Have We Lost The Real Michael?

Have We Lost The Real Michael?

• Yes

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 50.0%

• Total voters
How do people feel about fans not knowing which is a digital creation imaged or an original photo? How do people feel about the Mike Like tag being used against fans who have a different viewpoint of Michael?

I find these two trends to be rather frustrating, at times. There is such a wealth of knowledge going to waste, from long term/older fans and fans who've actually been in Michael's world, because they are often disrespected, not believed by others and discouraged from involvement. One of the saddest things about the fandom, post-2009, is just how much it fractured; when really, it should have been binding closer together....with fans of all ages and backgrounds working to disseminate the right information and help each other to learn and grow.

Indeed, it’s heartbreaking somehow to confess how we feel about Michael now and it’s only since yesterday I managed to listen to Michael without the grief interfering as in crying or being upset and yeah I know it’s been 9 years.

It’s not like we lost our love for Michael if you’re a long time fan, I think it’s grief that played a major part in us ‘moving on’ and somehow ‘discovering’ the world outside the MJbubble. I admit I drifted away for awhile to just see the other side of life but somehow you drift back home As it’s a place you’ve known all along and feel at peace.

Anyway, I’m just putting thought on here about how I feel now and I know we lost our Bliss and our bubble with MJ was ruthlessly destroyed 9 years as I remember people’s attitude towards us suddenly changed from hate to love or should it be compassion.

Then you had the influx of new fans as I said before we come from different worlds and all we can do is try to listen and understand each other.
Now I have to xscape lol

The first divide happened when Michael passed. Grief turned into sadness and/or anger. Many fans were angry for various reasons.

There was also a divide when the "Michael" album was released.

Before that, most people were behind the estate and for new releases (or at least one new release). People were then angry with MJ's family for complaining about certain songs. Things changed afterward.

I would say no... not because I think he's not gone... but because I believe that his soul is around this world watching over and protecting. He was a man but also a being that had a high vibration that the world was not ready for. He'll always be here... and honestly... I'm at peace with it!

Thats not to say that I dont cry here and there... but mostly, I'm just grateful that he brought Millions of people together... even the ones born after his passing. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

The first divide happened when Michael passed. Grief turned into sadness and/or anger. Many fans were angry for various reasons.

There was also a divide when the "Michael" album was released.

Before that, most people were behind the estate and for new releases (or at least one new release). People were then angry with MJ's family for complaining about certain songs. Things changed afterward.

The truth is the Michael album made an irreparable damage within the fan community.

The truth is the Michael album made an irreparable damage within the fan community.

That's true.

There are people, like me, who think that - maybe - it is Michael Jackson on those songs. Then, there are fans who are vehemently denying that it could ever be Michael Jackson on those songs.

Xscape also had the same effect, with some appreciating the remixes, and some people thinking that it was slanderous to Michael's legacy to throw out what he left, and just keep the vocals.

earthlyme;4226299 said:
I would say no... not because I think he's not gone... but because I believe that his soul is around this world watching over and protecting. He was a man but also a being that had a high vibration that the world was not ready for. He'll always be here... and honestly... I'm at peace with it!

Thats not to say that I dont cry here and there... but mostly, I'm just grateful that he brought Millions of people together... even the ones born after his passing. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

very well stated here as I intend to say NO to the question now too lol
I mean I just thought about what my friend that lives outside the MJ bubble told me and it made sad and blessed at the same time :blush:

I was talking about my memories I had as a fan enjoying the MJ parties and feeling the bond and the connection with fellow fans and she asked me if I would go to one again she would love to join me as she has never felt connected and never went to any party before and that made me realise how blessed we are really. Then again, I had the sad news to tell her that MJ parties here are gone. See what grief and loss does hey. It’s like an era that is just gone and all I have left are memories.

This is an interesting thought and question and I've enjoyed reading the responses. I would answer no to this question.

I'm one of the 'oldies' too that has been around in this community for years and years...in fact I can barely remember a time before it! There's absolutely no doubt that things have changed. The community is unrecognisable to what it was 10 years ago for instance. I think a lot of that is down to people growing older, having other interests and of course the fact that Michael is no longer here. From my point of view, I have a family now and my time spent here and elsewhere MJ-wise is nowhere near as vast as it once was which is a natural progression and the same as it would be if Michael was still here I guess. I couldn't go to a party at the drop of a hat, or visit a different city for the weekend with other fans just because, but that's the same as with all other interests in my life! Priorities change. A massive part of my heart will always be with Michael though and I cherish the memories dearly, they were a huge part of my time growing up and they were magical and so so happy!

There's been a lot said about fans making Michael into a saint and not acknowledging him as a human with flaws etc. When Michael was here I was completely guilty of being totally in awe of him, he was super human to me, invincible. He had strength of character I had never witnessed before. He was impossibly talented. When he walked into the room my God did you know it...the aura he had was (dare I say it) ethereal. He was magical. Even now when I've written that I've used the word 'guilty'. It's almost like there's this culture of having to acknowledge Michael's faults otherwise you're this crazy deluded soul that gives fans a bad name. I don't care about Michael's flaws and bad habits and I have little interest in digging deeper to find out about them. Can anyone who was here before 2009 think back to just how different things were back then? How private and guarded Michael was? Do you remember how fierce we were about protecting Michael's privacy? We didn't discuss his health. We didn't discuss his kids, his surgeries and to a degree his finances amongst other things. This was strict and mutual amongst everyone who frequented here and other sites. The biggest change for me in the last 9 years is this appetite for focussing on these negative things and dissecting every part of his life. MJJC has a section now where these things can be discussed - in response to the fans appetite to discuss it. Clearly this wouldn't have been the case back in the day. If you look through those threads there's a definite shift in atmosphere and even without looking at join dates you can see who the pre and post 2009 fans are. You see this all the time with social media though, people as a whole reveal so much more than they did 10 years ago so maybe it's just the way things are now. There aren't many people including famous people that maintain a high level of privacy these days. Post 2009 fans are perhaps seeing things through the expectations of what artists today do on social media whereas older fans will strongly suspect that Michael wouldn't have revealed himself and his life the way other famous people do - it was all part of his mystique and magic.

I don't have much of an opinion on the altered images as it's not something I've noticed massively...perhaps again because I have withdrawn from most parts of the community. Again older fans will recognise when an image has been changed but I hadn't thought about the younger fans and how much harder it will be for them to recognise what is real and what isn't. That could potentially be problematic in years to come which is a frightening thought! Things like the Gary statue could become much more common! The term lost the real Michael could never be more literal than in that sense.

In short, in person I've not lost the real Michael. I feel very much frozen in time when it comes to him and the connection I've felt with him which is still so pure as it was 9 years ago. As a whole though I can certainly see it happening which I hadn't really considered until now!

All I can say is 'We had him'. I'm fortunate enough to have followed his career since J5. Nothing can take away my memories and the firm friends made because of him. Michael will always be real to me in the way he was when he was with us.

I would also like to add that the community has gotten closer in the past 2 years.

Much of the grief and anger (post Michael's passing) is starting to heal. And many are beginning to celebrate Michael again.

There's a thriving fanbase on Instagram. Sharing pictures and videos of MJ. But also sharing pictures of their MJ collections. Its small but constantly growing. There are a surprising number of young fans who weren't around during the 90's.

Even after all this time, Michael is still heavily featured all over pop culture. All sorts of art, film and song are dedicated to him.

I see the community getting much closer at Michael's 60th birthday.

I think we just have to continue to be optimistic and positive. And spread the L.O.V.E.

The question is: who among us has really known the real Michael?!

I've been a fan for over 26 years now, with the good the the bad along the way. I remember, it had been hard at certain points, especially after the '93 allegations, when even my siblings were bullying me for supporting an alleged pedophile. I was a kid back then and I couldn't understand everything that was going on and it did hurt. But I have always stood by Michael and defended him as well as I could. I have never denied being a fan and all my friends have known that Michael (the superstar and the man, with faults and all. I have never thought of MJ as being a God. Just a really gifted human being) has always had a special place in my heart. I think , nowadays, there is some sort of constructive envy in the air, if I may call it that...people around me realizing that, this man, whom I have never met face to face, has maybe held his place longer than anyone.

I have to admit that, when Michael died, I had been mad at him. His death ruined my dream of, one day, meeting him and thanking him for all the great moments (the not so great moments we tend to forget anyway), letting him feel the love we had for him from afar. In my mind, it would have made a difference.

With that being said, I think that the fanbase nowadays is a lot different and that is due mostly to social media. Everyone seems to have an opinion about everything and I support that. We are all entitled to an opinion, even if it's different from the next. And it is really hard being a fan of someone who is no longer there to react...

This is an interesting thought and question and I've enjoyed reading the responses. I would answer no to this question.

I'm one of the 'oldies' too that has been around in this community for years and years...in fact I can barely remember a time before it! There's absolutely no doubt that things have changed. The community is unrecognisable to what it was 10 years ago for instance. I think a lot of that is down to people growing older, having other interests and of course the fact that Michael is no longer here. From my point of view, I have a family now and my time spent here and elsewhere MJ-wise is nowhere near as vast as it once was which is a natural progression and the same as it would be if Michael was still here I guess. I couldn't go to a party at the drop of a hat, or visit a different city for the weekend with other fans just because, but that's the same as with all other interests in my life! Priorities change. A massive part of my heart will always be with Michael though and I cherish the memories dearly, they were a huge part of my time growing up and they were magical and so so happy!

There's been a lot said about fans making Michael into a saint and not acknowledging him as a human with flaws etc. When Michael was here I was completely guilty of being totally in awe of him, he was super human to me, invincible. He had strength of character I had never witnessed before. He was impossibly talented. When he walked into the room my God did you know it...the aura he had was (dare I say it) ethereal. He was magical. Even now when I've written that I've used the word 'guilty'. It's almost like there's this culture of having to acknowledge Michael's faults otherwise you're this crazy deluded soul that gives fans a bad name. I don't care about Michael's flaws and bad habits and I have little interest in digging deeper to find out about them. Can anyone who was here before 2009 think back to just how different things were back then? How private and guarded Michael was? Do you remember how fierce we were about protecting Michael's privacy? We didn't discuss his health. We didn't discuss his kids, his surgeries and to a degree his finances amongst other things. This was strict and mutual amongst everyone who frequented here and other sites. The biggest change for me in the last 9 years is this appetite for focussing on these negative things and dissecting every part of his life. MJJC has a section now where these things can be discussed - in response to the fans appetite to discuss it. Clearly this wouldn't have been the case back in the day. If you look through those threads there's a definite shift in atmosphere and even without looking at join dates you can see who the pre and post 2009 fans are. You see this all the time with social media though, people as a whole reveal so much more than they did 10 years ago so maybe it's just the way things are now. There aren't many people including famous people that maintain a high level of privacy these days. Post 2009 fans are perhaps seeing things through the expectations of what artists today do on social media whereas older fans will strongly suspect that Michael wouldn't have revealed himself and his life the way other famous people do - it was all part of his mystique and magic.

I don't have much of an opinion on the altered images as it's not something I've noticed massively...perhaps again because I have withdrawn from most parts of the community. Again older fans will recognise when an image has been changed but I hadn't thought about the younger fans and how much harder it will be for them to recognise what is real and what isn't. That could potentially be problematic in years to come which is a frightening thought! Things like the Gary statue could become much more common! The term lost the real Michael could never be more literal than in that sense.

In short, in person I've not lost the real Michael. I feel very much frozen in time when it comes to him and the connection I've felt with him which is still so pure as it was 9 years ago. As a whole though I can certainly see it happening which I hadn't really considered until now!

I would also like to add that the community has gotten closer in the past 2 years.

Much of the grief and anger (post Michael's passing) is starting to heal. And many are beginning to celebrate Michael again.

There's a thriving fanbase on Instagram. Sharing pictures and videos of MJ. But also sharing pictures of their MJ collections. Its small but constantly growing. There are a surprising number of young fans who weren't around during the 90's.

Even after all this time, Michael is still heavily featured all over pop culture. All sorts of art, film and song are dedicated to him.

I see the community getting much closer at Michael's 60th birthday.

I think we just have to continue to be optimistic and positive. And spread the L.O.V.E.

@staywild23

Thought you might be interested in looking at this thread or at least these two comments. It's pre-2019 but there are some interesting, thoughtful comments here. Some of the content of the thread is a bit upsetting so I hope it doesn't make you cry; I thought I'd risk it. The second comment here very much reminds me of your approach to this sort of thing, looking for the positive.

Liking this thread, interesting discussion. Will have to find time to read through. Though this comment is quite relatable. It took time but probably for long time fans healing started, and the haters probably also started to see the good once the constant onslaughts of negative media stopped. This is talking about 2016-2018, but I think something else changes in 2022 also.
I know that's not point of the thread. The original question is very thought provoking.

Back