Xscape General Discussion

Re: News and discussion about new MJ album : Xscape, May 13, 2014.

From the listening sessions in Germany:

https://twitter.com/das_Janchen

"First impression from the new Jackson-album: Massive production, first 3 songs average, the others top. Titlesong one of the weaker ones."

"Sony doesn't provide the tracklists for journalists. We were allowed to hear, but writing about it will be allowed shortly piror to the release. Everything top-secret and stuff".

"8 songs on the album, about half an hour music".

"Just solo-songs. Disco-bass from new producers to "contemporize" it, as cited by Sony"

"about half an hour music".

"First impression from the new Jackson-album: Massive production, first 3 songs average, the others top. Titlesong one of the weaker ones."

"Sony doesn't provide the tracklists for journalists. We were allowed to hear, but writing about it will be allowed shortly piror to the release. Everything top-secret and stuff".

"Just solo-songs. Disco-bass from new producers to "contemporize" it, as cited by Sony"

The Strokes first two albums were 36 minutes each with 11 songs so length of an album isnt really an issue for some people

"about half an hour music".

add to that the 8 demos (which doesn't look like is being played to the journalists) you get more than an hour

so 3 weak songs - then 4 top songs = great songs - and Xscape ends the album right? - So that's a weak song too. = 4 great songs and 4 average songs.

NEWS (mainly just confirmation of old information)

Listening to Journalists in Germany (
translated from: https://twitter.com/das_Janchen)

- 8 Tracks, first 3 songs are not that great as the next 4 tracks are (They are TOP)!
- Slightly overproduced
- Song "Xscape" is one of weaker tracks on the Album

- Sony doesn't give any title-list to the journalists
- Journalists are not allowed to write about the album until few days before release-date
- Radio-Journalists are not allowed to say anything about how the new Tracks sound
- The total duration of the Tracks is about half an hour (8 Tracks)
- There are NO Featurings within this 8 newly produced Tracks! All SOLO MJ!

The bombs are in the middle of the Disc:
- Slave to the Rhythm is #5
- Blue Gangster #6

- XScape is the last Track #8

EDIT: I see its just a double-post

Last edited:

so 3 weak songs - then 4 top songs = great songs - and Xscape ends the album right? - So that's a weak song too. = 4 great songs and 4 average songs.

Well, that's just her opinion. Some of the other journalists praised Xscape and LNFSG :)

BUT - Only half an hour???

I actually thought "Michael" was a little short - and this seems to be even shorter... I know it has only 8 songs and "Michael" had 10 - BUT some songs on Michael was quite short - MTS is only like 2:40 mins....

I had hoped the songs on Xscape was long songs. - 5+ minutes each...

BUT then again - QUALITY over quantity ....

more NEWS (mainly just confirmation of old information)

Listening to Journalists in Germany (more infos translated from: https://twitter.com/das_Janchen)

- 8 Tracks, first 3 songs are not that great as the next 4 tracks are (They are TOP)!
- Slightly overproduced
- Song "Xscape" is one of weaker tracks on the Album

- Sony doesn't give any title-list to the journalists
- Journalists are not allowed to write about the album until few days before release-date
- Radio-Journalists are not allowed to say anything about how the new Tracks sound
- The total duration of the Tracks is about half an hour (8 Tracks)
- There are NO Featurings within this 8 newly produced Tracks! All SOLO MJ!

The bombs are in the middle of the Disc:
- Slave to the Rhythm is #5
- Blue Gangster #6

- XScape is the last Track #8

How is that possible... - I fear the new mix is all to overproduced and has way too many Hoo, Hey and HOUs... - I love the leaked Xscape. - Hope the new production has not ruined the song.... :(

BUT - Only half an hour???

I actually thought "Michael" was a little short - and this seems to be even shorter... I know it has only 8 songs and "Michael" had 10 - BUT some songs on Michael was quite short - MTS is only like 2:40 mins....

I had hoped the songs on Xscape was long songs. - 5+ minutes each...

BUT then again - QUALITY over quantity ....

I just hope it won't prevent casual fans to buy the standard edition of the album.
Considering an average lenght of 4min per song means about 32minutes. Adding the original versions and the bonus track, we'll have more than 65minutes on the deluxe version.

I just hope it won't prevent casual fans to buy the standard edition of the album.
Considering an average lenght of 4min per song means about 32minutes. Adding the original versions and the bonus track, we'll have more than 65minutes on the deluxe version.

I just fear that they have had to cut of lenght on the new songs to make space for the bonus track and 8 demos. - If that's the case they should have made it 2 CD's and 1 DVD deluxe edition!

BUT - if it is 32 minutes of great amazing music that's better than 50 minutes of average music...

i hate short versions of Michael Jackson songs, cause i could listen to them endlessly.

I have a - maybe stupid - question...

When they first single is released will we then get an announcement first - or will it all of a sudden just be available on iTunes?

ALSO - do you think singles will only be digital or will we be able to buy physical singles too?

AND finally - if the single is released on iTunes will we get more versions of the song? - Like old demos had a b-side etc. - Maybe STTR is released on a single with 4 tracks - the album (new) version, 2 remix and the original demo?

Or how do you think they will release singles? - I only ever buy MJ singles - and the industry has changed since Michael. - And to be honest I can't really remember how it went down back then... :lol:

Will singles be on spotify you think? - and would it be smart? Maybe the first single should be on spotify just for the promotion and make people aware that a new MJ album is on the way??

I'm quite certain it depends on your personal taste. I don't think SWLM will be THAT weak judging from the descriptions we heard (read). And I'm fairly certain the song Xscape will be among my favorites.

Funny that people are rushing to defend the album length.

It's very short. There's no getting away from that. Let's move on.

First of all, they said about half an hour of music.. meaning it could be at least 36 minutes! plus, we shouldn't be getting negative.. it's clear they're saving song's for future releases.. otherwise this cd would have had 10 tracks.. let's all be thankful.

Yeah it's short. But on the other side, it's unlikely they could have fitted let's say 10 new versions and 10 originals on one disc. 2 discs was not an option, since disc 2 seems to be a dvd.

30/8 = 3:75

Lol anyways, considering the people had phones taken away id consider 30 minutes a good ESTIMATE.

8 Tracks, 9 Bonus Tracks.

Funny that people are rushing to defend the album length.

It's very short. There's no getting away from that. Let's move on.

Short doesn't equal bad

Short doesn't equal bad

Who said it was? The fact that a lot of people are VERY keen to dress it up seems to suggest otherwise though.

Yeah it's short. But on the other side, it's unlikely they could have fitted let's say 10 new versions and 10 originals on one disc. 2 discs was not an option, since disc 2 seems to be a dvd.

They couldn't do a three disc? Why does there NEED to be a DVD? Couldn't the DVD be released as a standalone if it contained footage that HAD to be released?

I'm actually not half disappointed its short - then we have more music still left over to look forward to in new albums in the future

Who said it was? The fact that a lot of people are VERY keen to dress it up seems to suggest otherwise though.
Watch out, people are getting defensive right away here if you dare to criticize or say something that is or sounds negative

dont judge me for being confused pls
but what do you mean by a dvd??? sorry im new to this forum

They couldn't do a three disc? Why does there NEED to be a DVD? Couldn't the DVD be released as a standalone if it contained footage that HAD to be released?

you make a valid point, but most people never buy two items so i see it as a smart move that they are including the dvd in the combo pack of the deluxe version! i don't mind if the new versions are shortened.. as long as the demo's are left untouched! hoping for studio footage from Darkchild's archive (that does exist) + a short film for a place with no name (western themed)

I'm quite certain it depends on your personal taste. I don't think SWLM will be THAT weak judging from the descriptions we heard (read). And I'm fairly certain the song Xscape will be among my favorites.

Thank you. I'm not gonna start jumping to conclusions because one reviewer deems some songs "weak". If that was the case i would have just stop listening to Michael post Bad.

I'm gonna listen to it myself and make an honest assesment. Bet i gon love it :)

You 're right. But the cost for a 3 disc set would probably be higher for them.
Still, it's obvious they are saving tracks as we know, with no newer track on there (only 1 darkchild track and no post invincible)

That would not be a smart move. Wouldn't that mean that a stand alone dvd would charter on it's own? Seperated from the orginal album?

Back