Atheist thread

@ Snow White, I read an interesting article about the Catholic Church in Mexico and their complicity in cartel violence. Mexico's Deadly for Priests, but the Church is Complicit with Killers. What is your take on this?

Excerpts:

Violence against Catholic clergy is nothing new here. Since 1990, at least 56 religious leaders have been killed in Mexico, including one cardinal.

In 1993, Tijuana’s Arellano Felix Cartel made headlines after a shootout at the Guadalajara airport left Cardinal Juan Jesús Posadas Ocampo and six others dead. The day Cardinal Posadas was gunned down, curiously, the Holy See’s top representative in Mexico was headed to the Guadalajara airport to pick him up.

In the months after the cardinal’s death, two Tijuana cartel brothers, Ramón and Benjamin Arellano Félix, met separately with Pope John Paul II’s representative—the first apostolic nuncio to Mexico, Italian Archbishop Girolamo Prigione—to plead their innocence in the cardinal’s death. Prigione, who died this past May, eventually acknowledged the two separate meetings occurred.

During those encounters, he blessed the drug trafficking brothers—who at the time were responsible for about 40 percent of the cocaine entering the United States—and at their behest visited with top Mexican officials, including then-President Carlos Salinas de Gortari, to relay their message.

According to the Mexican government, the cardinal’s death was a mistake that arose when armed hitmen for the Arellano Félix Cartel confused the clergyman for, of all people, Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán Loera, the infamous leader of Tijuana’s rival Sinaloa cartel.

The Mexican government cleared Benjamin Arellano Félix of charges related to the cardinal’s murder, and in 2011 he was extradited to the US to face drug trafficking and money laundering charges.

Posadas’s death has never been fully clarified. But this event exposed the fact that the three most powerful forces in Mexico—the cartels, the State, the Church—often are linked inextricably, even fatally.

I spoke to a journalist on Tuesday who survived being kidnapped and beaten by cartel members in Tamaulipas—one of the few who has been so fortunate.

He said: “If priests are being affected by violence in Mexico, it’s a direct result of the Church’s omission, their failure to take a genuine stand against the violence that is plaguing the country.”

“If the Church insisted, there would be millions of good Catholics marching through the streets, demanding the government take action and combat the violence,” he said, adding that it is not in the Church’s interest to upset the will of the government. “Now, instead of demanding peace and an end to this era of impunity, the Church is lining up to complain about gays.”

“But homosexuals aren’t threatening to destroy Mexico’s families—as the Church claims—they aren’t leaving children orphaned, and making refugees of hard-working people. It’s the narcos and the bad government,” he said. “It’s the violence we all face every day that is ruining our families.”

It’s a common refrain in Mexico following the protests: The Church is silent when it needs to speak up—but loud when it should just shut up.

The incident in Ecuador's Got Talent occurred last year in September, atheists in Latin America alike were outraged at the judges' bigotry and discrimination towards Carolina. Sponsorships to the show were taken away because of what those women did and I think eventually fired.

On a positive note, Carolina Peña was invited to The Reason Rally 2016 to perform a tribute song to Christopher Hitchens written by Penn Jillette. A very sweet moment, IMO.

[video=youtube;x7PPHmmH-Hw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PPHmmH-Hw[/video]

As for Linda's question, what's my take? That it doesn't surprise me at all, the church and the organized crime go hand in hand, IMO. It's known drug lords have bought their entrance to heaven and have given to the clergy money to have their blessings, it wouldn't surprise if the church is involved in the money laundry alongside Mexican cartels. How could the church take a stand against the criminals who give them so much money? And the priests who have dared to do so pay the consequences with their lives.

yes i know i can´t be here but
ill like to share this video with my *cousins* (not preaching stuff/bible discussion this time :angel:)

[video=youtube;6UaqRXe3Ih0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UaqRXe3Ih0[/video]

the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
1 John 5:19

The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
2 Corinthians 4:4

we are all trap in the "Matrix/Egypt/Babylon"
Yeshua/Jesus is the way out not religion or church
ill talk to you again next year If is the Father will
take care
:angel::ciao:

Re: Athesit Thread (For non-believers only)

^ Thanks for that. I personally draw a lot of wisdom and moral clarity from Harry Potter as far as magical books go.

longform-original-19888-1424711210-4.png

But to each his own :)

I have to vent my fellow atheist MJ fans.

So I went to my father's today for a Christmas visit. He and his wife are evangelical Christians (worst kind of Christians IMO) and every time I go there I end up being pissed inside, so I stay away most of the time. One time they go into some homophobic rant with no reason. I guess their church (which was also my church before I decided to leave) must be preaching a lot about homosexuality lately because it wasn't yet so much of an obsession of them when I was in the church. Another time they keep pressuring me to go back to the church (barf).

Anyway, this time they had some guests over - who are also from their church as most of their friends are. And this woman strats to tell about a video she saw on YouTube about some girl who supposedly went to Hell. She claimed to have seen Pope John Paul II in Hell and Catholic nuns (how convenient for a protestant, I thought, as I was already rolling my eyes inside). Then she says that the girl also claims to have seen MJ.

I looked up the story since then on the Internet so here it is for you in full glory. LOL.

He then told me that many famous people were walking to that place, famous and important people. Take for example, Michael Jackson. This man was a famous man, a man known the world over but this man was a Satanist, although many may not see it that way, but it is the truth. This man had satanic covenants: He would come to agreements with the devil in order to achieve fame and attract many fans. Those steps that he performed, let me tell you, that’s the way demons walk while tormenting people in hell. There’s one step that the demons dance, sliding back and not moving forward. That’s how they dance in hell while they shout; enjoying the anguish they impose upon those people. Let me tell you that Michael Jackson is in hell. Why? Because the Lord let me see him. This was not during the time that I remained dead. The Lord showed this to me after he died. He let me see Michael Jackson tormented in flames and I cried. Why? I cried because it’s not easy to see how this man was being tormented and how he would scream. And anyone who listens to Michael Jackson’s songs, who sings Michael Jackson’s songs and who is a fan of Michael Jackson, let me tell you that Satan is trapping you in his web so that you will end up in hell. Right now, renounce to that in the name of Jesus! He wants to set you free so that you are not lost.

Another part is about the singer Selena who died in 1995.

“At that moment, the Lord told me that there were many famous people in that place and also many people who had known about the Lord, and He said, “I am going to show you another part of the furnace.’ He took me to a place where I could observe a woman who was surrounded by flames, very much tormented and she would scream begging the Lord for mercy. He signaled to her with his hand and told me, ‘Daughter, that woman that you see over there, surrounded by flames, is Selena.’ The Lord told me that Selena was there and we started getting closer to her. She was screaming, ‘Lord, have mercy on me, forgive me Lord, take me out of this place!’ She was repenting at that moment and the Lord looked at her and He told her, ‘It’s late, it’s too late. You cannot repent now.’ She acknowledged me and turning to me , she said, ‘ Please, I ask you to go tell humanity about this, please speak out and do not be silent; go and tell them not to come to this place; go and tell them not to listen to my songs nor sing my songs!’ I asked her, ‘Why do you tell me this; why do you want me to go and say this?’ And she answered, ‘Because every time that they sing and listen to my songs, I am tormented even more and when I am tormented, the person who does this, who sings and listens to these songs that I used to sing when I was alive, is walking to this place. Please, go tell them not to come here; go tell them that hell is real!’ She would scream and demons would hurl spears from afar into her body and she would cry, ‘Help me, Lord, have mercy on me, Lord!’ And the Lord told her, ‘It is too late.’ I looked far away in that place full of singers and artists who have died and all they did was sing and sing- they wouldn’t stop singing. The Lord explained, ‘Daughter, the person who is here, must continue doing here, whatever she did on Earth, if she has not repented.’

http://www.christian-faith.com/23hr...ell-michael-jackson-pope-john-paul-ii-others/

This is the video (there must be a translated version somewhere, but I didn't bother to find it)

[video=youtube;TkyXw-2c1I4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkyXw-2c1I4[/video]

The woman didn't know I was an MJ fan so she didn't say it to piss me off but I was alone against five gullible fundamentalist Christians so I knew there was no use reasoning with them so I was just pissed inside. I don't know what pissed me off more, the stupidity of it, how gullible they are or the attack on MJ's person. So with all the sufferning, wars, evil and diseases in the world the Almighty God, Creator of the Universe is preoccupied with the Moonwalk and people listening to MJ and Selena songs? LOL, alright. Even from a Christian perspective how does this even make sense that God would take someone to Hell to send her back with a message to humanity and the message is "don't watch the moonwalk and don't listen to Selena because it is demonic"? Priorities as usual with this Christian God, I guess. LOL.

I cannot believe how people in the 21st century can be so backwards and so gullible.

I guess, I should have just told them: "So God has lame Christian Rock and Satan has MJ? I always knew Lucifer was the way cooler dude." LOL.

Last edited:

I don't know what's more surprising to me in this story, how people come up with all that idiocy, ridiculousness or people buying to it in this era. I don't know how you did to not mocking them because it's indeed idiotic.

This priest should admit THE WHOLE church system was made uo to control people, not just hell. And just in case it happens to exist, I prefer a million times to be in company of famous musicians, actors, renowned scientist, etc than with a bunch of racist, bigoted, homophobic, misogynistic assholes praising a "jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." (Yes, I'm quoting Richard Dawkins)

I totally agree on both points ie.

1) Hell is an invention to keep people under control by putting fear in their hearts enough not to step out of line or start questioning. In fact, I experienced it myself when in the church. For long I ignored my questions and dissatisfaction with Christianity due to fear from Hell. It is a powerful tool while you believe in it. I mean who wants to be enernally tormented? And fundamentalist Christians are particularly ****ed up in their teachings about it - basically everyone goes to Hell but them. (They so love to place Catholics in Hell, for example.) But even not all of them will avoid it because if you step out of line in any minor thing you may end up in Hell as well. I mean people deserve eternal torment for masturbating or sleeping with someone out of wedlock but especially for being gay, don't they? And now it is obvious to me, that they also deserve eternal torment for watching MJ's dance. Meanwhile you can be a murderer, a rapist, a backstabber but if you repent and confess Jesus as your saviour 5 minutes before your death you will get to Heaven. I often see in documentaries murderers in jail getting "saved" in jail before they get executed - hallelujah, they will go to Heaven, never mind what horrible act they committed. On the other hand if their victims weren't Christians when he killed them then they are forever in Hell. It is obvious that the Almighty Creator of the Universe has great priorities and some great and just rules. LOL.

BTW, Hell actually doesn't exist in the Old Testament (or it is very different from the Christian concept), it is a Christian invention and I think they have taken it from other religions - esp. Egyptian. As you have said, to keep people under control.

Oh BTW, this Darkmatter2525 video shows well how desirable the company in Heaven is. LOL. (from 3:00)

2) "jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."
I always liked that description by Dawkins, because the God of the Bible is precisely this if you actually pay attention to the Bible. One of my many problems while I was a Christian. I just couldn't find a way to really love this person described in the Bible as God. He seemed unfair, unjust, unpredictable with temper tantrums, playing favours and always taking the side of some backstabbing cheater (ie. Jacob against Esau) - basically a bully, like Dawkins said. How can you genuienaly love this person? People only say they love him because 1) either they never read the Bible and they have their own fluffy image of God, that however has nothing to do with how God is described in the Bible, 2) or they just say they love him out of fear of him.

Last edited:

^^^ about point 1 there is this one image which proves your point a bit

dont_argue.jpg
:lol:

as far as option #2 I wouldn't be so sure about that one since there can be people who have genuine love for God that is not rooted either in absolute fear of Him or in an easy, idealized image of Him and His not-always-comprehensible-ways. I'd like to hope that I am one such person, but only God would know that for sure.

With regards to those charlatans who have all kinds of claims and put a rush and unworthy label of Christianity over their words, they aren't even worth the bother. At times, Christianity's biggest foes are right within its midst; but then again, just because someone claims to be a Christian that doesn't necessarily make them one.

The portrayal of God in Darkmatter2525's videos is spot on. LOL.

^Darkmatter read the bible through and through, it reminds me the quote Issac Asimov said about properly reading it. “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”

I agree with this quote because the more I read it, the more questions, doubts regading my beliefs, skepticism I had, as well as outrage thinking how the god in the bible could be seen as loving. In the bible he treats his followers like a psychopath in an abusive relationship, if you don't love me and do what I say, I'll punish you, torture you, kill you and send you to hell to be tormented for all the eternity.

"But you ask me what the scariest things are in Christianity: this infatuation with biblical prophecy and this notion that Jesus is going to come back as an avenging savior to kill all the bad people." -- Sam Harris.

^It reminds me of the images I saw from the Watchtower's Armageddon. If JW show these images to children, I don't know how they have the nerve to traummatize them since a very young age, many of those imamges are terryfying.

listen-to-god-destroy-p21.jpg

They show them to children, I'm copying the caption bellow this picture.

learn-from-great-teacher-ch46-armageddon.jpg

Learn from the Great Teacher (2003 Children's book) ch 46

armageddon-watchtower-sep-1-1997.jpg

Just hear the satisfaction and thrilling in this lunatic's voice talking about how the wicked will perrish.

'Scared Straight' has been an ongoing show.. lol! you can scare people into voting specific ways and living specific ways.. fear is a powerful emotion to utilize!

^It reminds me of the images I saw from the Watchtower's Armageddon. If JW show these images to children, I don't know how they have the nerve to traummatize them since a very young age, many of those imamges are terryfying.

And people worry about movies. At least with movies you know they are fiction, but when children are conditioned into this "judgement day" mindset they are taught that this will be real.

I would like to start by saying that I have been raised agnostic, but I am atheist, and so are my parents. My mum used to be religious; she told me she enjoyed going to church as a child because it was the kind of church they had in "Sister Act," but she was still forced to go. She decided to let me and my little sister make up our own minds.

I can't quite pinpoint a reason as to why I don't believe in God; I was baptised as a child, and am technically Catholic, but my Mum did it, so I could get into a good school. I was only about 3 or 4, so I don't really remember it; I was just excited that we were going to have a big party.
But I truly can't stand it when people say that God will take care of people; what kind of God would allow thousands of starving children to die every day?

I don't speak about my religion, or lack thereof, because I live in a part of the UK, where, to be honest, nobody really cares. I don't think I've met a single religious person in my life. I remember talking to someone online, who I believe came from the US, and they signed off with "God bless you," and I found it strange if I'm honest (no offence meant to anybody.)

I'm fine with being atheist, because I don't need an ancient book, or the threat of a man in the sky watching me all the time, to tell me how to be a good person.

what turns so many people away from religion is judgmental thinking... Not a very good sales tactic for people trying to recruit others! Why go somewhere to feel judged? Judged and 'scared' straight!! It's not a comfortable environment to be in.

Political correctness has poisoned the left. If people call themselves liberals/liberal leftists, they should stand for liberal values instead of tolerating ideas and practices which threaten human rights disguised as anti bogotry and anti racism.

Political correctness has poisoned the left. If people call themselves liberals/liberal leftists, they should stand for liberal values instead of tolerating ideas and practices which threaten human rights disguised as anti bogotry and anti racism.

No, it hasn't. I wish liberals like Dave Rubin (and Sam Harris to a lesser extent) would get off their high horse and stop regurgitating right-wing talking points. What is dismissed as "political correctness" these days used to be called basic manners and respect. What is derided as "social justice warriors" are people with often legitimate grievances who try to make a difference. It's easy to pick on fringe movements on the far-left (the kind of people who believe white people eating sushi is cultural appropriation) to make yourself sound more reasonable and intellectually superior but the truth is that the vast majority of mainstream liberals are on the same page as Harris and Rubin. They're really not all that controversial. Case in point:

[youtube]pVZVCbW63lc[/youtube]

Young people are often more extreme and idealistic in their views so it's not surprising that college campuses are more likely to drift away from the political center. It was no different for students in the 1960s, 70s, 80s or 90s. I haven't watched the video but just the title "the left is no longer liberal" is laughable. From what I've seen of Dave Rubin and his fierce support of Israel, I would hesitate to call him a liberal. He has blurred the line between reasonable criticism of Islam and anti-Muslim bigotry a long time ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in favour of Trump's Muslim ban, tbh.

Edit: just had a quick glance at his Twitter feed. Yep, quoting right-wing articles (or as he calls it, "non-hysterical") on the Muslim ban and jumping to conclusions about the Quebec attack on a mosque (must've been a jihadist when in fact it was a right-wing extremist).

Though I mentioned Sam Harris in the beginning of my post, I do appreciate his perspective on a broad range of topics. I listen to his podcasts and have read his books. He is always careful to distinguish Islam as a religion from Muslims who believe in an interpretation of that religion. It's a difficult line to tread. I do think he overestimates the degree of "illiberalism" among liberals but I guess it makes some people feel good to know that they're the real, pure, rational liberals unlike the rest of the left.

Another edit: alright, I just pushed myself to watch that Rubin video though I had to stop it halfway. He claims that Trump's win was a rebuke of regressive identity politics. Really now? Trump's whole campaign revolved around identity politics. White, working class identity politics that is (or evangelical Christian identity politics when it suited him). He mentions the pro-life women at the Women's March but these women were allowed to join the march (and they did), there was resistance against them co-opting the meaning of the march (women's access to reproductive health care, among other things) which seems reasonable enough, esp. considering there was a major pro-life march in Washington a few days later. He sees a contradiction in BLM protesting against gay cops, as if gays can't be racist. He lectures us on the importance of judging people as individuals rather than a collective but often neglects to do this himself when it comes to the Muslim community. He says the left values diversity in skin colour but not diversity in thought, all the while chastising and disowning a particular faction of the left he disagrees with. He can't identify with the left anymore because he is against safe spaces and trigger warnings, as if 1) those things are relevant to liberals beyond college age, and 2) those things are particular to the left. Nobody is more thin-skinned and easily triggered than Donald Trump and his fanboys. Whenever SNL is doing an impersonation of him, you can bet he's whining about it on Twitter. "When I'm President, everyone is going to say Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays, believe me!" Such a child -_-

Last edited:

^ I don't know much about David Rubin - I have only seen his interviews with Sam Harris and Ayaan Hirsi Ali - but I don't think Sam Harris is on any "high horse". I actually find him refreshing and thoughtful.

I like Sam Harris as well, it's just on this issue that I find him a bit condescending.

My experience is that it is not just some "fringe movement" and that there are very many liberals who are unfortunately closer to someone like Ben Affleck than Sam Harris. And I don't think that is a good thing. And I don't think it is a bad thing if liberals and people on the left self-reflect sometimes. Trump and his supporters have a thin skin too? Yes, so? I don't think Rubin's point was that now as a liberal you have to go and support Trump, so I feel like saying "Trump supporters do this too" is a moot point here.

We'll agree to disagree then. I don't think there is any way to measure just how many liberals would side with Ben Affleck over Sam Harris. I believe that the internet and (social) media magnify the most outspoken opinions on the left and right and encourages manufactured outrage over the silliest things. If most liberals were indeed no longer 'liberal', people like Rubin, Harris and Bill Maher wouldn't have the platform that they do. Speaking of, I'm sure you'll enjoy this ;D

[youtube]JaC1-U8LIY0[/youtube]

The reason I mentioned Trump is that Rubin said people voted for Trump because they were tired identity politics and nonsense like safe spaces and trigger warnings. But that is bullsh*t on its face because no one exploits identity politics more than Trump does and no one is as hyper-sensitive to criticism either.

I also disagree with you that if you support Israel you cannot be a liberal - considering it is one of the few democratic countries in the Middle East. Sure, not without problems, but the only one that is actually a liberal democracy. In how many other Middle Eastern countries you can openly walk down the street as a gay person and, God forbid, have a Gay Pride march? Try that in any of the neighbouring countries. In how many other Middle Eastern countries do you have equal status as a woman? I am sure you mean the Palestinian issue, but it is a complicated one with not easy and one-sided causes and answers. Also a lot of the conflict is rooted in religion which makes progress so damn difficult. Despite of the problems and the difficulties I personally disagree that someone who supports Israel cannot be a liberal.

I don't believe that Israel's inhumane treatment of Palestinians can be excused just because it calls itself a liberal democracy. It is indeed a complicated issue with no one-sided causes or answers, which is why Dave Rubin's fierce and unquestioning support of Israel is so hypocritical. He has referred to Israel as "the only beacon of coexistence in the Middle East" which I doubt many Palestinians would agree with, and said that the recent UN resolution against illegal Israeli settlements were just a way to "blame the Jews", even though the resolution was very clear in condemning Palestinian violence as well. A principled liberal would not automatically side with the non-Muslim side in any argument.

To be precise what he said was people were "tired of the identity politics of the left". I don't think saying Trump supporters do identity politics as well negate that point. The left/liberals are supposed to be better, not like Trump supporters.

Well, you could interpret it that way if you're generous. I think he was implying that people were tired of identity politics and the left often gets tarred with that even though the right does it just as much, if not more. It's just that hardly anyone calls them out on it.

I don't mind anyone's criticism of anyone's inhuman treatment, but how I understood it what you said was that you cannot be a liberal if you support Israel. I disagree - and in fact there are a great number of liberals who support Israel and there are perfectly legit liberal reasons to do so. Yes, there are problems and flaws but there are perfectly legit reasons to think if Israel suddenly ceased to exist what would come after it would be worse in terms of liberal values. I mean just take a look around the surrounding countries. Take a look at women's position, gay rights in those countries and the situation regarding ethnic/religious discrimination isn't any better either. (Just look up Syrian Jews, for example.) I don't want to open the can of worms that is Israel, as it is a complex subject with many, many layers, but I do take issues with the suggestion that someone's liberalism can be question based on supporting Israel.

I think we have a misunderstanding of what it means to "support" Israel. I'm definitely not saying that Israel should cease to exist or that it's not better than its neighbouring countries when it comes to gender equality and LGBT rights. But that doesn't mean we should condone everything Israel does when they are clearly and unquestionably breaking international law with the continued occupation of contested land. And that was what the UN resolution was about, it called on Israel to stop the illegal settlements because they were imperiling the possibility for a two-state solution. It can't go on like this. Israel calls itself a democratic Jewish state but if they keep encroaching on Muslim-majority land, something's got to give. Either it will no longer be a Jewish state or it will no longer be democratic. Is it really supporting Israel if you stand by while they're on a path to self-destruction? Like John Kerry said in his speech addressing the resolution, "friends need to tell each other the hard truths." To dismiss all of this like Rubin does and say it's just about "blaming the Jews" is a deeply illiberal position. In fact, Israeli liberals will tell you so. And ironically, it's the definition of playing identity politics too.

Anyway, our orange friend across the pond made another announcement today. I'm sure Mike Pence had a hand in this.

Trump Vows to ‘Destroy’ Law Banning Political Activity by Churches

By MARK LANDLER <time class="dateline" datetime="2017-02-02T16:13:41-05:00" itemprop="dateModified" content="2017-02-02T16:13:41-05:00" style="white-space: nowrap; font-size: 0.6875rem; line-height: 0.75rem; font-family: nyt-cheltenham-sh, georgia, &quot;times new roman&quot;, times, serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); margin-left: 0px;">FEB. 2, 2017</time>

WASHINGTON — President Trump vowed Thursday to overturn a law restricting political speech by tax-exempt churches, a potentially huge victory for the religious right and a gesture to his political base.

Mr. Trump said his administration would “totally destroy” the Johnson Amendment, which prohibits churches from engaging in political activity at the risk of losing their tax-exempt status.

Repealing the law would require approval by Congress. Certain tax-exempt organizations — in this case, churches — are not allowed to openly endorse or campaign for political candidates. If they do, under existing law, they risk losing the benefits of their tax-exempt status.

Speaking to a gathering of religious leaders, the president also defended his immigration policy, brushed aside concern about his harsh phone calls with foreign leaders, and ridiculed Arnold Schwarzenegger for his poor ratings in replacing Mr. Trump as host of “Celebrity Apprentice.”

He did not mention an executive order on religious freedom, which critics said would restrict the rights of lesbians and gay men; a draft of the order has circulated, but administration officials have denied that it will be adopted.

In addressing the issue of churches and political speech, Mr. Trump said, “I will get rid of and totally destroy the Johnson Amendment and allow our representatives of faith to speak freely and without fear of retribution.”

He added that “freedom of religion is a sacred right, but it is under serious threat.”

During his presidential campaign, Mr. Trump promised to push for repeal of the law, which was passed in 1954 and named for then-Senator Lyndon B. Johnson of Texas, who proposed the change to the tax code.

Mr. Trump also went off topic in his address to the National Prayer Breakfast. He told the audience not to worry about reports that he had held tempestuous phone calls with the leaders of allies Australia and Mexico, saying a tough approach was long overdue.

“When you hear about the tough phone calls, don’t worry,” he said. “We’re being taken advantage of by countries around the world. It’s time for us to be a little tough. It’s not going to happen anymore.”

Mr. Trump also needled Mr. Schwarzenegger, the former governor of California, for failing to maintain his ratings as the new host of “Celebrity Apprentice.” “We know how that turned out,” he said. “The ratings went down the tubes.”

“I want to just pray for Arnold, for those ratings,” he said.

The president spent much of his speech defending the visa ban on citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries, which caused chaos at airports and set off protests across the country.

“Terrorism is a fundamental threat to religious freedom,” he declared. “It must be stopped and it will be stopped.”

The president described “peace-loving Muslims” who had been killed by jihadi fighters aligned with the Islamic State, as well as a campaign of genocide against Christians in the Middle East. Extremists, he said, took advantage of the “generosity” of Americans to undermine the nation’s safety.

“My administration will do everything in its power to defend religious liberty,” he said. “We have to feel safe and secure.”

Mr. Trump talked about the influence of faith in his own life, referring to the family Bible, which was used when he took the oath of office at his inauguration. His mother, he said, read to him from that Bible during his childhood.

“America is a nation of believers,” he said. “The quality of our lives is not defined by our material success, but by our spiritual success.”

“I tell you that as someone who has had material success,” he added, before noting that many rich people are “very miserable, unhappy people.”

The breakfast featured the usual menu of homilies and testimonials to the power of faith. But the proceedings took a show-business turn when Mark Burnett, the Hollywood producer, stepped to the podium to introduce the president. Mr. Burnett recalled the influence Mr. Trump’s book, “The Art of the Deal,” had on him as a recently arrived immigrant. He later produced “Celebrity Apprentice” as a reality television vehicle for Mr. Trump.

The president led his remarks with an extended reminiscence about the show, recalling that he fired his agent after the agent rejected Mr. Burnett’s pitch for the program. “I actually got on the phone and fired him myself,” Mr. Trump said with a smile.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/us/politics/trump-johnson-amendment-political-activity-churches.html?_r=0

Reading this book I looked into the practice of Female Genital Mutilation a little bit (since Ayaan went through it at the age of 5 and is talking about it openly in her book). Of course, I knew about this before as well, but I am shocked it is actually as wide-spread as it is in certian countries. In Somalia from where Ayaan is almost every girl goes through it. I am very surprised at Egypt's high percentage. I didn't know it was such a wide-spread practice there.

I found another map from the WHO/UNICEF with even higher percentages for some countries:

fgmfig2.jpg

I knew FGM was prevalent in some East African countries but I had no idea it was so widespread across the continent either. I remember that Reza Aslan (religious scholar and Islam apologist) once referred to FGM as a "central African problem, not an Islamic problem" but after doing a bit more research, I found out that it is a common practice in certain Middle Eastern and Asian countries as well. In Indonesia for example, 49% of girls younger than 15 have undergone FGM.

It is true that this tradition is rooted in both religion and culture though. The country that most surprised me was Ethiopia because only one-third of the population is Muslim. That means a lot of non-Muslims engage in this barbaric practice as well.

While it is most prelevant in Islamic countries, it cannot be put on Islam alone, although there are Hadith that are praising it as "honorable", but at the same time they also make it clear it is not obligatory. Some argue that other Hadiths forbid it. The pratcice, therefore, seems more traditional than something that is definitely coming from Islam, although it is well connected with Islam's obsession with repressing female sexuality and viewing female's control of their own sexuality as dangerous.

Exactly. Even if there was no direct reference to FGM in any religious texts, the practice is clearly linked to the stigma on female sexuality that exists in many traditional societies - and religion is one of the main reasons keeping that stigma in place.

When I now looked up about it a bit more I was shocked to find that there are people who defend the practice - and I do not mean those who practice it for religious or traditional madness. But Western people, eg. some cultural antropologists, arguing that fighting against it is once again the "cultural imperialism" of the West. WTF? I am sorry but you cannot get away with anything hiding behind culture and if one culture or another has barbaric practices that violate human rights then those traditions need to go. Some others were trying to argue that many women "voluntarily" and "happily" undergo it in these cultures. First of all, most of the time this is practiced on children, so their so called "consent" is very problematic. They have simply been brainwashed into thinking this was the right thing to do and if they do not undergo it they will be "unclean" and ousted from their communities. Ayaan tells in her book about how other girls mocked them when they weren't yet "circumcised" and how difficult it is to marry a girl in Somalia who did not undergo it. So of course, in a society like that, a kid would "want it". That doesn't mean they would still want it as adults after learning about the consequences. Kids often do not even know what it means before they undergo it. So to reference these girls' supposed "voluntarism" is like when pedophiles argue the kid supposedly "gave consent". WTF, that supposedly intelligent people can make this "consent" argument for FGM? BTW, pedophiles also use the "cultural relativism" argument saying how it was normal in ancient Greece so it should be normal now. Or one could make an argumen for cannibalism or human sacrifice based on this logic. After all it was a part of certain cultures. See how that works?

No matter how much something is rooted in religion or tradition if it violates human rights, especially as severly and irreversibly as FGM, it needs to go.

These people live in their own little intellectual bubble and probably think their position is rather sophisticated, when in actual fact it condones the sexual repression of women in traditional societies and makes it harder for them to fight against it. You are absolutely right, it is hard to argue "consent" or "free will" when there is such a pressure and expectation for women to undergo genital mutilation. There are no objective benefits to FGM, it is a dangerous and painful procedure that can lead to lifelong medical problems such as recurrent infections, infertility, chronic pain, bleeding, complications during childbirth, difficulty urinating and passing menstrual flow, etc. Who volunteers for this? Not to mention that FGM is overwhelmingly done to little girls that haven't even reached puberty yet and are in no position to give consent:

fgmfig1.jpg

Are non-atheists allowed to comment or express their opinions on here?

Respect,

Do you honestly believe that Islam promotes beating your wives? There's wisdom in that verse, and if you took the time to understand what the revelation is actually saying with proper context, you'd be surprised to know that Islam says you can't beat your wife.

Also, Sharia Law varies from country to country. For exmaple, Women can't drive in Suadi, however in Yemen they can, under Sharia Law. Nothing to do with Islam. Sharia Law in Saudi Arabia should not be the representation of Islam.

"Sharia law was deveoped within a clear historical context, that evolved in response to specific historical circumstances, and that it was privy to the same social, polititcal, and economic factors that have been infleunced all legal codes in all cultures and in every part of the world."

Nonetheless, a lot of those laws are not contextualized and just looked at in face value. Ayaan may think she knows all about Islamic history and the Qur'an, but she only hears what she wants to hear because of her own biased misrepresented views of Islam.

Last edited:

Respect,

"Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand."

2 part anwser to this:

firstly,

The original language of the Quran is in Arabic. That means theres only 1 Quran which is in arabic, the translated ones are merely a translation.

Because of the variability of the Arabic language, the arabic word 'qawwamuna' is grammtically, systematically, and definitionally correctly translated to the words 'watch over', 'protect', 'support', 'attend to', 'look after' or........'be in charge of'

Same goes for the arabic word 'adribubunna', which can be translatred correctly to, 'turn away from them', 'go along with them', 'have consensual intercourse with them', or...............'beat/strike them'

secondly,

When prophet Muhammad revealed this verse, his followers asked him how they can beat their wives, since the verse doesn't explain how. Poprhet Muhammad explains 1. You CAN NOT strike the face 2. You CAN NOT cause pain 3. You CAN NOT leave a mark

So anyone in their right mind can come to the conclusion that those conditions to 'beating' doesn't make it really beating as the arabic word was rendered to. This is why the Qur'an can't be exactly translated into English.

Thus, the Quran says you CAN NOT beat your wives. If you do, you have sinned!

Last edited:

Respect,

Do you honestly believe that Islam promotes beating your wives? There's wisdom in that verse, and if you took the time to understand what the revelation is actually saying with proper context, you'd be surprised to know that Islam says you can't beat your wife.

I would love to hear that context because a straightforward reading of the text clearly says that men can physically discipline their wives if they are disobedient. The source Respect77 linked to (http://corpus.quran.com/translation.jsp?chapter=4&verse=34) provides several translations of this verse by Islamic scholars and every single one mentions the 'beatings'. The most liberal interpretation I have heard is that men aren't supposed to literally beat their wives, a light tap on the wrist is sufficient. But that doesn't excuse the deeper reason for why this verse is problematic, which is that it describes men and women as fundamentally unequal. Men are in charge of women and women are supposed to be devoutly obedient lest they be 'punished' in some way. I wonder if you would still see the wisdom in this verse if the gender roles were reversed. It's degrading to be treated like a child who needs a caretaker and who can't be trusted with her own opinions. No man would settle for that.

Also, Sharia Law varies from country to country. For exmaple, Women can't drive in Suadi, however in Yemen they can, under Sharia Law. Nothing to do with Islam. Sharia Law in Saudi Arabia should not be the representation of Islam.

It's true that Saudi Arabia has a particularly strict version of Islamic law and not all their laws are derived from the Quran, as you pointed out with the female driving ban. That doesn't mean that there aren't some objective aspects of Sharia law that are universally agreed upon and that would be considered deeply unethical from a Western point of view, such as:

* Punishment for adultery ranging from 100 lashes to stoning to death
* Amputations for theft
* Murderer can be forgiven by victim's family and walk free, which is how honour killings often go unpunished
* Homosexuality is illegal and punishable by imprisonment or death
* A man's share of inheritance is larger than a woman's (typically twice as much) even if they have the same degree of relation to the decedent

And so on. In many Islamic countries, I would be put in prison or even sentenced to death just for speaking out about my views regarding atheism and Islam. Saudi Arabia considers atheists terrorists by definition.

"Sharia law was deveoped within a clear historical context, that evolved in response to specific historical circumstances, and that it was privy to the same social, polititcal, and economic factors that have been infleunced all legal codes in all cultures and in every part of the world."

Yes, it made sense in the 7th century but I would hope we have made some progress since then.

Nonetheless, a lot of those laws are not contextualized and just looked at in face value. Ayaan may think she knows all about Islamic history and the Qur'an, but she only hears what she wants to hear because of her own biased misrepresented views of Islam.

Ayaan's perspective is just as valid as yours. She grew up in a devout Muslim family and lived in several countries with a large Muslim presence (Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, Kenya). If her view of Islam isn't quite as rosy as yours, perhaps it's because she suffered FGM as a little girl, had to flee abroad to escape an arranged marriage and has lived in fear of her life for many years now. When she lived in the Netherlands, she made a documentary called Submission about the treatment of women in Islam. The film director she made the documentary with, Theo van Gogh, was assassinated on the street by a Dutch Muslim and a knife was stuck in his chest holding a letter with a death threat to Ayaan.

That aside, "context" is the favourite excuse of any religious apologist, whether they're Christian, Jewish or Muslim. Somehow anyone critical of the plain text doesn't understand the context, unless the literal interpretation puts the religion in a more favourable light, then by all means ignore the context.

[youtube]PK7P7uZFf5o[/youtube]

Edit: oh dammit, I had dinner and came back to finish my post but now you've already responded. I"ll get back to you later ;)

I highly implore you whenever you don't have an undersanding of a verse in the quran, go to an islamic scholar for the understanding and interpreation. THEN you can conclude whatever your heart tells you. But please don't go to anti-muslim webites or scholars who claim to have knowlege of Islam....go to the Muslim scholars. Go to the Islamic historicans.

Back