Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

We can just hope that they have been scanning material during this 8 years. The HD live footage in Bad 25 and Off the Wall documentaries give me hope.

I'm sure they would have never done that if it wasn't for Spike

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: block; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Got to watch Thriller in IMAX 3D today...best thing ever! @ Los&#8230; <a href="https://t.co/sb3gxbr8nM">https://t.co/sb3gxbr8nM</a></p>&mdash; Keith (@pacewun) <a href="https://twitter.com/pacewun/status/885956414065324032">July 14, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

???
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

^must be a joke

Looks like he may have deleted his tweet.

that was weird

ChrisC;4200373 said:
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: block; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Got to watch Thriller in IMAX 3D today...best thing ever! @ Los&#8230; <a href="https://t.co/sb3gxbr8nM">https://t.co/sb3gxbr8nM</a></p>&#8212; Keith (@pacewun) <a href="https://twitter.com/pacewun/status/885956414065324032">July 14, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

???
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

ChrisC;4200384 said:
Looks like he may have deleted his tweet.

Hulkamaniac;4200385 said:
that was weird

C_bBcBxUwAAGaU-.jpg

flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

:lol:

ChrisC;4200373 said:
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: block; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: medium none;" frameborder="0"></iframe><twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg);"></twitterwidget>
Got to watch Thriller in IMAX 3D today...best thing ever! @ Los&#8230; https://t.co/sb3gxbr8nM
&#8212; Keith (@pacewun) July 14, 2017
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

???

Yep living in a fantasy world ......or just trying to cause drama<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" title="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

I really wish we had some time of teaser of some sort.. knowing that it will be at one of the summers festivals, my guess is we will only get screen grabs or teaser after the fact.

This might be a stupid question but is there any chance the making of Thriller was shot on film also? Or would it just be the same quality as the VHS, if they were to release it again?

This might be a stupid question but is there any chance the making of Thriller was shot on film also? Or would it just be the same quality as the VHS, if they were to release it again?

shot on film but edited on tape, and I doubt someone would re edit it in HD

Thanks for that so if they re-released the making of it would be in HD film quality?

Not likely. I'm sure they would just use the old version. I would be ok with that.

I don't understand that. If they have it on film why not release it in that quality instead of shitty vhs quality?

I don't understand that. If they have it on film why not release it in that quality instead of shitty vhs quality?

I don't know the deal with Making of Thriller, but assuming it was edited on tape (which was often done back there to keep costs done, as I've read) then it actually would be around DVD quality, not VHS quality.

So if they want to get the documentary in HD quality, assuming they have the negatives available, they would have to re-scan all the footage into a digital format. From there, they can use EDL's (Edit Decision List) to figure out which shots/takes they need, and reassemble the film using the newly scanned files. They've been doing that process for a number of TV shows that were shot on film, but later edited on tape - such as The X Files, Friends, That 70s Show, among others.

Personally, going off what he's told us and what is likely, I think John Landis is going to unveil a new Thriller documentary in the next few months. This will probably showcase new BTS footage, as well as the alternative ending he's gone on about, finishing with the new 3D version (think how Man in the Mirror finished Bad 25).

If this is correct, this means the Estate should have gone back and scanned the BTS footage of Thriller we see in The Making of Thriller (similar to how the BTS footage of Bad was scanned for Bad 25). A lot of the footage we saw in The Making of Thriller should be in this new documentary.

As for the old documentary, I could see it being an extra on the Blu-ray/DVD release. Not sure what quality, but it's possible the Estate have chosen to focus their attention and finances on the newer documentary and thus we'll only get a version of TMoT at DVD quality, which wouldn't be unusual... but who knows.

None of this is in stone, this is just me going off what Landis has hinted at, and me applying what tends to happen in these cases.

But do we actually know it was edited on tape? IMDb page doesn't say much. Would be cool to see the making of in HD but yeah I'm pretty sure it will be the old version.

But do we actually know it was edited on tape? IMDb page doesn't say much. Would be cool to see the making of in HD but yeah I'm pretty sure it will be the old version.

I don't know in all honesty. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

you do know that a Laserdisc was released too right? the VHS tape is not the master tape. they could release a DVD and it would look much better if they used the master tape for it.

yes it was edited on tape just like most MJ videos that were shot on film :) that's why is not so simple to release those videos in Blu ray.

Lets just not get upset if the making of has nothing to do with this project or the release after it is given to us.. I know we all want footage in the best quality etc. but lets let ourselves be happy with a project for what it is.. hopefully something cool!

I bet they wouldn't include the original Making Of on any blu-ray release. It's not their style at all. Though I too would love it if they did.

Thread cleaned. Thanks for using the report button guys, keep doing so. :) carry on...

The Toronto Film Festival Press Conference is today, so I doubt it would be announced without a heads up from the estate. Is there another film festival this year?

https://www.tiff.net/tiff/

Last edited:

The Toronto Film Festival Press Conference is today, so I doubt it would be announced without a heads up from the estate. Is there another film festival this year?

https://www.tiff.net/tiff/

Well are we sure they will announce the full roster of films today? I was under the impression that wouldn't be until August 22nd?

The next major film festival on the calendar would be London in early to mid October. But I discounted that as a possibility as it wouldn't be "this summer" as per John's original statement. UNLESS of course it's been delayed haha. I'm still banking on Toronto so long as there's been no change of plans since John spoke on BBC radio.

However Thriller in IMAX on the BFI screen in London would be a treat - it's one of the five largest IMAX screens currenty operating in the world, along with New York, Hyderabad, Glasgow and Riccione. Sydney was the world's largest prior to it's closure.

They are announcing films.

So far the only MJ-related one is Sheikh Jackson.

They are announcing films.

So far the only MJ-related one is Sheikh Jackson.

Can we please start calling it 'Sheikh Your Body (down to the Ground)' ?

No mention of Thriller by the looks of things. However the website seems to suggest this is only 'the first wave' of films for the festival and they said during the press conference that there will be more films announced over summer.

Okay so now I'm wondering about Venice. It runs August 30th to September 9th. It fits with dates but I hadn't considered it as didn't think it was big enough - I was wrong it's considered one of the 'Big Three'. However John Landis IS attending it and is on the jury. So maybe Venice? The line-up for that festival will be announed Thursday morning.

Last edited:

Sounds promising that Landis is actually going to be there.

Back