MJ and using real instruments on album?

GRIGA01

Proud Member
Hey evereyone, i was just thinking. A few months ago i remember someone in here quoting that MJ was gunu be using real instruments on his new album instead of a drum box like back in the thriller and bad days. I dunno if this is true or not but if anyone has heard about it and has a direct quote could you please show me it as i dunno wether its true or not, But i think it would be really awesome if it was as everybody these days uses fake drum sounds and my personal favourite mj songs all had real instruments recorded.

I hadn't heard that, but really hope it's true too. It would be really refreshing eh?

using more acoustic instruments would be a good thing for me to hear behind MJ's voice. and there's no such thing as "fake" instruments. synths/samplers are a great tool when used right and can remain timeless.

Hey evereyone, i was just thinking. A few months ago i remember someone in here quoting that MJ was gunu be using real instruments on his new album instead of a drum box like back in the thriller and bad days. I dunno if this is true or not but if anyone has heard about it and has a direct quote could you please show me it as i dunno wether its true or not, But i think it would be really awesome if it was as everybody these days uses fake drum sounds and my personal favourite mj songs all had real instruments recorded.

have you heard the remixes of thriller25?? i think they are using lot of natural instruments...and they are going to do it more in the new album..will iam was clear..we are going against to what is happening now in music we are not going to be minimal...

using more acoustic instruments would be a good thing for me to hear behind MJ's voice. and there's no such thing as "fake" instruments. synths/samplers are a great tool when used right and can remain timeless.

I agree. Synths (nowadays mostly software) are not fake at all. They are very capable to be much like real instruments - if you just can use them enough - and you can very well build your own sounds or for example drum patterns and then the synth is just kinda virtual instrumentalist. The best part in synths are that great ones don't play "wrong".. This talking about "fakeness" comes mostly from those people who don't understand synths enough to use them well enough...

There are thousands of acts who use "natural" instruments, including drums, so it is by far not necessary that Jackson considers use of such way as anywhere preferable to "unnatural" instruments.

So he just uses whatever he hears in mind when a composition appears as an idea. It can be both "natural" and "unnatural" instruments; Michael is completely free of cliches on that matter.

Last edited:
Synths are real. The difference with 'natural' instruments is more in that they can sound outdated. A piano is still a piano, a guitar is a guitar. But specific sounds from a synth can sound dated. Listen to music from the eighties. It's very specific and very connected with that time. When you listen to piano music, that piano still sounds the same.

I hope that he will... On vince, there is really much too many computer effects...
Something in dangerous style would be cool:)

There are thousands of acts who use "natural" instruments, including drums, so it is by far not necessary that Jackson considers use of such way as anywhere preferable to "unnatural" instruments.

So he just uses whatever he hears in mind when a composition appears on his mind. It can be both "natural" and "unnatural" instruments; Michael is completely free of cliches on that matter.

Lol!
It will never be outdated...

I really hope so, I'm tired of hearing all these 'fake' instruments in current pop music.

Synths are real. The difference with 'natural' instruments is more in that they can sound outdated. A piano is still a piano, a guitar is a guitar. But specific sounds from a synth can sound dated. Listen to music from the eighties. It's very specific and very connected with that time. When you listen to piano music, that piano still sounds the same.

as i said, they can remain timeless - just depends on how you use them.

listen to Stevie's Too High - the bass is synthesised by the legendary Moog. his innovative use of vocoders is still imitated to this day...

when you get that mix of acoustic and synthesised/sampled/"digitised" music right.. it can be absolutely timeless.

they're all natural and they're all real.

I dont remembe where I heard about the 'real instrament' thing either.. But I remember it.. maybe we fans came to this conclusion with things said.. Like when billy bush said.. "He's dialing it back" and talk about going back to the roots.. Then play that will.i.am beat that have real drums and instramentals.. maybe WE made that up, from drawing to our own conclusion.

What if a physical instrument can not duplicate the sound Michael
has in his mind for his creation - I think he will use whatever best
can re-create the sound HE WANTS - I dont care what he uses :)
just be true to his creation ..

It was me who mentioned this. will.i.am said in an interview (which i cannot find for the life of me, and trust me, ive tried) that Mike surprised him when he started bringing in all these instruments and musicians to play them. He said something like (not exactly but along these lines) - "Mike is using real instruments on this one. Its gonna be the best music anyone has put out in a very long time"...

It was me who mentioned this. will.i.am said in an interview (which i cannot find for the life of me, and trust me, ive tried) that Mike surprised him when he started bringing in all these instruments and musicians to play them. He said something like (not exactly but along these lines) - "Mike is using real instruments on this one. Its gonna be the best music anyone has put out in a very long time"...

Man I wish I could read/see this interview.

That's really good news :)

What if a physical instrument can not duplicate the sound Michael
has in his mind for his creation - I think he will use whatever best
can re-create the sound HE WANTS - I dont care what he uses :)
just be true to his creation ..

Good point. No one can duplicate Michael Jackson and his nuances, so how can a synth, which produces perfect sound, have the soul of a human being playing an instrument?

Besides, Michael loved instruments, or he wouldn't have played the piano, or drummed, or beatboxed, or used horns in his albums, or violins, or orchestra's for that matter. If he didn't want 'live' instruments, he wouldn't hire the Crouches, children's choirs and recordings from other live songs (including Owner of a Lonely Heart featured heavily on HIStory). Also, Bruce Swedien said that he, Michael, would record up to 80 1/2" tape tracks for ONE SONG. If you know what I am talking about, then you know that Bruce is one hell of an engineer to be able to piece that together. Also, every song that Michael wrote and produced, or had produced, used his beatbox as the BASIS for the entire song. If you listen, you can hear it easily on Tabloid Junkie, and of course Stranger in Moscow.

If y'all think synths will ever replace human beings, then you better worry about the robots who will take over soon as well...

Are you scared YET?

I think that synths have their place in music, but synths are technology that can get old. That's why some songs of the 70s/80s even 90s sound dated - technology changes. The songs that innovated the sounds, however, are iconic because of what they did :) - it's just all the following immitations that can get old.

I think physical instruments sound warmer. I like the idea that someone who has dedicated themself to mastering the violin/trumpet/drums/cello what-have-you gets to put that virtuosity down for us.

No disrespect to synths, they're funky :) I just think there's a place for both synthesized sounds and organic ones. I hope the stuff we get from Mike is a nice combination of both.

The only thing that I miss in MJ's songs are real instruments... MJ had the talent, and if he would practise the piano, he could definitely play some great songs...

Can you imagine? The opening of MJ's concert with this piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk1JQk90UbY

On the other side, i can "confirm" as a pianist, that it takes 5-10 years for average human to learn something like this. :)

Back