Do You Like Morphine?

Do You Like Morphine

• Total voters
I love this song! I think it is a very haunting and hard hitting song. He is singing about how addictive the drug is. I think that he was somewhat singing about his own experience with the drug, but I'm not so certain about that either. It is a great song and I love it.

I like the discrepancy between the hard verses and the soft and seductive 'relax, this won't hurt you..' part. I think this transition is beautifully done in the song.
You can feel the danger that comes with the (misuse of the) drug. Michael really was an artist. A very underrated song.

Definitely yes! I've listened to it today and it's amazing. Great piece of work. Super production and man... His voice, out of this world. Deserved a place in history for sure. Maybe even invincible in a reworked version.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Morphine is a masterpiece in every form. Easily my top 10 favourite MJ songs of all time. Hopefully some day it will get the much needed recognition that it deserves. Michael was at his creative peak in 90s despite what the critics say.

Just listened to it again. A true masterpiece.

The slow bridges, the tempo changes, the song is dark and mysterious.

I really like the song a lot.

The mainstream media always refers to Michael's '80s output as the primordial reason why he's the greatest pop star of all time. Rightfully so but, as much as I adore said material, all that showed was that he was skilled with making great pop music.

However - and this is a point I will push forever - the '90s is when Michael proved himself as an all-around ARTIST, a title very few people are graced with. Anybody can be adept at making a certain genre, but it takes talent (not only by the singer themselves but also by the people they surround themselves with) to not only open themselves up to experimentation and exploration of other mediums, but also to pull it off.

Will You Be There
They Don't Care About Us
Stranger in Moscow
Earth Song
Childhood
Little Susie
Morphine
Is It Scary

These are not your average pop songs. These are artistic explorations and aesthetic triumphs. Michael's versatility, both vocally and musically, is something every musician on the face of the planet should be envious of.

Beautifully said and I agree with every word.

Yep. I like Mike's vocals.
Most of my fave songs by him are when his voice is raw and gritty.

One thing I love about this song (apart from the contrast between the main portion and the bridge) is the way it sounds. I'm not quite sure how to put it into words, but the music sounds not like music at all, and I mean that in a good way. I KNOW there are guitars and drums on the track, but I don't hear them; I've never heard instruments that sound like in my life.
It doesn't sound like a song, in the literal sense; it sounds like I'm stuck in someone's head while they're fighting something, you know?
This isn't really coherent, and I'm sorry, but I simply cannot explain what I hear when I listen to this masterpiece.

MJ should have really gone all the way with History and replaced Come Together with Morphine. I've always said that if he included some of the songs on BOTDF on HIStory it would have been my favorite MJ album, ever.

MJ should have really gone all the way with History and replaced Come Together with Morphine. I've always said that if he included some of the songs on BOTDF on HIStory it would have been my favorite MJ album, ever.

Exactly. Songs like Morphine, Is It Scary, On The Line, In The Back and Innocent Man should have been on HIStory. HIStory has some amazing tracks but some rather average ones too like Come Together, This Time Around, Smile etc. HIStory would easily be a much better album had he included those five aforementioned songs.

Exactly. Songs like Morphine, Is It Scary, On The Line, In The Back and Innocent Man should have been on HIStory. HIStory has some amazing tracks but some rather average ones too like Come Together, This Time Around, Smile etc. HIStory would easily be a much better album had he included those five aforementioned songs.

Have you heard Innocent Man?

Smile.....average?SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE??? Smile.....average?SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE??? Smile.....average?SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???
Smile.....average?SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE??? Smile.....average?SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE??? Smile.....average?SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???
Smile.....average?SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???

In what bloody planet could Smile have been considered average? It's possibly the most beautiful and poignant track Michael Jackson ever recorded.

Smile.....average?SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???SMILE.....AVERAGE???

In what bloody planet could Smile have been considered average? It's possibly the most beautiful and poignant track Michael Jackson ever recorded.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, I take your post to mean you like the song Smile? Is that right? Because that seems to be what you're getting at here. I mean correct me if I'm wrong. Don't want any misunderstandings.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, I take your post to mean you like the song Smile? Is that right? Because that seems to be what you're getting at here. I mean correct me if I'm wrong. Don't want any misunderstandings.

Yes, you're right. Sorry for any ambiguity.

Yes, you're right. Sorry for any ambiguity.
Perhaps you could have made it just s little bit more clear, my first thought was "I think at the very least he has a certain amount of entusiasim, even respect for this song Smile (you know, the song you were talking about, which in this case was the song Smile, that you spoke about, when you were speaking above, again, about Smile, it was). Easy to get your wires crossed or confused in such a post. Have to be very cearful, you'ed be surprised how often such a thing can happen. And I should know as its happened to me, believe it or not yes it has happened to me. And yes you like the song SMILE so I think we can all relaxe now that this issue has been sorted out. It's been rectified, been put right it has, I understand what you mean about the song Smile now. You like that song. :yes:

I understand the significance of Smile on the History album and I also understand that it was Michael's favourite song but it has never resonated with me. Perhaps saying that it was average was a wrong thing to say but it's a song I can live without as I hardly listen to it.

Back