Michael Jackson's Incredible Achievements.

Wow, so many achievements! Ever since Michael first started singing, he must've been thinking "I will be the best singer out there everyone around the world will love." And he is/was! He'll always be the best entertainer.

If you look at global figures (not just USA) MJ's TII outsold JB's NSN.

??Le Music Junkiie?? ?@MJCB_Junky 1 Jan

Michael Jackson's Number One Hits is back in the top 10 Itunes Album list in 7 countries. Even at No. 1 in Japan. You GO MICHAEL ?

#1 on iTunes Top 10 Pop Albums in Japan: Michael Jackson-Number Ones pic.twitter.com/pQ6cl5iARd

Great great acheivements by an incredible artist and humantarian
there will never be another like him Michael Jackson has set the Bar

Is there anywhere with good estimates of Michael's current album sales, single sales, video sales, etc? Numbers vary so much, and a lot of Michael's albums are very under certified... are Sony deliberately not claiming the certs? Bad's Japanese certs alone make no sense.

Michael truly is a KING! Good post. Just watched AMA's from 1993 and MJ won 3 times there :D

All I have to say is WOW!!! I'm so very happy to be a fan if his and so happy that he has achieved so many things in his lifetime. Michael Jackson was a truly gifted man that loved sharing his talents around the world. He has also helped so many underprivileged children too. We can never forget his message to Heal The World. He never squandered his talents and happy for him on this. I'm so proud to be an MJ fan.

Music analytics service BuzzAngle Music has published its first-ever yearly report on US music consumption. It’s filled with fascinating statistics on everything from audio streaming (which reached a record high of 250.7 billion songs this year) to trending genres (at 18.2%, hip-hop/rap was the top genre in terms of total song consumption).

Given the continued explosion of streaming, it’s unsurprising that physical albums sales are down 11.7% overall from 2015, but there’s one bright spot for traditional record stores: Vinyl record sales rose 25.9% in 2016.

Check out the BuzzAngle Music’s full 2016 report here (PDF): http://www.buzzanglemusic.com/wp-content/uploads/BuzzAngle-Music-2016-Report.pdf

MJs 2016 achievements:
(page 38) ALBUM SALES ARTIST AWARDS - MALE POP ARTIST OF THE YEAR - MICHAEL JACKSON

(page 41) VINYL ALBUM SALES - TOP 25 - 15. Michael Jackson – Thriller (26,092)

(page 47) ARTISTS BY ALBUM SALES - TOP 25 -20. Michael Jackson - 597,057

Michael's currently 7th in the US in album certs at 79M. 6th is Billy Joel with 82.5M, but Michael is missing:

+ 1M cert for Bad (9X Plat -> Diamond) - 9.6M minimum confirmed sales before Bad25.
+ 1M cert for Number Ones (4X Plat -> 5X Plat) - 5.3M+ tracked sales
+ 1M cert for Essential MJ (3X MPlat -> 4X MPlat) - ~2.2M tracked sales
+ 1M cert for HIStory (7X MPlat -> 8X MPlat) - 3.5M certified but MJD estimates over 4M with club purchases

which pushes him to 83M and 6th best-seller in US history!

Michael's currently 7th in the US in album certs at 79M. 6th is Billy Joel with 82.5M, but Michael is missing:

+ 1M cert for Bad (9X Plat -> Diamond) - 9.6M minimum confirmed sales before Bad25.
+ 1M cert for Number Ones (4X Plat -> 5X Plat) - 5.3M+ tracked sales
+ 1M cert for Essential MJ (3X MPlat -> 4X MPlat) - ~2.2M tracked sales
+ 1M cert for HIStory (7X MPlat -> 8X MPlat) - 3.5M certified but MJD estimates over 4M with club purchases

which pushes him to 83M and 6th best-seller in US history!

What about Dangerous and Off The Wall? Are they missing any certifications?

What about Dangerous and Off The Wall? Are they missing any certifications?

Not yet.

Off The Wall could be eligible for 9 X Platinum this year. Sales stand at around 8,914,000.

Dangerous stands at 7.7 million. Given there was no release to mark the 25th anniversary, Dangerous will remain below 8 million for a while.

Not yet.

Off The Wall could be eligible for 9 X Platinum this year. Sales stand at around 8,914,000.

Dangerous stands at 7.7 million. Given there was no release to mark the 25th anniversary, Dangerous will remain below 8 million for a while.

MJD has Dangerous over 8M with club purchases but since it hasn't had certs changed since 2000 I have no idea what's going on with it. If it were at 7.7M (where did you get this number?) I imagine they could bump it with shipments to an 8X Plat cert pretty easily.

Sony have to pay for new distribution rights after 2017, so part of that deal might be a few thousand dollars to update certificates for Michael's songs and albums.

MJD has Dangerous over 8M with club purchases but since it hasn't had certs changed since 2000 I have no idea what's going on with it. If it were at 7.7M (where did you get this number?) I imagine they could bump it with shipments to an 8X Plat cert pretty easily.

Sony have to pay for new distribution rights after 2017, so part of that deal might be a few thousand dollars to update certificates for Michael's songs and albums.

Here is where I got 7.7 million from - http://chartbusters.forumfree.it/?t=60966251 Scroll down to Dangerous. 7 million shipped by 2000 of the normal edition. 700,000 for the special edition in 2001.

Here is where I got 7.7 million from - http://chartbusters.forumfree.it/?t=60966251 Scroll down to Dangerous. 7 million shipped by 2000 of the normal edition. 700,000 for the special edition in 2001.

The 7M is from the cert from 2000, which was given for sales of around 6.2M I think. Nielsen have Dangerous at around 6.5-6.6M now and I imagine club sales push that close to 7M. Maybe there are an additional 700K sold somehow but I thought they would get tracked since there's no way Dangerous sold over 700K in club sales since 2003 (when it was just under 300K). Thriller just barely managed 1M in club sales.

I think Off The Wall has a better chance of moving up a cert level than Dangerous right now, but I'm not sure how close it is for 9X Plat. MJD's estimates put it ready for it but I thought it would have been moved by now if his numbers are accurate.

The 7M is from the cert from 2000, which was given for sales of around 6.2M I think. Nielsen have Dangerous at around 6.5-6.6M now and I imagine club sales push that close to 7M. Maybe there are an additional 700K sold somehow but I thought they would get tracked since there's no way Dangerous sold over 700K in club sales since 2003 (when it was just under 300K). Thriller just barely managed 1M in club sales.

I'd be interested to see a source for the 8 million if MJD sticks by that amount when the MJ Popularity Analysis article is done for his website. I think it was possibly a claim made by a Sony official from outside the US. Back in 2009 when he compiled the UKMix thread his sales for Bad said 10 million (2003) and with his last updated work this was removed. The 10 million claim was by Sony Japan. Bad was last certified in 2013 for 9 X Platinum. Therefore that 10 million claim by Sony Japan must be bogus.

BMG Club Sales were 298,000.

Edit: Sony Japan is the source for 8 million in 2003.

I'd be interested to see a source for the 8 million if MJD sticks by that amount when the MJ Popularity Analysis article is done for his website. I think it was possibly a claim made by a Sony official from outside the US. Back in 2009 when he compiled the UKMix thread his sales for Bad said 10 million (2003) and with his last updated work this was removed. The 10 million claim was by Sony Japan. Bad was last certified in 2013 for 9 X Platinum. Therefore that 10 million claim by Sony Japan must be bogus.

BMG Club Sales were 298,000.

Edit: Sony Japan is the source for 8 million in 2003.

Sony Corp claim 100M for Thriller so I'm not gonna trust them on anything! I bet Sony over certified at 7X Plat in 2000 but it's probably caught up to that in sales (or at least is close to it) now. Shipments in USA are likely not even at 7.5M. Doubt it's changing certs soon.

well, here or there... like this or like that..., the only entity that can officially declare certifications for any or all major albums is Sony and MJ Estate.
They should pay RIAA for all the rights and distribution or whatever that is needed to certify all his albums.

Since 2000, nothing has been offcially declared, we have only the pre-2000 numbers, and in 2017 its even more important to certify MJ and let the world and haters know how successful MJ is and ever has been, and since 2009, almost 10M albums have been sold only in the USA, Thriller is 32x platinum... but no new certs for Bad, OTW, Dangerous and HIStory or No.1s or Essential??? Come on... (and mysteriously all the other albums like HGs by the Eagles.... a few years ago tied with Thriller, or Garth Brooks has the record breaking 7 diamond albums certs).

Sony have to UPGRADE all the certs and numbers

Off The Wall - 8X Plat (updated in 2009)*
Thriller - 32X Plat [30X for album sales] (updated in 2016 twice)
Bad - 9X Plat (updated in 2013)*
Dangerous - 7X Plat (updated in 2000)
HIStory - 7X Multi-Plat (updated in 2009)
Blood On The Dance Floor - 1X Plat (updated in 2000)
Invincible - 2X Plat (updated in 2002)
Number Ones - 4X Plat (updated in 2013)*
The Essential - 3X Multi-Plat (updated in 2013)*

* = needs to increase a Plat/MPlat level

Off The Wall - 8X Plat (updated in 2009)*
Thriller - 32X Plat [30X for album sales] (updated in 2016 twice)
Bad - 9X Plat (updated in 2013)*
Dangerous - 7X Plat (updated in 2000)
HIStory - 7X Multi-Plat (updated in 2009)
Blood On The Dance Floor - 1X Plat (updated in 2000)
Invincible - 2X Plat (updated in 2002)
Number Ones - 4X Plat (updated in 2013)*
The Essential - 3X Multi-Plat (updated in 2013)*

* = needs to increase a Plat/MPlat level

yeah, thanks, but its 2017.... and only Thriller is miraculously updated in 2016 twice..., sure... if the same digital/stream update has to be for all albums since 2009, if its done for Thriller, why not for the rest?

yeah, thanks, but its 2017.... and only Thriller is miraculously updated in 2016 twice..., sure... if the same digital/stream update has to be for all albums since 2009, if its done for Thriller, why not for the rest?

Thriller going Triple Diamond is a major milestone for Michael and American music. I'm going by certs for album sales alone, that's why I indicated 30X for Thriller as pure sales. I have no idea how the other albums would be affected by single sales/streams, but I imagine Bad is the album that could benefit the most from it. Singles need the most updating for Michael's total RIAA numbers.

have you ever READ this?

http://en.michaeljackson.ru/records-and-achievements/

Records and Achievements
Michael Jackson was a larger than life figure who, during his 40-year career in the entertainment business, broke an enormous number of records. This page lists his most significant records and achievements. The date in parentheses is the date when the record was established.

Popularity
(2000) The biggest selling artist of all time: more than 380 million records sold with Michael Jackson’s voice and name on them;
(2000) The biggest music industry artist/group project of all time: Michael Jackson brought more than $5 billion total income to the industry;
(2000) The highest worth artist/group of all time: $3 billion by estimation of Sony Corporation during the negotiations with MJJ Productions;
(1997) The most sold international artist of all time: 100 million albums sold outside of the USA;
(2000) The biggest selling artist of the 90s: 123 million records, including 95 million albums;
(1990) The biggest selling artist of the 80s: 100 million solo records (Epic only, excluding Motown records);
(2000) The biggest selling international artist of the 90s: more than 70 million albums sold internationally;
(1995) The most albums sold by an artist in one year: 30 million;
(1993) The biggest TV talk show audience ever: “Michael Jackson talks to… Oprah” – 100 million. It was also the fourth biggest TV audience ever;
(2009) The most downloaded artist of all time;
(2009) The first artist to sell more than 2 million downloads in a week – immediately after his death;
(2000) The most photographed man form the 60s to date;
(2000) The most recognizable man ever.

Awards
(2009) The most awarded person/entertainer/artist/group of all time: 372 recognized awards (excluding Gold, Platinum and Diamond certifications);
(2009) The most American Music Awards won by an artist: 26 (including 4 posthumous awards);
(2009) The most World Music Awards won by a male artist: 16;
(2009) The most Billboard awards won by a male artist: 26;
(1984) The most awarded and nominated artist in a single year: more than 50 certifications;
(1984) The most Grammy awards and nominations for an artist in a single year: 8 and 12 respectively;
(1983) The most Billboard awards won by an artist in a single year: 13;
(1984) The most American Music Awards won by an artist in a single year: 8;
(1996) The most World Music Awards won by an artist in a single year: 5;
(1972) The youngest artist ever to win Billboard awards: at age 13;
(1984) The youngest artist to receive the American Music Award of Merit: at age 25;
(1984) The first person to receive 2 stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: as a member of The Jacksons and as a solo artist;
(1984) The first artist/group to receive the NARM Gift Of Music awards for both Best Selling Album and Best Selling Single: for the Thriller album and “Billie Jean” single respectively.

Albums and songs
(2009) The biggest selling album of all time: Thriller – an estimated 110 million copies sold;
(2009) The biggest selling boxed set/double album of all time: HIStory – Past, Present and Future, Book I – 22 million copies sold;
(2009) The biggest selling remix album of all time: Blood On The Dance Floor/HIStory In The Mix – 6 million copies sold;
(1991) The fastest selling album of all time: Dangerous – 14 million copies were sold within the first 37 days after the album release;
(1995) The fastest selling box set/double album of all time: HIStory – Past, Present and Future, Book I – 7.5 million copies were sold within the first 37 days;
(1997) The fastest selling remix album of all time: Blood On The Dance Floor/HIStory In The Mix – 2.5 million copies were sold within the first 37 days;
(2000) The biggest selling international album of all time: Thriller – 27 million copies sold internationally. The second biggest selling international album is Dangerous with 20 million copies in international sales;
(1987) The biggest number of countries where an album reached #1: 25 countries – Bad;
(1994, 1999) The most records sold during an album promo campaign ever: During the Dangerous campaign, Michael sold 57 million records: 40 million albums and 17 million singles; the record was surpassed later with HIStory campaign that sold 65 million records: 54 million albums and 11 million singles;
(1999) The biggest music industry project of all time: HIStory – Past, Present and Future – Book I brought about $1.1 billion to music industry;
(1995) The most expensive album promo campaign in history: HIStory – Past, Present and Future, Book I – Sony reportedly spend $ 40 million on the promotion of the album;
(1995) The most expensive album cover of all time: HIStory – Past, Present and Future, Book I – $1 million;
(2000) The biggest selling male solo album of the 90s: Dangerous – 26 million copies sold;
(2000) The biggest selling international album of the 90s: Dangerous – 20 million copies in international sales;
(1990) The biggest selling album of the 80s: Thriller – 52 million copies sold. The second biggest selling album of the 80s is Bad with 26 million copies sold;
(2000) The best selling song of all time: “Billie Jean” – 70 million copies sold;
(2000) The best selling rock song of all time: “Beat It” – 69 million copies sold. The second best selling rock song is “Black Or White” – 47 million copies sold.

Films
(1986) The most expensive video/movie per minute in history: “Captain EO” – $30 million for the 17-minute film;
(1996) The two most expensive videos of all time: “Ghosts” – undisclosed figure, and “Scream” – around $7 million;
(1991) The biggest audience ever to watch a music video: “Black Or White” – around 500 million during its first worldwide broadcast on November 11, 1991. The video was simultaneously shown in 27 countries;
(1990) The two best-selling VHS music videos ever released: “Moonwalker” – 2 million copies by 1990, and “The Making of Michael Jackson’s Thriller” – 1 million copies by 1985;
(1992) The most frequent airplay of a music video on MTV (in the USA): “Black Or White”;
(2009) The top-grossing concert film of all time: “Michael Jackson’s This Is It” – earned over $260 million worldwide. It also set a record for concert films with $103.9 million in worldwide ticket sales in its first five days of showing.

Live performances
(2000) The most popular performer of all time: more than 17 million people attended his concerts;
(1993) The biggest TV audience of all time: US Super Bowl XXVII halftime performance – 133.4 million viewers.
(1993) The biggest charity tour of all time: the Dangerous World Tour – 3.5 million attendance raised $70 million for charity;
(1992) The biggest cable TV audience of all time: approximately 250 million – for the Dangerous World Tour concert in Bucharest aired on HBO;
(1992) The highest-priced concert recording of all time: the Dangerous World Tour concert in Bucharest – the rights to the recording bought for $20 million by HBO;
(1997) The biggest artist/group tour of all time: HIStory World Tour attended by 4.5 million people. The previous record was also held by Jackson with the Bad World Tour attended by 4.4 million people;
(1989) The highest grossing tour of all time: the Bad World Tour – grossed $125 million. This record was later broken by the Dangerous World Tour (1992–1993) and later broken again by the HIStory World Tour (1996–1997);
(1988) The most successful series of concerts at a single venue: 7 Bad World Tour concerts at Wembley Stadium, London attended by 504,000 people.

Chart positions
(1995) The biggest number of countries where an album reached #1: more than 25 countries for Bad, Dangerous and HIStory – Past, Present and Future, Book I;
(1991) The only artist to have #1 hits on the US Billboard chart for four consecutive decades;
(1995) The longest span between the first and the last #1 hit in the career of a solo artist: 22 years and 11 months (from “Ben” in October 1972 to “You Are Not Alone” in September 1995);
(1995) The highest debut on the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles Charts: “You Are Not Alone” – at #1. The second highest debut was “Scream” that debuted at #5;
(1987) The highest quantity of #1 consecutive hits on the US Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart: 6 (singles form the Bad album lead by “We are The World”);
(1969) The youngest voice to be on a #1 hit in the USA: “I Want You Back”, a Jackson 5 song. Michael was 11 years old;
(1971) The first artist/group to have four consecutive #1 hits in the USA: Jackson 5 (“I Want You Back”, “ABC”, “The Love you Save” and “I’ll Be There”);
(1983) The first song/single in history to be #1 on the US Billboard’s Rock Albums, Rock Singles, R&B Albums and R&B Singles charts simultaneously: “Billie Jean”;
(1983) The most songs of an artist to be in the Top Ten of the US Billboard Singles chart in a single year: 7 songs – “The Girl Is Mine”, “Billie Jean”, “Beat It”, “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin'”, “Human Nature”, “P.Y.T”, and “Say, Say, Say”;
(1984) The first and only album in history to start and end the year at #1 on the US Billboard Album chart: “Thriller”;
(1990) The most #1 hits by an artist in the ’80s: 10;
(1988) The longest time period in history that an album spent in the Top Five of the US Billboard Pop Album chart in history: Bad – 38 weeks;
(1983) The first album in history to be #1 on the charts in the USA and Great Britain simultaneously: Thriller;
(1988) The first artist to have four #1 singles from one album: (“I Just Can’t Stop Loving You”, “Bad”, “The Way You Make Me Feel”, “Man In The Mirror”).

Business deals
(1991) The biggest entertainment contract in history: $890 million – a 15-year contract for six albums and films between MJJ Productions/Mijac Music/MJJ Ventures/Optimum Production and Epic Records Group/Sony Music Entertainment/Sony Corporation [Japan]/Warner Timerlane/Warner Chappell);
(1995) The biggest music publishing deal ever: merging of Michael Jackson’s ATV Publishing and Sony Publishing in Sony/ATV Publishing with equal share and total value of up to $1 billion. Michael Jackson was paid $110 million for this transaction;
(1988) The highest-paid commercial spokesperson ever: Pepsi Cola paid Michael $12 million for 4 TV commercials;
(1988) The most expensive rights in book publishing: $5-15 million – from Doubleday Publishing;
(1986) The biggest artist/group’s advertising contract: LA Gear – $20 million;
(1989) Highest-paid entertainer of the year by “Forbes” magazine: estimated earnings of $125 million;
(1992) The most expensive sponsored project of all time: Dangerous World Tour for Pepsi Co. – $12 million. Bad World Tour was the second most expensive project and cost Pepsi Co. $10 million.

Charitable activity
(2000) The biggest philanthropist among entertainers/artists/groups/sportsmen: more than $200 million raised from Michael Jackson’s solo projects (excluding collaborative projects);
(1985) The biggest charity act in entertainment: “We Are The World” raised $67 million;
(1997) The second biggest charity act in entertainment: two-disc boxed set “Diana Tribute” raised $84 million. Michael Jackson contributed song “Gone Too Soon” for the boxed set;
(1993) The third biggest charity act in entertainment: estimated $70 million of net income from the Dangerous World Tour;
(2000) The largest number of charities supported by a pop singer: Michael Jackson at one time supported 39 charity organizations either by donations or by participating in their anonymous auctions. Amongst these organizations are: AIDS Project L.A., American Cancer Society, BMI Foundation, Inc., Childhelp USA, United Negro College Fund (UNCF), YMCA – 28th Street/Crenshaw, The Sickle Cell Research Foundation and Volunteers of America.

Records of record-breaking
(2000) The most records ever achieved by a single person: about 80 global records and hundreds of local records (most of them are not listed here);
(2000) The biggest number of mentions in the Guinness Book of World Records in a single year: 10 records in the 2000/Millenium Edition.

I can't believe this thread hasn't been updated in nearly 3 years.

Anyways, here are some of Michael's achievements since this thread was last updated:

- Thriller crossed 300 & 400 weeks on Billboard 200.
- The Essential Michael Jackson crossed 200 & 300 weeks on Billboard 200.
- Dangerous & History albums were both certified 8X Platinum in the USA.
- The Essential Michael Jackson was certified 4X Platinum in the USA.
- MJ had his 30th top 10 hit in the USA with Don't Matter To Me, although that song is rubbish and it's with that overrated snake Drake, so I don't see this much of an achievement. It also became Michael's 44th UK top 10 hit.
- Number Ones crossed 300 and 400 weeks on the UK Singles charts.
- Number Ones was also certified 9X Platinum in the UK with sales of 2,700,000.

Does anyone have seen a list of Billboard's top 10 MALE artists for the 90's?
I think Michael should be no.1 or no.2 -although I can't find the list anywhere...

Here's an achievement I don't see many people mentioning. Michael is the only artists to have three albums in the top 20 best selling albums of all time. Two of those albums are in the top 10. No other band/artist has achieved this.

Last edited:
MJ's views across all videos have today surpassed the 9 BILLION mark (total views since JUNE 2005)

Subscribers 18.7 MILLION and increasing - not too much longer until 19 MILLION is reached.

EjVAKq2X0AU2WHb

Back