Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

John Landis puts me off, based on his nasty remarks about MJ.....but hey who cares about that when there is $$$$$$ to be made.....according to the estate when they have questionable people working on MJ projects who talked shit about him eg. John Legend, Paul Anka.

John Landis puts me off, based on his nasty remarks about MJ.....but hey who cares about that when there is $$$$$$ to be made.....according to the estate when they have questionable people working on MJ projects who talked shit about him eg. John Legend, Paul Anka.

He has also said some genuinely lovely things about Michael. I choose to focus on those.

I've never been a 3D fan. It always gave me a headache. I'm not interested in Thriller 3D at all.

Agreed. 3D in theaters can be OK - a little annoying sometimes, but OK. - At home... I would never watch a 3D movie at home. - I would feel rather stupid sitting there with those ugly glasses on - and very little 3D effect really...

Despite it being 3D, I think the never before seen ending is the real selling point.

New footage will be intresting. - Hope it doesn't ruin anything. - Never change a winning team as they say... And Thriller is a winner.

He has also said some genuinely lovely things about Michael. I choose to focus on those.

Agreed.

for me, new footage is new footage... I wanna see! I'll never think of it as a new 'Thriller video'.. just an 'extended' or 'altered'.. It's not taking place of so they can play with it for fun and toss in new footage.. It doesn't bother me.. the Thriller we know it to be is the actual video/short film

Its probably the most concerning aspect of this project, to me. The new ending I mean.

But the fact that John has signed off on it AND seems genuinely excited about it - I do hope he's not just seeing dollar signs - then I am a little reassured.

You're talking about the undisputed greatest music video of all time. Why change it? It'd be like releasing the Thriller album again with Fergie and the Black Eyed Peas on it...wait a minute :(

I'm not gonna know how I feel about the new ending until I see it. But I really am thrilled (forgive me) at the prospect of a nationwide cinema release.

I love Thriller but why does It need another anniversary special? Didn't it have its 25 anniversary edition? How much longer do they plan on milking the Thriller cow? Why don't they focus on his post 80s stuff? Thriller will keep on selling and charting on the charts. It doesn't need another anniversary edition.

I was thinking about this yesterday and I think instead of focusing on just Thriller, they should do a Michael Jackson Halloween pack or something. MJ had four horror themed songs- Thriller, Ghosts, Is It Scary and Threatened. So they can release a mini EP with just these four songs for Halloween next year. They can also include Thriller, Thriller with alternate ending, Making of Thriller, Ghosts and Making of Ghosts as a part of that project. That sounds like a better project than Thriller 35 to me. Does anyone else feel the same?

Wasn't the ending of Thriller an adlib? As in when Michael turns around and gives it that other layer of mystery (with the eyes), wasn't that not in the original idea? If not it's very possible that they'll draw from Thrillers origins before release..

I love Thriller but why does It need another anniversary special? Didn't it have its 25 anniversary edition?

Thriller will keep on selling and charting on the charts. It doesn't need another anniversary edition.

You just answered your own question. That's why. It's about making a constant stream flow of money. Thriller makes the most money.

I'm not gonna know how I feel about the new ending until I see it. But I really am thrilled (forgive me) at the prospect of a nationwide cinema release.

With all due respect, are there many people who are going to play to watch a fifteen minute short at the cinema? I mean, I love Thriller as much as anyone else, but I'm not sure if I would pay to watch it, if it is released theatrically.

On the other hand, a chance to see Michael on the big screen? Sign me up! :D

With all due respect, are there many people who are going to play to watch a fifteen minute short at the cinema? I mean, I love Thriller as much as anyone else, but I'm not sure if I would pay to watch it, if it is released theatrically.

On the other hand, a chance to see Michael on the big screen? Sign me up! :D

You're absolutely right. We did discuss this earlier in the thread. We don't know what form it's going to take yet - it may not even show in cinemas. My guess is it will however and it's possible Sony will run it promotionally with a big cinema release ie. playing prior to the main film? Or the Estate have come up with some kind of documentary to play alongside it (we've heard nothing about this so I'm not sure that's likely)?

Thriller HAS exhibited in theatres before though. On it's own. The most recent example being when Thriller 25 came out, the video had a one-off screening in a number of Odeon cinemas in England and Wales.

Wasn't the ending of Thriller an adlib? As in when Michael turns around and gives it that other layer of mystery (with the eyes), wasn't that not in the original idea? If not it's very possible that they'll draw from Thrillers origins before release..

Does anyone have that book on Thriller with all the photos in it? The one with the holographic cover. I've got it but it's in storage. I wonder if any of the photos in that hint at any unused ideas...

EDIT: So I retrieved this book from storage and I must say it looks as if nothing else was shot with Michael other than what ended up on film. There are certainly no hints as to any unused sequence, unfortunately.

Last edited:

You're absolutely right. We did discuss this earlier in the thread. We don't know what form it's going to take yet - it may not even show in cinemas. My guess is it will however and it's possible Sony will run it promotionally with a big cinema release ie. playing prior to the main film? Or the Estate have come up with some kind of documentary to play alongside it (we've heard nothing about this so I'm not sure that's likely)?

Thriller HAS exhibited in theatres before though. On it's own. The most recent example being when Thriller 25 came out, the video had a one-off screening in a number of Odeon cinemas in England and Wales.

Does anyone have that book on Thriller with all the photos in it? The one with the holographic cover. I've got it but it's in storage. I wonder if any of the photos in that hint at any unused ideas...

EDIT: So I retrieved this book from storage and I must say it looks as if nothing else was shot with Michael other than what ended up on film. There are certainly no hints as to any unused sequence, unfortunately.

I did not know that Thriller had been released theatrically before. I also didn't think that it might play before another film; that makes a lot of sense.

It's all conjecture, anyway; it might not get a theatrical release.

He's not going to CHANGE the ending, is he? Just show an alternate ending? (Like Ola Ray jumping up and turning into a vampire, or something).:D

He's not going to CHANGE the ending, is he? Just show an alternate ending? (Like Ola Ray jumping up and turning into a vampire, or something).:D

I believe he's changing it.

I believe he's changing it.
Well, I mean Thriller will have it's original ending and he's making an alternate version like a directors cut.
In case it gets released on DVD.

I hope with the alternate ending, they release at least a couple of new unreleased songs from the Thriller era. This song 'Rolling The Dice' has always fascinated me and I'm dying to hear it so I hope they release that as part of this project.

Can't be bothered to trawl through 16 pages, can someone recap for me what we know so far about this project? I really haven't got a clue what this is all about...
John Landis is involved, it's going to be in 3D, it's going to have an ending that none of us have seen before, and that's pretty much it.:)

Any info on this yet?

I come on here all the time thinking it will be the day we finally get some illumination on this.

6 months out from the predicted release. Maybe another 2-3 months to wait yet...

I come on here all the time thinking it will be the day we finally get some illumination on this.

6 months out from the predicted release. Maybe another 2-3 months to wait yet...

We probably won't hear much more about this until we get closer to October.

I hope this a great release for everyone who is excited about it, and I will definitely go out and watch it (buy it)

But right now I can't get excited at all to see Thriller AGAIN. New footage would be cool though

and this project will bring more attention to the thriller album... and the thriller video on youtube... little closer to half a billion hits ;)

Removed

I hope this a great release for everyone who is excited about it, and I will definitely go out and watch it (buy it)

But right now I can't get excited at all to see Thriller AGAIN. New footage would be cool though

I think we would all like to see some other MJ songs/short films get some shine, but considering that Thriller is the most iconic and known short film in music history along with the Thriller album being the best selling album of all time the estate milking it doesn't/wouldn't surprise me and to a certain extent I can understand it.

Wishful thinking but this year marks 30 years since the release of the Bad album and tour. Wouldn't it be amazing if they released a Bad tour concert in theatres along with Thriller in 3D? If only!!!

Wishful thinking but this year marks 30 years since the release of the Bad album and tour. Wouldn't it be amazing if they released a Bad tour concert in theatres along with Thriller in 3D? If only!!!

that would be freaking awesome.

That would be awesome but I have a feeling that they would put the Munich 1997 concert in 3D with Thiller 3D instead. That is more likely sadly.

Last edited:

That would be awesome but I have a feeling that they would put the Munich 1997 concert in 3D with Thiller 3D instead. That is more likely sadly.

To me adding in a concert that was taped a decade later would be a baffling thing to market for distributors.

Back