but also a lot of potentially great projects.

Bad era in my opinion. It might be Thriller in reality because that is of course the biggest selling album of all time. :)

When was MJ really at the height of his success ?
I think to be absolutely specific about the height of his success and not the height of his talent or creative ability, would be the period of time between May 83 when Motown 25 aired on TV and March 85, when "We are the World" came out.

During that two year period, there wasn't a man, woman, child, ages 4 to 94, black, white, green, purple or whatever in the world that didn't absolutely love and adore and were mesmerized by Michael. He was constantly in the news. Every move he made was monitored by the press. Dare anyone to say anything negative about him (as a handful did during the Victory Tour ticket fiasco) and you were liable to be attacked and beaten to a bloody pulp.

The first time I started seeing the tide turn was with the hydrobaric chamber story, which was just a little harmless thing that was publicity for Captain EO-if that story had been about anyone else, it would have been forgotten in 24 hours.
But that two year period of success was the basis for everything that came later-both good and bad.

OnirMJ;4080097 said:

That could be an answer to this question: “Would MJ’s career have been greater without the accusations?”

In fact, nobody can answer this.

barbee0715;4080234 said:
I think to be absolutely specific about the height of his success and not the height of his talent or creative ability, would be the period of time between May 83 when Motown 25 aired on TV and March 85, when "We are the World" came out.

During that two year period, there wasn't a man, woman, child, ages 4 to 94, black, white, green, purple or whatever in the world that didn't absolutely love and adore and were mesmerized by Michael. He was constantly in the news. Every move he made was monitored by the press. Dare anyone to say anything negative about him (as a handful did during the Victory Tour ticket fiasco) and you were liable to be attacked and beaten to a bloody pulp.

The first time I started seeing the tide turn was with the hydrobaric chamber story, which was just a little harmless thing that was publicity for Captain EO-if that story had been about anyone else, it would have been forgotten in 24 hours.
But that two year period of success was the basis for everything that came later-both good and bad.

True.

mj_frenzy;4080248 said:
That could be an answer to this question: “Would MJ’s career have been greater without the accusations?”

No. That is my answer to your original question in the first post of this thread. If you don't like other people's opinions then you shouldn't have made thread like this.

barbee0715;4080234 said:

James Baldwin saw it coming in 1985

“The Michael Jackson cacophony is fascinating in that it is not about Jackson at all. I hope he has the good sense to know it and the good fortune to snatch his life out of the jaws of a carnivorous success. He will not swiftly be forgiven for having turned so many tables, for he damn sure grabbed the brass ring, and the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo has nothing on Michael. All that noise is about America, as the dishonest custodian of black life and wealth; the blacks, especially males, in America; and the burning, buried American guilt; and sex and sexual roles and sexual panic; money, success and despair…”

respect77;4080262 said:

“The Michael Jackson cacophony is fascinating in that it is not about Jackson at all. I hope he has the good sense to know it and the good fortune to snatch his life out of the jaws of a carnivorous success. He will not swiftly be forgiven for having turned so many tables, for he damn sure grabbed the brass ring, and the man who broke the bank at Monte Carlo has nothing on Michael. All that noise is about America, as the dishonest custodian of black life and wealth; the blacks, especially males, in America; and the burning, buried American guilt; and sex and sexual roles and sexual panic; money, success and despair…”

what happened to Michael is much deeper than what is expressed here

respect77;4080262 said:

I have read this prophetic passage a million times since back in 1985 and each time I read it, it just becomes more and more significant and heartbreaking to me. Michael did have the good sense to know it and did eventually try to snatch his life out of the jaws of a carnivorous success-but by then, it was too late.

He was already considered a show biz legend before releasing Off The Wall. Through the underground, with Off The Wall, he was already seen as the best entertainer in the world

the greatest anticipated follow up album in history was Bad and rightfully so, to build on that anticipation, it coincided with MJ setting out to perform his first ever solo tour

with Dangerous, it may have appeared to be his peak by his international fans since his support became more exclusive there, since he was performing in 100,000 seat venues

with HIstory it was more about introducing new fans to his classic songs along with issuing a body of new songs centered on the events of 1993...that albums was more of a celebration of his entire career up until that point

Thriller proved to be Michael's peak because he would spent the remainder of his career trying to surpass it with Bad, Dangerous, and History

HIs peak due to the balance of who bought his albums, he achieved similar sales domestically as he did overseas....

what was amazing about Thriller the album was released in relative obscurity and just continued to build momentum w/each and every single, each and every video, it was like the little freight train that could until it gain full steam and blazed like a locomotive...that's literally how it happened....one knockout after the next.....

with Dangerous, it may have appeared to be his peak by his international fans, since he was performing in 100,000 seat venues

This is one of the reasons I said 1993. Because he was the biggest star in the world. He was worldwide superstar, he was global and remained that until the day he died. He achieved that with Dangerous Tour. Thriller and Victory Tour was his peak in US, commercially. But even in States, I would say his absolute peak was 1993 because he was more powerful than in 1984, he had more money, he did have more haters, but he also had more fans worldwide... If he continued with Dangerous Tour in US in 1994 he would become more popular in US than ever. Touring is everything in music industry, and performing stadiums in front of 100.000 people would turn people's mind from his personal life and tabloid junk back to his music and live performances.

Back