Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

I can't wait to hear the songs and make my own impressions.

I hope we will get the single soon.

The cd is not 30 minutes!!! It is probably around 35-40 minutes. We know that Slave To The Rhythm is 5:06 and Xscape around 4:40.

Also she has personal taste. She didn't like Chicago - everyone else did.
One reporter in UK didn't like Blue Gangsta - she did.
Many praised LNFSG, she didn't like it.

It's only her opinion.

Reviewing the last three pages:

- The album is short. I would always prefer more, but as other folks here have said, it would be better to have eight incredible songs than twelve terrible songs.
- Do You Know as a single is a so-so situation. It's the strongest song on the album, but it will undoubtedly garner negative criticism, whether or not the estate outlines when it was recorded and how it has no connection to the Chandler case. And as I've said before, I would like for this release to go as controversy-free as humanly possible.
- When the album drops, at least give the new mixes a chance. Just because Michael did it doesn't automatically mean it's the best version.

They couldn't do a three disc?
They sould release at first an additional(aka deluxe edtion) to MICHAEL. I feel cheated by Sony/Estate since I bought the cd. The cd doesn't contain any music of MJs - just remixes & [...]

hoping for studio footage from Darkchild's archive (that does exist) + a short film for a place with no name (western themed)

It will most likely be the video of the first single (like they do it with other artists if a dvd is included) or if there is no video, the commercials and some kind of making of-featurette. (just me speculating)

you make a valid point, but most people never buy two items so i see it as a smart move that they are including the dvd in the combo pack of the deluxe version!

Well people that don't want the DVD sure won't buy it, but people that do - will. Any deluxe package is presumably aimed at more of a fan market than an everyday punter market. And anyway, they're already issuing two products, so I don't get your two items point.

You 're right. But the cost for a 3 disc set would probably be higher for them.

The cost to make one or for fans to buy? So ditch the DVD? We don't even know what's supposed to be on it so I find it odd that you're advocates for its inclusion. Can you imagine if Michael made his music whilst worrying about how he needed to put a bonus DVD with his album. Laughable.

That would not be a smart move. Wouldn't that mean that a stand alone dvd would charter on it's own? Seperated from the orginal album?

So you're suggesting that a lot of people are buying the album ONLY for, or primarily for, the DVD? Which nobody even knows the content of!

You've all completely missed the point.

I bet the album will be fantastic. Not every review is going to be great. One thing to remember this is Mj so when one reviews songs they are being overly critical. I don't believe that is negative at all. Remember they are comparing to his other works or albums. When comparing these songs to the past releases they are using Mj standards. Just because they may say they are weak dose not mean they are not good. I'm sure they are better than anything on the radio now days. This is Mj so there is a very high standard in regards to releases. That's a good thing,cuz nobody compares to his work. Try not to hang on everyone's word, they are just getting a first listen. Sometimes song grow on you after multiple listens, I know they do for me. Don't worry this is MJs year,this album will be the biggest seller in years. Can't wait to hear some songs on the radio, that's what I'm looking forward to most. It will be a time when it's cool to like him again...even the haters will listen.

so 3 weak songs - then 4 top songs = great songs - and Xscape ends the album right? - So that's a weak song too. = 4 great songs and 4 average songs.

Well, according to this person's taste.

Releasing a stand alone disc by no means is worth it. I can pretty much promise it won't do well; a majority of casual fans, at least those I know on a personal level, didn't give a damn about Wembley, which is a concert performance. (And no, they had no idea about the VHS situation until I told them.) Why would anyone care now? Exactly - they won't.

Release the DVD with the deluxe version. That's the best bet.

NEWS (mainly just confirmation of old information)

Listening to Journalists in Germany (
translated from: https://twitter.com/das_Janchen)

- 8 Tracks, first 3 songs are not that great as the next 4 tracks are (They are TOP)!
- Slightly overproduced
- Song "Xscape" is one of weaker tracks on the Album

- Sony doesn't give any title-list to the journalists
- Journalists are not allowed to write about the album until few days before release-date
- Radio-Journalists are not allowed to say anything about how the new Tracks sound
- The total duration of the Tracks is about half an hour (8 Tracks)
- There are NO Featurings within this 8 newly produced Tracks! All SOLO MJ!

The bombs are in the middle of the Disc:
- Slave to the Rhythm is #5
- Blue Gangster #6

- XScape is the last Track #8

EDIT: I see its just a double-post

What is "top" and what is "average" comes down to personal taste. For example, here Blue Gangsta is named as one of the top songs, while some of the English reviews called it one of the weaker tracks.

Releasing a stand alone disc by no means is worth it. I can pretty much promise it won't do well; a majority of casual fans, at least those I know on a personal level, didn't give a damn about Wembley, which is a concert performance. (And no, they had no idea about the VHS situation until I told them.) Why would anyone care now? Exactly - they won't.

Release the DVD with the deluxe version. That's the best bet.

You've missed the point. Without knowing what the DVD is, you're reasoning that it's inclusion is more valuable than more songs.

You know, we're talking about Michael Jackson here. The musician.

And your argument rests entirely around the commercial aspect. While I agree that's important, it's also important to give people a product of substance and worth that doesn't necessarily ring ching ching in your ears.

ALSO - do you think singles will only be digital or will we be able to buy physical singles too?

AND finally - if the single is released on iTunes will we get more versions of the song? - Like old demos had a b-side etc. - Maybe STTR is released on a single with 4 tracks - the album (new) version, 2 remix and the original demo?

There were two physical singles from the Michael album. I bought Hold my Hand in a music shop. If I remember correctly, Hollywood Tonight was harder to get. The era of physical singles is nearing it's end, they're just too expensive to compete with digital singles. I'm not sure whether there will be physical singles this time.
The Hollywood Tonight CD was rather unimpressing, it had the song and some dance-remixes. Hold my Hand had an alternate version that was rather close to the album version.

Well people that don't want the DVD sure won't buy it, but people that do - will. Any deluxe package is presumably aimed at more of a fan market than an everyday punter market. And anyway, they're already issuing two products, so I don't get your two items point.

The cost to make one or for fans to buy? So ditch the DVD? We don't even know what's supposed to be on it so I find it odd that you're advocates for its inclusion. Can you imagine if Michael made his music whilst worrying about how he needed to put a bonus DVD with his album. Laughable.

So you're suggesting that a lot of people are buying the album ONLY for, or primarily for, the DVD? Which nobody even knows the content of!

You've all completely missed the point.

You've missed my point as well. Why have a DVD as a stand alone when it can conveniently fit in the 2 disc format they are aiming for? presumably it would be something like this.

Original version 8 songs. 1CD
Deluxe version 8, (or 16 if they include remixes) songs [Originals). 1 CD
Stand Alone DVD version [?] . 1 DVD

That is just to excessive and completely unnecessary. Not to mention that sales from a DVD standalone will not be counted towards album sales.

Both, more costs for us and them. But it's not like we can decide anything.

I'm thankful we get the album. But the fan in me would of course say make it at least 12 tracks (both versions = 24) and release an additional gift set including even more extras and blu-ray.

You've missed the point. Without knowing what the DVD is, you're reasoning that it's inclusion is more valuable than more songs.

You know, we're talking about Michael Jackson here. The musician.

And your argument rests entirely around the commercial aspect. While I agree that's important, it's also important to give people a product of substance and worth that doesn't necessarily ring ching ching in your ears.

I'm aware of that. But we're also in 2014. Where music and music DVDs are substantially less popular than they were back when Michael was at his peak commercially + a time where Michael is not the biggest money maker and is only recently been given the VIP treatment as far as promotion goes.

And I guarantee I know what will be on the DVD: a making-of featurette and the two bonus videos. What else is there going to be? If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but for now that's the best option.

Fans are directed towards the album. Putting out that plus a bonus DVD is a waste of money, because very few people will pick up both.

I'm aware of that. But we're also in 2014. Where music and music DVDs are substantially less popular than they were back when Michael was at his peak commercially + a time where Michael is not the biggest money maker and is only recently been given the VIP treatment as far as promotion goes.

And I guarantee I know what will be on the DVD: a making-of featurette and the two bonus videos. What else is there going to be? If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but for now that's the best option.

Fans are directed towards the album. Putting out that plus a bonus DVD is a waste of money, because very few people will pick up both.

I Agree with you on this Alwaysthere. I mean if they can fit a lot of videos on the DVD disc i don't see any reason why it should be separated as a stand alone. It also looks better from a commercial point of view. Deluxe version with original demos + a DVD all in the same package, instead of first buying the CD then buying the DVD as separate entities.

You've missed my point as well. Why have a DVD as a stand alone when it can conveniently fit in the 2 disc format they are aiming for?

Because you've just removed 4 songs and knocked 20 minutes off the album making it notably a very short album. Bordering on EP.

I've not missed your point at all. This stems from the point that was made that they couldn't make a two disc version (with disc two as Michael's demos) BECAUSE they HAD to put a DVD as the 2nd disc.

All along when fans were anticipating this album, the overwhelming request was for a two-disc version where one disc had Michael's songs untouched. Now since the announcement, there's a lot of people who don't want that anymore because they're getting a DVD. DESPITE no one knowing what value that DVD actually adds.

I appreciate that in this deluxe version we're getting the new versions, the old versions AND a DVD of unknown content - which is great. Everyone's happy. All I was answering was the point that stated they simply couldn't have made a longer album BECAUSE of the unknown DVD. That's garbage.

I don't understand your obsession with a DVD being counted separately. You're suggesting that the bonus DVD will be in content value equal to or greater than the album itself and that without it being included it will harm sales of the album! You can't possibly know that until we know the nature of the DVD. It might just have 2 videos and a short featurette? Frankly if that were the case I'd rather have 4 more songs.

I certainly wouldn't buy a standalone DVD where that was the content, no. So how can you justify that it's inclusion is more important than more Michael Jackson music?! This is what I don't get.

Repost

I have a - maybe stupid - question...

When they first single is released will we then get an announcement first - or will it all of a sudden just be available on iTunes?

ALSO - do you think singles will only be digital or will we be able to buy physical singles too?

AND finally - if the single is released on iTunes will we get more versions of the song? - Like old demos had a b-side etc. - Maybe STTR is released on a single with 4 tracks - the album (new) version, 2 remix and the original demo?

Or how do you think they will release singles? - I only ever buy MJ singles - and the industry has changed since Michael. - And to be honest I can't really remember how it went down back then...:lol:

Will singles be on spotify you think? - and would it be smart? Maybe the first single should be on spotify just for the promotion and make people aware that a new MJ album is on the way??

If we bow down to these idiotic reactions and shy away from releasing a great song just because of fears like this, then haters already won.

And if Do You Know Where Your Children Are is not released out of fear of what some people will say then wouldn't that look like we got something to hide? It would seem a lot more sinister to keep the song swept under the rug and not release it than it would be to release it.

Because you've just removed 4 songs and knocked 20 minutes off the album making it notably a very short album. Bordering on EP.

I've not missed your point at all. This stems from the point that was made that they couldn't make a two disc version (with disc two as Michael's demos) BECAUSE they HAD to put a DVD as the 2nd disc.

All along when fans were anticipating this album, the overwhelming request was for a two-disc version where one disc had Michael's songs untouched. Now since the announcement, there's a lot of people who don't want that anymore because they're getting a DVD. DESPITE no one knowing what value that DVD actually adds.

I appreciate that in this deluxe version we're getting the new versions, the old versions AND a DVD of unknown content - which is great. Everyone's happy. All I was answering was the point that stated they simply couldn't have made a longer album BECAUSE of the unknown DVD. That's garbage.

I don't understand your obsession with a DVD being counted separately. You're suggesting that the bonus DVD will be in content value equal to or greater than the album itself and that without it being included it will harm sales of the album! You can't possibly know that until we know the nature of the DVD. It might just have 2 videos and a short featurette? Frankly if that were the case I'd rather have 4 more songs.

Your issue is not about whether we should have a stand alone or not, it is about the lack of songs to make a complete LP. I wish too we could have more songs but that's not gonna happen. IF the album had more songs then it would be more sensible to put out a 3rd disc and maybe make it a stand alone, yes. But your arguing point is coming from a hypothetical place, " If we had 2 discs, 1 with remixes and 1 with original" You can't negate the fact that right now you're preaching about a 3rd disc stand alone while the other 2 disc's will only contain of 8 songs. Not only would that be a colossal waste of CD time but a robbery for the consumers.

I do agree with you that we cannot argue about the DVD until someone ascertains the content of the DVD, but wasn't it said that there would be 2 videos? Then there is from where we can draw our conclusions. Here is my gist with the DVD ordeal. Have you seen sales for music based DVD's? I mean comeon, CD and DVD sales are dwindling and crumbling as we speak. Having one package that you can promote and focus on is better than having a package + a stand alone DVD the side. after all this is not a DVD release this is a CD release. If they can kill two birds with one stone including a DVD in a deluxe package then that's great. But going through with making a separate DVD for an CD is unnecessary IMO. Especially under these circumstances

I bet the DVD is Bad world tour in New York 1988.....

So many news sites posting the full version of xscape but the old leaked version, that brings much confusion to the main public. we need to stop that!

Let's be HAPPY!! New MJ album on its way :)

what if that DVD was actually the Footage Rodney Jerkins and his Brother were talking about all the time (i read a lot of tweets and saw a lot of videos of jerkins praising his video footage of the invincible sessions) :big_boss:

So many news sites posting the full version of xscape but the old leaked version, that brings much confusion to the main public. we need to stop that!

it is even worse - some post and praise the JB version of Slave

what if that DVD was actually the Footage Rodney Jerkins and his Brother were talking about all the time (i read a lot of tweets and saw a lot of videos of jerkins praising his video footage of the invincible sessions) :big_boss:

that would be the best case scenario for sure.. i would think it could be included as part of a making of featurette for the album and possibly bonus footage or a montage of Michael & darkchild in the studio whilst originally working on Xscape! anything is possible, of course nothing is confirmed right now.

Your issue is not about whether we should have a stand alone or not, it is about the lack of songs to make a complete LP. I wish too we could have more songs but that's not gonna happen. IF the album had more songs then it would be more sensible to put out a 3rd disc and maybe make it a stand alone, yes. But your arguing point is coming from a hypothetical place, " If we had 2 discs, 1 with remixes and 1 with original" You can't negate the fact that right now you're preaching about a 3rd disc stand alone while the other 2 disc's will only contain of 8 songs. Not only would that be a colossal waste of CD time but a robbery for the consumers.

I'm NOT saying there SHOULD be a standalone. Oh my god this is so difficult. I'll highlight one quote for you, with my reply after it...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Xscape2041

Yeah it's short. But on the other side, it's unlikely they could have fitted let's say 10 new versions and 10 originals on one disc. 2 discs was not an option, since disc 2 seems to be a dvd.

They couldn't do a three disc? Why does there NEED to be a DVD? Couldn't the DVD be released as a standalone if it contained footage that HAD to be released?

I'll draw your particular attention to this one statement made by Xscape2041: 2 discs was not an option, since disc 2 seems to be a dvd.

And then, see my reply showing 'options' of which Xscape2041 claimed there were none.

I'm not saying what they SHOULD have done, I'm saying what COULD be done to facilitate a longer album in that scenario.

To directly address your post, I'm NOT saying the DVD should be separated from the album in it's current form. This stemmed from a discussion about the album length. All I suggested was that IF the album was longer, AND the DVD deemed ABSOLUTELY necessary to be released then it should NOT stand in the way of more songs. Songs should not be culled in favour of a DVD.

I've not addressed the remainder of your most recent post as it's entirely irrelevant to the original point I made.

I won't post further on this particular discussion.

I'm NOT saying there SHOULD be a standalone. Oh my god this is so difficult. I'll highlight one quote for you, with my reply after it...

I'll draw your particular attention to this one statement made by Xscape2041: 2 discs was not an option, since disc 2 seems to be a dvd.

And then, see my reply showing 'options' of which Xscape2041 claimed there were none.

I'm not saying what they SHOULD have done, I'm saying what COULD be done to facilitate a longer album in that scenario.

To directly address your post, I'm NOT saying the DVD should be separated from the album in it's current form. This stemmed from a discussion about the album length. All I suggested was that IF the album was longer, AND the DVD deemed ABSOLUTELY necessary to be released then it should NOT stand in the way of more songs. Songs should not be culled in favour of a DVD.

I've not addressed the remainder of your most recent post as it's entirely irrelevant to the original point I made.

I won't post further on this particular discussion.

Then my apologies sir. Just reading what Xscape2041 said and i personally don't believe that they opted for a conjunction of both remixes and the originals just so they could attach a DVD on it, (esp when it only has two videos on it). As I said in my previous post, indeed if the album was longer then a 3rd disc would probably be the only sensible route to go. But yeah, if the album was longer..

Back