Pete Burns (Dead or Alive frontman) talks about MJ in his book

StarTrader

Proud Member
I don't remember this being posted before, but the other day I came across Pete Burns's book in the library and his perspective on MJ is quite interesting. So I've just typed it up to share with you and spark a little discussion:

Michael Jackson:

I couldn't follow his trial in 2005 because I was in Italy, so we saw the re-enactment on Court TV. I'd got the book Michael Jackson Was My Lover by Jordi Chandler, years before, and a legal book by somebody who had gone to live in the Dominican Republic because he'd done so much investigation. I found the Chandler book shocking, horrifying, and I saw the Bashir documentary and I just knew they were making a character to suit what they perceived a pedophile looked like. I had also just read extensively about Marie Antoinette and I just thought it really was 'Let's storm the Bastille and pull him from his tower and behead him and root through his belongings.' I thought it was absolutely horrifying but also riveting as well. What did he feel like every day? He could have gone to jail for life. How must he feel now? It must be awful for him. But I think the public know he's innocent - it's just the corporate people who think, 'Right... out!'

The people who think he got away with it - they're just the people with the loudest voices, the wankers. He's non-sexual. The case fell to pieces, and therefore he is innocent. Do the public think that pedophiles have noses like thorns on a rose bud, and wear over-dyed wigs and white foundation? Is that what a pedophile looks like? I beg to differ. They come in many shapes and sizes and many different guises.

Michael Jackson's plastic surgery, it's a work of art. All the photos you've seen of his nose falling off are just Photoshopped. They're not mishaps. That, to me, is some kind of art statement that he's making. The top half of his face is very feminised and the lower half has been over-masculinised - it's like a jigsaw of genders and I wish he could explain that articulately. He's without sex or gender, Michael Jackson, and there are times when I think he is perfectly stunningly beautiful. I think his make-up artist needs shooting, because they just make it all look worse.

I think he just doesn't want anyone close to him. I think he's very self-conscious and trying to guard his image so, consequently, people who are highly inept are keeping him out of reality and I don't think he knows what to do.

I think that the media were putting his plastic surgery and his lifestyle on trial; the kid was nothing to do with it. Suddenly, the public, like fucking harpies, could possibly get a tour around his house and see him without the make-up and the wig. They wanted to storm Neverland - 'Off with his head! Oh, did you abuse the kid? Oh, sorry, we forgot...' Had he been Tupac Shakur and surrounded by women with cannonball boobs in a Jacuzzi and Mai-Tai cocktails with umbrellas in them, they'd have thought it was great. But, because Jackson is surrounded by jack-in-the-boxes and Andy Pandy dolls, people found that really creepy.

Wow I love Pete even more ... Dude just spun me round, like a record baby, right round, round round :chichi:

Spot on !!

Thanks for posting that :clap:

Nice words. I remember Pete Burns on Celebrity Big Brother, talking about how his lips exploded after too much surgery :(

Nice words. I remember Pete Burns on Celebrity Big Brother, talking about how his lips exploded after too much surgery :(
True. He did have a lot of surgery too. But he is a very nice guy and very intelligent. All of that stuff was just a cover to hide behind I think.

wow, thanks for posting, very interesting read.
put a smile on my face

and thank you mr burns, for sharing so openly

:clapping:

That's one helluva piece written...the best Ive read in a very long time.

amazing. thanks for bringing this to our attention.

who is pete burns...Id lke to learn more about him.

I don't remember this being posted before, but the other day I came across Pete Burns's book in the library and his perspective on MJ is quite interesting. So I've just typed it up to share with you and spark a little discussion:

Michael Jackson:

I couldn't follow his trial in 2005 because I was in Italy, so we saw the re-enactment on Court TV. I'd got the book Michael Jackson Was My Lover by Jordi Chandler, years before, and a legal book by somebody who had gone to live in the Dominican Republic because he'd done so much investigation. I found the Chandler book shocking, horrifying, and I saw the Bashir documentary and I just knew they were making a character to suit what they perceived a pedophile looked like. I had also just read extensively about Marie Antoinette and I just thought it really was 'Let's storm the Bastille and pull him from his tower and behead him and root through his belongings.' I thought it was absolutely horrifying but also riveting as well. What did he feel like every day? He could have gone to jail for life. How must he feel now? It must be awful for him. But I think the public know he's innocent - it's just the corporate people who think, 'Right... out!'

The people who think he got away with it - they're just the people with the loudest voices, the wankers. He's non-sexual. The case fell to pieces, and therefore he is innocent. Do the public think that pedophiles have noses like thorns on a rose bud, and wear over-dyed wigs and white foundation? Is that what a pedophile looks like? I beg to differ. They come in many shapes and sizes and many different guises.

Michael Jackson's plastic surgery, it's a work of art. All the photos you've seen of his nose falling off are just Photoshopped. They're not mishaps. That, to me, is some kind of art statement that he's making. The top half of his face is very feminised and the lower half has been over-masculinised - it's like a jigsaw of genders and I wish he could explain that articulately. He's without sex or gender, Michael Jackson, and there are times when I think he is perfectly stunningly beautiful. I think his make-up artist needs shooting, because they just make it all look worse.

I think he just doesn't want anyone close to him. I think he's very self-conscious and trying to guard his image so, consequently, people who are highly inept are keeping him out of reality and I don't think he knows what to do.

I think that the media were putting his plastic surgery and his lifestyle on trial; the kid was nothing to do with it. Suddenly, the public, like fucking harpies, could possibly get a tour around his house and see him without the make-up and the wig. They wanted to storm Neverland - 'Off with his head! Oh, did you abuse the kid? Oh, sorry, we forgot...' Had he been Tupac Shakur and surrounded by women with cannonball boobs in a Jacuzzi and Mai-Tai cocktails with umbrellas in them, they'd have thought it was great. But, because Jackson is surrounded by jack-in-the-boxes and Andy Pandy dolls, people found that really creepy.

while i find some of these things agreeable..and i disagree with other things he said...i find the whole thing interesting, and have nothing negative to say about the guy. and i must say..he is poetic. and i certainly appreciate the gist of his message. thanks for posting. he is spot on about what the enemies were trying to do to Michael, and why.

That's one helluva piece written...the best Ive read in a very long time.

amazing. thanks for bringing this to our attention.

He is the lead singer of an 80s British New Wave band called Dead or Alive, the band are most famously known for their hit single "You spin me round (like a record)" http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwdAc1Dzfg. He is also looked upon as a 'freak' because of his extensive plastic surgery and he's been on a few reality TV shows in the UK and personality wise; he likes to dress flamboyantly and he's quite an outspoken person. I quite like him though!

On his wikipage it also mentions this about MJ:

In December 2003, the BBC apologised to its viewers after Burns swore repeatedly on its pre-9pm watershed Liquid Newsshow when asked about his views on the Michael Jackson trial.

First I was like: I have never heard of this guy, but some of the music I've heard before. Still quite unknown to me. He's like Marilyn Manson. Or MM is like him.
On his wikipage it also mentions this about MJ:

In December 2003, the BBC apologised to its viewers after Burns swore repeatedly on its pre-9pm watershed Liquid Newsshow when asked about his views on the Michael Jackson trial.
Why? What did he say about the trial?

About that article what Pete Burns wrote I agree with vncwilliam. I can't agree with some of the things he says but I rather read this than a piece written by an average journalist who knows nothing about Michael Jackson.

Last edited:
He's non-sexual?

Uhhh, I dunno about that....

hottwymmfsb8.gif

:p

How does he know what his sexuality is like, anyway? :O Suspicious...

You guys aren't looking at it from an average Joe's perspective though, you look at it from an obsessed fans perspective. I don't think Pete Burns has spent hundreds of hours analysing every detail of MJ's life behind a computer screen, he's just giving his own perspective from afar and from what the media have shown of MJ, which for the most part Pete's analysis is pretty accurate and intelligent. It just goes to show that not everyone is a sheep! You have to also take in to account that he's come to these conclusions from only having very little knowledge of the trial, watching the Bashir documentary and reading two crap books full of lies.

You guys aren't looking at it from an average Joe's perspective though, you look at it from an obsessed fans perspective. I don't think Pete Burns has spent hundreds of hours analysing every detail of MJ's life behind a computer screen, he's just giving his own perspective from afar and from what the media have shown of MJ, which for the most part Pete's analysis is pretty accurate and intelligent. It just goes to show that not everyone is a sheep! You have to also take in to account that he's come to these conclusions from only having very little knowledge of the trial, watching the Bashir documentary and reading two crap books full of lies.

Thank you! I agreed with him.

first of all, i think you are way off to be posting threads, if you are setting up to use terms like 'obsessed fan'. we are supposed to be respecting each other. secondly..you don't know if this guy is more on track than we are. we ALL are just speculating about Michael. you included. Burns, included. the fact that we all agree as to why the attempted ambush of Michael happened..does that make us 'obsessed', too?

first of all, i think you are way off to be posting threads, if you are setting up to use terms like 'obsessed fan'. we are supposed to be respecting each other. secondly..you don't know if this guy is more on track than we are. we ALL are just speculating about Michael. you included. Burns, included. the fact that we all agree as to why the attempted ambush of Michael happened..does that make us 'obsessed', too?

If you feel that way about my comment than that's your problem mate :lol: We are all obssesed to an extent aren't we! I don't have a problem admitting it though, that's where the term "fan" which is short for "fanatic" comes in, the average person won't invest as many hours on Michael Jackson as a fan does, so you can't expect them to know as much as we do :lol: Anyway, that was totally irrelevant to my point, which it seems you have missed, what I meant was, Burns doesn't seem aware of every minor detail in MJ's life (well, as much as a fan could know) and he probably doesn't go out of his way to know either. During the trial MJ's image took such a hammering it was unbelievable, and it wasn't that hard for the media to sway the public against MJ, which is apparent today, even on his 50th they don't seem to want to lay off him, so I was saying that Pete's analysis of the the whole subject bearing in mind he read crap books and knew very little about it, is a pretty intelligent analysis and some of his feelings on MJ's public image in general are pretty accurate! That's all homie! No need to get all uptight about it :lol:

what a great read
i had to re read it again as it makes me happy cause
pete burns is so spot on about mike and what has happened to him on so many levels...
am gonna write to pete and say thanks for havin the balls to speak so honestly and accurately about our hero. and for standin up for him.

and for everyone out there tonight havin a go at star trader for using the word 'fanatic' well thats what we are so calm down and back off

:bugeyed

That was really nice. Thanks for writing it up for us.

It's always interesting hearing about what other people thinks about Michael Jackson. Some I agree with, some I don't. What's true though is that everyone has something to say about Mike. Good or bad. This was nice.

Corrections:

1) the feature of "upper half" of Jackson's face that can be described as "feminine" is the nose, because it is "too narrow" and thus smaller in its overall size than it could be "usually". However:
a) nothing else is "feminine",
b) the characteristic of even nose as "feminine" is subjective,
c) and there is no information or even indirect indication that Jackson ever wanted the nose to be "feminine" rather than being simply smaller/narrower.

2) there is no information that Jackson is "non-sexual" in any way, whatever is meant.

Thus such simplification as "feminine"/"masculine" "halves" of Michael's face as well as him being "non-sexual" has no confirmation from actual facts on the artist that are available.

I love Pete Burns, been a fan of Dead or Alive since 1985. He's quite the character, but very intelligent indeed. Love the comments he made.

I just been on utube watching Wife Swap. He was hilarious. I love him. He is totally and brutally honest. that is what I most like about him.

I just been on utube watching Wife Swap. He was hilarious. I love him. He is totally and brutally honest. that is what I most like about him.

ITA :). And what makes his feelings about MJ all the more pleasing is that he ain't really the sensitive/sympathizing type. Quite the opposite, to be frank. He was hilarious on Wife Swap, he came out with some really funny comments.

He's without sex or gender

Michael is a male and is a man. Just because he chooses to live his life different, doesn't mean that Pete Burns has to do even say that. MJ's plastic surgery is not art. I do not find his face artistic. I just find a face. Yeah, at times, bad make up and at recent times, great make up, but not a work of art.

I don't think Pete Burns has spent hundreds of hours analysing every detail of MJ's life behind a computer screen

Yeah, but didn't mind reading a book that was based on fake nonsense. I will pass on this Pete Burns character. Sorry, but he turned me off when he said that he read the book, saying that MJ's plastic surgery is art and try to question Michael's gender and sex. Just laughable. Blah.

Well, I don't agree with everything Pete Burns wrote, but it was a nice reading though... Thanks for posting! :)

I think that his intention was good and it's amazing. Doesn't matter if he has some opinions that we don't agree... Call Michael feminine or non-sexual is not that bad... It's nothing compared to call him a pedophile. And Pete Burns is saying that he's not a pedophile. And it's great!

I think Pete Burns is a lot feminine and he put a little bit of himself on his description of Michael Jackson... hehehe!

MJ's plastic surgery is not art. I do not find his face artistic. I just find a face. Yeah, at times, bad make up and at recent times, great make up, but not a work of art.
Didn't Lisa Marie say something similar to this in the joint interview with Diane Sawyer? Mike was sitting next to her and didn't seem to object to her comment.

Well, I don't agree with everything Pete Burns wrote, but it was a nice reading though... Thanks for posting! :)

I think that his intention was good and it's amazing. Doesn't matter if he has some opinions that we don't agree... Call Michael feminine or non-sexual is not that bad... It's nothing compared to call him a pedophile. And Pete Burns is saying that he's not a pedophile. And it's great!

I think Pete Burns is a lot feminine and he put a little bit of himself on his description of Michael Jackson... hehehe!

Tru dat. :yes:

It was an interesting read, though obviously some of it isn't entirely accurate. But Michael is non-threatening, he comes across as not wanting to hurt anybody or take advantage of anybody, and as hyper aware of other people's feelings and position, which is probably what Pete meant when describing Michael as non-sexual. Michael isn't overtly sexual in any way, he isn't in your face with that part of his life and he doesn't force the issue or make it a part of who he is, not as a defining factor. It's a private aspect of his life which he doesn't let control him or his image or his ideals and values.

Michael is different, and Pete had it right when he said that people wanted to storm him and tear him from his safe-haven and basically torture and humilate him in the town square, for everyone to gawk at and make a spectical of, just because he doesn't fit in with what the rest of the world considers "normal". And that's what they did. People were relishing in making Michael suffer and watching him struggle. They got a kick out of seeing his tears. And that's what was so hard to watch. Nobody knows what Michael went through. We may think we do, but we were only watching from afar, from the outside looking in. People complain now about wanting Michael to put out new material, to get his career back on track, and they often guise that desire as wanting to see him save his legacy, when all it really is is a need to fulfill their own desire to justify their fandom, to not be embarrassed or have to be defensive over being a fan. Basically, it's them wanting acceptance from their peers.

But Michael, what the hell has he got? He's stuck in a world which doesn't understand him. People want to relate and be related to so that they don't feel alone, so that they can escape loneliness. With Michael, it's not only his life circumstance that makes him different, but also the way he thinks and he's been scrutanized and ridiculed by the world because of this since forever. I can't even imagine the kind of pain that brings. But I could see it on Michael from the first time I ever really payed attention to him.

So I think Pete knows what he's talking about.

Back