Article about Michael's performance of I Shot The Sheriff.

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
Michael Jackson’s “I Shot the Sheriff” Matches the Quality of His Greatest Hits

By Izaia BullockOn April 13, 2017

In every era, there are special artists who can make people sing their songs, dance to their music and pay to see them perform. In this era, we have artists like Beyoncé, Drake, Rihanna, Taylor Swift, Chris Brown, J. Cole and many more, but nobody will ever rock a stage like Michael Jackson did.
Michael Jackson is known for his great performances and songs such as: “Thriller,” “Billie Jean,” “Beat It,” “Smooth Criminal” and so many more. However, Jackson’s “I Shot the Sheriff” is highly underrated. It was released in 1977 and six of the eight Jacksons were in the video. This video was not highly televised but it ended up on YouTube and it is fantastic. In the video, Jackson is dressed like a cowboy along with his supporting cast, and the setting is in an old, early 1900’s western bar.
At the beginning of the video, Jackson kicks open swinging doors and enters the bar and a guy falls out of his chair. The bartender stares at Jackson with his eyes wide open, as if he were shocked. Then Jackson dances with the people in the background while singing, “The Cisco kid was a friend of mine.” Soon after, Jackson sings, “He drink whiskey, Poncho drink the wine,” then proceeds to walk over to the bar and has a shot of whiskey, singing all of the lyrics from the song.
Afterwards, the sheriff walks into the bar and separates Jackson from a women he was dancing with. They slowly separate from one another while holding their waist as if they are about to have a shootout; while people in the bar scream and run off frantically. As the scene continues, Jackson and the sheriff both pull their guns from their holsters, firing at each other but Jackson shoots first and kills the sheriff and proceeds to sing, “I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot no deputy. I shot the sheriff, but I swear it was in self-defense.” While MJ is singing he is busting some of the sweetest dance moves that you would see anyone perform after shooting a sheriff.
Jackson and others proceed to dance and the video ends with Jackson spinning his way into the middle with his arms stretched and that I show the video ends. While watching this I noticed that one of today’s top pop stars Bruno Mars copies some of Jackson’s style and moves. In Bruno Mars’ song ‘24k’, some of the dance moves are similar to Jackson’s in this video. Many fans watch MJ perform some of his top songs repeatedly but the most underrated performances are usually the best ones. I highly suggest you go on YouTube and watch, “I Shot the Sheriff.”

Here's a link to the article.
http://www.quovadisnewspaper.com/news/view.php/1028651/Michael-Jacksons-I-Shot-the-Sheriff-Matc

an article in 2017 written about that? shoooot.. I'll take it :)

That made my mouth fall open. Astounded that someone is watching a dance routine from the variety show AND writing an article about it.
I hope that means a lot of people have discovered or will discover those shows. All of those musical numbers were fantastic. I have a real soft spot for that show-I really loved it.

The writer appears to think this was a standalone promo video 'released' in 1977.

I think it's important to note that it was just another musical number from the Jacksons television show.

The writer appears to think this was a standalone promo video 'released' in 1977.

I think it's important to note that it was just another musical number from the Jacksons television show.
Well, that's to be expected since some people upload J5/Jacksons music to Youtube and label it as Michael Jackson, and not credit the group. I remember there was someone who uploaded entire Jackson 5 & Jacksons albums, leave off the songs that had leads by one of the other brothers, and labeled them as Michael Jackson albums. There's songs by other singers that are credited to Mike too, and the name of the act who released the song is nowhere to be seen. But I've seen this with other acts too, like Genesis songs labeled as Phil Collins. Here's an example. The writer might have seen the 1st video.

Well, now that she knows (and it's in the comments of her article), maybe she'll look at other great routines and review them. Better yet, other people will start watching these and appreciate the greatness of them.

Well, that's to be expected since some people upload J5/Jacksons music to Youtube and label it as Michael Jackson, and not credit the group.

I don't see how that changes where the footage originates from. Or negates the journalist's responsibilities.

I don't see how that changes where the footage originates from. Or negates the journalist's responsibilities.
What's that? I've seen TV shows like The View sometimes show old clips from TV programs, and puts Youtube as the source. I don't think the some of the media in general is going to bother to figure out where a clip comes from if the poster doesn't put up the info, especially if it's fairly obscure like this clip is. Maybe the media in your country is different, but not in the US. If researching something was that important, Fox News and some of the AM radio talk shows wouldn't exist. :hysterical:

What's that? I've seen TV shows like The View sometimes show old clips from TV programs, and puts Youtube as the source. I don't think the some of the media in general is going to bother to figure out where a clip comes from if the poster doesn't put up the info, especially if it's fairly obscure like this clip is. Maybe the media in your country is different, but not in the US. If researching something was that important, Fox News and some of the AM radio talk shows wouldn't exist. :hysterical:

It's one thing to credit a source on television as 'YouTube' but another to publish a written article giving a detailed account of the footage without bothering to find out where it came from.

music videos

It's one thing to credit a source on television as 'YouTube' but another to publish a written article giving a detailed account of the footage without bothering to find out where it came from.
If the writer thinks it's a music video, why would he or she consider looking for a source? Videos existed long before MTV and there's not really anything in the clip that indicates that it's from a TV show. It kind of looks like a video, because if it was from a show like Soul Train or American Bandstand, it would just be a performance without the set and extra people. The writer is probably young, maybe not long out of high school, because this looks like a college newspaper. So the writer might not be aware of 1970s variety TV shows. College newspapers are mostly read by students going there and not by the general public. The writers are usually the students and this kind of paper doesn't really need to go that in depth about an entertainment piece anyway.

Re: music videos

If the writer thinks it's a music video, why would he or she consider looking for a source? Videos existed long before MTV and there's not really anything in the clip that indicates that it's from a TV show. It kind of looks like a video, because if it was from a show like Soul Train or American Bandstand, it would just be a performance without the set and extra people. The writer is probably young, maybe not long out of high school, because this looks like a college newspaper. So the writer might not be aware of 1970s variety TV shows. College newspapers are mostly read by students going there and not by the general public. The writers are usually the students and this kind of paper doesn't really need to go that in depth about an entertainment piece anyway.
That's the way I took it-definitely young and not a real journalist-maybe a blogger or something. Didn't think about a student, but that's a real possibility and more than likely.

I did laugh out loud when she wrote that it was "released in the 70's" and realized she didn't realize it was one of many brilliant dance routines they did back then.

Re: music videos

I remember when I studied journalism and my tutors said 'hey you're young and nobody is going to read anything you write at this point so just make it up, don't waste your time researching' LOL

Back