History Tour in Theatres?!

curious, so is it a general thought that Michael should have canceled the History tour since he could not sing much live? cuz that too would have disappointed thousands upon thousands of fans - especially after his previous tours being cut short..

And to think, if he did not keep on with the tour, how bad would his financial issues really have been without that income if he already started to deal with financial issues..

Michael gave all of himself to the stage, so much so - he's not here with us.. It makes me so sad that it was under the circumstances because he specifically said he did not want to perform himself to death the way James Brown did..

I'm one of few HIStory Tour fans for several reasons but I think MJs movement took on another level and new style. That sort of innovation is to me what kept MJ on top of the entertainment game.. those moves in Stranger in Moscow and the advancement of the Billie Jean robotics make for amazing viewing.

dam2040;4223525 said:
I'm one of few HIStory Tour fans for several reasons but I think MJs movement took on another level and new style. That sort of innovation is to me what kept MJ on top of the entertainment game.. those moves in Stranger in Moscow and the advancement of the Billie Jean robotics make for amazing viewing.

I agree the dancing is amazing. He really perfected many moves. BUT - my problem is that it could actually have been any good dancer miming to a MJ song…
- That's a little exaggerated of course, but you get my point.

What I find truely amazing about BAD - and to some degree Dangerous tour - is the singing and dancing.
I happend to enjoy MJ's live vocals even more than the dancing. - But combined it's magic. - And that magic is missing in 98 % of the History Tour.

I still watch History concerts, but I enjoy BAD concert or Dangerous more I must admit.

Personally, love the HIStory tour, yeah the Bad and Dangerous tours are better but the HIStory one is also amazing and his dancing is extraordinary too.

I agree.

Personally, love the HIStory tour, yeah the Bad and Dangerous tours are better but the HIStory one is also amazing and his dancing is extraordinary too.

Exactly. I would never dismiss the HIStory tour concerts....I have seen so many different ones and I love them all.

I do want to see a lot more BAD and Dangerous concerts, of course....but fans always want more. Lol.

It's not entitled to expect a singer to sing, particularly when they advertise their show as being live and then ask for your hard earned cash.

That's a fair point; however, I do find it very interesting, sometimes, to see just what fans are and are not willing to spend their cash on.
Some people's priorities can be a little messed up, in my opinion.

In July 2009, at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, Stevie Wonder performed a tribute to Michael, where he famously said: "Michael knows that I'm here...I love you/By playing and buying your music to show your family we mean it from the bottom of our hearts/ Sure we mean it from the bottom of our hearts."

Afterwards, he told the audience: "Don't get hung up on the negativity of whatever is being said. Keep him alive by celebrating his music and his legacy. If y'all want to do something for Michael, just buy the man's music."

To me, that includes supporting his concert tours and enjoying official releases of concerts, whether it be via theatres, DVD/Blu Ray, Netflix, etc. We are probably all talking about something that isn't going to happen, though.....we'll just have to wait and see.

And to think, if he did not keep on with the tour, how bad would his financial issues really have been without that income if he already started to deal with financial issues..

Did the HIStory tour pull a significant profit? I remember someone who was in charge of finance stuff at the Dangerous concerts saying that due to the enormous money spent on the tour they ran at a loss. Michael could have scaled back his spending of course in later years although that's not the point.

curious, so is it a general thought that Michael should have canceled the History tour since he could not sing much live? cuz that too would have disappointed thousands upon thousands of fans - especially after his previous tours being cut short..

No. No one has suggested that. But perhaps Michael could have looked at not doing the tour at all from the outset? Michael was clearly not a fan of the big tours and intended for Bad to be his last. Perhaps Michael could have done less dates so he wasn't spreading himself so thin? Perhaps Michael could have done a new type of show that was less demanding from a cardio aspect to allow for more actual singing? There are so many different ways of looking at it, to just leap towards the drastic cancelling, of an already announced tour, as the only other option is a little extreme.

If they do this, it will probably happen with an anniversary release (25th anniversary) in 2020. I can live with a Munich release (IF it adds something new like rehearsal footage or unreleased audio or New Doc etc). As long as it's not just another rip of Munich with a re packaged album...

As for cinema release...smh terrible idea IMO for several reasons.
Let the people who want to buy Munich enjoy it on Bluray.
The only concert film I want to see in cinema is Bad tour. Seeing HD APOM in cinema had everyone speechless during B25.

I'm worried that people would say that maybe Michael wasn't that good if they released HIStory Tour in cinemas. Only WBSS and J5 Medley are live. Reviews wouldn't be nice to read. I would be ok with BD/DVD release but I would pick any other tour for cinema release.
Why are you worried? You KNOW he was that good, so why does it matter what others think? So what if people comment on the playback thing, saying for example that all he did was playback? it's not gonna get to me because I know the truth, and they're the ignorant ones. And if it gets to you, then it's your duty to educate those people :mat:

The fact that the HIStory tour is playback doesn't take anything away from him as a singer. Because on the albums he's also a great singer :unsure:
He's been proving to the world what a great singer he is since the age of 5, and I think most people would agree that he IS a great singer. I mean, it's one of the things he's known for. A HIStory tour concert release is not gonna change or ruin that :unsure:

I agree.

Exactly. I would never dismiss the HIStory tour concerts....I have seen so many different ones and I love them all.

I do want to see a lot more BAD and Dangerous concerts, of course....but fans always want more. Lol.

"I have seen so many different ones and I love them all"

See that's the point. We already have TOO MUCH HWT. In this case, it's you that want more. We need another Bad tour in decent quality or something just as good, a TRIUMPH TOUR for example.

"I have seen so many different ones and I love them all"

See that's the point. We already have TOO MUCH HWT. In this case, it's you that want more. We need another Bad tour in decent quality or something just as good, a TRIUMPH TOUR for example.

Firstly it's not just me and I was referring to wanting an official release, rather than just making do with bootleg or amateur content on youtube/DVD.

Secondly, the thread is about HIStory tour, not BAD, Dangerous or Triumph. I'm just saying that it isn't fair to discount an entire part of Michael's performance life. We need to have the complete package....official concerts from each of the tours....in my opinion.

Lastly, there needs to be enough decent footage to work with for an officially released project and it's not a given that it is available and/or usable; from the Triumph Tour at least..... which was 37 years ago and also only 44 shows, in one country.

If they didn't put Bad Tour in theaters, they're not doing History.
And good. I don't want that tour to be the showcase of him. Not a good representation of him as a live performer, especially for a theatrical release.
But a dvd/blu ray needs to come at some point.

I am dying to know which HIStory concert has John Branca in mind for a potential official release.

Relatively speaking, the 1996 first leg offers better HIStory concerts for a release. MJ was in high spirits during that leg & more energetic on stage. His dancing was also impeccable.

Even local tabloid newspapers praised his dancing during those earlier HIStory shows (as, for example, did the Polish tabloid Super Express newspaper when he performed in Warsaw).

During the 1997 second leg, MJ was gradually becoming listless on stage but also more engrossed in his new role as a father. Also, during that second leg he had some health issues that clearly affected his then performances (such as, his acute stomach problems that plagued him during the shows in Vienna & Munich in July).

Personally, I hope the Estate to pick a HIStory concert from the 1996 first leg for a theatrical or directly to BluRay/DVD release.

Well they've already ruled out a theatrical release. Sure, that may change, but that's all we have for now.

I really do hope the HIStory tour gets some kind of release. I know it's probably been shown on TV a bunch of times in Europe. I don't remember it even being shown on TV in the USA.

I am dying to know which HIStory concert has John Branca in mind for a potential official release.

Relatively speaking, the 1996 first leg offers better HIStory concerts for a release. MJ was in high spirits during that leg & more energetic on stage. His dancing was also impeccable.

Even local tabloid newspapers praised his dancing during those earlier HIStory shows (as, for example, did the Polish tabloid Super Express newspaper when he performed in Warsaw).

During the 1997 second leg, MJ was gradually becoming listless on stage but also more engrossed in his new role as a father. Also, during that second leg he had some health issues that clearly affected his then performances (such as, his acute stomach problems that plagued him during the shows in Vienna & Munich in July).

Personally, I hope the Estate to pick a HIStory concert from the 1996 first leg for a theatrical or directly to BluRay/DVD release.
He said the German concert so Munich is very likely. The only reason why they would release it and make it 3D is HD. I don't think they would release non HD HIStory Tour concert.

Last edited:
Even though I'm not the biggest fan of the tour itself, I know there are amazing moments. I mean it's the greatest entertainer of all time on stage for heaven's sake. Stranger In Moscow comes to mind as an amazing moment

My two biggest problems with the estate releasing this tour in cinemas are,
It will definitely negatively impact his legacy as the greatest live performer in history, spin it anyway you like, but he did lip-sync the majority of the show
(I know Mike was unwell vocally through the tour but I doubt the public will cut him the same slack)

Secondly, it's over saturated. If you go on YouTube and type in "Michael Jackson live" or Michael Jackson concert" I guarantee a number of HIStory Tour shows will dominate the first page, therefore we don't need it. So many shows were broadcast in that many countries, it's nothing new.
It would benefit Michael's legacy far more to show him at his peak as a live performer, probably between 1981-1992 (preferably Bad Tour or Dangerous as they were solo tours)

If the estate are so insistent on releasing this tour, do it for the fans and keep it low key. We will enjoy our hero performing on his last tour far more than the public, who will no doubt be eager to find fault and tear him down

Really? It kinda hurts to watch such a personal and meaningful song reduced to blatant lip-synch, and the robot with a moonwalk thrown in.

The worst part about SIM live on History tour is that even the background singers are lip-syncing to MJ's vocals. It can't get any more cringe worthy than that.

History Tour had some fantastic moments. I love TDCAU, Dangerous performances but overall that tour wasn't a showcase of Michael Jackson at the best of his abilities and releasing it would be big disaster. I'm personally not in favor of any of MJ's tours being released in theaters, because I don't think a lot of people would be interested, except for a very few hardcore fans.

Last edited:
I can understand why some fans are worried that his lip-syncing during the HIStory Tour will probably portray him not in a positive light to the general audience (in case of an official HIStory concert release).

But the general audience has already been aware of his lip-syncing (during that tour) due to the influx & the huge, free availability of such on line videos from that tour.

So, as I see it, an official HIStory concert release will not harm him as a performer from that perspective.

Galactus123;4223628 said:
He said the German concert so Munich is very likely. The only reason why they would release it and make it 3D is HD. I don't think they would release non HD HIStory Tour concert.

Thanks for the information.

But if John Branca decides to release the Munich concert specifically, that would be against MJ’s wish (because MJ did not want that particular concert to get an official release for a number of reasons).

mj_frenzy;4223667 said:
Thanks for the information.

But if John Branca decides to release the Munich concert specifically, that would be against MJ’s wish (because MJ did not want that particular concert to get an official release for a number of reasons).
But they did show it on TV. Are we sure Michael was against its release or is it just speculation?

But they did show it on TV. Are we sure Michael was against its release or is it just speculation?

A worldwide VHS release was intended in late 1997. Promotional materials were sent to stores and displayed. I believe the plug was pulled very last minute.

A worldwide VHS release was intended in late 1997. Promotional materials were sent to stores and displayed. I believe the plug was pulled very last minute.

There were news reports but also fanzines back then which stated that although MJ initially planned to get the Munich concert an official, commercial release he eventually backed out of that idea.

It was reported that MJ was highly dissatisfied with the final result of the Munich concert (the way it was edited, substandard dancing, hoarseness of his voice during the live singing, among other reasons).

The worst part about SIM live on History tour is that even the background singers are lip-syncing to MJ's vocals. It can't get any more cringe worthy than that.

Yeah! They (the music director for the tour) could have easily just separated the background vocals from the main lead, and the singers could do what they were hired to do and sing.

It's really the one song I wish he had done live on this tour the most. It was this tours Human Nature (not so much lyrically, but the tone and the dancing and such.)

It's really the one song I wish he had done live on this tour the most. It was this tours Human Nature (not so much lyrically, but the tone and the dancing and such.)

Same here. I wish he had dropped WBSS, which sounded terrible live on the History tour and did Stranger In Moscow live instead. I reckon MJ's voice was decent enough to do ballads live as the Jackson 5 medleys sounded fine most of the time. I wish MJ had done just one fully live performance of SIM. We still don't know how SIM would have sounded fully live. That's why I wish for History Tour and This Is It rehearsals of SIM to leak someday

People trip out too much over this.. if it were released there would be a group of people that enjoy it and any media source that could pick on the fact he lipsynced.. they'd be over 2 decades too late for that news.. We all know it already and it's on youtube - so for those who would actually go see it.. WE KNOW! lol

and the magical part is noone has to buy a ticket if they don't like it!

People trip out too much over this.. if it were released there would be a group of people that enjoy it and any media source that could pick on the fact he lipsynced.. they'd be over 2 decades too late for that news.. We all know it already and it's on youtube - so for those who would actually go see it.. WE KNOW! lol

and the magical part is noone has to buy a ticket if they don't like it!

You dramatically miss the point.

It's honestly frustrating that the only tour that the estate seems to care about is the history tour. IMO they should have made the same package for every era (Unheard music/Unreleased Concert/new doc). The point is they may or may not release Munich in cinema yet other aspects of MJs live career is ignored.
I think someone mentioned in the estate lawsuit against the new doc they claimed they owned the rights to the Triumph tour footage. If so, I think almost everyone here would prefer that release before Munich...
As for an anniversary release I see no problem with a package like Bad25 but for History. Just not in cinema lol I just really hope they eventually pay attention to Mjs earlier tours.

You dramatically miss the point.

Um no.. not dramatic, I think you're missing my point.. that people overly dramatize how "horrible" it would be for it to be released.. it's my way of saying chill out about it. It's not that big of a deal.

Back