Statement from MJ Estate Pg 12 #170 / New Yorker - Did Thriller Really Sell a 100 Million Copies?

Thriller will continue to sell great for next 100 years or more...

^^Every time they knock down Michael, he came back up fighting. Every time they knock down Thriller, it came back up charting!!!!!!

Way to go Michael. Keep on Thrilling..

just saw this girl on this site playing Billie Jean on her Pandora. This stuff is no joke. She's got an 80's channel. A lot of people have a penchant for 80's music. Especially this kind.

:unsure:

Just saw this thread...

Lemme just clarify a few things:
I think the estates of Michael, Elvis and the Beatles all over exaggerated sales to promote each artists' reputation, the labels they were associated with shipped so many of their albums over the years also.

Thriller is not disputed by anyone as the best-selling album of all time, that much is clear by Wyman, Guinness and the estate. What's NOT clear is "how much".

The American market is the biggest market for music in the world so 29 million actual sales (of the album) are accounted for.

The best-selling album in the UK (Queen's hits album) sold over 6 million, Thriller did over 4 million there. This is what it what was counted.

Another big music market, Australia, had Thriller selling over 1.12 million. The best-selling album in Australia has only gotten up to 1.6 million (Meat Loaf and some Australian dude named John Furnham) but that goes with the population.

In Canada, it's around 2 million or more.

In Japan, it's around 2.5 million copies. I think one of Mariah's albums is over 3 million so she tops MJ in the best-selling international album ever in Japan.

In France, the top-selling album there is Celine Dion's "D'eux" and that only sold like 4 million. MJ did 2.3 million there.

In Germany, it sold 1.5 million copies (best-selling album there is around 3.15 million).

So far, 29 + 4 + 1 + 2 + 2.5 + 2.3 + 1.5 = 42.30 million albums (not units mind you).

Then you gotta factor in Brazil (3.8 million), Argentina (500,000+), Austria (400,000+), Finland (119,061), Hong Kong (80,000+), Italy (100,000+), Mexico (1.6 million), the Netherlands (1.4 million), New Zealand (180,000+), Portugal (40,000+), Sweden (400,000+) and Switzerland (300,000+).

42.30 + 9.30 = roughly 51.60 million so far.

Here's more figures posted from UK Mix:
Greece = 100,000 (sales it was reported to have sold in 1983)
Spain = 600,000+
Belgium = 560,000+
Denmark = 180,000+
Poland = 20,000+
Ireland = 7,500+
Norway = 150,000+
Czechoslovakia = 100,000 in imports reported around April of 1985
Yugoslavia = 112,000 reported around June of 1984 (possibly imports)
Russia = 10,000+ (based on Thriller 25 alone; I don't think Russia sold much of international music until after the mid-1990s and right around that time Michael was finally able to take full advantage of the Russian market whereas during Thriller he wasn't able to)
Singapore = 40,000
South Korea = 3,000 (T25 only)
India = original album sold more than 100,000, T25 sold 15,000 (115,000 copies-plus)
South Africa (the only African country I know that covers album sales, not too sure about Zaire, Nigeria, Zambia, Angola, Kenya or whatever) = 100,000+

----
Hmm, well whadaya know? It rounds up to roughly 54 million plus tax. :lol:

Now you ask "well where's the other 46 million at?"

Well most countries don't have the same sales/shipments statistic ruling that a country like, say, the United States, has.

Like an album goes platinum in the states, it's one million actual sales.

In the UK, if you go platinum, the ruling is only roughly 300,000.

In Australia, you can go platinum selling 70,000.

In Japan, 250,000 is platinum, you can reach one million but it'll be a "Diamond" album. Unfortunately Thriller's Japan certification appears to be stuck in Gold but I guess they're sticking with how they tallied it up in those days (in the UK, it's sold 4.2 million but it's certified less than Bad; Thriller is 11x platinum in the UK but Bad is 13x platinum).

In Brazil, 80,000 is enough for platinum.

----
I think for Thriller to actually sell over 100 million albums (which ain't the same as units, which could be what the estate is going on...but then again I haven't been able to corroborate that the estate actually sent this statement), least five countries are going to have to go with the same estimates as the states.

Like take the UK for instance. if the certification is 11x platinum, that would mean it actually sold 11 million copies.
It's 8x platinum in the Netherlands, then it would be 8 million copies.
It's also 8x platinum in Austria.
16x platinum in Australia
3x platinum in Germany
"Diamond" in France (in the U.S./America, it's 10 million, so if we used the U.S. tally in France, then France would say 10 million)
It's also Diamond in Argentina though it only has really sold 500,000 and that goes with the country's population. But if we use the U.S. tally, it'll be 10 million.

So that's 95 million.

Then we have other certifications:
Canada is 2x Diamond... so let's say they used the U.S. tally, 2x Diamond is exactly what Thriller is in the United States, but if we used the same U.S. tally in Canada, that'll be 20+ million.

And we're over 115 million (that is if every country went by the U.S. tally and not their own). And then it's "platinum" in other countries, so it could round up to 120 million.

That would be the only way to prove Thriller actually did sell what has been rumored.

----
"But what about everything else that goes with Thriller? Should that count?"

OK, let's try that...

Let's say we round up the sales of every Thriller single release:
"The Girl is Mine"
"Billie Jean"
"Beat It"
"Wanna Be Startin' Something"
"P.Y.T."
"Human Nature"
"Thriller"

According to UKMix, in the U.S. alone, Billie Jean as a physical single did 2.5 million. The Girl is Mine, 1.5 million. Beat It, 2 million. WBSS, around 900,000+. Human Nature, around 800,000+. P.Y.T., around 600,000. Thriller, around 1.05 million. So Thriller's seven singles altogether sold roughly 9.35 million. For some singles, like Beat It and Billie Jean, if you add in mastertone and digital formats, it did over 3 million.

According to some worldwide figures for Billie Jean, it sold over 70,000+ in Australia, over 500,000 in the UK, 20,000 in Spain, 200,000+ in Canada, 1 million in France and 7.5 million in New Zealand. No other countries' sales were tallied. It went number two in South Africa but it's no telling how much copies it actually sold as of now. Some singles can successfully chart at number one or at the top ten without being certified and having no idea of the sales.

Beat It's worldwide sales include 70,000+ in Australia, 100,000+ in Canada, 15,000+ in Denmark, 1.18 million in France, 7,500+ in New Zealand, and 250,000+ in the UK.

Thriller (single)'s sales include 1 million physical sales, 3.3 million digital sales and 500,000 ringtones so it could be Michael's best-selling single of all time in the states if it's all tallied up. It did 140,000+ in Australia, 100,000+ in Canada, nearly a million in France (975,000+), 25,000+ in Italy, 30,000+ in Mexico and 250,000+ in Mexico.

To be fair, the singles' sales for Thriller were great compared to any other album before (or probably sense). Billie Jean, Beat It and Thriller were the real main sellers among the 7.

The Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller, which could or probably not count, to Thriller, sold nine million copies, I don't know if it's just the states or worldwide altogether.

I also know you probably wonder about how it matches up in LPs, cassettes, CDs and MP3s. And that's when digital album sales probably factor in and it's no telling because the estate hasn't called for audits at this point in the U.S. for digital sales as they do with albums now that are in demand both physically and digitally.

It's a difficult process, really. But either way, it doesn't diminish that it sold twice more albums than the number-two best-selling album (Back in Black, which is now roughly around between 45-50 million, give or take) while Thriller is roughly around between 51-65 million in total sales estimates (just as an album). 65 million would probably be a good excuse for most fans, mainly because of digital sales and/or T25 sales. I don't think anyone, even MJ's label, adds a copy to an album's sales based on how many compilations the album's singles are placed on there. Not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's a really weird way of adding to it because I don't know if it would mean one unit each for each compilation.

I love Michael as much as the next person but I just think when it comes to sales, we have to be honest, each artist is gonna have over-exaggerated sales. People don't believe Elvis sold a billion (and I don't even think when Elvis died, he did that much). You gotta remember, it was a really DIFFERENT time when Elvis was out. Albums weren't big then, it was mainly singles. The Beatles also came at a different time but by then albums slowly became a factor, maybe not in the early 1960s but definitely in the later portion of the decade. MJ benefited from a sales boon in the 1980s. That's why he or his estate could claim the sales it claimed to have done. Wyman might've not done favors with his opinions on Michael but you have to admit, it's actually a good discussion to see how sales are done. I just thought I'd point that out. Again, this is just from what I've been reading.

^ I see you are using the numbers from Wikipedia. For example here:

It's a difficult process, really. But either way, it doesn't diminish that it sold twice more albums than the number-two best-selling album (Back in Black, which is now roughly around between 45-50 million, give or take) while Thriller is roughly around between 51-65 million in total sales estimates (just as an album).

If Back in Black sold 50 million then Thriller sold 100 million... Because there is just as much proof for that claim. I think the list and numbers quoted in the article in the OP are more correct than Wikipedia. ~36 million is just about correct for Back in Black. No way it sold 50 million and it's not the Nr 2. best selling album either.

These were the numbers in the OP. Just about correct IMO. Much closer to reality than Wikipedia:

1. Michael Jackson, “Thriller”: 66,200,000
2. Soundtrack, “Grease”: 44,700,000
3. Pink Floyd, “The Dark Side of the Moon”: 44,200,000
4. Whitney Houston et al., “The Bodyguard”: 38,600,000
5. The Bee Gees at al., “Saturday Night Fever”: 37,200,000
6. The Eagles, “Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975”: 36,900,000
7. Bob Marley, “Legend”: 36,800,000
8. Led Zeppelin, “IV”: 35,700,000
9. AC/DC, “Back in Black”: 35,700,000
10. Shania Twain, “Come on Over”: 35,400,000
11. Michael Jackson, “Bad”: 34,700,000
12. Soundtrack, “Dirty Dancing”: 33,300,000
13. Dire Straits, “Brothers in Arms”: 33,200,000
14. Alanis Morissette, “Jagged Little Pill”: 33,200,000
15. Fleetwood Mac, “Rumours”: 33,000,000
16. The Beatles, “1”: 32,400,000
17. Pink Floyd, “The Wall”: 31,900,000
18. ABBA, “Gold”: 31,400,000
19. Guns N’ Roses, “Appetite for Destruction”: 30,800,000
20. Simon & Garfunkel, “Greatest Hits”: 30,700,000
21. Queen, “Greatest Hits”: 30,600,000
22. Celine Dion, “Let’s Talk About Love”: 30,300,000
23. Michael Jackson, “Dangerous”: 30,200,000
24. Celine Dion, “Falling into You”: 30,200,000
25. The Eagles, “Hotel California”: 30,000,000
26. Bruce Springsteen, “Born in the U.S.A.”: 29,100,000
27. Metallica, “Metallica”: 28,900,000
28. Meat Loaf, “Bat Out of Hell”: 28,700,000
29. Soundtrack, “Titanic”: 28,500,000
30. The Beatles, “Abbey Road”: 28,300,000

Hmm, well whadaya know? It rounds up to roughly 54 million plus tax.

This number contains only the certified units, not in all, but most countries. But in several countries the album is undercertified, because for an old album like Thriller they do not bother to update the certifications all the time. So we could be stuck with a number from the 80s in many cases. For the record, I do think the 100 million number is an exaggeration, but I think the number (about 66-67 million) in the OP is about correct.

ivy;3764091 said:
Statement From The Estate Of Michael Jackson Regarding Thriller

We understand that loyal MJ fans are reacting to the article that appeared in the New Yorker questioning the sales of Michael’s “Thriller” album. Let’s state this for the record: “Thriller” has sold MORE THAN 100,000,000 ALBUMS WORLDWIDE. In addition, the number of singles sold cannot even be tallied. It is far and away the largest selling album in record industry history which, ironically, the same reporter noted in the December issue of the same magazine. Quite frankly, we are unaware of the credentials of the blogger in the New Yorker, and point out that it is his opinion only, and not based on the facts of the extraordinary 30-year sales history of Michael’s masterpiece.

- John Branca and John McClain, Co-Executors, The Estate Of Michael Jackson

Just wanted to make clear the Statement from the MJ Estate is valid and was sent from official Estate reps from Mjonlineteam.

There was no reason for them to even reply to that article and I don't think they would unless they were certain Thriller sold Over 100,000,000 Albums. They are usually not frivolous with their official statements. They would have access to all the certifications and estimates around the world plus official numbers from Sony. that maybe we dont have access to.

Are the sales numbers that are told actual album sales or just how many copies have been shipped?

MJBT;3761160 said:
There just gonna have to accept the truth Michael Jackson was more than an entertainer he was a legend who a achieved more in his life time than any other artist before or since.

Absolutely!!! ;)

Are the sales numbers that are told actual album sales or just how many copies have been shipped?

IICR, shipments. Some countries (U.S. included) usually certify albums on shipments, not sales.

And to clarify for those who think Wikipedia just post wrong information (how does that explain why Michael's article is a featured article then? lol), they have "sources" too. Don't just go on Wikipedia and not click on the source to where they get the information from. :)

respect77;3842330 said:
^ I see you are using the numbers from Wikipedia. For example here:

If Back in Black sold 50 million then Thriller sold 100 million... Because there is just as much proof for that claim. I think the list and numbers quoted in the article in the OP are more correct than Wikipedia. ~36 million is just about correct for Back in Black. No way it sold 50 million and it's not the Nr 2. best selling album either.

These were the numbers in the OP. Just about correct IMO. Much closer to reality than Wikipedia:

1. Michael Jackson, “Thriller”: 66,200,000
2. Soundtrack, “Grease”: 44,700,000
3. Pink Floyd, “The Dark Side of the Moon”: 44,200,000
4. Whitney Houston et al., “The Bodyguard”: 38,600,000
5. The Bee Gees at al., “Saturday Night Fever”: 37,200,000
6. The Eagles, “Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975”: 36,900,000
7. Bob Marley, “Legend”: 36,800,000
8. Led Zeppelin, “IV”: 35,700,000
9. AC/DC, “Back in Black”: 35,700,000
10. Shania Twain, “Come on Over”: 35,400,000
11. Michael Jackson, “Bad”: 34,700,000
12. Soundtrack, “Dirty Dancing”: 33,300,000
13. Dire Straits, “Brothers in Arms”: 33,200,000
14. Alanis Morissette, “Jagged Little Pill”: 33,200,000
15. Fleetwood Mac, “Rumours”: 33,000,000
16. The Beatles, “1”: 32,400,000
17. Pink Floyd, “The Wall”: 31,900,000
18. ABBA, “Gold”: 31,400,000
19. Guns N’ Roses, “Appetite for Destruction”: 30,800,000
20. Simon & Garfunkel, “Greatest Hits”: 30,700,000
21. Queen, “Greatest Hits”: 30,600,000
22. Celine Dion, “Let’s Talk About Love”: 30,300,000
23. Michael Jackson, “Dangerous”: 30,200,000
24. Celine Dion, “Falling into You”: 30,200,000
25. The Eagles, “Hotel California”: 30,000,000
26. Bruce Springsteen, “Born in the U.S.A.”: 29,100,000
27. Metallica, “Metallica”: 28,900,000
28. Meat Loaf, “Bat Out of Hell”: 28,700,000
29. Soundtrack, “Titanic”: 28,500,000
30. The Beatles, “Abbey Road”: 28,300,000

This number contains only the certified units, not in all, but most countries. But in several countries the album is undercertified, because for an old album like Thriller they do not bother to update the certifications all the time. So we could be stuck with a number from the 80s in many cases. For the record, I do think the 100 million number is an exaggeration, but I think the number (about 66-67 million) in the OP is about correct.

To be clear lol I don't think AC/DC sold that much either. MJDangerous could be right in these sales. I can definitely believe 66 million shipments over 100 million. That's still a mighty lot! :lol:

qbee;3842332 said:
Just wanted to make clear the Statement from the MJ Estate is valid and was sent from official Estate reps from Mjonlineteam.

There was no reason for them to even reply to that article and I don't think they would unless they were certain Thriller sold Over 100,000,000 Albums. They are usually not frivolous with their official statements. They would have access to all the certifications and estimates around the world plus official numbers from Sony. that maybe we dont have access to.

Elvis' estate still claims (wrongly) that he sold a billion records. The Beatles' Capitol label claimed (and the media still claims for them) that they sold a billion and people still go on about Thriller selling a 100 million. So no I can't agree with that. I still don't know if the estate clarified it themselves. Did anyone go to the estate's site to see if they actually talked about it? I mean, this is from what I heard. I'll google it and see if the estate actually said this...

This is what MJD had to say about the estate's supposed statement:

FACT 1 - Estate supposed statement
There is absolutely nothing that proves the Estate published that message - it does not appear on MJ facebook or twitter pages, nor does it appear on MJ official site handled by the Estate and on which they always publish their statement.
Plus, that statement does not look authentic at all, that's not the way they sign their messages, they never put such sentences in capitals and would never use words like "quite frankly".
This does not sound official at all. It is not because a couple of MJ fansites and forums posted this as being from the Estate that you have to believe it blindly. I remember how many persons posted the supposed top 300 best selling albums ever by Billboard, while the list was quite simply posting my own figures from my website.

So I guess there is even confusion with the estate's supposed message about its sales...

IICR, shipments. Some countries (U.S. included) usually certify albums on shipments, not sales.

And to clarify for those who think Wikipedia just post wrong information (how does that explain why Michael's article is a featured article then? lol), they have "sources" too. Don't just go on Wikipedia and not click on the source to where they get the information from. :)

I know many of Wikipedia's sources and that's exactly how I know their info is wrong. For example, the MJ article is largely based on J. Randy Taraborelli's book. Enough said.

I used to have a conversation about it with one of Wikipedia's editors and he told me that Wikipedia is not about the truth, but about "verifyability". According to their policy, verifyability means if you can provide a book or an article as a source for a claim that's verifyable. Now, how many sources one can provide about MJ that are not true? Books such as Diane Dimond's, Bob Jones', articles such as Maureen Orth's. Does that make those claims true? No. But they can be quoted in the Wikipedia article, because they have been printed.

Wikipedia is generally not considered a reliable source. Here are some reasons why: http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news...tudents-Cannot-Cite-or-Rely-on-Wikipedia.html

You have to take anything on Wikipedia with a ton of salt.

I know many of Wikipedia's sources and that's exactly how I know their info is wrong. For example, the MJ article is largely based on J. Randy Taraborelli's book. Enough said.

I used to have a conversation about it with one of Wikipedia's editors and he told me that Wikipedia is not about the truth, but about "verifyability". According to their policy, verifyability means if you can provide a book or an article as a source for a claim that's verifyable. Now, how many sources one can provide about MJ that are not true? Books such as Diane Dimond's, Bob Jones', articles such as Maureen Orth's. Does that make those claims true? No. But they can be quoted in the Wikipedia article, because they have been printed.

Wikipedia is generally not considered a reliable source. Here are some reasons why: http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news...tudents-Cannot-Cite-or-Rely-on-Wikipedia.html

You have to take anything on Wikipedia with a ton of salt.

But see, here's my problem with that:

If it's true that Wikipedia only posts for verifiability and "not truth", then where's all the other books that documents about Michael's sales not yet posted in books? No one has seem to answer that. Just answer it from their "sources".

I do think MJD's sales on Thriller are more accurate than Wikipedia's though. I'll post those in a minute when I find them.

MJDangerous said:

WORLDWIDE

CONFIRMED SALES ONLY

Thriller - 55,244,000

Minimum estimate - Worldwide: 65,000,000

America - 36,043,000
Minimum estimate - America: 38,500,000
USA - 29,400,000 (08/2009)
Canada - 2,400,000 (Dec 1986) + 55,000 (T25)
Mexico - 1,600,000 (2009) + 120,000 (T25)
Brasil - 1,200,000 (2001) + 250,500 (codes)
Argentina - 577,000 (1999) + 20,000 (T25 Classic) + 20,000 (T25 Zombie) = 617,000
Chile - 400,000 (2008)

Europe - 14,960,000
Minimum estimate - Europe: 17,800,000
UK - 3,300,000 (1992) + 654,000 (shop sales 92-08) + 57,000 (club sales post93) + 300,000 (T25) + 248,000 (2009) = 4,559,000
France - 2,700,000 (2001) + 108,000 (2003-2008) + 220,000 (T25) + 365,000 (2009) + 20,000 (2010) = 3,413,000
Germany - 1,500,000 (1995) + 55,000 (T25)
Italy - 1,190,000 (2001) + 35,000 (T25) + 94,000 (2009) + 5,000 (T25 2009) = 1,326,000
Spain - 600,000 (1984) + 60,000 (T25) = 660,000
Finland - 119,000 (2009)
Sweden - 400,000 (2008) + 20,000 (T25) = 420,000
Austria - 400,000 (2008)
Switzerland - 300,000 (1995) + 15,000 (T25) + 15,000 (2009) = 330,000
Netherland - 800,000 (1996) + 30,000 (T25) = 830,000
Portugal - 80,000 (2008) + 20,000 (T25) = 100,000
Belgium - 550,000 + 15,000 (T25) = 565,000
Denmark - 180,000 (2008)
Greece - 100,000 (1983)
Poland - 20,000 (T25)
Ireland - 7,500 (T25)
Norway - 150,000 (2009)
Czechoslovakia - 100,000 (imports, April 1985)
Yugoslavia - 112,000 (june 1984)
Hungary - 3,000 (T25)
Russia - 10,000 (T25)

Oceania - 1,230,000
Minimum estimate - Oceania: 1,300,000
Australia - 1,050,000 (2009)
New-Zealand - 180,000 (2009)

Asia - 2,911,000
Minimum estimate - Asia: 5,000,000
Japan - 2,500,000 + 122,000 (T25) + 51,000 (2009)
Singapore - 40,000
Hong Kong - 80,000
South Korea - 3,000 (T25)
India - 100,000 (2009) + 15,000 (T25) = 115,000

South Africa - 100,000

----
As you can see, there's no proof of "Thriller" selling outside South Africa in the continent of Africa despite his popularity in some of that continent's countries (but James Brown was also popular in Africa so that doesn't really say much tbh).

As you can see from Asia, there's no proof yet of how much it sold in the Philippines and there's not enough knowledge if it was even released there as international albums aren't as marketable there as domestic albums are. Similar with Vietnam. Of course only South Korea sells albums, I doubt you'll get any sales up North lol

As you can tell these sales are from 2009. It needs an update but unfortunately MJD (who sometimes posts as GhostMJD in UK Mix) hasn't updated since he was suspended from his original MJD account (I forgot why). Thriller sold 1.2 million in Australia. There's no telling how many copies Thriller actually sold in the U.S. in 2010, 2011 or 2012 or even now. And no one has said how many shipments/sales Thriller gets a year. In the UK, instead of 4.5 million, it's 4.2 million because they didn't add from club and shop sales, just "official" sales.

Like I said, it's very difficult to tally up. But here, at least you get a sense of what's going on.

But see, here's my problem with that:

If it's true that Wikipedia only posts for verifiability and "not truth", then where's all the other books that documents about Michael's sales not yet posted in books? No one has seem to answer that. Just answer it from their "sources".

I do think MJD's sales on Thriller are more accurate than Wikipedia's though. I'll post those in a minute when I find them.

The editing of Wikipedia is a war of agendas. You can easily provide sources for both the claim that Thriller sold 100 million or that it sold 50 million and anything in between as both numbers were printed numerous times in the media, thus both are verifyable by Wiki's standards. Which number will remain in the article eventually depends on which group is pushing their agenda stronger. Just read the article about Wiki I have linked in my previous post.

Thing is there seem to be people on Wikipedia with especially strong anti-MJ agendas. In the case of album sales it came to that in MJ's case almost only the certified numbers are acknowledged now by Wikipedia, while in the case of other albums it's enough for people to find some article which published some exaggerated number about an album's sale and they will print that number without a problem. See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

It says Thriller sold 51-65 million copies. But also says Back in Black by AC/DC sold 50 million copies. Now, compare both album's certified sales. 42.3 million for Thriller, but only 25.9 million for Back in Black. But they have no problem claiming that both album's sales are about in the same range, just because there are articles which claim Black in Back sold 50 million. So it's a bit of double standards. For other albums it's enough to quote some PR driven article, but for Thriller they almost only accept the certified units. It's a joke really.

Or let's put it this way: Back in Black is certified 22 million in the USA, Thriller 29 million. In all other markets where certifications are available for both albums Thriller clearly (and often by far) outsold Back in Black. So is it realistic to say now that BIB sold 50 million and Thriller 51 million? I don't think so. I think to say that Thriller sold at least about 65 million would not be off the mark or irrealistic, considering its certifications.

Last edited:
The editing of Wikipedia is a war of agendas. You can easily provide sources for both the claim that Thriller sold 100 million or that it sold 50 million and anything in between as both numbers were printed numerous times in the media, thus both are verifyable by Wiki's standards. Which number will remain in the article eventually depends on which group is pushing their agenda stronger. Just read the article about Wiki I have linked in my previous post.

Thing is there seem to be people on Wikipedia with especially strong anti-MJ agendas. In the case of album sales it came to that in MJ's case almost only the certified numbers are acknowledge now by Wikipedia, while in the case of other albums it's enough for people to find some article which published some exaggerated number about an album's sale and they will print that number without a problem. See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums

It says Thriller sold 51-65 million copies. But also says Back in Black by AC/DC sold 50 million copies. Now, compare both album's certified sales. 42.3 million for Thriller, but only 25.9 million for Black in Black. But they have no problem claiming that both album's sales are about in the same range, just because there are articles which claim Black in Back sold 50 million. So it's a bit of double standards. For other albums it's enough to quote articles, but for Thriller they almost only accept the certified units. It's a joke really.

Or let's put it this way: Back in Black is certified 22 million in the USA, Thriller 29 million. In all other markets where certifications are available for both albums Thriller clearly (and often by far) outsold Back in Black. So is it realistic to say now that BIB sold 50 million and Thriller 51 million? I don't think so. I think to say that Thriller sold at least about 65 million would not be off the mark or irrealistic, considering its certifications.

Like I said 65 million is a more realistic number. But I'm still waiting on the book where all the real sales are brought and not just from some outrageous number. That's why it's easy to claim Elvis, Beatles and MJ sold a billion because it boosts that act's reputation but getting down to the nitty gritty is not as simple as one would think. We just don't know.

Like I said 65 million is a more realistic number. But I'm still waiting on the book where all the real sales are brought and not just from some outrageous number.

What book are you expecting about it? Do you think that everything that is printed in a book must be correct?

I think MJDangerous' numbers are about correct. I too tend to estimate the sales of Thriller at about 65-66 million.

And here is a list that highlights the problem of certifications vs. actual sales very well. This is the list of best selling albums in France: http://www.infodisc.fr/CDCertif_D.php?debut=50

Thriller is certified as Diamond there, meaning it was certified after it sold 1 million copies (in 1988) and never since. However its actual sales stand at ~2.4 million as you can see in the other column. (Same for all other MJ albums on that list - they are undercertified). But in that best selling albums list on Wiki where they quote the certified sales as 42.3 million, they only counted the 1 million. And that could be the same for many other countries.

What book are you expecting about it? Do you think that everything that is printed in a book must be correct?

I think MJDangerous' numbers are about correct. I too tend to estimate the sales of Thriller at about 65-66 million.

lol I don't know... anything that traces whatever sold. *shrug*

But yeah MJD's estimates are as closest as we're gonna get to it.

And here is a list that highlights the problem of certifications vs. actual sales very well. This is the list of best selling albums in France: http://www.infodisc.fr/CDCertif_D.php?debut=50

Thriller is certified as Diamond there, meaning it was certified after it sold 1 million copies (in 1988) and never since. However its actual sales stand at ~2.4 million as you can see in the other column. (Same for all other MJ albums on that list - they are undercertified). But in that best selling albums list on Wiki where they quote the certified sales as 42.3 million, they only counted the 1 million. And that could be the same for many other countries.

In the Thriller Wikipedia page, they correctly used the over 2.3 million estimates so I don't know why they used the one million for the best-selling albums page.

In the Thriller Wikipedia page, they correctly used the over 2.3 million estimates so I don't know why they used the one million for the best-selling albums page.

I guess because they only use the official certifications there.

I can't speak for all the other countries but that number for The Netherlands (800,000) is way too low. Thriller was certified eight times platinum in the 1980s, which means it already sold over 800,000 copies back then. I'm pretty sure people still bought Thriller after the 1980s, especially after MJ's death.

I can't speak for all the other countries but that number for The Netherlands (800,000) is way too low. Thriller was certified eight times platinum in the 1980s, which means it already sold over 800,000 copies back then. I'm pretty sure people still bought Thriller after the 1980s, especially after MJ's death.

Eight times platinum in the Netherlands don't mean eight million sales though. So in Netherlands estimates, where is he? 1 million in actual sales?

Eight times platinum in the Netherlands don't mean eight million sales though. So in Netherlands estimates, where is he? 1 million in actual sales?

Who said anything about eight million sales? Until the 1990s, an album was certified platinum in The Netherlands if it sold 100,000 copies. Thriller was certified eight times platinum in the 1980s, which means it sold 800,000 copies already back then. It's impossible that this number didn't change in 30 years' time, especially after Michael's death when his sales went through the roof here. I can't find any recent data on Thriller's record sales from a reliable source but it must be over 1 million, at least. The Dutch Wikipedia says 2 million but it doesn't provide a source. The English Wikipedia puts it at 1.4 million in 2001 citing a newspaper article. In any case, it's way higher than the 800,000 that was quoted in your post.

Who said anything about eight million sales? Until the 1990s, an album was certified platinum in The Netherlands if it sold 100,000 copies. Thriller was certified eight times platinum in the 1980s, which means it sold 800,000 copies already back then. It's impossible that this number didn't change in 30 years' time, especially after Michael's death when his sales went through the roof here. I can't find any recent data on Thriller's record sales from a reliable source but it must be over 1 million, at least. The Dutch Wikipedia says 2 million but it doesn't provide a source. The English Wikipedia puts it at 1.4 million in 2001 citing a newspaper article. In any case, it's way higher than the 800,000 that was quoted in your post.

I wonder why the estate hasn't asked Sony Europe to audit its sales to IFPI if it supposedly did two million in the Netherlands. What are the biggest-selling albums in the Netherlands, do you know?

I wonder why the estate hasn't asked Sony Europe to audit its sales to IFPI if it supposedly did two million in the Netherlands. What are the biggest-selling albums in the Netherlands, do you know?

I don't understand that either. I know it costs money to update the certifications but to me, it's worth it.

For some odd reason, I can't find any information on the biggest-selling albums in The Netherlands. Thriller is definitely up there, though. In 2010, it was all over the news that Caro Emerald (a Dutch singer) had broken Michael Jackson's record from 1983 for most weeks at #1. Thriller was #1 for 26 weeks.

I don't understand that either. I know it costs money to update the certifications but to me, it's worth it.

For some odd reason, I can't find any information on the biggest-selling albums in The Netherlands. Thriller is definitely up there, though. In 2010, it was all over the news that Caro Emerald (a Dutch singer) had broken Michael Jackson's record from 1983 for most weeks at #1. Thriller was #1 for 26 weeks.

Interesting. There needs to be more information. It turns out not too many information about other countries are known of what sold most. It's confusing. Makes me question each artist's sales sometimes. Especially before the 1980s and 1990s. Most worldwide sales info you get now are from albums that came out 15 years ago, not 30 years like Thriller.

Back