Michael's Vocals?

Was Dirty Diana actually performed in This Is It? I can't remember? If so then we neeed to see it - why not?

Thriller sung live? - I doubt it very much. - Even in TII it is not live, not at all.

Off The Wall medley - was it planned to be in the setlist?? - I must say I hope it would be live, terrible to watch in HIStory. But I doubt it would be live.

Stranger in Moscow would be absolutely stunning sung live. - So sad he never sang that one live...

No, I doubt that he was going to lip sych to Thriller and Off The Wall medley again. It was too obvious whenever he lip synced songs from Thriller and Off The Wall as his voice was different back then. Maybe he would have recorded some of his older songs again if he was going to lip-sync.

Was Dirty Diana actually performed in This Is It? I can't remember? If so then we neeed to see it - why not?

Michael was going to rehearse Dirty Diana but he was killed earlier that day

I think they probably did a few run throughs of Dirty Diana. There's some footage of MJ on stage with the red lighting and all. I doubt MJ actually sang though.

He rehearsed Dirty Diana prior to passing - he just did not do it with the completed set...

For This is It
I think it would have played out like this:
Wanna Be Starting Something: Live
Jam: Playback with live adlibs
They Don't Really Care About Us: Playback
Human Nature: Live
Stranger In Moscow: Live
Smooth Criminal: Playback
The Way You Make Me Feel: Playback
Jackson 5 Melody: Live
Off the Wall Melody: Rerecorded Playback
I Just Can't Stop Loving You: Live
Dangerous: Playback
Black or White: Playback
Dirty Diana: Rerecorded
Beat It: Live
Thriller: Rerecorded
Earth Song: 50/50. Hard to say. I'd lean with playback and live.
Billie Jean: Playback
Man In the Mirror: Playback

Child/Kid (May 1964 - July 1973) - His voice was a boy soprano. He was a kid when he sang "Big Boy" and "I Want You Back".
Adolescence/Teenager (August 1973 - October 1976) - His voice was deepening during his puberty when he left Motown and went to Epic Records.
Young Adult (November 1976 - November 1982) - He used a high-pitched soft-spoken voice when he was in public.
Mature Adult (December 1982 - October 2021) - He decided to start using his normal deep manly voice in public as well as private. His vocals were becoming fuller. His vocals were also becoming more aggressive in rock songs. He could sing any type of genre and sing opera. He started speaking and singing in his real tenor/baritone voice. He started using this voice from the Thriller Era onwards. He scatted and growled and beatboxed because he had his standard style. His real voice is dramatic tenor. The voice that he acted in public is high tenor.

There are four phases of his voice during his life. This is Michael Jackson's vocal analysis.

Last edited:
Yes. because like you said age and trying different vocals. he had a wide voice range. he was very gifted.

For This is It
I think it would have played out like this:
Wanna Be Starting Something: Live
Jam: Playback with live adlibs
They Don't Really Care About Us: Playback
Human Nature: Live
Stranger In Moscow: Live
Smooth Criminal: Playback
The Way You Make Me Feel: Playback
Jackson 5 Melody: Live
Off the Wall Melody: Rerecorded Playback
I Just Can't Stop Loving You: Live
Dangerous: Playback
Black or White: Playback
Dirty Diana: Rerecorded
Beat It: Live
Thriller: Rerecorded
Earth Song: 50/50. Hard to say. I'd lean with playback and live.
Billie Jean: Playback
Man In the Mirror: Playback

I think Stranger In Moscow and Beat It would be playback. If Beat It was live, Billie Jean would have most likely been live too. I don't think they would have re-recorded anything. I think they would've adjusted audio levels and pitch on some of the vocals however to make them sound a bit deeper. Like they might've on Dirty Diana for example. Kind of like they did for The Way You Make Me Feel for the 30th anniversary concerts in 2001.

[Removed by staff]

I am no doctor and this could might very well be true. BUT is it a fact that drugs destroys your vocals? I mean there have been quite a few great great singers/vocalists whi has taken many drugs - and they still sang perfect. So this is actually only curiosity - is prescription drugs really bad for the vocals??

I think Elvis took prescription drugs too didn't he? Freddie Mercury alledgedly also took some drugs, Curt Kobain too - they all sang great, Amy Winehouse had a perfect voice too. - I will admit Whitney Houston sounded very bad at her last concerts, but I do not know if it was because of drugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
many fans said michael vocals got bad when he did concerts while having a strep throat and laryngitis. bad idea indeed. that's gotta hurt. i really wish he cancel concerts when he had those.

but beside that he still sounded great after bad and history.

I think Stranger In Moscow and Beat It would be playback. If Beat It was live, Billie Jean would have most likely been live too. I don't think they would have re-recorded anything. I think they would've adjusted audio levels and pitch on some of the vocals however to make them sound a bit deeper. Like they might've on Dirty Diana for example. Kind of like they did for The Way You Make Me Feel for the 30th anniversary concerts in 2001.

He was planning on using newly recorded playback for some songs but abandoned the idea early on when he decided he wanted to try and sing as live as possible, and if he needed help they'd just use playback like they always have. Michael Prince said he said he has some vocals of SIM and WBSS that MJ recorded for this purpose, although he never recorded the full songs.

Hess;4313720 said:
I am no doctor and this could might very well be true. BUT is it a fact that drugs destroys your vocals? I mean there have been quite a few great great singers/vocalists whi has taken many drugs - and they still sang perfect. So this is actually only curiosity - is prescription drugs really bad for the vocals??

I think Elvis took prescription drugs too didn't he? Freddie Mercury alledgedly also took some drugs, Curt Kobain too - they all sang great, Amy Winehouse had a perfect voice too. - I will admit Whitney Houston sounded very bad at her last concerts, but I do not know if it was because of drugs.

It was mainly because of drugs.

Gary Catona (who was Whitney Houston’s close friend but also her vocal coach from 2005 until her death in 2012) revealed that her voice deteriorated greatly in her final years due to smoking and drug abuse.

“…She got caught up in her lifestyle again and she began practicing the habits [smoking and drug abuse] which were not beneficial to her voice…” (Gary Catona)

Gary Catona also made the revelation that Whitney Houston reached a point (around 2005) where she could barely speak because of drug abuse.

Her drummer and music director Michael Baker also confirmed the fact that her voice (especially, during her last concerts) was damaged because of drug abuse.

Some drugs can affect vocal performance for some people. Unless you actually have proof that this is what happened to MJ don't spout it as fact.

mj_frenzy;4313811 said:
It was mainly because of drugs.

Gary Catona (who was Whitney Houston’s close friend but also her vocal coach from 2005 until her death in 2012) revealed that her voice deteriorated greatly in her final years due to smoking and drug abuse.

“…She got caught up in her lifestyle again and she began practicing the habits [smoking and drug abuse] which were not beneficial to her voice…” (Gary Catona)

Gary Catona also made the revelation that Whitney Houston reached a point (around 2005) where she could barely speak because of drug abuse.

Her drummer and music director Michael Baker also confirmed the fact that her voice (especially, during her last concerts) was damaged because of drug abuse.

i feel so bad for Whitney. drugs are terrible and need to be address more. to all the people who die from drugs i really wish they got the help they need it. prayers to bobby brown and the family. smh.

Boy George was known for his silky smooth voice in the 80s/early 90's and gradually his voice changed and to his own admission drugs/cigarettes destroyed his vocal range. I actually prefer his voice now. I wonder with MJ if he had developed nodules on his vocal cords over the years?

Back