BAD 25 - 2012 - General Discussion [Closed] please cont. discussion in BAD25 Announcement thread

• Thread starter Dangerous Incorporated
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
More News on the Pepsi promotion From the BAd 25 News only thread
From The Wall Street Journal

Bubs;3632369 said:
Pepsi brings back Michael Jackson in ads

NEW YORK — PepsiCo Inc. is going on a reunion tour with The King of Pop.

The Purchase, N.Y.-based company on Thursday is announcing its deal with the estate of Michael Jackson to use the late pop star's image for its new global marketing push. The nature of the promotion will vary by country, but will include a TV ad, special edition cans bearing Jackson's image and chances to download remixes of some of Jackson's most famous songs.

Pepsi, which first partnered with Jackson in 1983, did not disclose the terms of its deal with the singer's estate.

The promotion is part of a global marketing blitz planned for the year ahead by Pepsi, which is looking to revive its brand and win back market share from The Coca-Cola Co. Next week, Pepsi is also launching a TV ad featuring singer Nicki Minaj and announcing details of its partnership with Twitter to stream concerts online.

Brad Jakeman, Pepsi's chief creative officer, says the broader "Live For Now" campaign was developed over the past 10 months and is intended to amplify the company's longstanding ties with pop culture.

Pepsi has a lot riding on its new push. Although the company has a diverse portfolio of brands including Frito-Lay, Quaker Oats and Tropicana, it's often judged by the performance of its namesake cola. And in 2010, Pepsi was knocked out of the No. 2 spot among sodas in the U.S. by Diet Coke, with Coke remaining in the No. 1 position, according to the industry tracker Beverage Digest.

Last month, Pepsi also reported that volume in its key Americas beverages unit slipped by 1 percent in the first three months of the year.

The Jackson promotion is one aspect of Pepsi's strategy to reverse that slide. Consumers in the U.S. and China will be the first to get a taste of the campaign in coming weeks, which is timed to coincide with the 25th anniversary of "Bad," the singer's multiplatinum album. The campaign will spread to about two dozen countries by fall.

In the U.S., the company is rolling out collectible 16-ounce blue cans that bear an image of Jackson striking one of his iconic poses. Consumers will be able to scan codes on the cans with their phones to download remixed tracks from "Bad."

In the Chinese market, consumers will also see a TV ad featuring Jackson. Contests will also let consumers win tickets to a Michael Jackson-inspired show by Cirque du Soleil and leather jackets inspired by the singer's style. The global campaign builds on Pepsi's deal with the singer's estate last year to use his image in a commercial that premiered during the "The X Factor" TV show last year.

Although Pepsi is banking on the nostalgia Jackson can evoke, the partnership also resurrects painful memories.

In 1984, Jackson's hair famously caught fire while filming a commercial for Pepsi at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. The blaze happened after a spark from a pyrotechnics display landed on the singer's head. Jackson suffered severe burns and many trace his addiction to painkillers to the incident. Pepsi gave Jackson $1.5 million as a result.

Other music partnerships have led to controversy for Pepsi as well. In 2002, conservative commentator Bill O'Reilly ran a segment criticizing Pepsi for an ad featuring the rapper Ludacris. The company pulled the ad the next day, but ran into trouble a few months later when it ran ads featuring Ozzy Osbourne, who is known for peppering his speech with swear words. Hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons urged a boycott and the issue was resolved after Pepsi agreed to donate $3 million to charity.

The partnership with Nicki Minaj hasn't yet raised many eyebrows, even though her lyrics also contain profanity and sexual content. Jakeman noted that Minaj's song "Moment for Life" was selected for the ad campaign because of specific lyrics that perfectly captured the Pepsi ethos of living in the moment.

At a time when Pepsi is looking to take on a bigger rival, another stanza in the song might have relevance as well: "In this very moment I slay Goliath with a sling...And I will retire with the crown."

It's a message Pepsi could very well be sending to Coke.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APed5df7f7487a4b59a9e6531dd5735631.html

Re: BAD 25 - 2012 - Official Discussion Thread

"The campaign will spread to about two dozen countries by fall." Hope the cans will be available here in Croatia.

Hope the TV commerical will actually include the real MJ (and not Bucharest)

So who was performing at Bucharest .. Navi ?? :lol:

Re: BAD 25 - 2012 - General Discussion Thread

I've always said that I don't mind remixes....I don't prefer the style of those 3 DJs, but I am willing to see what they've got ;)...They're working with some of the most melodic music ever made, so I'm actually looking forward to seeing what they can do :D

And I agree, I don't think boycotting is the answer...:scratch:They're just free remixes akin to getting a free toy in a cereal box :D...I just don't think they should be included in the album...

Pepsi Header and US Can

KOP+HEADER1+FINAL.jpg

Pepsi+MJ+Can+U.S.+Wet+FINAL.jpg

https://plus.google.com/116531126913606359895/posts/cv5RdfLteHJ

I just want to say that Skrillex has won 3 Grammy awards this year. He might not be your or my taste but he's not some random no name guy and apparently his music isn't considered "crappy" in the electronic dance music area.

2012 Grammy

Nominated work Award Result
Himself Best New Artist Nominated
"Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" Best Dance Recording Won
Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites Best Dance/Electronica Album Won
"Cinema (Skrillex Remix)" Best Remixed Recording Won
"First of the Year (Equinox)" Best Short Form Music Video Nominated

Oh please, the Grammys are a joke these days...

Pepsi Press Release

Michael's Iconic Image to Be Featured on One Billion Pepsi Cans in More than 20 Countries; China is First Market to Launch

Celebrates 25th Anniversary of Michael Jackson's Multi-platinum Album, BAD

PURCHASE, N.Y., May 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Pepsi today announced an exclusive global partnership with the Estate of Michael Jackson as part of its new "Live for Now" campaign, which Pepsi fans around the world will experience in a variety of ways including an engaging retail campaign featuring one billion special edition Michael Jackson Bad 25 Pepsi cans, iconic music, epic live events and opportunities for fans to access special edition merchandise.

The partnership coincides with the 25th anniversary of Jackson's multi-platinum BAD album and record-breaking tour, around which the Michael Jackson Estate and Sony Music have celebratory projects underway.

To celebrate Jackson's incredible contribution to pop music, Pepsi, Sony Music and the Estate of Michael Jackson have teamed up to share new mixes of legendary Michael Jackson music from the BAD album with fans around the world, proving that the King of Pop is not only the world's most iconic artist from the 20th century but also influencing music in the 21st century as well.

Brad Jakeman, president, Global Enjoyment Brands, and chief creative officer, PepsiCo Global Beverages Group, said, "Pepsi has always been at the forefront of pop culture, helping to shape the music landscape. This unique global partnership, around such a legendary music milestone, invites Pepsi fans from around the world to experience Michael Jackson's music in an engaging and very NOW kind of way – it's a model example of how Pepsi's 'Live for Now' campaign can manifest itself in a way that resonates the world over."

Pepsi will feature iconic silhouette imagery of the King of Pop on cans with the launch of collectible limited edition can designs. Pepsi will also run contests in markets around the world giving fans the opportunity to win merchandise including, a limited number of jackets inspired by the original staff BAD tour jackets and tickets to Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour by Cirque du Soleil, the #1 touring show in North America.

"We are thrilled to bring Michael and Pepsi back together, as they were in 1988, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the BAD album and tour and to put Michael on one billion Pepsi cans – perhaps a Guinness record," commented John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson. Branca and McClain added, "We're excited to see it all come to life."

China and the United States will be among the first Pepsi markets to launch the exclusive Michael Jackson King of Pop activity in 2012, with approximately 20 additional markets in Asia, South America and Europe continuing the international roll-out throughout the rest of the year.

On May 5 in China, a 330ml limited edition can will be available at retail locations nationwide. In addition, from May 15 - June 14, 2012, fans will be encouraged to share photos of their valuable Jackson collections or original artwork celebrating him, for a chance to win tickets to Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour by Cirque du Soleil, as part of China's "In Honor of King of Pop MJ" promotion.

Later in May, the U.S. will launch a nationwide retail campaign including a limited edition 16oz. King of Pop Pepsi can, as well as initiate a retail, music-themed promotion.

Frank Cooper, chief marketing officer, Global Consumer Engagement, PepsiCo added, "Michael Jackson will always be the King of Pop, and his music has always inspired fans and artists alike. But, this partnership goes beyond nostalgia and will engage with consumers all around the world with iconic imagery on more than one billion Pepsi cans, digital content and epic, live events, so that they can continue to connect with Jackson's music and honor his legendary impact on entertainment."

Michael Jackson has a long standing relationship with Pepsi spanning more than 25 years. The legendary King of Pop starred in his first Pepsi campaign alongside his brothers in 1983, as part of the Pepsi 'New Generation' campaign followed by Pepsi's sponsorship of the epic BAD Tour and the iconic "Chase" commercials which served as the impetus for the current reunion. Pepsi also featured Jackson in the 'Music Icons' commercial that premiered during The X Factor in 2011.

Pepsi's new "Live for Now" campaign is a culmination of extensive global research demonstrating Pepsi fans' desire to capture the excitement of now and live each moment to the fullest. First launched in the U.S. last month, "Live for Now" will come to life through a breadth of global, pop-culture platforms, events and unique partnerships and will begin to roll out globally throughout 2012.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-the-estate-of-michael-jackson-149984955.html

"Original staff BAD tour jackets" :wild:

I like the BAD towels that we see Michael using in some footage, that'd be cool to have :lol:

Wow, I love the Pepsi header. What's it being used for?

1 BILLION CANS!! Plus 20 additional countries! This deal must be very lucrative for the estate.

I'm starting to wonder if the nice lady at Britvic (they manufacture and sell Pepsi in the UK) was mistaken when she told me the UK would NOT be receiving these cans. This is a massive promotion so I'll be gutted if they're not going to be sold here. And very surprised. The only logical reason I can think of for them NOT selling them in the UK is because the olympics are going to be here...

I can assure you there will be No Boycotts of BAD25 promoted or called out on MJJC.
So fans here can rest easy. The Meir mention of it in this thread based on speculation of free mixes Pepsi is promoting was uncalled for and totally unnecessary IMO - and If I had the power. I would BAN that word from this board. If you don't like the free mixes don't download them its that simple. If you don't like a remix or song on BAD 25 don't buy it or don't listen to that track . You personal opinion of a track doesn't not call for a boycott or even the mention of one.

The Album doesn't just belong just to you personally . It belongs to the world and it will be marketed to the world. (especially the youth by Pepsi) with the fans wishes also taken into consideration by the Estate. That being said I am positive dub-step remixes will NOT be on BAD25. its a free promo from Pepsi not marketed specifically to you but to the youth to bring them on-board. There are many remixes been released through the years that I find crappy or don't like and Michael's legacy has not been tainted by them. His original tunes are still in tact and will also be intact and released on the BAD 25 for all to hear. They can see and judge for themselves where the real magic came from. Lets all relax and not jump to conclusions :better:

This thread should be a celebration .. with great expectations for Michael's BAD to soar once again.
Its is my dream for that to happen. I hope you all wish for the same.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I'm glad for this post! I waited for something like that, especially the first paragraph!
Thank You again, Qbee!

I hope all the members take it by heart!

I liked the idea of remixes in Pepsi Cans. It's a nice way to not throw it on the CD, but still having it...

Got an e-mail from PEPSI BRAZIL, it seems that the campaign will get here, but no idea when...

To build on what Qbee said , pay attention to this part of the press release

"To celebrate Jackson's incredible contribution to pop music, Pepsi, Sony Music and the Estate of Michael Jackson have teamed up to share new mixes of legendary Michael Jackson music from the BAD album with fans around the world, proving that the King of Pop is not only the world's most iconic artist from the 20th century but also influencing music in the 21st century as well."

See? this is exactly what I was saying yesterday. We are not the target market for those remixes, those are being done for the new generation and to introduce them Michael in a new and current way that they like. Once their interest is raised, they can go back and listen to more songs from Michael.

And there's nothing wrong with keeping Michael current and creating a new fan base for him. We all want him to be forever eternal, right?

To build on what Qbee said , pay attention to this part of the press release

"To celebrate Jackson's incredible contribution to pop music, Pepsi, Sony Music and the Estate of Michael Jackson have teamed up to share new mixes of legendary Michael Jackson music from the BAD album with fans around the world, proving that the King of Pop is not only the world's most iconic artist from the 20th century but also influencing music in the 21st century as well."

See? this is exactly what I was saying yesterday. We are not the target market for those remixes, those are being done for the new generation and to introduce them Michael in a new and current way that they like. Once their interest is raised, they can go back and listen to more songs from Michael.

And there's nothing wrong with keeping Michael current and creating a new fan base for him. We all want him to be forever eternal, right?

Thank you for pointing that out Ivy..I think that it is wonderful that The Next Generation are being introduced to Michael...after all he is timeless and he will live on forever. I am just SSSOOOO excited for this....Sorry I just cannot seem to contain my excitement,..I have not been this happy in almost 3 years..:)

I agree Michael's original awesome BAD songs will still be on BAD 25 Album in tact and this is a great way to peak interest in the younger generation. The mixes will cause them to have interest, to buy the Album and then they will listen the originals where all the magic came from. Securing Michael new fans from this generation.

ivy;3632440 said:
Pepsi Press Release

The partnership coincides with the 25th anniversary of Jackson's multi-platinum BAD album and record-breaking tour, around which the Michael Jackson Estate and Sony Music have celebratory projects underway.

"We are thrilled to bring Michael and Pepsi back together, as they were in 1988, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the BAD album and tour and to put Michael on one billion Pepsi cans – perhaps a Guinness record," commented John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson. Branca and McClain added, "We're excited to see it all come to life."

Does this mean that we get the Bad Tour dvd?

^^ :lol:

-----------------------------

Actually, a lot of fans in this thread have pointed out that these remixes have the advantage of catching the interest of the younger generation ;)

People took my comment about a boycott seriously? Good grief. How can anyone boycott an unannounced product?

Michael on 1 billion pepsi cans? That puts a big smile on my face. I hope it comes to Canada and the whole idea is great to promote the anniversary. Michael wasn't against remixes and he was always looking at new ways to promote himself. Michael was always thinking 2 steps ahead of everybody.

I wasn't a Glee fan but I watched the episode and I thought it was well done and positive for Michael. His legacy is forever and if celebrating Bad 25 creates more fans and helps people remember how great Michael was as a performer and as a person I say bring it on. With the cirque de soleil shows going on too it only helps Michael.

I miss Michael and wish he was here to see all these plans. I just want him to be celebrated and appreciated. That is what he deserves.

MJ has always said that "if you can get the kids, you've got it"! He wanted his audience to be of all ages, including kids and he seemed to value their opinion and taste more than anyone else. That's why he kept working with young, current artists/producers. So I would say, if PEPSI and the Estate manage to get the kids then they've done a pretty good choice.

"...to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the BAD album and tour..."

We'll get Bad Tour DVD!!!

OnirMJ;3632514 said:

That got me excited!!!!!!!

Galactus123;3632461 said:
Does this mean that we get the Bad Tour dvd?

It certainly looks like it :) How else woud they celebrate the TOUR but with a DVD

We are thrilled to bring Michael and Pepsi back together, as they were in 1988, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the BAD album and tourand to put Michael on one billion Pepsi cans – perhaps a Guinness record," commented John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Estate of Michael Jackson. Branca and McClain added, "We're excited to see it all come to life."

OnirMJ;3632514 said:

KatMJ;3632516 said:
That got me excited!!!!!!!

qbee;3632517 said:
It certainly looks like it :) How else woud they celebrate the TOUR but with a DVD

earthlyme;3632519 said:
Now if we could only convince them to put BAD tour out in theaters...:happy::ninja:

L.o.v.e.
Romi

Where's Zakk? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back