Branca: Unreleased Music Unlikely in the Foreseeable Future

^^I'm aware of that. But that (Thriller era) was a long time "before he died!" That's my point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo the physical copy of "Dangerous 25" comes out...when?

I agree! I love getting new material and Xscape was the closest thing I have ever got to feeling what a "new" Michael Jackson album is like, but I'm fine with holding off on unreleased music for a while. I'm optimistic for the future and I'm sure the Estate can come up with some cool new projects!

Michael's legacy is what he put out during his life, and his posthumous work does little more than compliment it. LNFSG might've hit #1 around the world and introduced many fans to his work at the time, but ultimately, it's Billie Jean and the like that are going to keep his legacy going.

I think also that we shouldn't rule out unreleased music all together. It's good because they're showing they're not just thinking about the short term, but they're thinking about how long they can prolong new Michael material for. Nobody wants a Tupac situation where every single piece of unreleased music (and then some...) is released within the first decade, because then what? It also shows they have some integrity and are not willing to scrape the bottom of the barrel... like what happened with Tupac... again.

And sometimes it's nice to have a quiet period. The market has been saturated with plenty of Michael Jackson products over the past few years, and by having a few years of quiet will help make future releases more prominent and gain more attention. It's happened with other artists before (I.e. The Beatles) and it's happened with other markets too (The Disney Vault, so to speak).
You make a fair and interesting point. There's definitely been an over saturation since 2009. Fans barely had time to process June 25th and This Is It was out. The Michael album was chaos. What was the reception for the Immortal soundtrack like again? It's a blur to me, I actually can't remember. Bad 25 saw endless disscusion about the Wembley footage and audio mix, every Bad 25 related thread turned into the same argument. Xscape was devided but overall well received and the "hologram" performance of Slave To The Rhythm was war. Off The Wall was disappointing although I enjoyed the documentary. It's been a mad 7 years actually. All the leaked tracks and concerts also. A bit of downtime is good in an age where everything is instant. It's been quite low key this year.

Dispite all the controversies there's elements I like about most of the releases. It's a shame that everything seems so sporadic and disjointed; one bonus track here, a remix there, a few illegitimate tracks here etc. The latest Dangerous 25 virtual celebration thing whatever that's all about. As much as been released it feels a tad watered down but then again with the leaked tracks the past few years it's felt like too much also, tracks and footage leaking and fans wanting more without appreciating what they had. Crazy times. Not sure what point I'm trying to make, just going on a weird tangent.

Let's be honest. Which dead artist has a new release of demos every other year (which is what some fans apparently want)? Most posthumus releases of artists are concert releases, greatest hits compilations and re-realeases of classic albums with the odd unreleased demo thrown in here or there.

I am sure we eventually will hear all demos (either way), but fans should accept the fact that MJ is dead and his vault is limited. Which means you cannot expect something new every other year. Hell, MJ released albums every 4-5 years even when he was alive and active, so why do fans throw a fit when, after his death, they aren't getting a "new" album every 2-3 years?

Record sales are dead in general, anway. Bruno Mars is one of the biggest current artists and his new album is projected to sell 140k-150k first week. But an artist who is alive can then go on tour with the new music, so eventually it is the tour where the costs of a new album come back. But with MJ there is no tour, only the costs of an album. And if on top of that he even has a fan base that is so divided and so inclinded to call for boycotts, then I can see why they will rather focus on projects targeted at the general public - which are usually the projects that somehow involve the big hits.

I follow Billboard. Every year Thriller, Bad, Number Ones and Essential sell effortlessly around 100-130k each (only in the US), without any campaign. So why bother with big costs and effort for the production and marketing of posthumus albums when they will hardly sell more than the classic albums do without any promo?

I am open to anything. Someone mentioned Triumph Tour. That's a dream to me as well. Another is Ghosts/Making of Thriller in HD format. It doesn't have to be always unheard demos for me to enjoy a project.

And yes, I agree that they should leave people wanting more rather than over-saturate the market with MJ releases.

Last edited:
WRONG! Michael's vaults are no where near "empty"! :rofl:

MKGenie that's because something is going to be announced soon!!! Hence why they did the online "celebration" a month before the anniversary date!!! :wild:

Personally, I'm pretty excited about this because I really want to see what other ways they decide to go with things outside of releasing new music.:yes:
The world isn't ending because we aren't getting new material.:doh::smilerolleyes:
We do and will always have all of the amazing music and short films that Michael made during his lifetime, and for me that's more then enough.:D

I follow Billboard. Every year Thriller, Bad, Number Ones and Essential sell effortlessly around 100-130k each (only in the US), without any campaign. So why bother with big costs and effort for the production and marketing of posthumus albums when they will hardly sell more than the classic albums do without any promo?
Do you know how much he sells every year worldwide?
I can't find that info anywhere.:(

I wonder what their definition of 'exciting' is. The music is pretty much the only thing I'm interested in. Aside from that probably concerts, a blu-ray of Ghosts, and candid footage of Michael.

Well, for me, I wouldn't say it's the ONLY thing I'm interested in, but I agree that the music is his real legacy. Of course I wouldn't mind a release of some concerts, Ghosts (!!) and other footage on dvd but it's the music that made Michael famous and it's the music that's in his veins. Without music, there wouldn't be the dancer, the cinematographer etc.. So I was quite shocked reading this.

But when you read it again, it can easily mean that they're not planning to release new unreleased demos in 2017/in the near future. Who know's what's happening in the following years. I don't think they won't have anything to go on with. Some of the demos are already out there and some of them are in such an advanced state that producers easily know where Michael was heading. There must be some good material which they can use.

If it's meant like that, I can live with it. If they won't release any new songs at all, it would be a real pity and a move I wouldn't understand. Let's wait and see.

So far, I was quite happy with all the posthumous projects. There's always room for improvement, of course, but they seem to know what they're doing so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The only thing I criticise is that there's not much interaction with the fans. No website where they sometimes communicate directly with the fans etc. And I'm still hoping for something like Heal The Kids, a charity that comes directly from 'Michael'/the estate, where fans can participate and donate and where good things can be done in his name. I know that part of the revenue goes to charities but it would be so nice if fans could directly participate in something. So I'm anxious to see something like that happen.
But let's wait and see. :)

I just wish there was thirty years of Jackson 5/Jacksons and solo material including some of the best songs of all time for us all to enjoy.

Personally id like to them concentrate on whats already available but has not been updated.for example i stil have my vhs copy of the making of thriller.putting ghosts and the making of it on DVD and making the gen public aware of the work.there so much proper mj material out there that hasnt been updated or could be re released in some form.rather than half finished demos that get remixed by someone else.

I am very sure they will release more albums like Xscape.

Maybe not in 2017, maybe not 2018 - but no doubt they will at some point.

The projects have been better and better actully IMH.

BAD25 was great and Xscape was great too. - I really hope they will release the next new album the same way. - That way everyone will be happy.

I hope they will focus on releasing concerts and Blu-Ray versions of all his videos. - Also the making of and Ghosts.

They should make a deal with Netflix - MJ could be the first artist in the world to have his musicvideos on Netflix. - And maybe the documentaries too. And Moonwalker and This Is It. - Make a deal with Netflix and get ALL MJ's video footage on Netflix.

The MJ Estate haven't made much money with unreleased music, "This Is It" and the Cirque du Soleil projects were a lot more profitable.

I have been pretty sure that they would enter a long hiatus after the release of the awful Xscape - and now it is official for those who didn't see it coming - as it happens with a lot of deceased artists' estates.

If you want to make money in the future, you have to hold back some material. And that's what they have been doing and will continue to do, for MANY years.

You won't get to see and hear everything from MJ, that's just life. So get on with yours and don't bother about it, there's nothing you can do anyway.

After reading this I don't really no what to say. I'd like to be optimistic about upcoming releases but it hard too. Why not say what's coming next? I don't get the secrecy. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed with the statement of probably not releasing unreleased music. Is he for real I'm mean come on there was chatter that if Xscape sold well they were planning to rerelease with more Jerkins tracks and that never happened. I just don't get these guys at the estate communicate with the fans that's how you make your money. I know this is a senseless rant that makes little sense but I'm fed up with the way these guys operate. Give us a clue to what we have to look forward too. SMFH.

I'm also of the mindset that the market is over saturated with Michael Jackson and that taking a step back for a few years is a necessity. But I simply can't fathom exactly what is so "exciting" that they decide to push off unreleased material.

I would dare say that new music is the only thing that ALL fans would be interested in to some degree; every other field (tours, documentaries) are a bit varied as far as desire.

Branca is very slowly beginning to give off the indication that he either has no idea what he's doing or he simply doesn't care this close to the end of the Sony deal. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for as long as possible, but most of their projects have been massively underwhelming in the quality department. Very curious to see what they push out, but not necessarily excited.

The MJ Estate haven't made much money with unreleased music, "This Is It" and the Cirque du Soleil projects were a lot more profitable.

Comparing studio albums to a two-year worldwide arena tour and a Vegas residency show is hardly fair.

Michael and Xscape individually sold more than the Vision box set, the Immortal soundtrack, Bad25, or the Off the Wall reissue. They were granted the most publication and acknowledgement from the press and charted highest worldwide. Of course they never made the numbers or certifications that Michael's albums did in his lifetime, and you shouldn't expect them to.

Michael and Xscape have been their biggest moneymakers that don't involve previously-released material. So where is the logic that, for their final year of projects, they decide to move away from it? Where in their history has shown that a move like that will be successful?

It's a bit of a shame that John Branca isn't going to try and release anymore unreleased music. Very interested in what John Landis has for next year regarding Thriller though.

I think Sony had about 2 or 3 or 4 projects left... so it's going to be an interesting year next year for MJ regardless.

So where is the logic

The logic is the decline of the traditional music business, they can make way more money with other business deals that don't include unreleased music.

Where in their history has shown that a move like that will be successful?
Their sale of the 50% share of the Sony/ATV catalogue should give you an indicator of success by largely moving away from the music business. US-$ 750,000,000 isn't bad. The heyday of Michael's shared catalogue is over and despite some fans' moaning, if Michael was still alive, he would have been advised to sell it, too.

Branca is very slowly beginning to give off the indication that he either has no idea what he's doing
He knows how to generate profit. Fulfilling fan wishes was neither Michael's nor his priority.

How does the record business make money nowadays anyway? Over the past I'd say 15 years people can freely get music online now for free, so record companies must know about it. So how do they make their money?

How does the record business make money nowadays anyway? Over the past I'd say 15 years people can freely get music online now for free, so record companies must know about it. So how do they make their money?

Tours, merchandise, appearances etc. That's what they call 360 deals. All major music artists have such deals. Music is nowadays is such a small part of the revenues.

Tours, merchandise, appearances etc. That's what they call 360 deals. All major music artists have such deals. Music is nowadays is such a small part of the revenues.

Quite ironic. The music business now makes money that doesn't really come from the music. Heh.

Quite ironic. The music business now makes money that doesn't really come from the music. Heh.

It is still music, just more performance oriented. Artists still need to release new material to bring the people to their concerts.

I can say I'm a bit pissed that more unreleased tracks won't be coming out soon, but I'd like to focus on more concert releases, have his short films on Blu-Ray and hopefully getting North American releases of both DVD/Blu-Ray for "Moonwalker" and "Ghosts".

Bad 25 and Xscape is by far the most satisfying to me, but the Off The Wall thing is the most disappointing despite they released a great documentary along with it.

I can say this, it puts my brain to somewhat of a rest knowing something.. Even though (of course) I want to hear unheard music. The fact I know it's not coming at least for a while, lets me get an idea what to not expect and where not to give my hopes...

If 2017 consisted of a blu-ray package of Michael's short films and the Thriller 3D cinema release I'd be MORE than delighted.

I'd like to see

The Making Of Thriller on Blu Ray/DVD
Ghosts on Blu Ray/DVD
A better quality BAD Tour show from 1988 or 1989 on Blu Ray/DVD
HIStory and Blood On The Dance Floor on Vinyl
Moonwalker Video Game (Arcade version) availble to download on PSN and X-Box Live

I hope this is just a power play by Branca and the estate. With them knowing as time moves on, the more valuable Michael's unreleased vocals become.
With that being said I don't think the timing nor the context which this statement (answer) has been said are "fair" to us fans. Now I know, don't get me wrong, Michael gave us so much and the estate technically owe us nothing, but still without US a community they would have a much smaller market to make a profit from. Loyalty goes both ways.

"We have some incredibly exciting projects coming up in 2017, although we probably will not continue to release unreleased music."

Also this is a contradiction of terms really, I mean think about it. The way in which this is put across makes it feel like the end a little bit , but in the same sentence he says that "we have some incredibly exciting projects coming up". I realise Michael only recorded a set amount of songs and he only performed a set amount of shows, with that being said, how many times can you rerelease Thriller as something new?

I hope this is a huge misdirect on Branca's part (which would be very MJ to say the least) but I fear it's not. I don't want to seem ungrateful for all we've received from Michael and his estate, I truly am but I didn't see this coming. I understand to make yourself and your position stronger you must leave to have people to desire more, but this is tough to swallow.

I must admit, my heart sunk when I first read his quote, because we've been lucky to have so much to look forward to and debate since Michael's passing, that it's distracted me from the glaringly obvious but for me personally its really sunk in that Michael Jackson has died.

You can fry baste this deal because its a wrap, it ended with that OTW documentary with everything running full circle

I am a fan of featurettes.. If they could just when releasing footage, concerts, or whatever literally have some bonus material it would make a worlds difference to me.

We have some incredibly exciting projects coming up in 2017, although we probably will not continue to release unreleased Music.

Isn`t this sentence just related to 2017. He is not speaking about 2018.

Back