Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie 'Searching for Neverland' from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran

ILoveHIStory

Proud Member
Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie Coming from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran Who Knew King of Pop Well

michael-jackson-and-his-kids-1.jpg

EXCLUSIVE A Michael Jackson movie that will show him as a doting parent in the final years of his life is coming to TV. And the good news is, the producer is someone who knew Jackson well from the beginning of his career, and still reveres him.

Casting notices have gone out for a Lifetime movie based on the book by Jackson’s bodyguards, Bill Whitfield and Javon Beard. “Remember The Time: Protecting Michael Jackson In His Final Days,” was published in 2014 and was pretty much on track about Jackson’s life after he returned from his self imposed exile abroad in 2006.

The most interesting thing about the casting notice is that the producer of the film is former Motown chief Suzanne DePasse, who worked for Berry Gordy from the late 60s until the company was sold. DePasse literally knows everything about Motown. She was there when the Jackson 5 was discovered, and has maintained excellent relations with the Jackson family and all the Motown acts over the last four decades. She has two Emmy Awards, and three other nominations– including nods for two highly regarded mini-series about the Temptations and the Jacksons’ rise to fame. The Jackson legacy should be in good hands with DePasse, that’s for certain. (By coincidence, I just caught that Temps movie on cable last week, and it really holds up!)

I’m obviously curious about the movie, and Jackson fans will be, too. (DePasse’s office didn’t return phone calls yesterday.) But the bodyguards’ book is a good resource for the last couple of years of Jackson’s life as it shows his struggles to find a new place to live after leaving Neverland, dealing with his mounting financial crisis, and parenting his three young children. There’s no doubt that Jackson was an excellent father– just look at those kids seven years after his death. They’re thriving. He was doing something right without a doubt.

So stay tuned. “Remember The Time” sounds like it might be the first step in rehabilitating Jackson’s legacy via film. Jackson’s estate should be happy about that.

R.F./showbiz411

Last edited:
Re: Exclusive: Michael Jackson TV Movie Coming from Emmy Winning Motown Veteran

Oh God..

With stuff like this I just don't know how to digest it.. I naturally want to get excited for it but know how south it can go.. soo!

With stuff like this I just don't know how to digest it.. I naturally want to get excited for it but know how south it can go.. soo!

I like that bodyguard's book a lot. And they seem to be honest guys.
de Passe never said anything negative about MJ as far as I know.
So on the surface I approve this.
But if they get someone like Flex to play MJ then.....

I'm thrilled Suzanne is involved (all of her stuff has been excellent and accurate, with small details changing for drama's sake). But Lifetime has been doing absolutely hideous biopics. Hopefully Suzanne will have total control.

Much rather her than Tavis Smiley's final days movie.

It wouldn't hurt if they asked Prince and Paris too. They were old enough to remember
a lot of things during those years. People should see how great he was with his kids.

The only reason I will keep an open mind about this project is Suzanne DePasse, she worked on 'Jacksons: An American Dream' which was actually good. We shall see

Last edited:

I'm sure Suzanne DePasse knows what she's doing for the TV film project. With her taking control of the project it's hands down and possibly worth watching.

The thought of anyone playing Michael Jackson makes my stomach turn. The only film I would watch is regards to MJ would be a documentary with actually footage of him. Some people should never be portrayed by actors.

I feel the same about seeing someone play Michael but at some point we have to accept the fact it's going to happen.. He's too big of a celeb for films NOT to be made of him..

If love Suzanne DePasse, she is very good i love the movie The Jackson An America Dream she was right on she did a beautiful job. If she has control of this i now it will be good. Can't wait to see it.(y)

I agree too not Flex he was awful and Man In The Mirror was awful too.

Last edited:

Im hoping i get casted

The thought of anyone playing Michael Jackson makes my stomach turn. The only film I would watch is regards to MJ would be a documentary with actually footage of him. Some people should never be portrayed by actors.

OMG, I feel the exact same way!
Casting alone is going to make this cringeworthy.

Edit: I also think it would be pretty boring to have the whole movie about MJ being a parent.
I can understand having that be ONE part/component of a doc about his life, but having a whole doc about him just being a parent, Meh.
I probs wouldn't/won't watch it, and I'm glad it's just going to be a TV only release.

Last edited:

No one could make Michael justice, the casting choice for Michael in An American Dream was fine because his adult life wasn't as complex and as controversial as it began to be in the Bad era. I'm all for bio documentaries as it was done with Bob Marley and Amy Winehouse.

No one will ever do MJ justice but someone will play him.. over the years I can tell you probably more than 1 person... We already have what 2 bios in work now?

I think the number one person susanne would have chosen wouldve been wylie draper :(.........r.i.p whylie

Getting someone to fill wylie's shoes is gonna be hard as he was the best actor to play mj imo

I think the number one person susanne would have chosen wouldve been wylie draper :(.........r.i.p whylie

Getting someone to fill wylie's shoes is gonna be hard as he was the best actor to play mj imo
Nah...he would've been way too old. He was playing mj 1984 in his 20s in 1991-1992. So he would be around 40 - 50 years old today

Nah...he would've been way too old. He was playing mj 1984 in his 20s in 1991-1992. So he would be around 40 - 50 years old today
How old was Michael in the bodyguards' book? 48-50?
Suzanne made an excellent choice with Wylie. I hope she does as well this time. So glad SHE'S the one doing this and hope she doesn't disappoint.

I loved the book by Bill and Javon - very honest, enlightening and sweet to read.

I'm wary about this, but I won't give a definitive "NO" until I see the casting.

Oh yeah Wylie Draper, if he's still alive today he would love to play Michael again, he's the best gang Michael he played. Still it's too bad he's already gone years ago.

i'm sure it will be bad, if it happens at all, but oh well, at least this time they picked a decent book.

I highly doubt Wylie would have been chosen for this project.. We have no idea where he would have been in his life, how he looked, or his capability to play MJ in that type of feel.. The role of MJ in the 80's on American Dream was not an indepth look into the mind of Michael.. It takes a different type of acting and thought process to portray the mentality of a person instead of sectional moments.. (burn/Motown 25/ little studio moments/victory on stage)..

In my personal opinion the only person I can see do a 50% at least is E'cas.. Him on blossom for example was a little glimpse of him capturing MJ a little.

True but who knows had he still been alive he may have been able to pull it off

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Their all jumping on the bandwagon.

^ Well to be fair, she was part of the original group that did it first...

Navi (the MJ impersonator) is going to play MJ in this.
It's said that filming will begin next month.

I hope it ends up good, but If it ends up bad I'm glad it's just a lifetime movie.
I doubt people will pay much attention to it years or even months after it's release considering it's not a big project or anything like that.

Overall I'm pretty meh on the whole thing, and probably won't be tuning in myself, but I'll come here for all the info I need.:lol:

Last edited:

^ For real?
is there an article or something we could read? .. that's interesting!

^ For real?
is there an article or something we could read? .. that's interesting!

Michael Jackson Getting the Lifetime Movie Treatment Based on Bodyguard's Account of His Final Days

by CHRIS HARNICK | Fri, Jan 13, 2017 1:30 PM

Michael Jackson is getting the Lifetime movie treatment. Lifetime announced Michael Jackson: Searching for Neverland (working title), a new flick based on the best-selling book Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days. The movie is told through the eyes of Jacksons trusted bodyguards, Bill Whitfield and Javon Beard.

Navi, who Lifetime calls the world's No. 1 Michael Jackson tribute artist will star as the King of Pop. This is his acting debut. The Walking Dead's Chad L. Coleman will play Whitfield.

Filming is expected to begin in Los Angeles in February.

Suzanne de Passe, who also worked on The Jacksons: An American Dream, will executive produce with Madison Jones and Robert Teitel. Dianne Houston is directing a script from Beauty Shop's Elizabeth Hunter.

Navi and Jackson crossed paths before. According to his official site, Navi was previously used by Jackson to promote concerts and albums or as a decoy with the press.

Michael Jackson has been in the news lately thanks to Urban Myths, a Sky series that was to feature an installment with Joseph Fiennes playing Jackson alongside Brian Cox as Marlon Brando and Stockard Channing as Elizabeth Taylor. The story behind Elizabeth, Michael and Marlon? A rumored road trip the three stars took after the September 11 terrorist attacks, attempting to get from New York City to Los Angeles. Following public outcry from Jackson's family, Sky has canceled the TV movie.
"We have taken the decision not to broadcast Elizabeth, Michael and Marlon, a half hour episode from the Sky Arts Urban Myths series, in light of the concerns expressed by Michael Jackson's immediate family," the network said in a statement. "We set out to take a light-hearted look at reportedly true events and never intended to cause any offence. Joseph Fiennes fully supports our decision."

Lifetime's Michael Jackson flick is just the latest in its series of movies based on pop stars. Britney Ever After, the Britney Spears movie, is coming in February and previous movies have focused on Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton and Aaliyah.

Does anyone know how good or bad Lifetime's track record is when it comes to celeb biopics?
Do they do a good job, a cringeworthy job, or somewhere in between?

It's all over......it's really all over....the entertainment/recording industry is finished

Back