Smooth Criminal - The greatest video of all time

analogue

Proud Member
Who else thinks that Smooth Criminal is the greatest video of all time? I saw it when i was 4 years old and i've seen nothing better since. The atmospher, the camera work, the dancing is just fantastic.

Last edited:
Yes. I've got very special memories of Smooth Criminal. There was a show on BBC2 who were teasing us with clips for ages and each week I had my video ready to record (I was 14 at the time).

When I finally saw the full version, I was blown away. If I haven't seen it for a while and watch it now, I'm still blown away.

I remember when he did the extra lyrics in verse 2, I was so chuffed!

It def has the best choreography of any video (MJ or otherwise), the lean is awesome and he looks amazing.

Can't believe it was 20 years ago.

One of best videos ever made, yes totally. The lean really was the best thing ever in the video and plus the dancing of course. It was just perfectly done. The song matches the whole thing perfectly. The outfit, dancing, the atmosphere, Everything was just perfect.

This is my favorite MJ video. I first saw it when I was around 6 -7 years old, and I was blown away. Absolutely love it. :yes:

It could be, for me it is! I love everything about it! The story, the dance routine, the lean, the customes, the dancers, Michael of course... It's just awesome and perfect in every way!!!

It is definitley my favorite music video of all time. The costumes, the settings, the choreography, the timing, everything. To me it feels more iconic than thriller, insofar as represnting Michael's overall image and style.

I agree. I think "Smooth Criminal" is amazing and is definitely my fave music video ever. It has everything you can possibly want in a video and it is thoroughly entertaining. I remember seeing an interview somewhere with Michael a while ago and he said he gets more comments from people about "Smooth Criminal" than any of his other video's and i'm not suprised. It's a masterpiece.

I agree with you all. It was Smooth Criminal and together with his Motown 25 performance that totally and irreversibly made me a fan of Michael the artist. (I was already in his corner as a person after my personal assessment of went on at the time of the trial.

It is! The song combined with the video is pure perfection. The whole atmosphere and clothes and moves and everyhting like you guys already said. I could watch it for hours.

Definitely one of the best videos ever made, but I don't think it's the best.

I have to agree it comes pretty close to perfection though!

It is definitley my favorite music video of all time. The costumes, the settings, the choreography, the timing, everything. To me it feels more iconic than thriller, insofar as represnting Michael's overall image and style.

I agree with you all. It was Smooth Criminal and together with his Motown 25 performance that totally and irreversibly made me a fan of Michael the artist. (I was already in his corner as a person after my personal assessment of went on at the time of the trial.

It is! The song combined with the video is pure perfection. The whole atmosphere and clothes and moves and everyhting like you guys already said. I could watch it for hours.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

Yes! The nicest and the bestest! :lol:

The song, the video, the live performance, the lean, any Smooth Criminal-related is sure to be awesome!

I will always remember this music video. My dad and I watch MJ's videos when I was really young, and as a kid I was so blown away by Smooth Criminal and other videos.

The choreography, the setting, clothes was just great! I love the lean!

Smoonth Criminal is truely a masterpiece! One of his best videos! Best? For me, it really depends on my mood. :)

Last edited:
YES YES YES! Smooth crim is definitely my fave, nothing beats it! Amazing dance, amazing choreography, amazing costumes. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time that i saw it, and nothing i've seen since seems to come close to it.

i think with smooth criminal, i prefer the video then the actual song by its self, because i think its just a fab and unique video.

I think Smooth Criminal might honestly be the best music video I've ever seen. It's hands down the best choreography in a Michael Jackson video, hence the best choreography in a video. I always said it's a shame that the whole thing was only on Moonwalker, and they released that sped up video as the single. I love Moonwalker, but if Smooth Criminal were released as a standalone music video with a little build-up prior to the song like in Thriller, a lot more people would've seen it and argued it to be the best. Thriller is genius and deserves all the credit it gets, but it does sort of irk me when Smooth Criminal sometimes gets forgotten when people talk about "greatest music video of all-time" mostly because the whole thing wasn't released as a single.

I do ponder at times what it'd be like if Smooth Criminal video were released by itself in its entirety in a way reminiscent of Thriller.

"Due to my strong personal convictions, I wish to stress that this film in no way endorses organized crime nor the murder of women." :cool:

Last edited:
Actually for me I think it's Ghosts, then Smooth Criminal then Thriller.
You can really see MJ's acting chops in it. It took me the Making Of part of the video to realize he was the mayor guy. Also it has some of the absolute best choreography i've seen period.

It's REALLY tough for me to choose between the 3 though. When I was younger Smooth Criminal was everything for me. I remember watching it when i was 4 or so, when they had like a week long Michael Jackson marathon on both VH1 and MTV. I was completely entranced by the entire Moonwalker version of it from the song, to the dancing to the story. It was just completely magical. I remember trying to imitate the dance but failing miserably lol

I love smooth criminal, but I am extremely partial to Beat It. I just love to watch them gangsters crawling out of their holes to spar with each other.

I love "Smooth Criminal" so much :) I prefer Moonwalker version. Especially this part when Michael dance with a girl after first chorus :wild: :mello: :wub:

Last edited:
The short film is awesome:yes:I recently watched it about three times. I didn't watch it in a long time, coz I don't like the song very much, but the vid is aaaaawwwweeesome :wild::wild::wild:

Smooth Criminal is one bad ass video no doubt, i grew up on Muchmusic (Canada's mtv)
and i cant recall another video that used that rapid fast forward technique watcha ma callit.Michael looks smooth,as always, but extra badass cus he rocking the mobster look
IN WHITE!and its Mikey!Come on in a white mobster suit!!!!!!!!!and a ponytail!!!gaaahhjhjh!

But I still like Remember the Time film better but i'll save why for some future RTT thread.

i looove it, everytime i watch it, it reminds me of a disney movie or something like that from the late 80's....love it

however, i think Leave Me Alone is his best wooooo

I LOVE Smooth Criminal, it's the first MJ video I ever saw, so it's got the whole nostalgic factor, anyone who actually pays attention to my posts :)lol:) knows I'm a Smooth Criminal loon! Amazing choreography, so abstract and ambiguous, the suit/costumes, the bass, the lean (which as a child I thought was real, MJ was so magical in that vid he could somehow defy the laws of gravity :lol:) and I love the way the music stops, they're all making noise and shuffling, then suddenly MJ jumps out with "Annie are you okay!!?" and the music suddenly kicks in and they start dancing.

Last edited:
Who else thinks that Smooth Criminal is the greatest video of all time? I saw it when i was 4 years old and i've seen nothing better since. The atmospher, the camera work, the dancing is just fantastic.

SC is just great!
But there are tooooooooooo many amazing MJ'short films to say that this one is the best.
I love a lot!
But this one is special, too:D

The short film is awesome:yes:I recently watched it about three times. I didn't watch it in a long time, coz I don't like the song very much, but the vid is aaaaawwwweeesome :wild::wild::wild:
you don't like the song:mello:?

it's awesome... imo:D;)

Back