RS-IV:Quincy-jones-on-the-making-of-michael-jacksons-bad-

SmoothMJ;4205075 said:
And it's "facts" that Quincy has done nothing of note, without Michael, since. Whereas it's "facts" that Michael did without him.

okay lets see the record for what it is

let's see, in 1990, he formed Qwest entertainment, a venture that entailed producing a number of popular syndicated and network TV shows including The Fresh Prince of Bel Air starring Will Smith, In The House starring L.L. Cool J, and MAD TV that aired on the fox network for a number of years....over ten years....Fresh Prince of Bel Air was one of the most watched sitcoms on TV during its time.........not to mention he produced several musical scores for longstanding TV drama/crime shows such as "In The Heat of the Night" starring Carroll O'Connor and Howard Rollins, one of the best shows on TV

-Founded Vibe Magazine in the early 90s, that became one of the best, if not the best urban music/entertainment publications on circulation and ran for close to 15 years.......matter of fact, Vibe was the first major music publication that interviewed Rodney Jerkins during the spring of 1999 as he and Michael began working on the album that became Invincible.....that was an exclusive interview that Vibe Magazine was able to command, a magazine founded by Quincy Jones....

Under the Qwest music label, and I actually forgot about this, Qwest music released movie soundtracks for "Boyz In The Hood", "Malcolm X", and "Serafina"

There was also a movie released that chronicled Quincy's life story and highlighted the evolution of black musical tradition in the past 100 years "Listen Up, the life of Quincy Jones"

That inaugural celebration gala that Michael Jackson performed for newly elected president Bill Clinton, Quincy Jones produced that event

-in 1995, he released Q's Jook Joint that featured artists from the realm of all the musical genres that rose to prominence during the 20th century, Bono, Brandy, Ray Charles, Phil Collins, Coolio, Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds, Gloria Estefan, Rachelle Ferrell, Aaron Hall, Herbie Hancock, Heavy D., Ron Isley, Chaka Khan, R. Kelly, Queen Latifah, Tone Loc, the Luniz, Brian McKnight, Melle Mel, Shaquille O’Neal, Joshua Redman, the Broadway musical troupe Stomp, SWV, Take 6, Tamia, Toots Thielemans, Mervyn Warren, Barry White, Warren Wiebe, Charlie Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Stevie Wonder, Mr. X, and Yo-Yo

the following year, he was the executive producer for the Academy Awards

and his activity and influence extends beyond the music/entertainment field...

In 1999, Jones, Bono, and Bob Geldof met with Pope John Paul II as a part of the Jubilee 2000 delegation to end third world debt. The delegation’s visit resulted in $27 billion being distributed to third world debt relief for Bolivia, Mozambique, and the Ivory Coast. This man led an effort that resulted in monetary relief for those where the United Nations called off the debt that was crippling those countries mentioned.

Tand that classic movie "Austin Powers" that featured that catchy background music throughout, or I should say the main soundtrack for the movie......that was the musical piece "Soul Bossa Nova"....that song was recorded and produced by Quincy Jones in the early 60s......and I know allot of people don't know that one.....

and as late as 2016, Quincy co-produced the opening ceremony of the African American Smithsonian Museum in Washington D.C.

He's the greatest musical producer of the past 65 years

See, I'm not a fan who tries to down one to build up the other.......to this day, I say both men brought the best out of each other when they did work together, that's who history should remember their collaboration but I doubt it's going to happen in today's misled interpretation of those historic years together....

I'm leaving this subject alone...

Re: New Jack Swing

what I don't get, but I got, is how Quincy a man who was in his 50s then, and a producer to boot, is being compared to the activity of artists who the majority of the time gets more publicity......
The Jacksons (2300 Jackson Street), Mike (Dangerous), Randy (Randy & The Gypsys), & Jermaine (You Said) all were albums with New Jack Swing on them. You could say Janet's Rhythm Nation & Janet albums had some New Jack as well and even LaToya's You're Gonna Get Rocked single was too. The question was why did Mike choose not to work with Quincy after Bad. Quincy was not the guy to go to for NJS. Producers such as Teddy Riley, Full Force, Jam & Lewis, Al B. Sure! & Kyle West, and L.A. & Babyface were. How many NJS records did Quincy produce? Did Bobby Brown use Quincy? Quincy discovered Al B. Sure! but did not actually work on his albums. Quincy's protege James Ingram even went to the New Jack Swing producers Teddy Riley & Levert

Re: George Martin

Prolific, meaning, in those 3 albums MIchael and Quincy collaborated on together, their music sold more album copies than any other collaboration in music history......that's what I mean by prolific...those are undisputed facts

Prolific has nothing to do with sales, but the actual artistic output itself and the quantity of it produced.

BTTATnl.png

If we are going to copy and paste from wiki BBD, I could blow that load of nonsense right out of the water with what Michael achieved after Quincy. Without having to include frivolous items where Michael's name is merely linked to a project.

How many worldwide multi million selling singles and albums did Quincy have after Michael? That should make it easier for you. Now compare them with Michael's, post Quincy, multi million selling singles and albums.

No contest.

Quincy always has a tendency to express how he was such a legend before even meeting Michael..

If we are going to copy and paste from wiki BBD, I could blow that load of nonsense right out of the water with what Michael achieved after Quincy. Without having to include frivolous items where Michael's name is merely linked to a project.

How many worldwide multi million selling singles and albums did Quincy have after Michael? That should make it easier for you. Now compare them with Michael's, post Quincy, multi million selling singles and albums.

No contest.

First mistake was that you assumed I pulled this info from Wiki

Its sad what all this has come down to

I can say I saw it when it all went down when the conversation had a whole different vibe and all this hatred and ill will and division did not take place, it was all awesome.

Ill respond to all this later

It shouldn't even be about blowing out of the water

Non of that division took place then and that's fact, there was harmony

When Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones name were mentioned in the same sentence, it was always favorable and people and fans then had joyous response what they were accomplishing together

All that is gone now

Last edited:
Re: New Jack Swing

The Jacksons (2300 Jackson Street), Mike (Dangerous), Randy (Randy & The Gypsys), & Jermaine (You Said) all were albums with New Jack Swing on them. You could say Janet's Rhythm Nation & Janet albums had some New Jack as well and even LaToya's You're Gonna Get Rocked single was too. The question was why did Mike choose not to work with Quincy after Bad. Quincy was not the guy to go to for NJS. Producers such as Teddy Riley, Full Force, Jam & Lewis, Al B. Sure! & Kyle West, and L.A. & Babyface were. How many NJS records did Quincy produce? Did Bobby Brown use Quincy? Quincy discovered Al B. Sure! but did not actually work on his albums. Quincy's protege James Ingram even went to the New Jack Swing producers Teddy Riley & Levert

I don't think anyone has ever said that Quincy was the originator/orchestrator of new jack swing, I've never heard anyone say that, past, present, or for years to come......but even in all of that, as great as TEddy Riley was, and he was great, have the first two albums of his original band GUY to this very day, Teddy Riley was successful for about a 10 year period as the New Jack formula became capsulized in that duration of time from 1986-1996, and really its apex from 1987-1991....great accomplishment in of itself, but the r&b/hip hop hybrid genre eventually gave way to hip-hop dominating the r&b charts by the end of the 90s.........10 years is nothing to sneeze at in the ultra competitive music/entertainment industry..........the reason why New Jack Swing was in such high demand other than the fact that it did sound good, is that full fledge r&b was already being phased out as early as 1988.....

Now take that 10 years and multiply it times 6 and that's 60 years, and that's how long Quincy Jones career has lasted since the mid 1950s where he was at center of all of it, be-bop, jazz, soul, pop way before black artists were denied the opportunity to gain a mass commercial audience....it wasn't that they didn't have the talent to do it, it was because they were denied that opportunity....

and as great as TEddy Riley was, whenever a media outlet wants to conduct an interview with someone of the evolution of music throughout the second half of the 20th century and what direction its headed today, the person most sought after to provide insight into the subject is Quincy Jones.....there's no need for me to make this up, I'm going by the facts and how things play out over time.......

Quincy was producing pop artists back in the 1960s such as Lesley Gore, producing her classic song "It's My Party"......that's a classic to this very day...that song reached #1 on the pop charts and the r&b charts......

and let's say that Q had never ever produced another record after working with Michael Jackson, he still would have had a 30 year plus run of composing, recording, and producing music that no other record producer has ever achieved......we can go down the line.......Phil Spector had about a 10 year run during his apex.....George Martin produced the Beatles, but that group disbanded after 6 years after its introduction to America......The Corporation at Motown had a 3-4 year run of cranking out hits......James Carmichael was an outstanding producer who crafted those brilliant albums of LIonel Richie during the early 80s.....Rodney Jerkins had a good run of production and even he when working with Michael while producing his last studio album, even he said he was trying to recapture the sound Quincy Jones created while producing Off The Wall.....he said that on a number of occasions....and referred to it in that OTW documentary by Spike Lee that aired last year......but Q has 60 years in this field and it's not by accident.......

now was Michael Jackson the best artist he ever worked with.........no doubt about it...not even a question.....

but Quincy is the best producer Michael ever worked with, no doubt about that one either

and both men brought out the absolute best in each other and that's what it's all about.....

Last edited:
Back