Why does Stranger In Moscow have a long intro which is quiet?

isse

Proud Member
Hello, I've always wondered why Stranger In Moscow has a long intro which is quiet? It's like silent the first 20 seconds of the song.

It's not actually silent. You can hear the rain falling. Not sure why he chose the long intro, but it fits perfect! He knows best. :)

MJzAngel's correct. The first few seconds of the song is the sound of rain. If you turn up your speakers you can hear it :yes:

Last edited:
I've always thought that he should've made that a bit louder.

It's to give you some solitude after the 'chaos' of the first 2 tracks.

My theory is it was left deliberately low so when the first beat hit in it was very loud on your speakers!

One of the best songs i think of michael :D
I like the intro verry much gets you in the mood!
Its indeed rain you hear falling just like in the music video :)

Yeah, I think it's intended to help you understand how lonely Michael was when he wrote that song, which was during the Dangerous Tour in, well, Moscow. Must've been raining that day.

My theory is it was left deliberately low so when the first beat hit in it was very loud on your speakers!
Yeah thats for the sounding part, clearly

Yeah, I think it's intended to help you understand how lonely Michael was when he wrote that song, which was during the Dangerous Tour in, well, Moscow. Must've been raining that day.
And yes it represents i think, the profound deep sentiment of the song, the mood, of the whole idea of lonelynes, the sadness that rainy days represents and its very relaxing like its set to start the listener to think deepful and then the whole song speaks for itself, and it may have been a rainy day/s the day/s he wrote this masterpice, is like an etereal song, amen to this song

I'll say it's for dramatic effect.

- Brittany :D
I second that! Maybe he was having a music video concept on his mind while writing the song. He is into movies and enjoys visualizing his music, so...that may be the case;D I'd say, whatever the inspiration behind the rain sound, it's brilliant. Everyone can relate to the reason why the sound was used. You know what it feels like walking on the street on a rainy day when you're lonely and down, whether you have experienced that or not.

This kinda thing is only good for me when I'm lay in bed listening to it on my iPod. If I'm listening to a song with a quiet intro out loud it always tempts me to skip it. :s

its soft rainfall, dramatic effect, cud symbolize the soft quietness of being alone

Back