Defy the authorities - show up anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeismagical

Proud Member
California's response to Michael's memorial service is a reflection of those who would wish to convict a man who was already proven guilty - even in death. Its as if they are saying "do not honor this man" and they are trying to dictate to the world how he should be remembered - not as the great humanitarian and genius that he was. California, despite your budgetary problems, this is a one day event once in a lifetime and if it were your governor who passed, you'd find the money to allow his fans and supporters to grieve properly. Millions of diehard fans shouldn't have to settle for a tv when they want to feel the love and the presence in person. I'm sure Micheal and the entire Jackson family has contributed millions of tax dollars to California's budget - the least California could do is allow Michael Jackson a proper send-off. I say show up as a form of protest - a way to righting the wrong that people continue to perpetuate. Its about love, unity and a statement about justice!

This has nothing to do with people that want to paint a bad picture of Michael. This is a city, and a city has to first and foremost care for the SAFETY of it's people. Their point is simply that if a ton of people show up and it gets out of hand, people can seriously get hurt.

Thats all well and good, but how exactly are we supposed to get there if they close off al streets?

I do agree that the budget excuse is rubbish? How bout the boost to their tourism due to the death of Michael. Thousands of people have flown in for this, booking up hotels, spending their money in the shops and resturants. Now they are saying that all those people can't mourn together, the whole reason they came to LA in the first place? Rubbish! If they don't want us lining the streets, then put a big screen up in an open space...some form of park, and let us gather there!!!!

They could have easily found a place for more people. More than a measly lil 17,000 ppl. So eff them. Hit the fkin streets. I'm there.

Well you know what to expect. You'll be dissapointed without a ticket.

I'm expecting to stand in a crowd of people that love him as much as I do. Not all that love him. But a lot that do. That's enough for me. To be surrounded by them at that time where I'll need it most.

but really...what do you expect to see there?

Michael Jackson is dead.... do you think youll be very entertained by the so called performances theyll have there?

There is so much power in numbers - if there was anytime to make a statement, now is it. Yes, if they wanted to accomodate people, they would have set up satellite centers all over the place. So it is up to the fans to organize, organize, organize. Fans who live in the LA area can create meet-up enmasse even if we can only get 4 blocks away from this event. The important part is that we be there and to get together. There are so many people's whos hearts are hurting, they need support. We all need support from one another and we shouldn't have to rely on a tv. Someone else mentioned donating to MJs favorite charities, and we should. We can do that for the rest of our lives. But MJ is only going to be sent off this one time. This is a defining moment.

but really...what do you expect to see there?

Michael Jackson is dead.... do you think youll be very entertained by the so called performances theyll have there?

Its not about being entertained - it is about saying goodbye to some we love. Its about paying our final respects.

There is so much power in numbers - if there was anytime to make a statement, now is it. Yes, if they wanted to accomodate people, they would have set up satellite centers all over the place. So it is up to the fans to organize, organize, organize. Fans who live in the LA area can create meet-up enmasse even if we can only get 4 blocks away from this event. The important part is that we be there and to get together. There are so many people's whos hearts are hurting, they need support. We all need support from one another and we shouldn't have to rely on a tv. Someone else mentioned donating to MJs favorite charities, and we should. We can do that for the rest of our lives. But MJ is only going to be sent off this one time. This is a defining moment.

Very well said and I TOTALLY AGREE!!! I don't care how you get there, just get there if you can :yes:

is there not a park, or somewhere with a big screen that we could all meet??

i dont wanna go down to staples centre just to defy the authorities and just to be turned around again, but i do think we should be able to organise somewhere for us all to meet and watch it on a screen!?

US Mods? Any ideas?

i dont wanna go down to staples centre just to defy the authorities and just to be turned around again, but i do think we should be able to organise somewhere for us all to meet and watch it on a screen!?

US Mods? Any ideas?

The AME Church will have a public screening of it...you can go there

see this:

http://www.famechurch.org/

Last edited:

US Mods? Any ideas?

Do not go to staples center. It'll be blocked off for a quarter mile radius and you WON'T get anywhere near without a ticket. Part of the tickets are also for the Nokia center across the street that will have big screens for viewing, but again you can only do that with tickets too, no other way to get it. This is exactly why the family is providing a worldwide feed for free to the media, so EVERYONE else in the word can be a part of it too. If you show up, police will turn you away, if you don't listen, you risk getting in trouble, it's not worth it. This is in downtown LA, they will not allow you to stay there in masses and hang out, no way. This would disrupt the entire downtown area.

Congregating in a park is also illegal, and will likely get you in trouble. There are no other areas set up for viewing on screens. If you know someone that lives there and is not working, see if you can watch it on tv at their house, or in hotels, or even in bars that have big screens on their wall, there are plenty of them around and I'm sure EVERYONE will have that on. I see some places like the church mentioned above offer something too, this can also be an option.

Massing on the streets is only going to create problems, and won't do anything to help Michael's name.

I am saying obey the authorities and the family's request and dont show up if you dont have a ticket.
If you do you are risking your wellbeing, you are disrespecting the family's wishes and give them pain.
Who do you think has to foot the bill for the police standby? The family has to pay it so the more trouble is on the streets the higher the bill.

I would say show your respect by being respectful...but hey I am old and living in Sydney what do I know...

I hope it all goes peaceful if masses turn up....really don't know why you would though! Doesnt matter what kind of people are in the crowd it could turn nasty. Espcially if the police try to move people away.

What if protesters turn up?? Folk who didnt like Michael and something kicks off? Better just staying away ...that was asked of you...

Of course who am I to say not to go but I just hope to god nothing bad happens and that if you choose to defy what was asked then it goes calmly and not hysterical..

We can not condone any member's wishing to break the law and risk personal safety. Please consider things through and find solace in each other and other options. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back