Keeping faith in the Estate for new releases.

The short version of my opinion: the Estate doesn't deserve the level of hate they get.

I don't really have an opinion if the songs are real or not but I don't think they would purposely put fake songs on the album. I'm sure they thought they were real.

This x 100. The worst thing I can say about the executors is that they are ignorant toward the people that matter.

I refuse to believe for one second that Branca and McClain knew beyond a reasonable doubt that the tracks were fraudulent and still signed off to put them out there. Something tells me that they (or, if the stories are accurate, Branca) were blinded by the idea of having twelve finished songs from 2007, i.e. an era where, according to legend, very few usable tracks remain. Rather than go with their gut (or their ears), they pushed forward and threw them on the album.

Yes, the family pushed for the songs to be trashed. Yes, several collaborators openly expressed their views that the songs were fake. Yes, there were rumors that McClain was against the songs from the beginning (and, if true, he had the ability to block the songs from being published and should have done so). No one is denying that the Estate screwed up. But I won't call them the spawns of Satan for doing so (as many have).

And as far as removing the tracks from public consumption, of COURSE they won't. Firstly, they're in the middle of a fraud trial, and pulling the album from retail stores would be a clear admission of guilt. Secondly, the only people who even talk about this scandal are the hardcore fans; the general public doesn't bat an eye at the Cascio tracks anymore. If Sony Music and the Estate came forward and admitted that they were cutting the three tracks from the album, that would cause a firestorm like no other, and could possibly open up the door for MORE lawsuits. Right now, the Estate is in a lose-lose situation that they put themselves in.

The whole fraud deal could be wrapped up very simply, if Eddie Cascio would just provide evidence of the songs' authenticity. He was the one who supposedly worked on them with Michael, and his claim of erasing them to save hard-drive space is either an incredibly stupid yet true decision...or a very lazy lie. Even if he's being honest and did erase the masters, there would have to be signed papers or something that verifies Michael being behind them...so give those papers to the court.

Either way, I still like the songs, and they sound like something Michael would record in my opinion. Whether he did is known only to him, God, and Eddie Cascio.

I also feel the same way. Especially after reading the listing of the songs that is new album that will be later this month. Which I am not going to be getting since I have all the songs that are on it. And I have heard the songs countless times before. As one of Michael's somewhat older fans. I've been a fan of his since the early to mid 80s. I am 37 years old now. So I am not getting any younger about wanting to hear the never before heard MJ songs. The one MJ book I have is the new and revised version of For The Record. It lists of all the songs Michael had recorded and stuff like that. And there is just so many songs that Michael had recorded over the years that us fans has yet to hear. Somewhere In Time and Tragedy Of A Cheerleader is 2 MJ songs I have been waiting so long to hear now. And both of those songs were recorded. And it has gotten to a point that I am never going to get to those 2 songs. As well as all the others that he had recorded over the years. I just wish the estate would read that book. So they can only released MJ albums that only has songs that us fans has never heard before. And not albums with songs that us fans has heard countless of times before.

Can you please tell me more about that For The Record book? I would love to buy it. Thanks.

It's the other way around: the lawsuit will remain ongoing as long as they are not doing anything about it.

doing anything would in a legal view be seen as a admission of guilt which would effect any lawsuit. Why would they remove any songs if they believed them to be legit? They wouldnt because it would be used against them.

Can you please tell me more about that For The Record book? I would love to buy it. Thanks.

For The Record is just a listings book of all the songs that Michael did over the years. Including ones that he did with his brothers. And it even mentions stories of how those songs came to be. I got my book from the shopping site Amazon.com a good few years or so ago. But I don't know if they still have that book or not.

Could the Estate not just say that their removing the Cascio tracks from the album due to concerns about their true origin and authenticity, that they fully believed at the time of creating the album that the tracks were legitimate, but in hindsight a number of concerns came to light aswell as causing division among the fans, and that it is within the best interest of everyone involved, the record label, the fans and most importantly preserving the legacy and dignity of Michael Jackson. We apologise for any inconvenience or confussion caused and as a gesture of goodwill fans can return their copies to record stores in exchange for an updated version of Michael with 5 brand new unheard Michael Jackson tracks that are fully authenticated and certified by Sony and the estate of Michael Jackson.

Perhaps they would lose money on it, but they would make it back long term by rebuilding their trust with fans.

They are being sued for the "fake" songs. They wont do anything like that as it would be used against them in court.

Will be very damaging to Michael's legacy.

Agreed. Sadly, they're releasing it on 3D :(
I can think of 50 other concerts to release instead of Munich 97

Are we talking about DWT Munich '92 or HWT '97? (I initially thought the OP was talking about '92) Why would either be damaging to his legacy?
I know he mimed/lip synched a lot in HWT, but that's no secret. Is there something else?

Are we talking about DWT Munich '92 or HWT '97? (I initially thought the OP was talking about '92) Why would either be damaging to his legacy?
I know he mimed/lip synched a lot in HWT, but that's no secret. Is there something else?

no, but that's enough for people to think that MJ can not sing. Just take a look at the comments at the Munich show on YT...

Give a listen to The Jacksons LIVE album from '81. The music and the vocals are on point. And if you see any video from that era you'll see that the dance is perfect too and way better than on the HWT. The History Tour does not show MJ as the true amazing performer he was.

doing anything would in a legal view be seen as a admission of guilt which would effect any lawsuit. Why would they remove any songs if they believed them to be legit? They wouldnt because it would be used against them.

No, removing the songs (which they agree are probably fake) is the way to settle this lawsuit, which was their goal from the start. And there likely won't be others because of the statute of limitations.

Agreed. Sadly, they're releasing it on 3D :(
I can think of 50 other concerts to release instead of Munich 97

Are they still planning to release it, or has it been scrapped because of fan complaints? We haven't heard any updates in a while. And if it were up to me, nothing from the HIStory Tour would get released. By Michael Jackson standards the HIStory Tour is just embarassing. And the tour is all over Youtube, so it's not exactly rare

Are they still planning to release it, or has it been scrapped because of fan complaints? We haven't heard any updates in a while. And if it were up to me, nothing from the HIStory Tour would get released. By Michael Jackson standards the HIStory Tour is just embarassing. And the tour is all over Youtube, so it's not exactly rare

Branca talked about it just recently. From Thriller 3D thread:

I was at the screening in Toronto. All I can say is that I really hope that they release it. Thriller 3D is unbelievably good on the big scream with the great sound. John Landis was there as well as Branca and the director of the Making of Thriller. Branca was actually asked if they are going to release Thriller 3D. I was seating directly behind the row reserved for Branca and other guests and saw clearly that they motioned to him not to answer. He dodged the questions. He was also asked about Dangerous 25 and joked that it is a bit too late, may be Dangerous 30 some day. He was asked if the Estate plans to restore (probably in 3D) other material. He mentioned "German concert" which I guess in Munich and, to my delight, Ghosts.
To summarize, I think this is absolutely great that the Thriller is restored to the former glory. As to the 3D, there were moments where I though it was too much, but overall it looked practically perfect. I do hope that they release it.
And sorry for my quite broken English.

What a great idea! Get MJ's worst tour to represent him a live performer to people. I'm sure everyone will be blown away by the obvious lip syncing.

Last edited:
For The Record is just a listings book of all the songs that Michael did over the years. Including ones that he did with his brothers. And it even mentions stories of how those songs came to be. I got my book from the shopping site Amazon.com a good few years or so ago. But I don't know if they still have that book or not.

Thank you :)

the author reworked the book into a new series called "The Maestro" volumes 1 and 2 :)

no, but that's enough for people to think that MJ can not sing. Just take a look at the comments at the Munich show on YT...

Give a listen to The Jacksons LIVE album from '81. The music and the vocals are on point. And if you see any video from that era you'll see that the dance is perfect too and way better than on the HWT. The History Tour does not show MJ as the true amazing performer he was.

Was there something going on that caused the HWT to not be up to MJ standards? He was older of course, perhaps that had a lot to do with it? Michael always seemed to give everything he had while performing.

Was there something going on that caused the HWT to not be up to MJ standards? He was older of course, perhaps that had a lot to do with it? Michael always seemed to give everything he had while performing.

okay, point one is that 90% of the show is playback. point two, his voice on the songs he actually sung is not so good compared to his preview tours. Did he gave everything he had during the tour? Yes. I'm 100% sure. Because his voice was just terrible I must admit, so playback was the only way to go. But Billie Jean and Beat It with playback seriously? nope nobody wants that to be released.

The world needs to see this in HD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwfjP9ILig
instead of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLEmZlExM8Q - in HD

now you tell me, what do you think is so good about the History tour?

okay, point one is that 90% of the show is playback. point two, his voice on the songs he actually sung is not so good compared to his preview tours. Did he gave everything he had during the tour? Yes. I'm 100% sure. Because his voice was just terrible I must admit, so playback was the only way to go. But Billie Jean and Beat It with playback seriously? nope nobody wants that to be released.

The world needs to see this in HD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwfjP9ILig
instead of this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLEmZlExM8Q - in HD

now you tell me, what do you think is so good about the History tour?

Gold pants??!!!! :blush: :love:. :rofl:

I completely understand your points. I guess I just wonder "why". What was happening that made his voice not quite there? He's sure dancing hard as ever it seems. Again, I think getting older, the years of dancing and singing might have been catching up to him a bit. He was notorious for pushing himself to the brink, and often beyond.

Thank you for your insights.

It was well known at the time he was having problems with his voice/throat. Prob wasnt helped by his lung issues

Whatever the reason, it's clear that the History tour is not representative of Michael Jackson as a performing artist. His voice is not up to par, his lip-synching is atrocious, and his dancing (save for a few moments) seems phoned in. He does not perform half as well as he did for Dangerous, and not nearly a fourth as well as for Bad.

I truly believe History should be left in the vaults. Pick a better era.

I would think dangerous is an all round good middle ground. Depending on what is available its not difficult to look for and pick one of the better shows rather than taking the easy route even if the easy route is a show of poor quality. Its a lazy and easy option to pick a show like munich 97.then again pick dangerous and you get bucharest going by the above logic

Branca mentioning putting HIStory tour in theaters during the Bad25 interviews caused all sorts of outrage and hundreds of posts here on MJJC alone.
The only people who are for it are the ones who actually attended, watched it up close and personal and were too excited to notice lip syncing.
Michael's fighting lupus the whole time which caused the lung and voice issues. It's not the show to showcase Michael's real talent.
Surely a lot of this feedback got back to Branca.

Go read the press release, its states that it's a collection of his "all-time most electrifying and danceable tracks". Outside of the chorus, Is It Scary isn't really danceable and thus wasn't included. Look at the other tracks and they're easy to dance to :)

Blasphemy! :D:D

[youtube]a_z6JfnYfQs[/youtube]

[youtube]4eEFP6z5Kf4[/youtube]

What a great idea! Get MJ's worst tour to represent him a live performer to people. I'm sure everyone will be blown away by the obvious lip syncing.

I swear I don't understand some of the estate's decisions. Didn't they also mention that they were also considering releasing The last Dangerous concert from Mexico City.. Why in the world would you want to release these concerts when there are much better concerts to choose from?

So It's between a concert where he lipsynched 80% of the show and sounds bad or a concert where he cried and collapased back stage and was mentally deteriorating from false child molestation accusations. Great choices.

I can't really think about enjoying a DWT concert after the summer of '93 to be honest. Watching him on stage, knowing what he was going through, takes away from the enjoyment for me. JMHO

Blasphemy! :D:D

Still have the same opinion :tongue:

The issue with Is It Scary is that the verses are quite slow and they don't offer much variance musically. So while it's great for pop n locking and maybe the odd other mood, that gets boring and repetitive after a bit.

As a song I think it's a solid piece, but for dancing? Nah. If they want to focus on having something you can dance to, which they do, then they made the right decision keeping it off the album.

I swear I don't understand some of the estate's decisions. Didn't they also mention that they were also considering releasing The last Dangerous concert from Mexico City.. Why in the world would you want to release these concerts when there are much better concerts to choose from?

So It's between a concert where he lipsynched 80% of the show and sounds bad or a concert where he cried and collapased back stage and was mentally deteriorating from false child molestation accusations. Great choices.

That's our great MJ Estate

Back