Is Michael the last of the megastars?

Cruzin247

Proud Member
I apologize if there's a thread on this already.

The recent discussion of wannabes got me thinking if we'll ever see another artist on MJ's level. Will there ever be another megastar that will get justified mania like Michael has throughout his career whose music spans across all ages, religions and nationalities? And when I say megastar, I mean stars who have true talent to justify why they're so popular.

As mad as this sounds, I believe we will. But not for another 30-50 years :)

Who knows???

I hope so , I want to witness something like Beatle & MJ mania :)

Last edited:
There will be, eventually, but it won't be any of these wannabes. Someone knew, fresh, TALENTED and who's a pioneer not a copycat.

I think E' casanova said it best.. "Michael Jackson is the last of the great song and dance men."

There will never be a star as big or anywhere near Michael..

It's a different industry now, celebirties in general are much more touchable.. Anyone can be famous now if they really want to be..

maddonna mj and prince are the last superstars. the indusrty is all about using ppl for a couple of years and bleeding them dry and making as much money as possible b4 moving onto the next big thing.and theres no real,new talent out there anymore. you dont have to have any talent these days and those that are out there just copy mj etc so its nothing new.i doubt there will ever be big global stars ever again

Are we talking about pop/R'n'B music or any genre? :p

Cause if it's any genre, then I'd say yes, talent still exists and talented people are still around, successful because of their talent and nothing else :) And I hope to see more in the future :p

If we're talking about MJ-style, then yes, he's definitely the last :lol: :)

Well, no one can predict the future with any certainty (at least no one I know, :p) and I hate to appear a pessimist; it's possible that there would be another megastar. But I strongly doubt there will be another one.

i think not at least not within next 100 years.
i know even some not Fans who believe that too that there will be no megastar like
icon12.gif
Michael Jackson ever in this world.
news thigns which people do never becomes as awesome as
icon12.gif
Michael has done.

i think
icon12.gif
Michael Jackson will remain the biggest star in the world even i nthe next millennium.

yes he is, until someone decides to work to develop their own style while admiring the greats before them there will be no more MJ's, Madonna's Prince's Stevie Wonders, Marvin Gayes, Beatles, Elvis and so on, it's very depressing to think about actually how things are going. Maybe in a 150 years from now when none of us are here someone will get a clue.

It's not JUST talent that makes someone a megastar.. So much goes into it..

1) TALENT
2) TIMEING
3) ACCOMPLISHMENTS
4) PIONEER

and more...

Michael is the greatest talent that happened to be at the right place at the wrong time.. BUt he made it HIS time. He pioneered video, dance, and music.. Accomplished so much.. Him and MTV took each other to hights un imaginable...

Today the industry is SO different.. If Michael Jackson was starting his major solo career today.. Lets say he's in his early 20's doing what he did then... He would be HUGE but not the to the same scale as he is NOW because of the timeing..

Before a celebirty was almost like a myth.. a immortal being.. So untouchable.. Now you can go on a reality show and become famous.. release a sex tape and get your own show on TV and star in movies.. U can post a video of yourself online and millions can view it..

I a world that you can be famous for doing vertually NOTHING.

a 'megastar' cannot be achived anymore..

there has been a shift in the culture and in the world in general because of it.

People go crazy over MEGASTARS because when they see them, it's a ONE IN A LIFE TIME thing.. They never saw some1 like that before.. It creates this MAGIC when u see the person or group..

Now you can go onto there myspace and watch personal messages from your favorite singer/group to there fans.. they blog, they message people.. They become TOUCHABLE..

once they are touchable, they are not as powerful.. not as special.. Not as BIG..

There is a reason why Michael keeps himself so private.. Aside from his personal reasonings of being hounded etc.. needing privacy..

IT WORKS...

Even in a culture that has tried to Make Michael Jackson a joke, he cannot walk into a hotel without hundreds of people surrounding it.. WHY?? Because seeing him is such a rarity..

The more rare/mysterious a celeb is, the more powerfull the magnett they are to draw people.. It creates an even more powerful ora about them, even over there increadible talents..

beside from dancing style and musci I strongly believe no one will ever come not even close in comparison with the way Michael has been sharing his pure love and magic with us and the whole world!!!! nobody can never ever do sth with innocence and purity of love as MJ does!!! even when he looks stares smiles and talks ,every single cell of my body feels the LOVE! off of him!! his incredible amazing sacred soul is sooooooooooo divine!!

I wouldn't say Michael is the last of the megastars, as Prince and Madonna became megastars after Michael.

I'd say Michael Jackson and Prince are the last of the iconic music stars where the world in amazed by there talent, wanting to know what they will do next. It's also plainly obvious Michael Jackson is the biggest and most talented pop star of the last 30yrs, and no one has had as much music and cultural impact as Michael Jackson, as it is Michael who raised the bar in album, singles, singing, dancing, videos and tours so high that no one after him in the 1990's to present has come even 25% out of 100% close.

My view is that as an original art form, Popular Music has lost it's edge because everything that has been done has been done. Artists just mix and match now, they have no choice because Popular Music is no over 50yrs old. No one will ever top what Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Prince, T.Rex, The Beatles, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Sly & The Family Stone, Elvis Presley and various Motown artists (You know who they are) have done.

I think there are some really good songs around in the 1990's. But no one with real iconic star quality or even amazing talent. Everyone is just an entertainer or a musician, ie these artists are just regular people who see the world no differently than the your average person.

Personally I don't think the talent is out there anyway, and even if someone with amazing talent does come along they still won't be half as much a genius as Michael. Just watch Michael perform as an 11yr old child in the Jackson 5, he's far more amazing than most iconic stars at there peak. What Michael has is a rare gift which will never be topped.

I also think E'Casanova's view that Michael Jackson is the last of the great song and dance men, misses what makes Michael so unique. A song and dance man is nothing more than an entertainer, Michael's not just an entertainer but a multi talented creative talented artist who writes composes and produces a lot of his own songs, and conceives a lot of his music videos. Indeed Michael Jackson is the first and last of his what he does, and Michael is his own genre where just saying he's a song and dance man or entertainer seriously underestimates the pure genius of who and what Michael Jackson is.

It goes like this.. (FOR ME)

There are celebs.. ( Paris Hilton, Linsey Lohan, etc........)

There are stars.. (Usher, Britney Spears, etc.........)

There are big stars.. (Prince, Madonna, etc.......)

There are megastars... (Elvis, Beatles, etc...........)

Then there is... MICHAEL JACKSON..

Last edited:
I wouldn't say Michael is the last of the megastars, as Prince and Madonna became megastars after Michael.

I'd say Michael Jackson and Prince are the last of the iconic music stars where the world in amazed by there talent, wanting to know what they will do next. It's also plainly obvious Michael Jackson is the biggest and most talented pop star of the last 30yrs, and no one has had as much music and cultural impact as Michael Jackson, as it is Michael who raised the bar in album, singles, singing, dancing, videos and tours so high that no one after him in the 1990's to present has come even 25% out of 100% close.

My view is that as an original art form, Popular Music has lost it's edge because everything that has been done has been done. Artists just mix and match now, they have no choice because Popular Music is no over 50yrs old. No one will ever top what Michael Jackson, David Bowie, Prince, T.Rex, The Beatles, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Sly & The Family Stone, Elvis Presley and various Motown artists (You know who they are) have done.

I think there are some really good songs around in the 1990's. But no one with real iconic star quality or even amazing talent. Everyone is just an entertainer or a musician, ie these artists are just regular people who see the world no differently than the your average person.

Personally I don't think the talent is out there anyway, and even if someone with amazing talent does come along they still won't be half as much a genius as Michael. Just watch Michael perform as an 11yr old child in the Jackson 5, he's far more amazing than most iconic stars at there peak. What Michael has is a rare gift which will never be topped.

I also think E'Casanova's view that Michael Jackson is the last of the great song and dance men, misses what makes Michael so unique. A song and dance man is nothing more than an entertainer, Michael's not just an entertainer but a multi talented creative talented artist who writes composes and produces a lot of his own songs, and conceives a lot of his music videos. Indeed Michael Jackson is the first and last of his what he does, and Michael is his own genre where just saying he's a song and dance man or entertainer seriously underestimates the pure genius of who and what Michael Jackson is.

Well said but I have to admit Price is not that famous in Asia as MJ and Madonna is.

I don't they're the last. There's always new visionaries that pop up once in a while. :)

Prince and Madonna became more world famous once the media age went into further gear.. Meaning after Princes hights in the 80's etc..

By Michael 'prime' he was all ready a worldwide megastar

many

Prince and Madonna became more world famous once the media age went into further gear.. Meaning after Princes hights in the 80's etc..

By Michael 'prime' he was all ready a worldwide megastar

many people today are famous (not Prince and Madonna) simply because of the internet and how easy it is to share media..

it did take Princes and Madonnas fame to a more worldly level though..

of course there will be stares like MJ....the industy is in a stressing period right now. but it will be over. people always want stares to look up to. MJ was right there at the timing. but there are deffently alot of people that are as god musician as he is....I can name many.
But they dont have the mony and the packade the mj use to have.....but im not sure if he still has the etention ules he dose somthing very good.

KOPV said:

exactly!! MJ is not even in the same level of superstardom as other people. Madonna and Prince don't even come close. definitely not megastars.

I don't think there will be another star like Michael Jackson. it's kind of like saying, "will there be another Leonardo da Vinci, or Michaelangelo, etc." and the answer is always no. There have been many talented artists to come after them, but since they were some of the first to paint in the Renaissance style, they had the biggest impact on the world. If someone painted like them today, they would not be thought of as a genius, just because it's been done before. I'm not saying there won't be megastars, because there will be eventually, but especially if we're talking about the music industry, I'd say not for a long time. The internet/crappy music/over-saturation of celebrities has pretty much guaranteed that....

Is Michael the last megastar? Yes. With the way the industry is now, it is not condusive of exceptional talent or established success. It's all about overnight stardom and replaceable acts and I think it's going to stay that way. The chances of there ever being someone with Michael's kind of talent, combined with his enigmatic personality and appeal are slim to none. Michael is unique, there was no one like him before and there will never be anyone like him again. Someone unique has to show up in order for megastardom to ensue, and even then, the industry has to be completely different then it is now.

Personally, I agree with those who say the industry's changed too much to allow it. There are too many "manufactured" artists and stars being celebrated when they're mediocre at best. Occasionally we do see talented people who try to set trends and don't follow the crowd but I don't think they'll reach Michael's level or get the type of following he has.

No we will never see another megastar like Michael. And for so many reasons....most of which have been detailed by KOPV. We will never be in that climate of 1983 again. Today's youth don't have an appreciation for real talent because the powers that be are not demanding it from them as a prerequisite for attaining their goals and aspirations. Today, all you gotta be is PRETTY and know how to shake your ass if you are a female and slap that ass if you are a male! Don't laugh....it is true!

The people that buy Alicia Keys' music have an appreciation for good music. The people who buy Lil Wayne's music have no appreciation for good lyrical content but instead, they are drawn to drum beats and a lot of hormonal jibberish.

To be honest I think Michael set the standars of being so talented and unique way to high for anyone to be ever any bigger. I mean there was Elvis and the Beatles but then there was MICHAEL JACKSON and he was so admired in certain parts of the worlds where not even the Bealtes or Elvis are known.

To me, it seems very unlikely but who knows.

i don't think so, years ago people sang sense in their songs. they had to be singers to sing. nowadays no one looks for talent just apparence and people sing songs like "don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me" its a load of crap.

You said it right! :punk:

I don`t know..........
What I think, is that the feeling that "everything has been done before", maybe is the wrong angle to look at it.
Because the industry of music and entertainment is changing at the moment due to the technology, and because we see the world growing "smaller" ( more connected)- maybe in the future the true rising stars will come form a very different place then the major record companies? Maybe people will find other ways of expressing themself? Because one of the reasons why I think Michael grew into a superstar, is that people connect to him in a special way. You hear it when people talk about him. Its not just that he is "exclusive" and has been good at keeping the fascination. Its also a connection there, and I think its because in his art, Michael has been "honest", raw, spectacular and expressing emotions that people connect with on a deeper level, even is we are speaking about "pop- culture". Michael has both the skills and the depth and the personality, and he is true to who he is in what he creates. There is an "edge" there, that few artists has. But all the great ones has is, very hard to define, yet I think people know what I try to say? I hope?
WBSS is so mutch better at explaining this then I am...................;)

But I do think that if all the powers in the universe join together and the moon and stars is in the right position- then there might come someone along that rise above the rest- however, I think to go as far as Michael- he/ she needs some magical help-_-

If you look at all the 'real' megastars..well, most of them lived in a poor or 'normal' family. Most of them had to work their way into music business. Most of them were absolute nobodies before they were discovered by some great artist.

Nowadays it's the other way round. People are cast in casting shows like American Idol etc., they may have a proper basis but then they're formed and educated just the way the tv station/music business/a record label wants them to be. And that's something that can not lead to creativity. They can't do their own thing. They don't write songs on their own.

I think stars like Alicia Keys may be the next megastars, as they do their own thing, they act from their hearts when they're performing or when they're writing a song and, most importantly, they know their business (see Alicia playing piano etc.).

I hope that people someday will recognize and ask for good, hand-made music again. It's quality what we need. And then, real megastars might get a chance.

Last edited:
Back