Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Well to be fair, that is what I said.. come a year from now 4K will be standard.. we get new technology constantly, and my comment was more so making the point that we will always not be satisfied with quality.. we wanted DVD from VHS, than HD-DVD (short lived of course), than blu-ray etc.

I was poking fun on a couple layers.. 1. it's going to take too long for us to get it. 2. we are spending time saying 4k, 4k 4k. when in a year there will be another leading technology.

Televisions marketing is going to fast like you said... But there is one thing funny, i don't know in your country but there in France DVD's sales are still higher than Blu-ray discs, despite the fact that Blu-ray has been introduced in 2006 lol. So people buy a 4K TV because they have no choice especially on large TV's. And they keep watching DVD's, because most of people does not care about 4K. It's ultra niche.

Well to be fair, that is what I said.. come a year from now 4K will be standard.. we get new technology constantly, and my comment was more so making the point that we will always not be satisfied with quality.. we wanted DVD from VHS, than HD-DVD (short lived of course), than blu-ray etc.

I was poking fun on a couple layers.. 1. it's going to take too long for us to get it. 2. we are spending time saying 4k, 4k 4k. when in a year there will be another leading technology.

With Netflix, I really think 4K will be the last physical format.

With Netflix, I really think 4K will be the last physical format.

Not sure about that. I remember when people said the same thing in 2006 about Blu-ray. Keep in mind that physical format will be always better than streaming, especially in 4K. It's better in term of PQ and Audio. When you watch a movie on Netflix, the bitrates is very compressed compared to the UHD BD, same for the audio, you don't hear a lossless soundtrack. But for 80% of population, Netflix will be sufficient. Physical media is important for cinephiles.

Yeah it's the same here.. DVD's outsell blu-ray, I think it has to do with a couple things. 1. not all machines when blu-ray came out played blu-ray ie. video game systems etc. IDK if you remember at that time people did not believe blu-ray was going to last and did not invest in blu-ray players (they saw the short lived HDDVD's) figured it would probably do the same..

Lets remember many people JUST swapped VHS collections to DVD... invest all over again? no.. now that blu ray is more universal it's picking up buttttt... Now digital is becomig much more conveient.. So people keep buying DVD's or digital.. Though there are people that buy blu-ray... Andsometimes only because they get more special features sometimes lol

I don't know anything about sales in Denmark - but not many stores sell DVD/Blu-Ray's anymore - so if you wanna buy it has to be online mostly.

And the stores that actually sell DVD/Blu-Rays I think there are more Blu-Rays than DVD's to choose from.

I only buy old Danish movies on DVD - because they are not on any streaming services and are not released on Blu-Ray. All other movies I buy will be Blu-Ray. - But I must admit I do not buy many movies anymore... Streaming is fine for me - both picture- and soundwise.

I don't know anything about sales in Denmark - but not many stores sell DVD/Blu-Ray's anymore - so if you wanna buy it has to be online mostly.

And the stores that actually sell DVD/Blu-Rays I think there are more Blu-Rays than DVD's to choose from.

I only buy old Danish movies on DVD - because they are not on any streaming services and are not released on Blu-Ray. All other movies I buy will be Blu-Ray. - But I must admit I do not buy many movies anymore... Streaming is fine for me - both picture- and soundwise.

At least here in New Zealand, it's very easy to find a store that sells Blu-rays and/or DVDs. I imagine the same is with both Australia and America.

Thriller 3D looks totally amazing! I can't wait to own it on Blu-ray/DVD (and hopefully it will be released on Blu-ray/DVD someday) :)

MAN! That sounds so incredible!! There's such a huge thumping kick when Thriller comes on, I LOVE the new mix!!

Can't wait to see it... all these snippets and small clips makes the waiting even harder...

Michael's official site says this on FAQ section:

The Halloween take-over doesn’t stop there! We know everyone will enjoy the new short films, “Blood on the Dance Floor 2017” and “Blood on the Dance Floor X Dangerous” that feature Michael’s footage from his original short films. And next year, we intend to add a release of “Thriller 3D” or “Ghosts 3D” in movie theaters around the world as part of the annual celebration.

If that happens then the home release might happen in spring 2019.

I hope they are restoring Ghosts in 4K from the original negatives ! Just like they did for Thriller.

I hope they are restoring Ghosts in 4K from the original negatives ! Just like they did for Thriller.

I hope so too. Having those two legendary short films remastered in 4K and in 3D would be the greatest thing the Estate has ever done (...well, the greatest thing they've done since the Wembley 1988 DVD) :)

I hope so too. Having those two legendary short films remastered in 4K and in 3D would be the greatest thing the Estate has ever done (...well, the greatest thing they've done since the Wembley 1988 DVD) :)

Would it be too much to ask for them to remaster bad tour film and show that in cinema? Lol but seriously ghosts deserves the same treatment. IMO it's just as much of a masterpiece as Thriller.

What stood out for me was they said "Thriller 3D or Ghosts 3D." That implies to me one or the other, not both :/

If the cinema release happens next year then we have to wait for the home release for a long time. I hope they scan all the other short films in 4K so they can release them then. They could include all the Thriller and Bad era short films because they don't have any CGI that they would need to make again.

The video quality looks amazing. I hope we'll all get a chance to watch it in 4k.

There is a new camera recorded snippet on Youtube uploaded yesterday. Search Thiller 3D snippets 7. Quality looks really good.

I'm tired of all those snippets, I'm sure we all want to see it in full already...

I am looking forward to these releases, as a side note.. If the Estate is trying to find material to release (lack of releasable music - which is somewhat hard to believe) there is plenty of unSEEN footage that people would eat up.. behind the scene footage, they could literally make a release of "Making Of's". On set footage, in studio footage, random Michael doing whatever footage.. Shoot there is still hours upon hours of This Is It stuff they could release..

While I really like releasing some old stuff in better quality and sound, I don't want them to forget there is A lot we have never seen that is worth visiting too.

I can't wait either...

So sad we have to wait till next year.... - But then I hope we will get Ghosts 3D too. :)

Disney should show this in the former Captain EO theatres during the Halloween season. The playtime of the full Thriller video would be perfect for that

Well, that’s that. Halloween is over and this project fades away like everything the estate touches.

Such a shame. Release it to the public already. Or launch the 4K version on Netflix, which supports Dolby Atmos.

We already knew it wouldn't become public this year, except for the festival screenings. Reports were it would be released to the general public in 2018.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a theatrical release so I can go down to the local Cineworld and experience it on the big screen!

Last edited:
MJTruth;4211203 said:
We already knew it wouldn't become public this year, except for the festival screenings. Reports were it would be released to the general public in 2018.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a theatrical release so I can go down to the local Cineworld and experience it on the big screen!

I wouldn’t count on it. I’ve seriously lost faith in the estate some time ago. They don’t communicate with the fans, they also forget the people who supported Michael from day one. They don’t listen to us. They’ve also said that no new music is coming. Quality of the released projects were mediocre at best:

Michael album (fake songs)
Vision dvd set (horrible quality and not remastered at all)
Bad tour VHS on dvd
Off the wall rerelease without bonus songs, instead a piece of chalk
Scream album (buying songs we already have?)
Xscape was a very good project, but dropped too soon. Also the mixing and mastering job is not by MJ standards
MJ hologram (awful quality, done by an impersonator).
No dangerous 25
A cartoon which doesn’t make sense and even my daughter of 5 years old didn’t enjoy it (she’s part of the target audience I guess). And she likes his music greatly. She adores him. Random music of Michael in the cartoon, shitty story, crappy animation. Doesn’t have much to do with Michael Jackson in my opinion.

Where are the post history songs?
Why isn’t there a HQ bluray concert of the bad tour despite whole shows are recorded on film?
Why aren’t his short films properly remastered?
Where are the songs Michael worked on with Will.i.Am and Darkchild?

I can go on, but I simply can’t stand the estate anymore. They are shitting on our generation who made MJ the star he is to this very day. They are waiting too long, their focus is wrong. The generation of now can’t experience the magic he created back in the day like we experienced.

The only good projects are THIS IS IT and Thriller 4K. Younger people should run the estate, or even better, FANS.

Many of the issues you listed have legitimate reasons that have been discussed many times on this and other forums.
The estate Hagee a tough job to do and they're limited in what they can achieve.
I agree they dropped the ball big time with Michael but again that has been discussed to death.
They have listened to fans. the deluxe edition of xscape is testament to that, as is the Wembley concert release. Sadly they cannot please everybody, especially if the demands are unreasonable or not achievable.

Estate can always do better. For starters, remaster/release ghosts and thriller on bluray. Listen to the fans, gather whatever remaining newly catalogued concert film material and release it. They will gain substantial $$ if they do this, I guarentee it.

Back