How much representative was the “HIStory” (disc 1) track listing?

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
Country
Greece
Although I understand that making a compilation can become a really tricky task, (greatly) liable to subjectivity unless certain criteria are taken into account, I think that some inexplicable decisions took place.

For example, “Human Nature” (an impeccable track) should have made the album instead of the vacuous & undeniably inferior “The Girl Is Mine”. Also, the choice of “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You” was rather far-fetched considering the fact that “Liberian Girl” (probably his strongest ballad) did not make the album. Moreover, I think that they should have included either “Dirty Diana” or “Give In To Me” because the first disc needed more an explosive feeling. Also, the choices of “Heal The World” (a rather overestimated song) & “She’s Out Of My Life” (unconvincing rather than touching) were unnecessary considering that, at the same time, some of his most impressive tracks never made the first disc (“Who Is It”, “Jam”, “Will You Be There”). By all accounts, the most glaring omission was “Smooth Criminal”, suffice it to say that any MJ compilation without one of his most characteristic songs will be forever incomplete.

I understand that, the rather angry & aggressive feeling that overshadows the second disc explains (to some extent) the softer track listing of the first one. Also, I understand that their intention was not to harm previous albums sales. But, I firmly believe that the track listing of the first disc did not represent Michael Jackson’s (solo) career in the best possible way, especially during that (artistically) crucial period for his career…

I have the feeling they mainly went by chart position. The Girl Is Mine was #2, IJCSLY #1, while Human Nature and Smooth Criminal were both only #7.

Higher chart position does not necessarily mean better song though and because of that some definitely strange decisions happened there. If someone wanted to buy a Greatest Hits MJ album I'd rather recommend Essential or Number Ones if they do not want to buy a double disc.

The songs choosen were chart toppers. The only one I would probably change is Heal The World. I don't agree with it's inclusion. Liberian Girl on HIStory? I don't think so. IJCSLY was a number 1 hit, it deserved to be on HIStory. Give Into Me, as much as I love this track, didn't do as well as it could have. Would have been out of place on HIStory. My disappointment with the greatest hits album is the lack of respect Dangerous got. Black Or White & Remember The Time was a good choice to have on the album. I would have also included Will You Be There and maybe Who Is It.

Back