Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15]

Michael can very easily like songs but simply think they were not right for him.

He was a big fan of Nine Inch Nails' Downward Spiral but can you imagine him recording that? :p

I like Pharell Williiams. His songs Get Lucky and Happy make me think of Michael. I don't understand if Michael liked his songs then why did his team turn them down?

Those songs that Pharell wrote for MJ were admittedly heavily influenced by OTW and Thriller. So for MJ to record them would have been like trying to repeat his 80s sound.

Also maybe he was just being polite? lol

I don't think any Justin Timberlake song (on that album anyway) is good enough for Michael. Too much MJ-Wannabe IMO.

The songs Pharrell Williams wrote for Michael (Senorita, Like I Love You, Last Night, Let's Take a Ride, etc) are nowhere near Michael Jackson quality. Some of them are even some of Justin Timberlake's worst songs.

I'm glad Michael never recorded a Pharrell song. I really do love his production work, but his lyrics border on sheer stupidity and he doesn't have a great sense of melody. Michael always preached that melody was incredibly important, particularly in the chorus, and Pharrell very rarely found that importance.

Maybe this situation will delay the album too :( ?

The album has nothing to do with the release of Xperia - the phone is only being used as a promotional tool. The Estate's production date won't be affected by the phone.

The songs Pharrell Williams wrote for Michael (Senorita, Like I Love You, Last Night, Let's Take a Ride, etc) are nowhere near Michael Jackson quality. Some of them are even some of Justin Timberlake's worst songs.

Like I Love You, Last Night and Let's Take a Ride are three of the best tracks on that album. To this day Justified is still Justins best album and I believe that is because of Pharrell. For me what has made his albums less appealing is the over use of Timbaland and that is my fear for this album. I don't like what I've heard of this new STTR so far because it just sounds like a boring loop, but I'll hold judgement until I hear the full song. Hopefully it will blow me away.

I'm glad Michael never recorded a Pharrell song. I really do love his production work, but his lyrics border on sheer stupidity and he doesn't have a great sense of melody. Michael always preached that melody was incredibly important, particularly in the chorus, and Pharrell very rarely found that importance.

its not like Michael just gets the track in the mail and records them. He sits with the producer and they get the best out of each other. If Michael thought things needed to be added to a song they would be added. I'd take Pharrell over Timbaland on this album any day!

Like I Love You, Last Night and Let's Take a Ride are three of the best tracks on that album. To this day Justified is still Justins best album and I believe that is because of Pharrell. For me what has made his albums less appealing is the over use of Timbaland and that is my fear for this album. I don't like what I've heard of this new STTR so far because it just sounds like a boring loop, but I'll hold judgement until I hear the full song. Hopefully it will blow me away.

its not like Michael just gets the track in the mail and records them. He sits with the producer and they get the best out of each other. If Michael thought things needed to be added to a song they would be added. I'd take Pharrell over Timbaland on this album any day!

Must say that I agree with AlwaysThere. It just comes down to personal taste in the end. I couldnt stand Justified or anything in that RnB bracket around that period. Who knows what Pharrell could have done with MJ but he's never made a song that I've really liked. As I say, its just down taste.

As I understand it, the Pharell tracks never "reached" MJ. His people dismissed them without MJ even hearing them imo.

I'd say Pharells strongest point would be melody. That is the main driving force hat makes him radio friendly.. Id say about 5 years ago, the instrument structure that he would use had weaker base licks which did not match todays sound but recently that has completely changed.. He's been improving and that's part of the reason why he's "IN" again.

Lyrically it varies to me, sometimes its up sometimes it down

Vocally, I'd like to hear him use his lower register cuz it actually sounds nice and he hardly ever ever uses it..

Non the less, Michael never worked with him for some reason(s), my guess is when he heard the demos it just did not trigger him the way the final song did..

There will always be, should of/would of/could of with MJ... (Or any artist for that matter)

As I understand it, the Pharell tracks never "reached" MJ. His people dismissed them without MJ even hearing them imo.

I'm not sure I believe that. MJ was the captain of his ship in creative/artistic decisions. He decided what he wanted to record and what he didn't, not others decided it for him. Maybe just out of "politeness" it was communicated to Pharell that it wasn't personally MJ who turned down his songs. If MJ had been really interested in Pharrel's music I'm sure he would have been on Invincible.

I have some of those songs by JT on my MP3 player but to me they got kind of boring and worn out pretty quickly, even if at first they sound enjoyable. Something I never feel with MJ songs. But of course had MJ recorded them he would have added his input in production and of course he's a much better singer than JT, so probably with MJ those songs would sound a lot better.

Really? You think MJ turned around and said, "I don't like this, but don't tell him I said that!" Then he turned around to Pharrell and said "I'd love to work with you some day". If there's one thing I've learnt is that MJ always had dodgy people around him and they're the ones that always got him in some shit, so i Pharrell said it was MJs "people" then I would believe that.

Are you smoking crack? Like I Love You, Last Night and Let's Take a Ride are three of the best tracks on that album. To this day Justified is still Justins best album and I believe that is because of Pharrell. For me what has made his albums less appealing is the over use of Timbaland and that is my fear for this album. I don't like what I've heard of this new STTR so far because it just sounds like a boring loop, but I'll hold judgement until I hear the full song. Hopefully it will blow me away.

I apologize for sharing my opinion, Jabz. Forgive me.

Justified is his worst as far as I'm concerned. Production-wise, it's as good as a new solo artist can get. But more often than not, the lyrics and melody arrangements are awful. As Justin got older he got better with melodies; FutureSex/LoveSounds is a prime example. Every single song on there has a melody that gets stuck in your head. Justified is mostly listen and forget immediately. Also, 20/20 Experience is his best. It's his first album where he did something different from pop music of the time; Justified and FutureSex each have their moments where they are sucked into boring current pop culture. 20/20 has one or two at best.

You clearly have no idea what your talking about. On top of that its not like Michael just gets the track in the mail and records them. He sits with the producer and they get the best out of each other. If Michael thought things needed to be added to a song they would be added. I'd take Pharrell over Timbaland on this album any day!

Really? You think MJ turned around and said, "I don't like this, but don't tell him I said that!" Then he turned around to Pharrell and said "I'd love to work with you some day". If there's one thing I've learnt is that MJ always had dodgy people around him and they're the ones that always got him in some shit, so i Pharrell said it was MJs "people" then I would believe that.

Quite frankly, you don't know what you're talking about.

With Pharrell's songs, I don't know why Michael rejected them. But I do know that he never once recorded with him. Michael eventually heard the songs and said he liked them, but in the end they weren't right for him.

My opinion (keep in mind opinions aren't fact) is that Pharrell should only be a producer. For the most part, his melodies are weak and his lyrics are shudderingly bad. Compare the melodies of Last Night, Nothing Else and Let's Take a Ride to Pusher Love Girl, Mirrors and Until the End of Time. Justin's music got better without Pharrell.

And to be quite honest, Timbaland is better than Pharrell. I only began feeling that way last year when 20/20 was released. Vintage production, music that hits you in the perfect way, and melodies that Pharrell wishes he could write. But again, I apologize that some of us don't share your feelings, Jabz. Let's all forget our feelings and go with yours, right?

here's a thought... not to annoy anyone but Michael never recorded any music he gave to him to our knowledge so it does not matter why/how he rejected the music.. The same thing happened to Neyo and it seems like he got a lot closer to actually getting something recorded.

Michael turned down a lot of music by a lot of artists.. you know how many will.i.am tracks Michael would have said no to before saying yes.. same with any other writer/producer..

And if Timbaland is working on MJ music now, we could never say never to pharrell not getting the opportunity to work on MJ music to some extent...

But I do know that he never once

Never said he did.

Also you stated that those songs were "some of his worst" no "IMO", or "I think". In this community, peoples statements are generally regarded as fact eg, Justin Bieber is shit, or, if its not MJ it sucks, or if MJ done it it would be way better.

My opinion (keep in mind opinions aren't fact) is that Pharrell should only be a producer. For the most part, his melodies are weak and his lyrics are shudderingly bad

And "she killed me with that coochie coochie coo" is an amazing lyric? For me the 20/20 experience has some amazing songs, such as Pusher Love Girl, Strawberry Bubblegum and suit and Tie, but as an album it felt incomplete. I don't know what this whole splitting it in half thing was, but you could mix the tracks from both sides and get rid of half of them. Also, every song just sounds so Timbaland, I'm surprised the album isn't JT and Timbaland present... It just sounds too samey.

Let's all forget our feelings and go with yours, right?

EXACTLY!!! Now we're on the same page :D

Also you stated that those songs were "some of his worst" no "IMO", or "I think". In this community, peoples statements are generally regarded as fact eg, Justin Bieber is shit, or, if its not MJ it sucks, or if MJ done it it would be way better.

Allow me to directly quote your post. You said, "Are you smoking crack? Like I Love You, Last Night and Let's Take a Ride are three of the best tracks on that album." Where did you say "in my opinion" in that sentence? You spoke as if your opinion was fact, and then yell at me when I apparently did the same.

And "she killed me with that coochie coochie coo" is an amazing lyric? For me the 20/20 experience has some amazing songs, such as Pusher Love Girl, Strawberry Bubblegum and suit and Tie, but as an album it felt incomplete. I don't know what this whole splitting it in half thing was, but you could mix the tracks from both sides and get rid of half of them. Also, every song just sounds so Timbaland, I'm surprised the album isn't JT and Timbaland present... It just sounds too samey.

I never said that Timbaland was a lyrical genius. I will freely admit that he has had his fair share of godawful lyrical choices. But go read the lyrics to Blue Ocean Floor. Those are as poetic as you'll ever hear in pop music. And Pharrell can only dream of being able to write those.

I'll admit that 20/20 did have moments that were overly long and unnecessary, but they kept you interested. Pharrell's music can't do that for me. I can't get through some of the Justified songs without getting bored, and those are only four minutes long. And I don't know what you're talking about when you say these songs sound like Timbo. I've never heard him do such nostalgic music.

No matter what anyone says, as far as I'm concerned, Timbaland is musically phenomenal, knows how to make a song sound full and is in some sense a genius. Songs like (And She Said) Take Me Now sound finished. Songs like Nothing Else and Senorita, meanwhile, have a long way to go.

I am looking forward to the new album.

Glad to see everyone in here are exited! :lol:

There's one good thing though:
The longer they take for this project to come out, the shorter will be the time gaps between the remaining 3 projects until 2017.

We only have 3 left ? What were the 4 previous projects again , just to refresh my memory. Michael album, Bad 25, upcoming 2014 album, and the last one.... ?

By the way, I hope they do a Dangerous 25th Anniversary in 2016, that includes outtakes from the album and a concert, just like Bad 25.

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

We only have 3 left ? What were the 4 previous projects again , just to refresh my memory. Michael album, Bad 25, upcoming 2014 album, and the last one.... ?

1. This Is It soundtrack
2. Vision box set
3. Michael album
4. Immortal album
5. Bad 25 box set
6. Upcoming 2014 album

They still have four more projects to do, which means they may have to squeeze two releases in one year. Personally, I think they would be better off just having the Bad 25 documentary release as its own separate project, which they may have done.

1. This Is It soundtrack
2. Vision box set
3. Michael album
4. Immortal album
5. Bad 25 box set
6. Upcoming 2014 album

They still have four more projects to do, which means they may have to squeeze two releases in one year. Personally, I think they would be better off just having the Bad 25 documentary release as its own separate project, which they may have done.

This Is It soundtrack counted as one of the projects?

So is it 7 or 10 projects til 2017 ?

This Is It soundtrack counted as one of the projects?

So is it 7 or 10 projects til 2017 ?

Yup! I don't think it should to be quite honest, but it's in the contract.

It's ten projects until 2017.

'This Is It' was retroactively included in the contract.

And don't forget 2013 release of MJ's whole back catalogue on itunes called:
'Indispensible Collection' & 'Ultimate Fan Extras Collection'
(Maybe a little project in hardcore fan eyes, but a project none the less)

So the upcoming 'new album' release is the 7th project, therefore after that, 3 more remaining until 2017.

I also hope for a nice 'DANGEROUS 25' release in 2016.

Last edited:

'This Is It' was retroactively included in the contract.

And don't forget 2013 release of MJ's whole back catalogue on itunes called:
'Indispensible Collection' & 'Ultimate Fan Extras Collection'
(Maybe a little project in hardcore fan eyes, but a project none the less)

So the upcoming 'new album' release is the 7th project, therefore after that, 3 more remaining until 2017.

I also hope for a nice 'DANGEROUS 25' release in 2016.

If so they really need to release a Blu-Ray of a never before seen concert! - I guess chances are better that they have a good qual DWT than a BWT. - Technology improved alot in the 5 years that went between the two.

IF they do a D25 it should be a 2 disc version like BAD25 with many new songs (untouched demos!) A documentary by Spike Lee would be great! (or another) and a NEW concert! - Bucharest is not worth watching really. Too many crowd shots and too much noise! (I know it was MJ who wanted fan shots so people could catch the exitement - but really it just ruined it really! - missed too much MJ time!)

D25 could be a great release - mostly for the fans, but still a great release!

If so they really need to release a Blu-Ray of a never before seen concert! - I guess chances are better that they have a good qual DWT than a BWT. - Technology improved alot in the 5 years that went between the two.

IF they do a D25 it should be a 2 disc version like BAD25 with many new songs (untouched demos!) A documentary by Spike Lee would be great! (or another) and a NEW concert! - Bucharest is not worth watching really. Too many crowd shots and too much noise! (I know it was MJ who wanted fan shots so people could catch the exitement - but really it just ruined it really! - missed too much MJ time!)

D25 could be a great release - mostly for the fans, but still a great release!

I heard rumours that they are preparing a HD version of Bucharest for release.

God I hope not, I want something new! Dangerous Tour Wembley, Munich or Tokyo in HD would be fantastic. Preferably Munich for me.

Maybe we'll bring good luck with us and a new album will be announced pretty soon :fortuneteller:

God I hope not, I want something new! Dangerous Tour Wembley, Munich or Tokyo in HD would be fantastic. Preferably Munich for me.

Maybe we'll bring good luck with us and a new album will be announced pretty soon :fortuneteller:

That sounds great but the ONLY thing is, wasnt that the date Beat It was played in the original key and Michael sang out of key for the song?? Its like the only time Ive ever heard him sing out of key

[h=2]News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15][/h]No news since we were on page 15 - now we are on page 176!! - 161 pages of nothing but us hoping for news....

Imagine when the actual anouncement comes it will be crazy!! - 161 pages when we had nothing to talk about really. - 1610 pages when we actually get something to discuss. artcover, play-list, release date, producers, etc. etc.

It will get crazy in here!! :lol:

I pray to God this is NOT true!! - If they release the same concert just on Blu-Ray it will be AWFUL!! - I will not buy that!!

[h=2]News and discussion about upcoming MJ album [Update Pg15][/h]No news since we were on page 15 - now we are on page 176!! - 161 pages of nothing but us hoping for news....

Imagine when the actual anouncement comes it will be crazy!! - 161 pages when we had nothing to talk about really. - 1610 pages when we actually get something to discuss. artcover, play-list, release date, producers, etc. etc.

It will get crazy in here!! :lol:

Can't wait for that (crazy positive excited vibe)!

:lol:

I'm pretty sure all here knows about the crazy days with a lot of new melodyes and vocals. :lol: HT demo, DIG, POTW etc. - Pretty great year to be a fan. (like every year is!!) :lol:

Back