Hot topic Brad Sundberg Seminars: Making Music With Michael Jackson

morinen

Proud Member
tumblr_mko1f0cT0J1qcqvito3_1280.jpg

Technical director to Michael Jackson for nearly two decades, Brad Sundberg has announced a series of informative seminars to take place this June in New York City. At this one of a kind event, Fifty Michael Jackson fans will have a rare opportunity to see, hear and experience what it was like to work side-by-side with the King of Pop.

Brad will be sharing behind the scenes stories and little known facts from his time working with Michael on the ‘Bad,’ ‘Dangerous,’ and ‘HIStory’ albums. Additionally he will share stories and background about the years he spent installing music and video systems on the rides, attractions and residence at Neverland Valley Ranch.

What? ‘In the Studio with Michael Jackson’ seminars with Brad Sundberg.

Who? Meet Brad Sundberg, technical director and engineer to Michael Jackson for 18 years.

When? June 29th 2013 at 11am and again at 5pm.

Where? Smash Studios 301 W 36th Street New York, NY 10018.

This interactive, music and video -filled seminar will bring fans closer than they could ever imagine to working with Michael ‘In the Studio.’ Brad will share the backstories from the projects he worked on, including first-hand experiences of being with Michael when we wrote and recorded his demos and songs.

He will share music, video, photographs and memorabilia from his personal collection. In addition, there will be an exclusive question and answer segment, encouraging fans to further discuss and analyze Michael’s creative process. Those curious about Michael’s working style, will surely enjoy the unique chance to be a part of this event.

Brad Sundberg has remarked that his years working with Michael encompassed, “a portion of his career that he wouldn’t change for the world.” He adds, “If you appreciate the amazing sounds and layers that you hear in his albums, you will enjoy this seminar. If you are curious about what it was like to work with one of the most creative forces in the entertainment industry, yet also one of the kindest men I have ever known, you will enjoy this seminar.

I invite you to spend some time with me and hear Michael’s music and my stories. He was a genius, an entertainer, my employer and my friend. His name is Michael Jackson, and I would like to introduce him to you.”

Here are some testimonials from previous seminars,

Davy wrote,

“It was an unforgettable day. It took me several days to land back to earth. It’s one of the very best Michael Jackson moments in my whole life. To this day, I’m still trying to figure out how to put this experience into words.

Brad you’re a wonderful and generous person. We have all been touched by your kindness and your presence. Thanks to all those who have made this event possible.”

“Thanks for the spirit of your seminar. With your help, we got closer to the essence of the creation, of what’s hidden in the studios. Your extreme generosity gave us access to years of experience, excitement and knowledge of music. This event went beyond my wildest expectations. And it was such an emotion to be a part of that session… I would define it, as, “Keeping Michael’s music alive”… and we are now friends forever.” Alan

Four studio albums. Countless sessions. Video mixes. Dance mixes. Three world tours. A ranch called “Neverland.” This was Brad Sundberg’s life and career for nearly 18 years, working closely with the King of Pop himself, Michael Jackson. This is your chance to hear of the music, the stories behind the music, and what it was like to be a part of Michael’s team. This is a one-of-a-kind music, photo and video-filled seminar.

www.inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com

Brad had the opportunity to work closely in the studio and at Neverland Valley Ranch with Michael Jackson. He was Michael’s technical director and one of the engineers on four studio albums including “Bad”, “Dangerous”, “HIStory”, and “Blood On The Dancefloor.” (Michael even gave Brad the nickname “Really, Really Brad”.) These mammoth projects (including production, tour-prep and countless remixes) took upwards of 16 months each. You will see and hear what it was like to be in the studio with Michael and the team of engineers and producers who created these songs, through a carefully crafted timeline of music, video and behind-the-scenes info. From “Captain Eo” to “Man In The Mirror” to “Scream”, Brad was there, and you will hear about the production process.

Additionally, Michael tapped him to help in the early days of designing and building Neverland Valley Ranch, his incredible home. The ranch was filled with rides, music and surprises waiting to be discovered. He commissioned Brad to bring music to virtually ever corner. Michael would even give him specific playlists for certain areas of the ranch, to create just the right environment.

Brad is generous with his insights and knowledge, and there will be time for questions. If you are a fan of Michael’s music, or are curious about how those albums were recorded and the staggering amount of tapes, tracks and time invested, you will want to attend “In The Studio With Michael Jackson.”

Found the info here: http://alchrista.tumblr.com/post/47005938631/making-music-with-michael-jackson-technical

Re: Brad Sundberg seminar, June 29th: Making Music With Michael Jackson

It sounds practically like a dream come true event. If someone can attend, please videotape it!

Certainly wish I could be there!

Sounds like a great thing to attend.

It sounds practically like a dream come true event. If someone can attend, please videotape it!

No cameras, cell phones, laptops, etc.allowed in the studio. I signed up for it but they need to get enough people to attend by May 2nd in order to actually hold this seminar, so I hope they can gather enough interested people--we'll see. Thanks for posting this.

Brad Sundberg Remembers Michael
Started by shimmerysocks, Aug 22 2010 09:17 PM

Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
#1 shimmerysocks Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Members

65 posts

Remembering a friend

Today marks the one year anniversary of his death. Over the course of the next few days you will likely hear his music, see news about his estate or kids, perhaps hear jokes and rumors. His enormous debt has apparently been lowered from $500M to $300M with income continuing to flow, thanks to the business team controlling his estate. According to Sony Music, 31 million of his albums have sold since he died. The movie "This Is It" grossed $260 worldwide. His videos will be in heavy rotation this weekend, and his lighthearted Captain Eo will continue to draw crowds at Disneyland and Epcot Center in Walt Disney World.

People are beginning to remember that beyond all the tabloid headlines, eccentricities and accusations was a remarkably talented guy who created a soundtrack for millions of people. He was an entertainer, plain and simple, on stage and off. He was also a good client, boss, and friend.

Many of you know that I worked with him on countless projects spanning some 18 years. I have had the opportunity to meet and work with many "famous" people, but none more interesting or polarizing than this man. When people learn that I worked with him for such a long period of time, they are understandably curious. Typically, the opening line is, "So, was he as weird as he seemed?". But I can't really blame them. The media did a great job of painting him in such a way that it seemed he rode around on a monkey carrying the Elephant Man bones in a backpack wearing pajamas on his way to a Boy Scout camp.

Recently an article was published by a friend of mine in the Huffinton Post. It went into great detail about how out of line the press was during his 2005 trial. The event became a global media circus, with soundbites and sensationalism taking the place of facts. When 14 jurors found him not-guilty, the story was over and the tents were packed up.

It is not my job to convince you that he was innocent or "normal." I can only share memories of working with him in the studio and at his home, known as Neverland Valley Ranch.

When I wrote the following article shortly after his death, I received countless notes of appreciation for introducing people to the artist that I knew. I will continue to write and compile these stories, as he was a truly unique individual, and he deeply impacted my life and career path.

If you can turn down the media madness for just a few minutes, I would like to tell you about a friend of mine that died a year ago. His name is Michael Jackson.

Gone Too Soon

In 1985 I got married, got my first job in a recording studio (Westlake Audio), and met one of the kindest young men I have ever known, Michael Jackson. Quite a year. To Brad and Michaeleven attempt to sum up a nearly 20 year working relationship and friendship with Michael in one article is impossible, but let me try to give you a glimpse into the incredible world I was privileged to be a part of.

Michael was working on Captain Eo for Disneyland and Epcot Center. He was fresh off the Victory Tour, the Thriller album, his dominance of MTV, and he was back in the studio. I wish I could remember our first meeting, but it was likely just passing each other in the hallway. He was always warm, yet shy. Over time we would chat now and then, but it took time to build the trust.

Around that same time he did an often forgotten album, The ET Storybook. This was when I met Quincy Jones and Bruce Swedien. Early in 1986 the team moved into Westlake Studio D in Hollywood to record the BAD album, and welcomed me in. I worked other sessions during the day, but at night I was invited to sit in and learn. Eventually I worked my way up to technical director for the team, and the trust was solidified. It was during this time that Michael nicknamed me "Really Really Brad," a twist on the chorus, "Bad, Bad, Really Really Bad." Check the album credits, it's there.

Over the next ten years I worked with Michael doing tour prep for the BAD tour in 1988, then back in the studio for the Dangerous album in Los Angeles, followed by the HIStory album in New York. Toss in countless music videos, the HIStory tour, the Moonwalker project, Blood On The Dance Floor album, and various side projects, and I got to know him pretty well.

So who was Michael Jackson, and why did he have such a profound effect on my life? Not for a moment do I pretend to have been a close friend of his, or a confidant. Rather I worked for him and with him, and considered it an honor.

He was a consummate professional. If his vocals were scheduled for a noon downbeat, he was there at 10 am, with his vocal coach Seth, singing scales. Yes, scales. I would set up the mic, check the equipment, make coffee, and all the while he would sing scales for two hours.

He typically drove himself to the studio alone. For a while he drove a big Ford Bronco with dents and scrapes on it. He was not a great driver. More than once he called into the studio to say he would be late after being in a fender bender.

He was intensely curious about "normal life." He asked me about Christmas once, and couldn't understand how kids could wait until Christmas morning to open the gifts. You see, he was raised Jehovah's Witness, so Christmas was not celebrated in the Jackson family.

Since I was so close to this world, let me try to give you some insight. A "typical" MJ album would take between 10 and 16 months in the studio. His budget allowed for as many as 100 songs to be recorded for any given project. Some would be discarded early on, while others were fine tuned. Musicians would be brought in to add their textures and ideas, but in the center of it all was Michael. The team was remarkably small given the scope of the projects. Each project was slightly different, but typically there were less then eight of us working day to day, from the first day until the project was mastered. No entourage. No Elephant Man bones. No groupies. No drugs. Just music. And food.

During the BAD album, Fridays quickly became known as "family day." He would have his two chefs, affectionately known as the Slam Dunk Sisters, prepare a large dinner for the crew, musicians and any family members that might be around. Since I was working sometimes 80 hours a week, it was not uncommon for Deb to come have dinner with us. Michael loved these family get togethers. In later projects I would bring my girls, whom he loved and would play with. There is one moment in time in my head when Deb brought my daughter Amanda, who was just a baby at the time, into the studio for the afternoon. She set up a play mat and brought some toys, and Michael sat and played with her for a while. He looked at Deb and said, "This is her own little world, isn't it?"

Brad and MJ playing Jenga

When you work in this environment, your sense of normal begins to shift. It was not uncommon for celebrities or VIPs to stop in. One day the Secret Service searched the building for a couple hours before Nancy Reagan came for a visit. Next it was Princess Stephanie from Monaco. (She has a cameo on the song "In The Closet.") The chimps were common guests in the studio, as was a giant snake, both of which I would wind up holding during MJ's vocals. Michael loved mixing fun and work, but work always came first.

I have watched him write many songs, and the process is amazing. I asked him where they came from, and he said they were gifts from God. He could hear the entire song in his head before we could get tape on the machines. He would sometimes sing the drums, bass, percussion, keyboards, etc., and we would later bring in musicians to replace his demo tracks.

His lounge would be decorated with Disney posters and old Hollywood memorabilia. He loved innocence, and displayed gentleness, humor and patience.

This driving work ethic also had to escape from time to time. There were many days we would show up at the studio, only to find he had flown to Europe or Japan for a few days, and neglected to tell us. This sometimes meant an unscheduled few days off for us, which was awesome.

There were however memories that he would sometimes share about the endless travel and work schedule when he was just a boy. I remember him telling me about grown women throwing themselves at him when he was just 9 or 10 years old. One story I will never forget was him telling of flying with his dad and brothers through a lightening storm at night. The plane was being tossed around, lightening was flashing, and he started crying in fear. His dad ignored him, embarrassed. A flight attendant sat with until the plane cleared the storm. Hearing him tell that story, with tears in his eyes, gave a glimpse into his life.

There are few people I have worked so closely with for so long than Michael Jackson. There were many months when I spent more time with him than I did my own wife. Somewhere around 1991 he asked me to visit a ranch he had purchased, and design a sound system for a carousel. The next thing I knew I was at Neverland Valley Ranch, in Santa Ynez, CA. There was construction everywhere, and the amusement park was in the early stages of installation. Over the next few years Michael asked me to build system after system, putting music on the bumper cars, in the petting zoo, on two trains, all around the amusement park, the boat lake, the train stations, and eventually inside the house, and inside his bedroom and bathroom. Deb loves to tell of the times Michael would call at 2 in the morning (his sleep schedule was never normal) to talk to me about a new attraction he had coming to Neverland, and if I would put music on it. I still have an old answering machine tape of him thanking me for one of the systems we had built.

Michael had very little patience when it came to new rides. When the second train was ordered for the ranch, we were flown to Ohio to install the lights and music before it was trucked to California. That way, as soon as it rolled off the truck onto the track it was ready for Michael. He lived for those moments!

In it's day, Neverland Valley was one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. He loved that ranch. He could act like a kid, drive golf carts, throw water balloons and just have fun. Week after week the buses would roll in, bringing inner city kids, Make A Wish kids, friends and families. I have been there with sick kids whose dying wish was to spend a day with Michael.

As Neverland grew, I got the bug to continue building systems, and eased out of the recording studio. Soon I was working for Elizabeth Taylor, building a massive outdoor music system for her, followed by my good friend Quincy Jones.

This was the Michael I knew. Innocent, perhaps child-like at times, but not childish. A professional who worked to be the best performer in the world, yet knew how to have fun. If he was comfortable, he would laugh and joke with everyone, but if someone was there that made him uncomfortable, he would disappear.

We used to say there were two Michaels: the one we worked with, and the one who went on stage in front of 100,000 people and entertained them. There have always been singers and dancers, but Michael was in a class by himself. I have been to perhaps 12 of his concerts (my daughter Amanda was on stage with him in Paris with several other kids singing "Heal The World"), and there is really no one that comes close to his level of artistry.

Yes, there were allegations. No, I don't believe them.

Yes, he changed his color and facial shape. No, I really don't care.

I have worked with plenty of normal looking people who thrive on pain and anger. I'll take a guy who might be abnormal looking and eccentric yet shows kindness, love, generosity, patience, humor and humility any day of the week. I could write page after page of simple acts of kindness I have seen firsthand.

But the eccentricities increased.

The last time I spoke with Michael was around 2003. He wanted some additional work done at the ranch, but clearly things had changed. It was an awkward conversation between us, with me declining to do the work for what he was offering. Then he drove away in a golf cart. As I walked to my car, I knew it was the last time I would ever see him. I remember looking across the valley with the amusement park well past it's prime, the grass not as green as it once was, and Michael driving over the bridge back to his house. I was a long way from that hallway in a studio where we first met nearly 20 years before.

But I would not trade a minute of it.

Thank you Michael, for letting me be a small part of your world. You have taught me more than you will ever know. Your friendship and trust is something I will always cherish. Rest in peace my friend.

Brad.

http://mjphotoscollectors.com/index.php?showtopic=231

I live in New York City, but unfortunately I will be London at that time. Maybe if other New York fans know about it they will go. Sometimes fans are not aware of what is going on.

The series will also travel to Paris, France later this year

I live in New York City, but unfortunately I will be London at that time. Maybe if other New York fans know about it they will go. Sometimes fans are not aware of what is going on.

Argh how unlucky can you be.. this event truly sounds amazing!!

No cameras, cell phones, laptops, etc.allowed in the studio. I signed up for it but they need to get enough people to attend by May 2nd in order to actually hold this seminar, so I hope they can gather enough interested people--we'll see. Thanks for posting this.

If it happens - please share what you learned, Jamba?

Bummer!

You're right - hopefully NYC folks can gather more interested people. I mean, between the Julliard students and the MJ fans - there should be a crowd!

any other MJJCers from here going to attend, or planning to anyway?

Pace,MioDolceCuore--If it happens - please share what you learned, Jamba?

Yes, for sure I will!

Hmmm I really hope more tickets sell soon... Are any other of you visiting this thread planning on going?

Yes, he changed his color and facial shape. No, I really don't care.

I don't wanna start or spread negetivity here but whats up with that?

A great 3-hour long interview with Brad Sundberg about Michael:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/a-plac...06/07/brad-sunberg-in-the-studio-with-michael

He tells quite a few cute stories about Michael in the studio, and very heartwarming things about Neverland and Michael's goal to help children.

Some tidbits I tweeted while I was listening:

Brad said he was at the Dangerous plagiarism hearing in 1994 and that MJ testified and totally won the jury over w/ his humor and honesty.
Brad also said that Michael was insatiably curious and asked everyone about everything.
He said that there were "3 Michaels": the cool guy in the studio, the incredible performer and the brilliant businessman.
Brad also said MJ loved to ride in the golfcarts in the darkness of night in Neverland with guests, and he had a special button in the cart and when he hit that button in moment X, all lights in Neverland - in trees and everywhere would light up at the same time - breathtaking.
He said Michael was all about the timing and the show.
Brad said that Michael was extremely generous with his time for sick kids at Neverland. He not only built a fantasy world for them, but he was in a middle of it himself. Brad said he had enormous respect for that.
He told a story how Michael liked to sample super-hot chicken wings they cooked in the studio.
Brad said Michael loved Filet-O-Fish with two fish patties from McDonalds. It was his guilty pleasure.
Brad also said that Michael really knew how to thank people, his level of gratitude for contributions of others was exceptional.
"There are just people you want to be around. There is genuineness you don't encounter very often." - Brad Sundberg about MJ

Last edited:

Amazing. The story tidbits. Thanks so much for posting. :)

This seminar sounds like it will be an amazing event.
Imagine, learning of and experiencing Michael's creative ventures thru Brads' eyes.

Michael Jackson....a real musical genius.

A great 3-hour long interview with Brad Sundberg about Michael:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/a-plac...06/07/brad-sunberg-in-the-studio-with-michael

He tells quite a few cute stories about Michael in the studio, and very heartwarming things about Neverland and Michael's goal to help children.

Some tidbits I tweeted while I was listening:

Brad said he was at the Dangerous plagiarism hearing in 1994 and that MJ testified and totally won the jury over w/ his humor and honesty.
Brad also said that Michael was insatiably curious and asked everyone about everything.
He said that there were "3 Michaels": the cool guy in the studio, the incredible performer and the brilliant businessman.
Brad also said MJ loved to ride in the golfcarts in the darkness of night in Neverland with guests, and he had a special button in the cart and when he hit that button in moment X, all lights in Neverland - in trees and everywhere would light up at the same time - breathtaking.
He said Michael was all about the timing and the show.
Brad said that Michael was extremely generous with his time for sick kids at Neverland. He not only built a fantasy world for them, but he was in a middle of it himself. Brad said he had enormous respect for that.
He told a story how Michael liked to sample super-hot chicken wings they cooked in the studio.
Brad said Michael loved Filet-O-Fish with two fish patties from McDonalds. It was his guilty pleasure.
Brad also said that Michael really knew how to thank people, his level of gratitude for contributions of others was exceptional.
"There are just people you want to be around. There is genuineness you don't encounter very often." - Brad Sundberg about MJ

Amazing indeed. Thank you.

Thank you morinen. Glad you shared that.
Is he coming to Paris btw, you guys know? Id take the train to listen to these stories myself too:girl_sigh:

Yes, he is coming to Paris in October. Tickets are already on sale.

This seminar that Brad Sundberg is hosting seems like one I really should be attending; however, it is not to be. I kindly ask anyone who is attending to please memorize and share what you've heard, if possible.

Please? :)

The link in the first post isnt the one forParis I see, any idea where to get tix to that one?

Thank you, loads!!

Plenty tickets left for IN THE STUDIO WITH MJ Seminar- In less than 2 weeks!

Hey everyone,

Please show support and attend the seminar coming up in 2 weeks here in New York City. There are plenty tickets left for Sunday and I can't wait! I am going both days and I hope to meet as many of you as possible there---

https://inthestudiowithmichaeljackson.ticketbud.com/

Did anyone here go?

I went today!
You guys...my god I can't even put into words. I just got home from the city and will write something up tomorrow if you want but I just...I'm still completely in awe and living on cloud 9. If you have the opportunity to go, PLEASE DO IT. I will look at Michael differently for the rest of my life. It was so stunningly beautiful. I'm still in shock that it all even happened. Wow.

I went as well and will write up my impressions tomorrow, although I may be repeating what peace.love.mj will say!!

One tidbit for now--Brad said that the dance tracks, like Smooth Criminal, Bad, TWYMMF were sped up 5-6% on the released tracks from what was done in the studio. He played a few demos at the unspeeded up pace and they sounded different, clearer--some people there liked the slower-paced versions better. Interesting!!!

Another short tidbit--he played parts of a 2 hour recording of MJ and Bill Bottrell creating Give In to Me--it was so amazing b/c the song--the music and lyrics--slowly emerged from the experimental sounds of Bill's guitar and MJ's singing, and you could hear it taking form piece by piece. WOW!!!!!

Final tidbit--the name 'rubba' was a word MJ used in the studio: "We need more rubba." Brad said rubba usually meant more bass--like a rubber band, the bass strings, but it could also mean more synth. More later!

ok, one more tidbit--MJ liked cherry flavored chapstick and one time Brad was going to Neverland, and he took MJ some cherry chapstick, and when he got there he gave it to him, and MJ said, 'That's the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." And Brad said, "Come on, it's just chapstick. But MJ said, "No, I really mean it. I am really grateful." Brad said this was just how MJ was--so appreciative. He said MJ was "the kindest man I ever met." AWWWWWW.

Last edited:
Back