Tour direction by Kenny Ortega? Plus 'Superstar guest appearances'

Adore

Proud Member
Randy Phillips profile: Michael Jackson's promoter is making all the right moves
"He's 50 but he's going to dance his ass off," says the confident, quick-talking Randy Phillips, chief executive of AEG Live and promoter of acts from Britney Spears and Prince.

By Rowena Mason
Last Updated: 12:30PM GMT 14 Mar 2009

This is the man who persuaded Michael Jackson, that elusive, reclusive eccentric, to return as the King of Pop for a tour at AEG's O2 venue, the ex-Millennium Dome. "He's working on a new move. Something like the Moonwalk, but different."

Phillips clearly understands how to whet the appetite of Jackson's scrums of fans. More than 250,000 joined the online queue, with 800 turning up to the O2 itself to get seats for the 50 dates.

Watching him order tea at the Dorchester Hotel, Phillips has the neurotic chatter of a Woody Allen.

"I've gotta have Dorchester blend with honey and skim milk, right? And multigrain sandwiches... salmon, egg and maybe a few chicken," he says.

This precise, organisational mastermind has kicked up a global ticketing storm just four months after a high-pitched "yes" was uttered from Jackson's pinched lips. The pair go back 15 years – they lost touch, but after the promoter joined AEG he made a "hit list" of acts to entice. Jackson was at the top.

"We finally made Mohammed come to the mountain of the O2," Phillips grins. Jackson refused twice, but several months ago, the idea arose as the superstar was putting together a restructuring plan for his finances. Not hat we should believe rumours that Jackson is struggling, after spending a fortune on security and lawyers after his famous child abuse trial – which ended with his acquittal.

"They make out Michael's finances are much more dire than they are," Phillips assures me. But he needed the cash, right? "I asked him straight off: why say yes to the tour now? Was it the money? He said: you know what, my kids are old enough now." Jackson agreed to do 10 dates for AEG, before relenting to 40 more. The star "worships" London, but plans to stay in a country house where his children can play. If any Daily Telegraph readers have a plush rural pad for rent, Phillips wants to know.

He estimates Jackson will make $50m-$100m from the London dates. This could rise to $500m if he does a world tour.

So how much is AEG getting out of this? Phillips laughs. "We're not in this for the money. We're taking a huge risk on Michael. Forgetting tickets, the local economy will get $500m."

Things haven't gone entirely seamlessly for AEG since they put their money behind Jackson. Most tickets are being sold straight to fans for £50-£75. But AEG claims its premium ticket partner, Viagogo offered seats for re-sale in bulk, allowing touts and other re-sellers to push up prices. A court has now ordered Viagogo to stop selling to anyone not believed to be an individual fan, until a further hearing.

Another potential hitch is that they do not yet have insurance covering Jackson's appearance at all 50 gigs – but Phillips insists any risk will be worth it.

"If Mike gets too nervous to go on, I'll throw him over my shoulder and carry him on stage. He's light enough."

In recent days, there has been furious speculation about Jackson's health, which Phillips dismisses. "Making up rumours about Michael Jackson is a cottage industry," he exclaims. "We were having dinner when I got a Google alert that he had a flesh-eating disease. He was sitting opposite, healthy as ever."

Among the other urban myths he demolishes: ***** is not as weird as I may think, but a devoted parent, and though famed for Jesus-like shows, "not a confident person".

Jackson's nerves aside, the deal could have been off if Phil Anschutz, the billionaire behind AEG had not taken to him.

"Phil had to give me permission to spend all this money. I joke that I'm going to make him a millionaire – from a billionaire." Anschutz has been described as prickly, but Phillips says he is "respectful, a good listener and brilliant".

Anschutz built up his empire from property and launched AEG to take on the force of Live Nation: its corporate nemesis.

"We are under assault by an 800lb gorilla called Live Nation, planning to merge with Ticketmaster. It's not good, but we are there doing better."

AEG is certainly putting its all into making the tour superlative. Hiring Kenny Ortega, the man behind High School Musical, booking superstar guest appearances, putting money into a new 3D film of Thriller and developing new technology to make it a historical spectacle.

"Now we have the biggest artist in the world at the best arena in the best city," Phillips declares, digesting the news that 750,000 tickets have sold out in five hours. He has the satisfied look of a man who has just pulled off an inconceivably ambitious plan.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...s-promoter-is-making-all-the-right-moves.html

Amazing article! Thanks so much!!

lol @ "...He's light enough." :lol:

Randy seems cool. :yes:

CAN'T WAITTTT FOR THE TOUR AND THRILLER 3D!!

Amazing article! Thanks so much!!

lol @ "...He's light enough." :lol:

Randy seems cool. :yes:

CAN'T WAITTTT FOR THE TOUR AND THRILLER 3D!!

I thought that was funny, too. :lol: I'm real excited to see what this Thriller 3D is gonna be like. :wild:

Great news on Thriller 3D!!

I wonder if the movie will be shown in a regular movie theater or in an IMAX?

Oooooo....It would be awesome to see Thriller on the HUGE screen!! :wild:

Not to mention that 3D zombies on an IMAX screen would scare the heck out of me! :lol:

Wow, sounds AWESOME! Kenny Ortega is super talented, but is he MJ material?

Kenny Ortega played a huge role in both the Dangerous and History world tours. He was "MJ material" then, can't see why he wouldn't still.

Google him and see what and whom he's worked with in the past, it's very interesting.:yes:

Can someone tell me....what exactly does Kenny Ortega do? Is he a tour manager? A choreographer? What?

" Kenny Ortega (April 18, 1950) is an Emmy award winning producer, director, and choreographer. Initially known for working with famous dancer/choreographer Gene Kelly, such as on the Olivia Newton-John film Xanadu, Ortega went on to his own fame, choreographing the 1987 classic film Dirty Dancing, and he has won awards for choreography in music videos, such as Madonna's "Material Girl". Together with Michael Jackson he created and designed the Dangerous World Tour 1992-1993 and the HIStory World Tour 1996-1997. He has also choreographed many major events such as Super Bowl XXX, the 72nd Academy Awards, and multiple Olympics events. He is also known for High School Musical, High School Musical 2, High School Musical 3: Senior Year, and The Cheetah Girls 2." (www.wikipedia.org)

Kenny can often be heard talking to Michael in the Dangerous tour rehearsals video recordings! For example, before the start of Wanna Be Startin Somethin, Michael asks who is signalling the start of the song, and Kenny says "you do Michael", and at the end of Billie Jean he says "now Michael you go off and get changed" (reffering to changing to the Working Day and Night costume :)

Kenny Ortega has been working with MJ for years. Done past tours, etc. He is great. Anyone remember the "rumors" about MJ having met with Kenny Ortega last year??!! Well now we know why!! Must have had shows in the works then already! :kickass:

"If Mike gets too nervous to go on, I'll throw him over my shoulder and carry him on stage. He's light enough."

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"putting money into a new 3D film of Thriller and developing new technology to make it a historical spectacle.

I had a feeling they might be thinking bout doing somthing like this... We may see holograms of ghosts, zombies and other creapy things flying around the arena during Thriller!! It would be awsome!!

Ohh cant wait!!!

I just hope they dont make the concert all about technology and less MJ dancing....

20080115MJPictureVegas.jpg

Michael Jackson, Kenny Ortega, and Simon Fuller in Las Vegas (01/2007)

In early 2007, Robin Leach was granted exclusive media access to a lengthy Vegas business dinner between Michael Jackson, Kenny Ortega (choreographer) and Simon Fuller (creator of "Idol" shows). Although nothing transpired from these early meetings, rumors exploded that Michael would be getting a gig at one of the Las Vegas attractions or hotels. Those rumors were denied several times by Raymone Bain. Likewise, in May of 2007, Simon Cowell told EXTRA that "We were planning something with the record label, maybe for Thriller, so we'll see what happens... Big, big tribute. But we'll see, you know, just early stages."

http://mjjr.net/comment.php?comment.news.161

Great news on Thriller 3D!!

I wonder if the movie will be shown in a regular movie theater or in an IMAX?

Oooooo....It would be awesome to see Thriller on the HUGE screen!! :wild:

Not to mention that 3D zombies on an IMAX screen would scare the heck out of me! :lol:
I'd like to think so! 3D is the new hot thing with films, there will be dozens of new feature length movies released over the next three years using RealD technology--which is leaps and bounds better than any of the traditional 3D technologies, no more red/blue glasses nonsense and a 3D experience unlike any other. Thousands of theaters around the world are adding the required projectors for this technology each year, so by 2010 or 2011 it shouldn't be too hard to find a theater that supports it. The way these talks sound, they may even add a '4D' element to it that allows the audience to physically interact with the film.

You know 'earthwalk' actually already is a break move, right? Would be awesome to see MJ perform it! Sometimes, like in the HIStory tour, I've seen him like start out but not like doing the whole move. I'm totally sure MJ would do that move better than anyone else! Would be brilliant. But honestly, ANY dancemove of MJs - no matter if I've seen it before - gives me chills down my spine and electricity shocks through my body. I can't believe he's goin on live..! I gotta get a ticket somehow. Just gotta.

Oh, it's like a reverse moonwalk if you haven't seen it. You're sliding forwards instead of backwards. It's especially cool if you combine it with a moonwalk so it looks like you're rewinding the move..!

You know what's even more amazing about all of this is that Michael sold out 50 freakin' shows, 750,000 tickets, when the economy is on life support. I mean, come on. Only Michael Jackson could do that. I think it's just sad though how according to Randy Phillips, Michael just wasn't confident. You know the world sucks when they tear someone as wonderful as Michael down. How can you not be confident when you're that talented? When people treat you as less then dirt, that's how.

You know what's even more amazing about all of this is that Michael sold out 50 freakin' shows, 750,000 tickets, when the economy is on life support. I mean, come on. Only Michael Jackson could do that. I think it's just sad though how according to Randy Phillips, Michael just wasn't confident. You know the world sucks when they tear someone as wonderful as Michael down. How can you not be confident when you're that talented? When people treat you as less then dirt, that's how.

yep that broke my heart

That's about right, Wanna. I was wondering the same thing. But if you got all that hate being spewed at you by the media day in and day out....you got the media making something sinister out of your every move....you got them repeatedly trying to convince the public that you are broke, near death and crazy. This has to affect him somehow or on some level.

Definitley. I'm not surprised that it's affected him, but like Shaun said, it just kind of breaks your heart, because it puts in to perspective what the world's done to him. He's the most famous person on the planet, the biggest selling recording artist and the most successful performing artist in history, and he's got more talent then anyone else, yet he wasn't confident. Well he's just got to be now.

Oh, I think dude is gonna get a serious boost from the first night he enters that stage. Cause you know MJ UK fans don't play and they are gonna go absolutely wild when he comes out. Can you imagine it?

First, I just wanna say that I agree so much with the first line. I mean imagine what would have happened if the economy was just normally functioning and then what would have happened if it was on a high..! I was actually thinking the other day that this single phenomenon - haha, MJ I guess that is, or the This Is It tour to be more specific - could alone have effect on the economic crisis. I´m not saying that it´ll turn it around because the crisis is about a failing system more tat anything else, but all the travelling, investments, living arrangements, trivia consumtion, buying of records, not to speak about planning and goal setting of millions of people (of which alone a million hitherto going to the event), could actually have a possitive, notable effect on the economy in the UK first and the world (te northern part anyway).

Second, I think you already said it best about how crushingly awful this has been. It can never be accepted, never be ok, never be forgot. It can be forgiven though (but I have a slight suspicion MJ would be better at that than myself..).

Third, I was thinking reading different interviews with Mr Phillips, that I´m not so sure Michael wasn´t confident even though he´s of course human and one´s confidence slopes once in a while. But I´m thinking that Michael is so humble compared to other celebrities, especially (male) mega stars. And he´s always been told from people who knows im best, to get surpriced each time his records go to no 1 and so on. And he himself has told us in interviews about how he never expects anything and utterly feels blessed, thankful and amazed each time his star status is re-proven. How he has problems letting go of a piece, comparing it to giving birth. Maybe Randy Phillips just isn´t used to that sort of attitude, especially not from someone as huge and as professional as MJ? So he takes it as lack of confidence? It's always a matter of perspective.. I hope this to be true, because Michael has so earned his confidence in his work. And also, I could imagine MJ himself, maybe haven´t forgot but still hasn´t actively remembered how it feels to announce a tour, do a total sell out and so on. I mean, it´s been 12 years..! And now I´d imagine it all coming back to him, overwhelmingly strong..

Sorry bout the length guys!

You might very well be correct in saying it's a matter of perspective Michael Skywalker. Michael is a very humble person, that's one of his endearing qualities. Though it's still not hard to imagine Michael lacking confidence after all he's been through. I hope it was as case of what you described, but either way, after having sold out the majority of the tickets in the pre-sale alone, he must now know that it doesn't matter what's been said about him, or what people have done to him, he's still the most loved and sought after performing artist in the world.

Definitley. I'm not surprised that it's affected him, but like Shaun said, it just kind of breaks your heart, because it puts in to perspective what the world's done to him. He's the most famous person on the planet, the biggest selling recording artist and the most successful performing artist in history, and he's got more talent then anyone else, yet he wasn't confident. Well he's just got to be now.

yes it does break your heart .... and thats why the success of the past week is so electrifying for me...to see that the media DID NOT succeed...eventhough they have been trying for years....to distroy Michael, his career, his dreams... his ambitions...

and it really put into prospective ... how much hurt and set backs Michael has been through.. to get here...

so its really important to enjoy this ...take it all in.. and don't sweat the small stuff and complain about the little things...

we are witnessing something truly historic...

loving it..

Right on Rasta, right on. You said it. And Yeah Michael Skywalker, I'm with you, I hope and believe that Michael now knows his worth.

Back