Janet hints at 'J5' reunion (threads merged)

mkgenie

Proud Member
http://www.todayonline.com/articles/232496.asp

Janet Jackson hints at 'Jackson 5' reunion Wed Jan 16, 3:00 AM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - The Jackson 5, one of the most successful US groups of all time, could be getting back together, according to Janet Jackson, who urged her older brother Michael to get back on stage for a reunion.

Rumors that the Jackson brothers could be planning a comeback have been circulating for years, but Janet Jackson told AFP in a recent interview she hoped the time was finally approaching.

"I hope so. I really hope so because I'll be the first in line to buy a ticket," she said. "I do know that my brothers want to and I know it's been kind of tough for Mike. He's kind of on the fence, from what I know about it."

The Jackson 5, who last performed as The Jacksons with six members, were rumored to be planning a reunion just before Michael Jackson went on trial for child abuse in 2005.

"Maybe he just wants to continue to be a solo artist and if that's what he wants then you have to respect his wishes," Janet said. "But what an impact it would have on the world and he has to see that because everyone else does.

"I think he'd have to be blind not to see that," she added.

The Jackson 5, featuring an 11-year-old Michael Jackson and brothers Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, and Marlon, were scooped up by Motown records in 1968 and soon found fame with hits such as "I Want You Back" and "ABC."
They were later joined by brother Randy and last toured together in 1984, formally disbanding in 1990.

Jermaine Jackson said last year the group had discussed getting back together and were hoping to appear together some time in 2008.
Janet Jackson, currently promoting her latest album "Discipline," due out next month, is the youngest and ninth child in the family.

Janet Jackson hints at 'Jackson 5' reunion

The Jackson 5, one of the most successful US groups of all time, could be getting back together, according to Janet Jackson, who urged her older brother Michael to get back on stage for a reunion.
Rumors that the Jackson brothers could be planning a comeback have been circulating for years, but Janet Jackson told AFP in a recent interview she hoped the time was finally approaching.
"I hope so. I really hope so because I'll be the first in line to buy a ticket," she said. "I do know that my brothers want to and I know it's been kind of tough for Mike. He's kind of on the fence, from what I know about it."
The Jackson 5, who last performed as The Jacksons with six members, were rumored to be planning a reunion just before Michael Jackson went on trial for child abuse in 2005.
"Maybe he just wants to continue to be a solo artist and if that's what he wants then you have to respect his wishes," Janet said. "But what an impact it would have on the world and he has to see that because everyone else does.
"I think he'd have to be blind not to see that," she added.
The Jackson 5, featuring an 11-year-old Michael Jackson and brothers Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, and Marlon, were scooped up by Motown records in 1968 and soon found fame with hits such as "I Want You Back" and "ABC."
They were later joined by brother Randy and last toured together in 1984, formally disbanding in 1990.
Jermaine Jackson said last year the group had discussed getting back together and were hoping to appear together some time in 2008.
Janet Jackson, currently promoting her latest album "Discipline," due out next month, is the youngest and ninth child in the family.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hdVLXtorKzaQuZI3zfoff3mW5dNQ

Re: Janet Jackson hints at 'Jackson 5' reunion

I think ,over 90% of the fans is to see Michael

AW: Janet Jackson hints at 'Jackson 5' reunion

He ain't loosin anything! Mike back with his brothers on stage add a hot new solo record and he'll be back ruling universe.

And don't even think of blamin it on the boogie!

Nowhere7

Re: AW: Janet Jackson hints at 'Jackson 5' reunion

He ain't loosin anything! Mike back with his brothers on stage add a hot new solo record and he'll be back ruling universe.

And don't even think of blamin it on the boogie!

Nowhere7
I would love to see all the brothers on stage. I think it is unfortunate for the brothers that Mike is the leader of the group. Every other successful groups have been able to reunite except the Jacksons all because of MJ, yet we know that there is a huge fanbase outthere wanting and hoping for a Jackson reunion. It would be mornumental, Janet is right. Jackson and J5 fans want the group back. MJ can incorporate his solo act around them, he has done it before. Do it MJ, WE want you back.:D

I would love to see all the brothers on stage. I think it is unfortunate for the brothers that Mike is the leader of the group. Every other successful groups have been able to reunite except the Jacksons all because of MJ, yet we know that there is a huge fanbase outthere wanting and hoping for a Jackson reunion. It would be mornumental, Janet is right. Jackson and J5 fans want the group back. MJ can incorporate his solo act around them, he has done it before. Do it MJ, WE want you back.:D

I think it is unfair to slam MJ if he wants to remain solo, if the brothers want to reunite they can, it has been their choice to pin all their hopes on Mike. At least Janet realizes that while it is her dream, Michael has the right to NOT want to reunite, I certaintly wouldn't hold it against him.

I think it is unfair to slam MJ if he wants to remain solo, if the brothers want to reunite they can, it has been their choice to pin all their hopes on Mike. At least Janet realizes that while it is her dream, Michael has the right to NOT want to reunite, I certaintly wouldn't hold it against him.
Where did I slam MJ? I said the brothers cannot go without him as he is the lead singer. There are many Jackson fans and J5 fans who want the brothers to reunite because of sentimental reasons, like, 'we grew up together' sort of thing. Many of them would not care too much for the present music of Mj but love Jackson and J5 music, which has a lot of happy memories for them. Many of them are still fans of MJ because of his history and have stuck by him.
MJ has been around for a very long time now. Those older fans and some newer ones would like to see a reunion. Actually I think the whole world would like to see one, you just have to see the way the media reacted to the thought of one. J5 and the Jacksons were the biggest group after the beatles. They knocked the beatles off the charts. They have fans who want a reunion. So do I.:D

Last edited:

commercially, a reunion would be bangin' !!

Artistically, it could be a bit contrived or limiting. It wouldn't have to be as such but an artist might not want to work around that issue.

I would cut off my right ... no make that my left arm, for the chance to see them all perform again (with the understanding that Mike would be performing his solo work on stage also).

Could should would might gonna not happen or maybe yes ....

However, I am not gonna get all excited about it and get my hopes up. If it happens, F'in A I will scream and holla from the ticket lines. Until then, it is in Mike's hands.

Where did I slam MJ? I sais the brothers cannot go without him as he is he lead singer. There are many Jackson fans and J5 fans who want the brothers to reunite because of sentimental reasons, like, 'we grew up together' sort of thing. Many of them would not care too much for the present music of Mj but love Jackson and J5 music, which has a lot of happy memories for them. Many of them are still fans of MJ because of his history and have stuck by him. MJ has been around for a very long time now. Those older fans and some newer ones would like to see a reunion. Actually I think the whole world would like to see one, you just have to see the way the media reacted to the thought of one. J5 and the Jacksons were the biggest group after the beatles. They knocked the beatles off the charts. They have fans who want a reunion. So do I.:D

No, you didnt slam MJ at all ;) Punch may have been replying to more comments than yours alone, when he hit the quote button on your post. Or misunderstood the comment you made. Either way, your post did not come across as a slam on Michael :)

How many of us would pay to see the Jacksons minus Michael ?? No matter how much I enjoy the Jacksons music, I want Lil' Michael upfront. I would feel completely cheated if I showed up and Michael was not there with them. The Brothers obviously know this fact, which explains why they have not reunited without Michael.

Last edited:

BS janet. it's not like the world is craving for a renunion. Don't put that pressure on Michael. If anything, they, we, want to see Michael. Thats all.

Last edited:

commercially, a reunion would be bangin' !!

Artistically, it could be a bit contrived or limiting. It wouldn't have to be as such but an artist might not want to work around that issue.

I would cut off my right ... no make that my left arm, for the chance to see them all perform again (with the understanding that Mike would be performing his solo work on stage also).

Could should would might gonna not happen or maybe yes ....

However, I am not gonna get all excited about it and get my hopes up. If it happens, F'in A I will scream and holla from the ticket lines. Until then, it is in Mike's hands.
Yes, a J5 reunion would be a sell out in no time. I believe it will happen. I think MJ want to do it too, but he needs to get his solo business straightened out first, but he too must have been listening to the overwhelming demand for a J5 reunion. It would be sensational and groundbreaking. They don't need no new songs either, Them old J5 and jackson songs would do nicely thank you and of courde MJ's solo songs would be mixing in with them. Think of 'shake your body',.'lovely one', 'things I do for you', one can go , 'Blame it on the Boogey'. Please michael.:D

Last edited:

BS janet. it's not like the world is craving for a renunion. Don't put that pressure on Michael. If anything, they, we, want to see Michael. Thats all.

Thats how i see it as well, the Jacksons went to Atlanta over the New Years and nobody really talked about it, if Michael had been there solo best believe there would have been a media storm.

No, you didnt slam MJ at all ;) Punch may have been replying to more comments than yours alone, when he hit the quote button on your post. Or misunderstood the comment you made. Either way, your post did not come across as a slam on Michael :)

How many of us would pay to see the Jacksons minus Michael ?? No matter how much I enjoy the Jacksons music, I want Lil' Michael upfront. I would feel completely cheated if I showed up and Michael was not there with them. The Brothers obviously know this fact, which explains why they have not reunited without Michael.
That's it in a nutshell. people want to see the brothers but they want to see MJ front and centre. There is nothing so powerful to me as seeing them 6 brothers on stage together. I love them.:D

maybe mike could do part-solo and part-family tour? cuz the jacksons also have a huge fanbase, not just with the j5 classics, but all their disco hits back in the 70s...i would love to see all brothers even the sisters joining in...rebbie is one hell of a singer!:D i guess, only time will tell...

Last edited:

Michael with his brothers would be less stressful than MJ alone I believe. He wouldn't have to work as hard.:p he would also have some decent backup singer for a change and not some people singing out of tune. Also when he turns the spotline and points to his brothers they would actually be standing there with him and not the empty space that we see in his concerts.

Last edited:

i hope it happens but then again i want to happen whatever michael wants so i wanna see it happening only if he really wants it. no pressure. its The King's call not ours. period

I would really want MJ to do SOLO performances, maybe a Jackson family reunion SHOW.. But major concerts being for himself. There are only a FEW benifits of having his brothers with him, and it's honostly not worth it.. One major one is that Michael would/could get a break to collect his energy while Jermaine performs one-two of his songs. (as he always does on stage) Helping MJ keep his energy at HIGH peaks throughout the WHOLE concert..

HOWEVER there are ways for MJ to get his rest without his brothers.
1) the way the peformances are ordered.. FAst song, fast song, slow song.. etc...

2) In between songs he usually has lights, music, and video going while MJ is changing and/or getting his breath..

TO be honest the main reason why I don't want his brothers to be with MJ on a concert set is that means LESS SOLO MJ stuff. he'll have to do a concert simular to 30th anniversary, (which was really cool) but he cut out SO many cool performances that I would have loved to see him do.

Thriller
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Man In The Mirror
Dangerous
Human Nature/Stranger In Moscow (or simular type performance)

the list goes on.. The more he has to share the stage, the less we get of MJ.. and I mean MJ doing MJ. Not MJ doin' J5..

ALL the brothers, joseph, janet, and even katherine have ALWAYS tried convincing Mike into doing this... it extends back 25 years or more. Theyre ALWAYS trying to get a reunion tour happening. Mike never wants to do it.

I would really want MJ to do SOLO performances, maybe a Jackson family reunion SHOW.. But major concerts being for himself. There are only a FEW benifits of having his brothers with him, and it's honostly not worth it.. One major one is that Michael would/could get a break to collect his energy while Jermaine performs one-two of his songs. (as he always does on stage) Helping MJ keep his energy at HIGH peaks throughout the WHOLE concert..

HOWEVER there are ways for MJ to get his rest without his brothers.
1) the way the peformances are ordered.. FAst song, fast song, slow song.. etc...

2) In between songs he usually has lights, music, and video going while MJ is changing and/or getting his breath..

TO be honest the main reason why I don't want his brothers to be with MJ on a concert set is that means LESS SOLO MJ stuff. he'll have to do a concert simular to 30th anniversary, (which was really cool) but he cut out SO many cool performances that I would have loved to see him do.

Thriller
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Man In The Mirror
Dangerous
Human Nature/Stranger In Moscow (or simular type performance)

the list goes on.. The more he has to share the stage, the less we get of MJ.. and I mean MJ doing MJ. Not MJ doin' J5..
I hear you, but don't forget that that MSG performance had lots of others too, with Mj and his brothers, they could do Mj songs together, don't forget that they have done it before on the 'Jacksons Live' album. The Jackson brothers are the best backup group for MJ, I believe, they harmonise much better than any other group MJ has had on tour. I so hate to hear anyone else singing Jermaines part of I'll be there. It just doesn't sound right. Even Katherine has had something to say about that.

^ ya I know. But you know also that the many of the Jacksons want solo spots as well.. within the late 70's - mid 80's MJ would even leave the stage as some of them get their solo's.. (that always annoyed me)

ALSO, you have to remember 30th anniversary was a TRIBUTE to Michael Jackson. Meaning they HAD to do MJ songs. (songs that made HIM famous etc. It would not make sence for any other Jackson to get Solo parts..

With a Jackson's concert, Mike would HAVE to share the stage..

This is what I think would really be AWSOME..

Michael does 14 performances, 2 concerts on each populated continent. One on the east coast and west coast on each one.. Giving people a fair shot on making it to the concert, yet with only 14 concerts it rises the DEMAND to see him.. AND 'talk' of the FIRST ever concert set that touches EVERY POPULATED continent would be another ground breaking feat.

NOW picture this..

On top of the concert, his LAST concert could be an HBO special. Without anyone knowing durring a part of the concert the JACKSONS suprize everyone by performing with MJ durring the songs that could include them.. (Motown Medley etc.)

Later that HBO special would be released on DVD, but only as a collectors edition of the NEW MJ album.. Meaning to get the DVD ppl have to get the album. (MORE SALES)

Last edited:
I hope it happens :) but like someone said above, it's up to Michael, and anyway we're getting some new music and a lot more from him this year. :):)

Thanks for posting.

Interesting what Janet said. Jermaine made it seem as though MJ was all about reuniting withhis brothers. Well, at this point, it is up in the air.

I would love to see MJ and his brothers perform as well. And lets face it, if MJ was not in the tour, who would come or care?

I honsetly think if michael wants 2 do it, it should be by HIS CHOICE!! and no one elses!. Sure i would love to see them together again, but personally i think mike has lot so much time solo wise since 93- i think this is his time 2 shine!.

I am a bit torn about this. I men I want to see MJ and the J5 and I know that if the J5 perform without MJ I might not be as interested but then it could ever work wonders for the brothers' and MJ careers or seriously backfire.

To me all this Janet talk makes me feel as if she is desperately trying to reach MJ to sort of convince him to do this (its like letting everyone know that Mike is the only one preventing the union, which can cause unnecessary guilt on MJ's part or 'hate' from fans of J5 towards MJ). I am not hearing anything about the 'material' the brothers have prepared or any studio time etc they have done so it seems as if its not a well thought threw idea. It makes me think that its just an attempt to pay child-support etc rather than really do something meaningful/memorable. In this sense I feel as if the 'pressure' on MJ is unfair. If he did this and it flopped it could seriously hurt his career!

Also the different versions between what Jermaine said and what Janet is saying makes me uneasy, I get the feeling that they are not really talking with MJ. Like they haven't really sat down and discussed issues. They don't really seem to know what's going on.

I hope that MJ does what he feels is right. I wish them all the best.

Back