What if Michael Jackson...

datblackboi08

Proud Member
What if Michael Jackson's Thriller had been released in 2008? Do you think there would be a Michaelmania?

i think it wouldn't sell as much as it did back then, because of downloading songs and stuff like that. The songs on that album aren't songs of today, which is maby a sell factor for now.. we don't now after all

The songs on that album aren't songs of today, which is maby a sell factor for now.. we don't now after all
You forgot one key point.

Songs of today (Majority of Pop/R&B/Crossover) were 'based' and 'influenced' by the formula of Thriller. Thriller was the pioneer. If Thriller didn't exist on the 80s there will be no 'songs of today'.

Last edited:
You forgot one key point.

Songs of today (Majority of Pop/R&B/Crossover) were 'based' and 'influenced' by the formula of Thriller. Thriller was the pioneer. If Thriller didn't exist on the 80s there will be no 'songs of today'.

Agreed. Also, I just think Thriller was unlike anything else released at that time and it really revived the music industry at a time when nothing was selling much and music was crap. Record sales show that MJ has one of the top selling albums of 2008 with Thriller 25, so you just never know. ;)

Hmmm
hmm.gif

I don't know... There are a lot of factors to be taken in consideration.

I may be very wrong, but one thing I think would influence is his age. If he never released anything, and suddenly decided to release Thriller now, at almost 50 years old, I don't know if the youth would accept it very well, without all his past works... But it's just a guess anyway.

Thriller is an album of its time. I don't think it would be popular if just getting released today. The industry, the sounds, and even pop culture was different then. Anyway I don't think somebody using a producer who is in his 70s (as Quincy Jones is today) would get any play on the radio.

Thriller was a once in a lifetime thing than couldn't have happened at any other time to any other person. It was like the stars aligned right then and there and everything that MJ did up until that point led to the crazy phenomenal success of Thriller. There is no way that we can even speculate on what would have happened if it was released now. It was meant to be released when it was released and couldn't have happened any other way.

I sound a little like Laurence Fishburne in the Matrix Reloaded a bit there but you get what I'm trying to say. :D

Thriller was a once in a lifetime thing than couldn't have happened at any other time to any other person. It was like the stars aligned right then and there and everything that MJ did up until that point led to the crazy phenomenal success of Thriller. There is no way that we can even speculate on what would have happened if it was released now. It was meant to be released when it was released and couldn't have happened any other way.

I sound a little like Laurence Fishburne in the Matrix Reloaded a bit there but you get what I'm trying to say. :D

I totally agree with you. Right time, right sound.

What if Michael Jackson's Thriller had been released in 2008? Do you think there would be a Michaelmania?

Sorry to say this but this is a stupid question.
Everything has to be judged in its time, in its own context. What if Mozart would live now? Would people care about him that much considering most people are interested in pop/rock music now, not classical? Maybe Mozart would be a pop musician, LOL.

I don't know, back then everything was more meaningful and magical, now people are not that excited about music. People would still buy the record and love it, but it wouldn't be as huge.

I don't know, back then everything was more meaningful and magical, now people are not that excited about music.

I agree with that. Back then it was music and movies that the kids were interested in. Now it's the Internet and Games.

it wouldnt sell nearly as much. why? the whole industry has changed. we dont live in the age of mega selling artists anymore. the internet has changed everything. people dont buy magazines, records or cds in the same numbers they used to. why buy something when you can easily download or read about it on the internet?

No I don't think people would appreciate his music so much if it came out now, the music world has changed a great deal. There is a lot more competition for one thing, and music piracy was never an issue before. Ontop of that, there were only a few channels that played music videos in the 80's, MTV being the most prominent. Because we have so much choice now, far less people would even hear about Thriller if it came out now. Michael Jackson was a success not only because of his amazing talent, but also because of good timing. He is a icon of the 80's; NOBODY is an icon of the 00's (on his level anyway). This is not because musicians are worse, but because culture has changed and the industry hasn't completely adapted yet.

Last edited:
Yeah it sucks how music tv has changed since the 80s. MTV is totally crap now, always reality shows. I miss the days when they used to do artist marathons all weekend

Back