The Michael Jackson Chart Watch

Billboard 1 april 2017
SPOTIFY REWIND
Spotify Rewind 70s

1 new
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Michael Jackson

With confirmed sales of 10,500?

That seems low to me. Unless Billboard have (yet again) excluded some sales due to a lower selling price?

If Billboard are doing this regularly, with album sold at lower prices, aren't their total sales going to be wrong?

Wasn't it 'Xscape', where HDD had it as the best selling album of the week on its release, but then Billboard took off a few thousand sales (for reasons still beyond me) that miraculously put a new album from a 'current' 'cool' group just in front of MJ at number 1?

I don't trust Billboard to give accurate information, when it comes to artists like MJ.

^ Yeah I remember that too. It looks like Billboard are screwing over Michael again.

Best selling albums of 2017 USA
Week 11

Rank -Estimated 2017 Sales -TITLE -Artist (Estimated Total Sales )

#91 -29,000 -THRILLER -Michael Jackson (6,759,000 )

Source: oldbloke

Not bad.

YouTube, March 24-30, 2017

image.jpg
Wow!
He's amongst some of the biggest current acts years after his passing.
He's truly the King of longevity.

Globally no other solo act was/is as big as Michael.
People in the middle of nowhere know who Michael is.:D

Last edited:
Michael was recognised as the "first artist to sell 100 million OUTSIDE of the USA".

He has ratified sales of over 100 million in the USA.

But he has 'only' sold 175 million?

Hmmmm...

Michael was recognised as the "first artist to sell 100 million OUTSIDE of the USA".

Hmmmm...

I have always wonder why SONY has never officially confirmed any certified units or real sales of the records (albums/singles/vhs/dvd)... if.... they promoted MJ and CBS Records in 1990 honoured Michael Jackson as 'Artist Of the Decade' for selling over 100 million albums in the '80s!

... and since 1990, the worldwide sale has increased significantly (Thtiller+, Dangerous, HIStory, BOTDF, Invincible, Number Ones, Essential, This Is It, Michael, Excape)

C5UlqceWQAAwFtG.jpg

Here is Michael Jackson recieving an award for sales of over 100 million albums worldwide on June 1st, 1997. Sony & Billboard stated in February of 1998, Michael's exact sales were 118 million albums worldwide.

MJ_100m_outside_USA_BB_24051997_p49.jpg

3aefb472cee23f212b3e5ba3ec9c4b98.jpg

and years after MJ passed away....

estate.jpg

0c52c919732327.562df56adc694.JPG

... and then... we have a few sources including wiki, or this is the only one, that states MJ has sold only 175+ million albums...

If you count all sales units - albums, singles, VHS, DVD/bluray, ringtones, downloads, etc. - then the figure of 175 million is a complete joke. Or are they only talking about album sales?

Certainly, in a lot of these categories - especially VHS and DVD sales - MJ is miles ahead of the others on the list, such as the Beatles and Elvis. Didn't 'This is it' sell about 10 million on its own!?

MJ's record company has to be the laziest or the stingiest company ever. So many Michael singles are undercertified and I'm sure some of his albums such as Dangerous and HIStory are eligible for an updated certification.

Is this legit?
I snatched it from Twitter.
chart data‏ @chartdata

US Top Album Sales: #138 @michaeljackson, Thriller 1,916 (33,745 in 2017).
8:30 AM · Apr 8, 2017
If it is legit does this mean that Thriller (the album) has sold 33,745 copies sans streaming in the US in 2017 already?
I say sans streaming because the Twitter account I got the stats from says this
music news in real time since June 18, 2016 (sales are US unless stated). new content every hour! *denotes streams added to pure sales
, and there is no * there.

Sorry if this question makes no sense.
I'm not the best at this chart stuff.:lol:

Last edited:
Is this legit?
I snatched it from Twitter.

If it is legit does this mean that Thriller (the album) has sold 33,745 copies sans streaming in the US in 2017 already?
I say sans streaming because the Twitter account I got the stats from says this
, and there is no * there.

Sorry if this question makes no sense.
I'm not the best at this chart stuff.:lol:

It looks to be legit. And yes, that's what it means.

Last edited:

Hmmmm...

I don't think anybody knows the sales figures actually are. It's certain that Thriller is the greatest seller. But nobody knows that exact number. That goes for all music sales before the download era.

But judging by the Worldwide acclaim of MJ, Elvis and Beatles. It's obvious that their sales are way higher then those overly modest figures. It's also much more difficult to get exact sales figures from many countries.

And some forget that people actually paid for music back then. I wonder how many have included "streaming" in the sales figures of recent artists? I know the UK charts include streaming data for singles so it could be that the same data is used to compile these totals.

That means an average of some 300,000 people are looking at Michael Jackson videos every hour on YouTube... that's really cool when you think about it!!!! (Well the figure is technically 363k views an hour, but I lowered it as some people would watch multiple videos...)

I swear Thriller alone gets 1M views every 7 to 8 days.
Not to bad for a song/short film released decades ago.:lol:

How come Numbers One is selling well again all of sudden? For the past few months, Essential was MJ's best selling greatest hits album

It probably is the price. I wonder if his other albums are priced lower. I'd like to see his later albums chart for a change to be honest.

The Best of Internet‏ @TheBestofMJJ · 14 Std.Vor 14 Stunden

Weekly US Top 200 Album Sales Chart (no streaming)

#78 The Essential Michael Jackson
#130 Thriller
#144 Bad
#181 NumberOnes
OUT OffThe Wall

Considering how many albums have been released over the past few decades and how many 'hot' artists have come and gone I always find it amazing how MJ's albums still chart in the Top200, not only in the USA but all around the world.

Considering how many albums have been released over the past few decades and how many 'hot' artists have come and gone I always find it amazing how MJ's albums still chart in the Top200, not only in the USA but all around the world.

Great music by an extremely talented music industry changing artist/entertainer will always be relevant.:)

Back