Billie Jean VS Thriller: which do you think is more iconic?

Which is more iconic?

• Billie Jean

Votes: 30 75.0%
  • Thriller

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
As far as video, its Thriller, the greatest video ever was, is, ever will be.....Billie Jean Motown 25 was the best anticipated stage performance that has aired on TV, Michael was already a superstar among his audience from the Jackson Five years up unto Off the Wall

Last edited:
More iconic SONG: Billie Jean by a long shot. BJ is probably one of, if not the most recognizable song in the world. Anybody, fan or non-fan, knows it at the moment the beat starts. It's a song that can be played a million times over and never gets old. Thriller as a song doesn't compare to Billie Jean.

Thriller gets a lot of air time during Halloween, but Billie Jean is played constantly on the radio and in public settings (clubs, bars, restaurants, amusement parks, etc) all year around. I honestly think TWYMMF and Smooth Criminal get more radio time than Thriller does. I hear BJ, SC, and TWYMMF the most. Thriller as a song alone just doesn't hold up compared to his other hits.

More iconic VIDEO: Well of course, the Thriller video is more iconic that BJ video. We all know why. haha.

The Billie Jean performance is also very iconic because of the moonwalk, the glove, the jacket and I always identify Michael with this performance more than the Thriller dance. The performance is much more memorable than the BJ video (which is an underrated video btw). Billie Jean is the quintessential Michael Jackson song, and it is his signature song. Overall, Billie Jean is more iconic in my opinion.

Billie Jean.

Thriller is the most iconic music short film and the dance routine is known by many. But it was released after Beat It, Billie Jean and Motown 25 ; in other words, Michael was already established as an iconic music artist, performer and superstar.

Billie Jean is one of the most Michael-esque song, if not the most Michael-esque song, ever released ; only Michael could have composed a song like this. A song so unique, so good and so memorable.
The Motown 25 performance contributed to reinforce its iconic status.

Although both are iconinc, it's Billie Jean without a doubt.

Agreed. - Hope the new animated movie can be iconic too and become a Halloween traditional thing too.
Yes Indeed! Let's hope this new animated special becomes the annual go-to special along with Thriller 3D and Ghosts. If the animation is as half as good as Disney/Pixar and the soundtrack features lots of MJ music and there's lots of little visual references -This Place Hotel- then it could be a great thing.

Both performances played an equal role in the Thriller LP becoming the greatest selling album of all time, can't have one without the other

Hm i'm not sure about the dance moves though. Do the crotch grab or the leg kick or the moonwalk and everyone will immediately recognize it.

Yes they will recognise those Billie Jean moves but do you think many people in the general public will know they're from Billie Jean? Although MJ himself is very famous for those specific moves, I don't think there's a connection to Billie Jean for most people. If you asked them to name the artist after showing them those moves they would say MJ every time, but if you told them to name the song I really don't think many would say Billie Jean.

Do the Thriller dance and people would be able to name the artist easily, and I think most people would recognise it's Thriller too.

That's why the Thriller dance is more iconic IMO.

Yes they will recognise those Billie Jean moves but do you think many people in the general public will know they're from Billie Jean? Although MJ himself is very famous for those specific moves, I don't think there's a connection to Billie Jean for most people. If you asked them to name the artist after showing them those moves they would say MJ every time, but if you told them to name the song I really don't think many would say Billie Jean.

Do the Thriller dance and people would be able to name the artist easily, and I think most people would recognise it's Thriller too.

That's why the Thriller dance is more iconic IMO.

I get what you mean but i just doubt that anyone wouldn't think of Billie Jean when he or she sees the Moonwalk. I think people associate Thriller more with the zombies and Halloween, but when people hear Billie Jean they think of MJ doing the moonwalk or the toe stand etc.

In all honesty, I think it's futile trying to argue which is more iconic. They're both extremely iconic, to the point it's just too hard to recognise much of a difference.

People see the white glove. Heaps of them think of MJ.
People see the Thriller jacket. Heaps of them think of MJ.
People see the moonwalk. Heaps of them think of MJ.
People see the zombie dance. Heaps of them think of MJ.
People see the crotch grab. Heaps of them think of MJ.

And so forth. Both songs feature iconography's that most people over a certain age identify with Michael Jackson.

Billie Jean, because of this dance and impact. Every time a nonfan thinks about him, the first this that comes in mind is MJ with Billie Jean outfit or the moonwalk etc. And we could also think that even Michael and the Record company gave more importance to it, using it as the second single rather than Thriller which was the seventh, making this song the first video of this album... Also, this song was basically what made this album stay so much time on the tranding before the short film of Thriller.

But you're post is talking about the MJ's iconic status, not the status of the songs. Yes if somebody saw the moonwalk they think of MJ, the same for the thriller dance, sequined glove, crotch grab etc.

BUT

In my opinion the original question is how iconic each song is.

People see the white glove. Heaps of them think of MJ. (But do they think Billie Jean? IMO no, not unless they're an MJ fan anyway)
People see the Thriller jacket. Heaps of them think of MJ. (But do they think Thriller? IMO YES, even if not an MJ fan)
People see the moonwalk. Heaps of them think of MJ. (But do they think Billie Jean? IMO no, not unless they're an MJ fan anyway)
People see the zombie dance. Heaps of them think of MJ. (But do they think Thriller? IMO YES, even if not an MJ fan)
People see the crotch grab. Heaps of them think of MJ. (But do they think Billie Jean? IMO no, not unless they're an MJ fan anyway)

I'm not sure that the visual aesthetic for BJ is as iconic as many MJ fans think. The song itself is incredibly famous, that goes without saying, and the costume, moves etc may have been more iconic 20 years ago, but times change. Thriller has maintained its relevance thanks to Halloween but BJ not so much. Anyway I'm starting to go around in circles.

I think that Thriller's video makes it more iconic to most, but when I think of MJ Billie Jean is the first thing that comes to my mind. So perhaps it could be connected to whether or not you are a big fan of his or not. It's different for everybody though, of course.

Was very difficult, as they were both milestones that were equally responsible for cementing Michael's status as a lengend. Thriller will always be embedded in our culture because of the short film and the Halloween tradition. With 'Billie Jean' it's everything from the song, performance, outfit... It's trademark Michael, and Motown 25 is my favourite moment!

Thriller because of its album of the same name, short film and Era (1982-86), at that time the album was already up to 38 million copies out

Everybody likes one each great song of his favorite artist but no one wants to buy Billie Jean alone, they want the whole story... Thriller album!

That was the dilemma of today lol :eek:

I did chose for 'Billie Jean" though as indeed it got Michael the 'legend' status cause of Motown 25 and lest not forget all those Magic Performances on every tour. "Billie Jean" is always the 'highlight' performance :cool:

Then, of course "Thriller" is bound to Halloween and is 'iconic' in its own way with the flash mobs and all but I do think "Billie Jean" with the 'famous' beat and the sparkling glove, socks and jacket makes it a 'trademark' and therefor 'iconic' :D

To me it's Thriller, maybe because usually it's the first image they show when talk about Michael in my country.

this is the best thing about 1983; it began with 'billie jean' and ended with 'thriller' :woohoo:

Back