Here's some clips of Barbra Streisand

Here's some clips of the only other singer I consider to actually be on Michael's level. Streisand is one of the most talented people on this planet. Her voice is otherworldly, she's is a very good actress, a good comedian and just all around a massive talent. Check her out in her prime. You'll get an idea of why Michael is so anamored with her. She will blow you away.

A Piece of Sky (From her 1981 film Yentl)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt_jjHAQoJU

Cry Me A River

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2TA6LQmP0ec

Happy Days Are Here Again

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fA8OmK3qslw

Bother, Bewitched and Bewildered

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=r_CbGjKLpfE

Woman In The Moon (From her film A Star Is Born)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PYe1LgS13oY

Memory

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I7IzxRsFjJE

Last edited:
truly great voice - i've never really delved much into her work before, thanks for those links.

but i have to say the likes of Billie Holiday, Aretha and Sarah Brightman made your introduction quite an overhype when i was listening to those links :p lol but undoubtedly great voice.

In my view, Streisand blows all those singers out of the water and she is generally regarded as the greatest female vocalist of the 20th century for a reason. The quality of her voice, along with her power and control and expression is only matched by Michael and Patsy Cline, in my view. The truth is though, I didn't start this thread to get in to an argument over who is better between Streisand and those you mentioned, and I've listened to all those you've mentioned, particularly Billie Holiday and Sara Brightman, but rather just to give people an idea of what Michael's talking about when he speaks so highly of Barbra Streisand. She is, after all, the one singer who he has consistently mentioned wanting to work with from the early 80s all the way through to now.

Last edited:
In my view, Streisand blows all those singers out of the water and she is generally regarded as the greatest female vocalist of the 20th century for a reason.
no arguments.. just replying to your statements! i think the field is so varied to pin one artist as the greatest but where did you get the idea that she's generally regarded as the greatest?

It's a common opinion. There were people in the 70s who would buy the most high tech, cutting edge sound equipment JUST to listen to Streisand. They wouldn't bother with any other vocalists. They bought that equipment just to hear her sing. She also has been voted numerous times in various polls as the greatest female vocalist of the 20th century. It's why, on the occasions she actually decides to perform live, she can charge $1000, $2000, $3000 a ticket, and people pay it without even thinking twice. It's a very common opinion.

Last edited:
I can't say i'm a big fan of her music (I prefer her as an actress) but yes she does have an incredible voice.

Last edited:
That's cool, thanks for the comment. I don't want to fight, just wanted to give some examples of her voice and let people see what it's all about without it melting into bickering over whose the best, lol.

In my view, Streisand blows all those singers out of the water and she is generally regarded as the greatest female vocalist of the 20th century for a reason. The quality of her voice, along with her power and control and expression is only matched by Michael and Patsy Cline, in my view. The truth is though, I didn't start this thread to get in to an argument over who is better between Streisand and those you mentioned, and I've listened to all those you've mentioned, particularly Billie Holiday and Sara Brightman, but rather just to give people an idea of what Michael's talking about when he speaks so highly of Barbra Streisand. She is, after all, the one singer who he has consistently mentioned wanting to work with from the early 80s all the way through to now.

Agreed! She's outstanding & one of my long-time fav's! I strongly recommend Barbara Streisand Christmas, as one of the best Holiday albums, ever!

Awesome! I'm glad you like her! I get the feeling there's not too many fans around here, lol. You mean her Christmas album from the 60s? Because I know she did another one in 2001 which is great, funny enough, it was released the same day as "Invincible", lol. She has I think over 60 albums released at this point. But she's amazing, a real force. I remember Donna Summer, who is an amazing singer, said that when she was singing her duet with Streisand "No More Tears", that she fell off the stool trying to hold a note with her, lol. She was joking, but it shows her admiration for Streisand, and that says a lot coming from Summer.

Last edited:
It sure is. I love how she puts so much exuberance in to "Jingle Bells", for one. She acts her songs out, she doesn't just sing them.

Ohhhh..for the chance to see her live..:eek:.
She's one of the all time..greatEST!

My holiday seasons have always kicked off with the music of both Nat King Cole & Streisand!:D

lol, I wish. It's funny you should mention that, because my brother, who's the biggest Streisand fan ever, has seen her twice, on her most recent tour. The second time he was in the second row! Crazy. He's way lucky. I've seen Celion Dion, which was fantastic, the best show I've ever been to, but even she isn't as good as Streisand, in terms of quality anyway.

I remember Donna Summer, who is an amazing singer, said that when she was singing her duet with Streisand "No More Tears", that she fell off the stool trying to hold a note with her, lol. She was joking, but it shows her admiration for Streisand, and that says a lot coming from Summer.
I think Donna literally passed out, at least I think that was she said in her autobiography. It was years ago I read it, so don't exactly remember.

I :heart: Barbra! She's amazing! I love her music and her movies too! I could watch Funny Girl over and over and over!

Back