Corey Feldman Speaks About Michael in a Interview

Yes it ruined mjs life and I'd argue even his career. He had success after dangerous but not on a similar scale. His career never recovered. The media never let anybody forget about the allegations.

Outside of america 93 didnt effect his career to much.history was a huge success

Outside of america 93 didnt effect his career to much.history was a huge success

I do think mjs follow up to dangerous would have been much more successful if it hadn't been for the allegations and settlement. History was successful but not spectacularly so.

I do think mjs follow up to dangerous would have been much more successful if it hadn't been for the allegations and settlement. History was successful but not spectacularly so.

Fair point, also the history tour ended up outselling the Bad tour in attendance. Only in the US did his career shift. I think that's why he didn't want to tour in the US.

Interms of singles success it was in the U.K and europe It couldnt have been more successful.it outdid previous releases.And also album sales when you think of the cost of the album.it was very expensive at the time that probably had more effect on sales more than anything in europe. i remember several friends who were casual fans at the time not buying it because of the price.Anyway all ifs and buts.but outside of the usa history was a huge success.and even in the usa you had yana entering at number one.the first time ever for a single

Last edited:
In the US - Scream first single ever to debut at #5 on Billboard Hot 100. In the US - You Are Not Alone first single ever to debut at #1 on Billboard Hot 100 (27 singles have done this since)

As sad as it may sound, but i think without the huge worldwide allegation scandal in 93, any follow up album to Dangerous would have probably performed worse than HIStory did in the given situation. Like it or not, there was also a benefit from this gigantic 93 shit storm that reached out much further than just the music scene. When the new record was ready, there was a "Michael Jackson doing music again" buzz, that probably would not have been there to that extent without the epic drama before.

The one thing that killed HIStory in the USA was the HBO concert cancellation. Sony lost a lot of money with that, so they were not that keen on investing more into promotion (in the USA) after that.

Btw, HIStory is also counted as "the highest selling double album" i think.

Last edited:
True. 93 turned me into a hardcore rather than just a casual fan.

Guys this is the first time I've heard anybody try to claim the allegations actually benefited mjs career. :doh:

Certainly didnt benefit in a general way but i know of alot of casual fans who became staunch cause of 93. Remember it been discussed on here years back and alot saying that

The allegations HURT his career, yes there are always things that go against thr grain.. exposer can mean introducing someone to michael for example, but the damage far outweighs any good that came of it..

And while it did not hurt his career as much in one area compared to another it still had effects everywhere. May be impossiblr to measure the exact extent but it is only logical to be aware of that!

Last edited:
I agree about his health and that his career wasn't quite the same afterwards. However, he did sell out the This Is It shows so I don't think it totally ruined him.
I agree. I think it was mental effect done to MJ than career. Thriller was big, BAD was huge; when a person reach that level of success, they are going to have some decline as time goes on (Look at Prince. He reached the success of Purple Rain. even Madonna decline compared to pass success; but Michael's state of mind was hit hard after "93" and caused him to make decision that worked against him even his death.

Fair point, also the history tour ended up outselling the Bad tour in attendance. Only in the US did his career shift. I think that's why he didn't want to tour in the US.
Again, Michael would have done great in America but when he put into his mind that he could not tour America, that was what he believed which was first started by the view of him being weird. Remember when it was announced he was going on tour with dangerous (which was before thee allegations of "93"), he said it was not going to tour America. Maybe he would have toured America the year or two later if the allegations did not come up by the success of Dangerous overseas).

Oh, I'm sure some of these women are getting paid to make accusations.
I know one thing. ANYONE who gets GLORIA ALRED or her daughter LISA BLOOM to represent them LOSE creditability with me.

At least he's setting the record straight with regards to Mj. Thats what matters. Considering corey was abused himself, he knows what a real predator is.

Guys this is the first time I've heard anybody try to claim the allegations actually benefited mjs career. :doh:

I did not write career. I wrote HIStory / Dangerous-follow-up-album.
The 93 allegations certainly destroyed him personally and his career on the long run.

However the HIStory album I think benefited from the mega shit storm because in the eyes of the media MJ was a very relevant topic at the time. If Dangerous era had ended nice and quietly, any follow up album would have been just another music release by MJ (the fading 80s star), which would have been a thing for music media. But because of the giant shit storm, HIStory and the "what is he doing now" also was a big topic for all other media who sold a lot of papers because of the 93 allegations, even if they wrote badly about the new music.

Bad news is good news if it's polarizing and sensational enough to reach millions of people all over the world.

Does that sound cynical? Yes. But trying to look at it realistic, the shit storm created a huge momentum. Just like the world shocking momentum of his sudden death that made the theatrical release of the This Is It film a success. Release the same film today and it would certainly not be of that much general interest.

Last edited:
^ I recall having a hard time being an MJ fan durring the HIStory era.. The hardest time to publically show MJ love.. I know I wasn't the only one, you may be the anomoly to the story (maybe becoming a fan at the time!?) but for those who can remember before and post allegation - I believe they would agree that ALL projects were heavily effected.

People uncomfortable to publically show MJ love have less reason to buy... I was an MJ fan but I did not own HIStory album until years after it's released.. I knew new music was out there, heard a clip of TDCAU (saw he cut off his hair) and that was IT.. I don't recall ever hearing "new" MJ music on the radio in the US.. Which I know it was played but not like before..

I did go back to Libya for a short time i 1996, and the same there.. In 1997/98 when I decided to stop hiding the fact I was an MJ fan - It was very hard. being that I was in JR High.

Yes it ruined mjs life and I'd argue even his career. He had success after dangerous but not on a similar scale. His career never recovered. The media never let anybody forget about the allegations.

Sure the 93 allegations did damage MJ`s carrer but it did not ruin his carrer. The fact that it did not shows how big he was to survive it.
His success in Europe was massiv, I think the most hits he had in Europe was with the History-Album. And also in the US the album was 1 and he had big hits like YANA. His VMA-Performance is legendary and so it`s a pity that he had not more USA-performances and the One Night Only-Show was cancelled.
I am not really sure was it his decission to not tour in the USA or did he follow a advice. I am sure if he had toured in the USA his shows were sold out anyway,

History was really a big time in Europe for MJ no doubt. He was everywhere but I think it would have been bigger if the allegations did not happen.

While he was still successful in Europe does anyone from there wonder how much more successful he would have been without the allegations? or is it just the thought.. he did well, and it does not go further than that? I am one to believe that without it, generally his career would have been better/bigger everywhere without it.. I don't think it's too far fetch to think HIStory could have sold 30 million range instead of 20's (as an example).. US sales up by a lot, Europe sales could have been bumped to some extent, and other places as well..

I mean lets not forget it's not only the US that is/was tabloid hungry, I mean European tabloids are still running strong today. and percent of negativity towards Michael over the years (US & Europe).. very high! He was treated like a Joke in many regards, and every day he had to combat that....

While he was still successful in Europe does anyone from there wonder how much more successful he would have been without the allegations? or is it just the thought.. he did well, and it does not go further than that? ....

NO I said exactly the same. His success was great but it would have been bigger without the allagations. No doubt.

Ifs and but. You could say if 93 hadnt happened then he wouldnt have written and releaaed the songs that were on history.if would have been a totally different album (like "decade") that might or might not have been more successful.well prob not as as it would only have been a g.hits album We could go on like that forever.

Ifs and but. You could say if 93 hadnt happened then he wouldnt have written and releaaed the songs that were on history.if would have been a totally different album (like "decade") that might or might not have been more successful.well prob not as as it would only have been a g.hits album We could go on like that forever.

Maybe but i don't think any PR expert would say child abuse allegations are good for business.

There's no doubt, Mj would've continued to dominate the 90s had the allegations never happened. I mean, look at his career up until 93(Superbowl, Dangerous tour, Opera Etc) he was unstoppable IMO. Look at how flawlessly he was able to incorporate rap into his music (at a time when rap was really gaining mainstream popularity). We will never know what could have been, but I'm assuming Mj would've continued to lead the music industry (especially in the U.S)...

^ I'll add that marketing and promotion would not have been shifted away from the US as much either.. touring, singles released, various advertising surrounding these things and more.. shifting marketing from the US does play a role in sales and success.. So it goes both ways, the allegations caused it and Michael and team did what they could to work (literally) around it.

Just to get back on topic a bit.. (though this topic of MJ is much more interesting)

Ironic news, the guy that interviewed Corey Feldman Matt Lauer was just fired from NBC news for 'inappropriate sexual behavior'

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/29/media/matt-lauer/index.html

Now it makes sense why Lauer pushed so hard on Corey and blamed the Victim.. He probably knew he would be under questioning for sexual behavior soon.

Just to get back on topic a bit.. (though this topic of MJ is much more interesting)

Ironic news, the guy that interviewed Corey Feldman Matt Lauer was just fired from NBC news for 'inappropriate sexual behavior'

Now it makes sense why Lauer pushed so hard on Corey and blamed the Victim.. He probably knew he would be under questioning for sexual behavior soon.

Agreed. It's all over the news recently. Although, a lot of these Hollywood cases are still allegations it's a positive thing when real victims are speaking out. Like Corey or not, he's been through a lot and is being vocal on this important issue.
MJ called it 20 years ago "Hell all up in Hollywood"

Garrison Keillor just announced that he had been fired from his radio station (probably worked there 50 years) for the same. I hope HR is doing their jobs-I don't see how you can do a fair and thorough investigation in a day.

It seems Matt was going to be the subject of another expose at another big paper-journalists are trying to go after anybody and everybody in power. I don't think sexual harassment has any place in the workplace, but I don't want witch hunts either.

Back