I Am a Fan, But... (What Makes You Heretic Among Other Fans?)

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone call YANA a masterpiece. It's a cute song, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. They Don't Care About Us, Stranger In Moscow and Earth Song are the top 3 masterpieces of the HIStory album I think

It always depends on what you would call a "masterpiece".
To me a masterpiece could be something with a very great but rare chord-progression, great vocal harmonies...
But that is my opinion.

It always depends on what you would call a "masterpiece".
To me a masterpiece could be something with a very great but rare chord-progression, great vocal harmonies...
But that is my opinion.

A masterpiece doesn't have to be technical. Something like Childhood is a very simple song, yet it uses it's simplicity to make it something incredible.

A masterpiece doesn't have to be technical. Something like Childhood is a very simple song, yet it uses it's simplicity to make it something incredible.

Thats why i said "it depends on what you call a masterpiece" to me it have something to do with chords & production etc.. but this might be because i am musician.

as much as Michael had a passion for feature films (whether starring in or directing), i'm glad it didn't get in the way of his music. he definitely should have played peter pan in the early '80's though..

I think MJ playing a role in any 90s/00s movie would've been a commercial and critical disaster. He made the right move not starring in any imo

The fact of the matter is Michael was too big to look past that its MICHAEL JACKSON!

It would he very hard to view him in a movie and forget who we are watching.. especially since he was drawn to such iconiccharacters.. Peter pan, edgar allen Poe etc.

I think Michael did way more interviews than he was given credit for. people just didn't pay attention. they still don't...

I think 'ease on down the road' is more of a country jig than disco. I think it could have been on the 'off the wall' album too.

I always thought the song destiny should get some country music credit. The most country song hes done. That I can think of.

yes, 'destiny' is the more obvious choice for a country song.

I don't believe that 'for all time' was recorded during the 'thriller' sessions

I don't believe that the gangs in 'beat it' were segregated by race, as so many others have claimed

I think that the 'thriller' film should have been given the (12) certificate, and not (15)

I think the 'human nature' demo (without Michael singing) sounds scary and sad!

Last edited:
wasn't this thread originally titled 'unpopular opinions'? is there any way we can change it back to that?

I'm glad that there was no Invincible Tour. During the time of that album Michael didn't look like he was in very good shape, so it was probably for the best that a full on tour never happened.

I never cared for YANA...
I can't really view OTW as a "full album", it's half great songs - half fillers for me (still nice stuff, but not real "MJ greatness"), and strongly prefer Destiny and Triumph to it, partly because of the latter's "rawer" sound. My "dream OTW" would consist of the greatest tracks from these 3 albums.

I always thought the song destiny should get some country music credit.
Definitely! I always call it my fave country song. :D

Random note, I can't be the only one that gets embarrassed by some other MJ fans right? Lol

There are strange mega fans of anything, and those same 'type' of fans dont know how to separate fandom with normal life..

Get me?

I can't really view OTW as a "full album", it's half great songs - half fillers for me (still nice stuff, but not real "MJ greatness"), and strongly prefer Destiny and Triumph to it, partly because of the latter's "rawer" sound. My "dream OTW" would consist of the greatest tracks from these 3 albums.

People are entitled to their opinion, but it always mind boggled me how so many people say that OTW was Michael's greatest work ever. I love the album, but he greatly improved as an artist and songwriter after that.

although 'thriller' is my favourite overall, I feel 'off the wall' had a better leading single with 'don't stop..', compared to 'the girl is mine'. outside of that, I only like the singles 'off the wall' and 'rock with you' from that album.

vocally, I consider 'shake your body' to be a Michael Jackson song. I only hear the brothers when they sing 'down, down, down, down..' that's not enough of a contribution for a group recording for me.

I don't think the majority of Michael's music outside of the 80s and early 70s was 'pop'

I've just noticed that 'carousel' and 'careless whisper' by George Michael both sound similar. I think 'carousel' may have been recorded first...

I really don't like addressing his appearance at all, because it's not important, but he didn't look good after 2000. And if he did, the times were few. That tattooed lipliner was a mess. Sorry.

I really like the Xscape album.

His big hits aka 'radio hits'; Smooth Criminal, Beat It, Bad, Thriller (Don't get me wrong these are brilliant songs!), doesn't really do it for me. I appreciate his underrated and less played songs alot more. Give In to Me is a BIG favorite.

I love the Motownera very much.
I listen to the most of this songs very often since I discovered them all veeery intensly in the last year cause they get me always very quickly in good moot.
( Before I did this I honestly knew maybe 10 til 15 Motownera/The Jacksons songs)

Skywhriter is my favorite Motowneraalbum

I love The Jacksons Variety show and all their tv apearences in the 70ies and early 80ies with the beautiful colourful outfits very much.

Last edited:
I'm a fan but sometimes it gets to me how fellow fans make Michael's image worse.. defending all aspects of Michael's life like hes a flawless God only makes us sound not credible when we defend him of the allegations.

Seen it alot on YouTube lately.. lol

I don't think I've ever referred to Michael as 'king', or any other grand title. he's my fave, but I don't worship him.

I wish he made more international television appearances (performances) during the 'thriller' campaign in '83

I'm a fan but sometimes it gets to me how fellow fans make Michael's image worse.. defending all aspects of Michael's life like hes a flawless God only makes us sound not credible when we defend him of the allegations.

This has always been a thing.

I don't think Michael is the best singer, he's defo in my top 5 for sure, but i think there is better singers out there e.g. Freddie Mercury & George Michael to name a couple.

I don't see many people doing it, but I do see a lot of people accusing people of it.

I'm a heretic because I have a history of hating MJ's decision to lip sync during almost all of his concerts past 80s.

I love the Motownera very much.
I listen to the most of this songs very often since I discovered them all veeery intensly in the last year cause they get me always very quickly in good moot.
( Before I did this I honestly knew maybe 10 til 15 Motownera/The Jacksons songs)

Skywhriter is my favorite Motowneraalbum

I love The Jacksons Variety show and all their tv apearences in the 70ies and early 80ies with the beautiful colourful outfits very much.

My fave Motown album is Get it Together. I love how "You need love Like I do (don't you) gets mixed in with " dancing machine" The title track is great when performed live as well.

I feel like an heretic because, though I've been loving MJ's art for more than 25 years , I've always had difficulties to feel like I belonged to some kind of community.

My main goal in life has always consisted in trying to stay free from any kind of influence made by the group, stay true to myself and don't let nobody tell me what I had to do, say or think*. I also know that being a "fan" is, by definition, being under influence to some degree. That's why I always struggled with this word.

Thinking for yourself is an every-day battle that sometimes cost me to be rejected because I didn't fit the expected profile. But it's a true honor to be rejected for trying to be free.

(* and what avatar I had to display)

Last edited:
I am a fan of Michael but I will have to say when we SHY away from 'contraversal' conversations and only speak about it when horrible things happen.. Like the Dan Reed Doc... It only sets us back to share what we think on a more legit level..

I am suprised the stuff that people have shared (opinion wise) about Michael since the doc was announced and released! we should not be suprised to see these type of questions/comments.

We need to learn to be more open!

Back