The Will.i.am tracks [Discussion]

Are you legitimately implying that sales numbers are more important than public opinion?

Hahaha? Where did I said that or anything remotely close to that? I said completely opposite of that. I said that "music" critics ("" are because they are not that, they are lifestyle critics) are completely irrelevant and they do not represent public opinion. What I said is that the sales numbers ARE public opinion. That is a fact. And if the record is hot (and it would be) the public would buy it. So the critics criticizing the title of the song and Michael's lifestyle would become irrelevant almost immediately after the song hits the airwaves.

I can't be bothered to even discuss this post because it hurts my head to think that someone with such a closed-minded view of artistic sensibility actually exists.

I'm not even going to comment that as it comes from someone like you. A hater of parts of that same artist career.

*applauds* Oh, Onir, I can always count on you to twist my words.

Same goes for you and for the first part of your post.

Nowhere did I say the record-buying public hated Michael. But given that this was 2006, the year after Michael was acquitted for child molestation, and a GOOD PORTION of the general public was convinced that he was guilty, he should have gone the safe route and just released a normal album. No more media pandering, no more complaining. Do what he did BEST.

Re-watch (2006): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7y9aMIJG00

People wanted to hear new MJ music in 2006. Fact. If the music was good, all the "bad things" would be forgotten overnight. Including the title of the song which is completely irrelevant. Especially if the song is a hit and the context of the song is right (re-read my post about the context of the song - "No media pandering, no complaining"). I agree that people wanted to hear MJ doing what he did best and will.i.am and other hot acts from that time would definitely help him to achieve that goal.

That is simply my opinion, which I explicitly highlighted in my post. And before you go on a tangent about how I shouldn't express my opinion if you disagree with it, allow me to point out a recent post that you made in another thread about MJ *****:

Everyone on this board is allowed to complain about things we don't personally care for.

Absolutely. I respect your opinions as anyone elses here. What I don't like are the words you are using to express those opinions. Too much hateful words, always trying to diminish or bash something or someone just because you don't like that people or concert or stuff.

But of course we should hold back our criticisms, because we don't want to offend you! :)

I love your attempts to be sarcastic. :)

And if the record is hot (and it would be) the public would buy it.

Have you heard the song? No. Did you petition the entirety of the world and ask if they would be interested in buying the song had it been released? No. So this statement is immediately irrelevant. There is no way for you to be certain that "Still the King" would have been a success, considering there are plenty of excellent Michael Jackson singles that failed to crack the top 20, from Dangerous onward. Same goes for Will.i.am. You're viewing everything through rose-tinted glasses that are simply unrealistic. Just because you want it doesn't mean it shall be so.

People wanted to hear new MJ music in 2006. Fact. If the music was good, all the "bad things" would be forgotten overnight. Including the title of the song which is completely irrelevant. Especially if the song is a hit and the context of the song is right (re-read my post about the context of the song - "No media pandering, no complaining"). I agree that people wanted to hear MJ doing what he did best and will.i.am and other hot acts from that time would definitely help him to achieve that goal.

Delusional thinking. Almost every review of History you will ever come across has trouble going three sentences without taking a cheap shot at Michael, and struggled to give a legitimate analysis of the actual album. And this was in 1995 - by 2006 his reputation had deteriorated immensely. Fact. Context is irrelevant if the execution is poor. Example: most criticism for "The Lost Children" had nothing to do with the quality of the music, but rather the fact that Michael Jackson was singing a song about children, both from critics and fans alike.

Regarding the link you posted: keep in mind two things. Firstly, Michael was immediately booed after he walked off-stage because he barely sang anything; fans were screaming throughout Rihanna's performance because they demanded him to get back on stage and do something. Secondly, that is in the United Kingdom. I'm speaking particularly about the United States, where (if you didn't notice) Michael would not perform in following 2005. Every single large-scale event he held or was involved in took place overseas. You might not consider it to be a substantial matter, but if Michael failed in the United States, his hometown and the largest music market in the world, he failed everywhere.

Absolutely. I respect your opinions as anyone elses here. What I don't like are the words you are using to express those opinions. Too much hateful words, always trying to diminish or bash something or someone just because you don't like that people or concert or stuff.

I apologize that my opinion seems brass or too hateful but I am being one hundred percent honest.

I value Michael Jackson's legacy and want to see him shine for decades to come, and I do not believe that the History tour does that. I honestly cannot find any genuinely nice things to say about it because I personally consider it to be all-around horrible.

Nowhere did I say the record-buying public hated Michael. But given that this was 2006, the year after Michael was acquitted for child molestation, and a GOOD PORTION of the general public was convinced that he was guilty, he should have gone the safe route and just released a normal album. No more media pandering, no more complaining. Do what he did BEST.

I really do not agree with this. Michael had every right to vent and lash out against the media and the system through his music. He went through the most digusting trial of the century and the media did everything to turn the public against him, lied, manipulated, fabricated spread false rumors about him and the whole trial. By your logic Michael should have just released another Off The Wall instead of HIStory. And since when has Michael every taken the safe route? He's an artist and takes artistic chances and of course he was gonna use his music as a channel for whatever he was going through. IMO there is no such thing as a "Normal" album. What does that even mean?

Will.I.Am has unreleased Michael Jackson tracks.

I took out some of the article to get to the part we care about quicker.:)

If you want to read the whole thing here's a link.
http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/2016/03/22/william-has-hard-drive-full-of-unreleased-michael-jackson-whitney-houston-tracks

Will.I.Am has hard drive full of unreleased Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston tracks
WENN.COM
Tuesday, March 22, 2016 10:57:24 EDT PM

"When I work with artists, we record songs and write songs, and to get one song you have to record seven. So those other six are actually really good. Maybe there's two of them that are good, maybe there's one lingering one that just needs some touching up. So you just go through the hard drive."

The hip-hop star goes on to boast about being the producer superstars

"There's Michael Jackson folders, there's Whitney Houston folders, there's a Mariah Carey folder," will.i.am continued. "Because... I'm like, the person they call. 'We want something different, we're looking for something different, we need an international song.' So they always call... So yeah. They're just going to sit there on my hard drive. Somebody has to go through them."

will.i.am has been a coach on The Voice U.K. since its launch in 2012, and he currently sits on season five's panel of mentors alongside British singers Paloma Faith, Boy George and Ricky Wilson.

The question for me is do the tracks have vocals.:bugeyed

Last edited:
Re: Will.I.Am has unreleased Michael Jackson tracks.

I've heard they have vocals has and then I've heard that they don't have vocals. I cant be sure. I would say that will.i.am is being deliberately cryptic.

will.i.am has said before that he will not release any of the songs he did with Michael because he feels like it's disrespectful to release material that Mike didn't finish or give his own final seal of approval. He also said he might release them if and only if Katherine Jackson asks him to, which seems unlikely.

will.i.am has said before that he will not release any of the songs he did with Michael because he feels like it's disrespectful to release material that Mike didn't finish or give his own final seal of approval. He also said he might release them if and only if Katherine Jackson asks him to, which seems unlikely.

Even if he doesn't release them he could at least tell us if they have vocals. :)
I also agree with him not releasing them because MJ's estate will probably just slap the vocals of some current artist on it and ruin them. :yes:

He wanted release a song on his last album but didn`t get permission from the Estate.

So he changed his minds many times.

The fact that Will.i.am has had unreleased MJ tracks has been known for years; at one point they appeared on TV together too in the studio.

I also agree with him not releasing them because MJ's estate will probably just slap the vocals of some current artist on it and ruin them. :yes:

That's happened to 1 song out of the 25-30 new MJ songs we've gotten since he's died. Even then, we still got the original and contemporised solo version of LNFSG soooooo

The fact that Will.i.am has had unreleased MJ tracks has been known for years; at one point they appeared on TV together too in the studio.

That's happened to 1 song out of the 25-30 new MJ songs we've gotten since he's died. Even then, we still got the original and contemporised solo version of LNFSG soooooo

So?:)
I still wouldn't want them to do it again.:mello:
The only reason I can understand them doing it is because using a current artist will make younger people be more interested, but other then that I don't see the need for everyone and their mother to be featured on an MJ track.:no:

So?:)
I still wouldn't want them to do it again.:mello:
The only reason I can understand them doing it is because using a current artist will make younger people be more interested, but other then that I don't see the need for everyone and their mother to be featured on an MJ track.:no:

Yeah but you're acting like it's an extremely common occurrence (especially with the line "everyone and their mother") when it's happened precisely once.

Personally, as long as it's not overdone, the artist is good and it's handled just like it was on Xscape (that is, we get both the original and contemporised solo version on top of the duet), then I'm pretty much fine with it. If I don't like the duet, I simply won't rip it off the disc, like I did with that Pitbull Bad remix.

Yeah but you're acting like it's an extremely common occurrence (especially with the line "everyone and their mother") when it's happened precisely once.

Personally, as long as it's not overdone, the artist is good and it's handled just like it was on Xscape (that is, we get both the original and contemporised solo version on top of the duet), then I'm pretty much fine with it. If I don't like the duet, I simply won't rip it off the disc, like I did with that Pitbull Bad remix.

Tbh ever since the fake "Michael" tracks I kinda side eye MJ's estate whenever another artist gets involved with a posthumous album.

Additionally, I'm not so sure that LNFSG is the first time that a contemporary artist has been featured on a posthumous MJ song.

^ I do not mind duets at all, especially if we have original version and moreover, if there is no version with Michael’s full vocal.
The most important is the quality, the result! There cannot be too much good music.

IMO, what happened with Michael album was a mistake and I guess, the Estate now side eye all MJ ex-collaborators too.

IMO, when the time comes and Will’s MJ songs will be necessary for a project, the Estate will find right arguments to get those songs.

I don't know what Will has because this is what he said in 2010:

Will added that the songs he worked on with Jackson will never see the light of day. "He kept his vocals and I kept the music," he said. "We had that understanding."

According to that, Will only has music, but not Michael's vocals.

Allusio;4142114 said:
^ I do not mind duets at all, especially if we have original version and moreover, if there is no version with Michael’s full vocal.
The most important is the quality, the result! There cannot be too much good music.

IMO, what happened with Michael album was a mistake and I guess, the Estate now side eye all MJ ex-collaborators too.

IMO, when the time comes and Will’s MJ songs will be necessary for a project, the Estate will find right arguments to get those songs.

Hmmm, I guess I'd be somewhat okay with "duets" as long as it had some of MJ's vocals, was marketed as Michael Jackson featuring the other artist, and not marketed as a true collaboration like LNFSG was because it wasn't.:no:

To me a collab is two artist coming together (pun intended) and communicating to make a song and or video, so LNFSG and any other posthumous release would not be a collab it would be MJ featuring someone else. :)

However, I would not under any circumstances be okay with another artist putting their vocals on an MJ track without some MJ vocals being on the track too.:no:

Last edited:

Will added that the songs he worked on with Jackson will never see the light of day. "He kept his vocals and I kept the music," he said. "We had that understanding."

I guess, the Estate has the vocals then.

Hmmm, I guess I'd be somewhat okay with "duets" as long as it had some of MJ's vocals, was marketed as Michael Jackson featuring the other artist, and not marketed as a true collaboration like LNFSG was because it wasn't.:no:

To me a collab is two artist coming together (pun intended) and communicating to make a song and or video, so LNFSG and any other posthumous release would not be a collab it would be MJ featuring someone else. :)

However, I would not under any circumstances be okay with another artist putting their vocals on an MJ track without some MJ vocals being on the track too.:no:

I think, that's the reason they made Justin a video director, to name LNFSG a collaboration. At least, that is why I thought they call it so.

And I doubt that the Estate will make the same mistake ever again.

Last edited:

I think, that's the reason they made Justin a video director, to name LNFSG a collaboration. At least, that is why I thought they call it so.

Justin's also credited as co-producer for the duet, so he also played a part in the instrumental/mix of the song.

Do I consider it a collaboration? TBH yeah, of sorts. While it obviously wasn't a direct collaboration between Michael and JT/Timbaland/J-Roc, there was still an indirect collaboration involved. Michael provided them with the base and his vocals, and then Timbaland, J-Roc and JT built upon that base and created their mix essentially. At least that's how I see it.

For this particular example, I'm fine with the credits being "Michael Jackson & Justin Timberlake" (although given it was originally an MJ song, it should go without saying that Michael should be credited first).

Last edited:

I wonder if he's talking about it in terms of possession and/or just usage rights...

Justin's also credited as co-producer for the duet, so he also played a part in the instrumental/mix of the song.

Do I consider it a collaboration? TBH yeah, of sorts. While it obviously wasn't a direct collaboration between Michael and JT/Timbaland/J-Roc, there was still an indirect collaboration involved. Michael provided them with the base and his vocals, and then Timbaland, J-Roc and JT built upon that base and created their mix essentially. At least that's how I see it.

For this particular example, I'm fine with the credits being "Michael Jackson & Justin Timberlake" (although given it was originally an MJ song, it should go without saying that Michael should be credited first).

I guess were just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

To me an actual MJ collab would be what MJ and paul did with Say Say Say.:yes:

I guess were just going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

To me an actual MJ collab would be what MJ and paul did with Say Say Say.:yes:

Yeah that's cool! I wasn't saying you're wrong or anything, just giving my point of view that's all :)

Although admittedly, this idea of "indirect" collaboration (say through posthumously completing an artist's work or similar) has given me something interesting to think about!

I know this may be kinda off topic, but does anyone know if Paul collaborated on any songs with MJ other then the Girl is Mine and Say Say Say?

I know this may be kinda off topic, but does anyone know if Paul collaborated on any songs with MJ other then the Girl is Mine and Say Say Say?

Yup, The Man! It's on Paul's album Pipes of Peace :)

Paul also wrote "Girlfriend" for MJ too (he released his own version with his band Wings in 1978. You can read more about it here). Apart from that though, I don't think they worked on anything else sadly.

I have no idea why Will.I.Am always talks about these MJ tracks if he never plans on releasing them.
Maybe because just mentioning MJ's name will bring attention to whatever else he has to say. :mellow:

^ IMO, Will knows well that one day he will release them.

Does anybody know if Estate ever asked him for these songs?

Thanks.

I never heard that song with Michael and Paul The Man i like it thanks for share it.

Will.i.am might as well release them what else is he going to do with them. Let Michael fans hear them.

I have no idea why Will.I.Am always talks about these MJ tracks if he never plans on releasing them.
Maybe because just mentioning MJ's name will bring attention to whatever else he has to say. :mellow:

One of the truest post in years!!

Will needs to make up his mind, either stick to his guns and never release them, or release them. I wish he'd stop teasing us fans with these songs every time he does an interview

Any new information about this? It has been almost 2 years..

Although I hope we get to hear the Will-i-am tracks someday, I must say I don't have very high expectations from them as I don't really rate Will-i-am that highly.

Although I hope we get to hear the Will-i-am tracks someday, I must say I don't have very high expectations from them as I don't really rate Will-i-am that highly.

Yeah, I have to agree. His songs stick to a very simple formula and they really don't have the ~Michael magic~, of course. I also think that anything he and Michael worked on together would be FAR from finished and would need a LOT more work to be released today. I would say Will.i.am knows this and he also knows that he can't do the songs any justice without Michael here.

Back