Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Netflix, netflix, Netflix... lol! It's taking over the world.. killing TV, leaving them with a small handfull of shows that actually get ratings.. I heard that that tv networks are working on over 200 new series though to fight back..

It' lik a boxing match!!

Guyssss Thriller 3D only pleasseeeee......

**Thread Cleaned**

Why is everyone tlkn about this is cropped? Does anyone not notice that someone is recording this on a phone that is hiding behind a chair to not get caught. Look to the left & you can tell it's not cropped. Wider yes. These screenshots are from my galaxy note8 & I've circled what noone seems to see on this cam recording thats BEHIND A CHAIR!
0a750299eb333e5bf4f6537b3a6c8e6b.jpg
264e4a87827218dbc4b911ec2e951656.jpg
33fe1ad089129f7e61c6a0ad60f57c42.jpg
8cdde07381eb79f328bcd05557255377.jpg

a8b4b4c59b4b4317054d5d5e0299b77f.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

The people who talk about cropping might not know that this is the widerscreen version that was shown in cinemas when it was first released. There is a little bit cut from the top and bottom but we see a lot more on the sides than before.

^^

I can't wait to see it.. - But I guess that will be next year for me. :)

Thriller was shot in OPEN MATTE, so there's no cropping.

That sounds promising. - Was Ghosts shot the same way?

Since Ghosts was shot in 1996 - I would guess better and more modern equitment was used?

I really really hope they will make Ghosts into 4K too and release it in full screen 16:9. - Does anyone know if that would be possible?

The people who talk about cropping might not know that this is the widerscreen version that was shown in cinemas when it was first released. There is a little bit cut from the top and bottom but we see a lot more on the sides than before.

Nope. We don't see any more information on the sides. Compare this leaked footage from the Sydney showing on the left, to the 4:3 version we all know and love on the right:
4XybyPC.png

Thriller was shot in OPEN MATTE, so there's no cropping.

If it's shot in open matte, that means it's shot in full frame 4:3, then later the top and bottom are matted out by the projectionist in order to display it in a ratio of 16:9. In the world of digital, this actually does means cropping.

I imagine they would've scanned in full-frame, then cropped it in post. This would allow them to re-compose each shot as desired, such as the shot above which has been recomposed so that it's cropped/matted to the bottom 2/3. This allows us to see Michael's full body, including his feet, which he always intended to be seen. In the olden days with projecting film, it would've been matte'd for the centre.

That sounds promising. - Was Ghosts shot the same way?

Since Ghosts was shot in 1996 - I would guess better and more modern equitment was used?

I really really hope they will make Ghosts into 4K too and release it in full screen 16:9. - Does anyone know if that would be possible?

It really depends on what kind of film stock it was shot on. That information isn't publicly available though, only those who were involved with the shoot would know.

I do believe Ghosts was shot on a type of 35mm film, it just depends if it's normal or super 35mm (the latter of which came about in 1982. It was adopted by Hollywood in 1984, so too late for Thriller). Super 35mm allows more image on the side as the space on the film strip often reserved for optical audio is instead used for the visual itself. Generally this means you have a wider image so if you had a production that was finished in 4:3, you could go back and restore to a fuller picture in 16:9 without cropping the top and bottom. On normal 35mm, you're generally going to lose some of the top and bottom although possibly gain some on the side. It really varies production by production and how they've chosen to go about it.

Watching the Ghosts music video on YouTube, there are a number of shots that would have essential information missing if it was cropped from 4:3 to 16:9. I don't know if they shot intending it to be display in 4:3 (very possible, given the fact it would mostly be played on MTV in 4:3), or if they shot it, protecting for widescreen, and just cropped it to 4:3.

Either way I don't mind what aspect ratio they release it in, so long as it respects the Director of Photography's intent. Nothing wrong with 4:3, in fact many great films are in 4:3 (although they're generally a lot older).

If they have access to the film negatives for Ghosts, then yes they can make a 4K version. Thriller 3D was worked on at 4K I believe.

Last edited:
It really depends on what kind of film stock it was shot on. That information isn't publicly available though, only those who were involved with the shoot would know.

I do believe Ghosts was shot on a type of 35mm film, it just depends if it's normal or super 35mm (the latter of which came about in 1982. It was adopted by Hollywood in 1984, so too late for Thriller). Super 35mm allows more image on the side as the space on the film strip often reserved for optical audio is instead used for the visual itself. Generally this means you can restore to a fuller picture in 16:9 without cropping the top and bottom. On normal 35mm, you're generally going to lose some of the top and bottom although possibly gain some on the side. It really varies production by production and how they've chosen to go about it.

Watching the Ghosts music video on YouTube, there are a number of shots that would have essential information missing if it was cropped from 4:3 to 16:9. I don't know if they shot intending it to be display in 4:3 (very possible, given the fact it would mostly be played on MTV in 4:3), or if they shot it, protecting for widescreen, and just cropped it to 4:3.

Either way I don't mind what aspect ratio they release it in, so long as it respects the Director of Photography's intent. Nothing wrong with 4:3, in fact many great films are in 4:3 (although they're generally a lot older).

If they have access to the film negatives for Ghosts, then yes they can make a 4K version. Thriller 3D was worked on at 4K I believe.

Thanks a lot for the info. :)

Nope. We don't see any more information on the sides. Compare this leaked footage from the Sydney showing on the left, to the 4:3 version we all know and love on the right:
4XybyPC.png
So are we seeing less than before? I hope they include both aspect ratio versions in HD when they release it on Blu-ray.

Who cares if it's cropped lmao! IT'S IN 4K. How can some people complain? I'm glad we are getting Thriller in 4K

Who cares if it's cropped lmao! IT'S IN 4K. How can some people complain? I'm glad we are getting Thriller in 4K

I am very happy too. 4K is a dream come true. - And better sound too.

BUT - it would be sad if we can't see MJ's feet during the most iconic dance routine in the world. - The dance includes his entire body.

It definitely looks lighter and brighter. I love that. Hope they didn't crop anybody's heads and feet.

I don't think they should wait to show it with a horror film. I'd love to see it in a theatre but I'm not going to see a horror film.

Thriller isn't especially scary, unless you're 5 years old or younger. It IS a musical, though, and everybody loves musicals. They need to find some musical to pair it with-maybe Hugh Jackman's Barnum musical will be ready-or too bad this wasn't ready for LA LA Land.

cutting portions of an MJ video for cropping is just blasphemy! How many times I have gotten upset at camera men/women for simply not showing enough on tour footage.. Now intentional cut off.. lol! "I can't work under these conditions"... over dramatic I know! haha

cutting portions of an MJ video for cropping is just blasphemy! How many times I have gotten upset at camera men/women for simply not showing enough on tour footage.. Now intentional cut off.. lol! "I can't work under these conditions"... over dramatic I know! haha
The 3D version is exactly like it was shown in cinema in 1983. The 4:3 version was for TV.

If it's shot in open matte, that means it's shot in full frame 4:3, then later the top and bottom are matted out by the projectionist in order to display it in a ratio of 16:9. In the world of digital, this actually does means cropping.

Open matte does NOT mean you'll get to see more picture for every shot, sometimes a scene could have been composited more suitable for the 4:3 aspect ratio, just as the example that you found. It just means that in general it was shot so they could cut it to both aspect ratios.

So are we seeing less than before? I hope they include both aspect ratio versions in HD when they release it on Blu-ray.

Yes, but it was likely intended to be viewed that way in the cinema by the DOP. If it released on Blu-ray, it'll likely just be the widescreen version given almost every TV now-a-days is widescreen.

It's also one reason why they formatted the Vision disc the way they did, displaying the whole thing in 16:9 and just pillar-boxing the older 4:3 videos. If they did the opposite, displayed in 4:3 and just letterboxed the widescreen videos, then the widescreen videos would be both pillarboxed and letterboxed when viewed on widescreen TVs (Take a look at this YouTube help article if you want a visual idea).

Open matte does NOT mean you'll get to see more picture for every shot, sometimes a scene could have been composited more suitable for the 4:3 aspect ratio, just as the example that you found. It just means that in general it was shot so they could cut it to both aspect ratios.

Indeed. I'm aware of what it is, my explanation was based off the fact that generally you'll find, at least with films, that the Director and DOP intended it to be displayed in some variant of widescreen, but usually shot to protect it for full frame - which was the size of the 35mm negative after all.

I prefer whatever was the theatrical aspect ratio or whatever the Director/DOP intended for it to be presented in. When it comes to Thriller, I really do prefer the widescreen shots I've seen so far over the 4:3 version. For the dancing shot I posted, there is a nicer headroom over the Zombies as opposed to the full frame, and the dancing shot Hulkamaniac posted is better composed in widescreen as well, feeling like it actually takes advantage of a 'wider frame' as opposed to leaving a humongous gap of headroom on the top and bottom. Given it was to be shown in cinemas, I believe Thriller was intended to be display in 16:9, we've just seen it in 4:3 all these years because that was the aspect ratio of televisions back then. If they released it in 4:3 on Blu-ray however, saying it was the intended aspect ratio regardless, I'd be happy with that.

Sounds like we get to see everything they way it was originally planned.

That's good enough for me. - And can't wait to see it in amazing HD quality !!

It definitely looks lighter and brighter. I love that. Hope they didn't crop anybody's heads and feet.

I don't think they should wait to show it with a horror film. I'd love to see it in a theatre but I'm not going to see a horror film.

Thriller isn't especially scary, unless you're 5 years old or younger. It IS a musical, though, and everybody loves musicals. They need to find some musical to pair it with-maybe Hugh Jackman's Barnum musical will be ready-or too bad this wasn't ready for LA LA Land.

The reason it looks brighter is because your not seeing it through the 3D glasses. 3d films are mastered brighter so that when you put the glasses on the brightness and colour etc looks correct. 3D films can be mastered upto 20% brighter to compensate for the light reduction due to filtering effect of the polarised lenses. This was shot in the cinema with no glasses. You'll find the brightness will be more like the original when viewed through the glasses.

Can anyone that actually saw Thriller with the 3D glasses on confirm if it looked as dark as the original 1983 SD video?

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the version seen in Moonwalker Blu-Ray:

It will probably look close to that but even better. Colors will likely look different. Moonwalker looked great on Blu-ray but colors look a bit odd compared to the old DVD. Just compare the blue shirt in Man in the Mirror.

Last edited:
^ Yeah, the Moonwalker DVD has better colors. I hope Moonwalker gets a 4K release soon, I'm sure they would fix the colors this time :D

Moonwalker could definitely get a 4K release but the Blu-Ray wasn't even released in the USA so I'm not sure we'll ever see it.

Tonight Thriller 3D is showing at Le Grand Rex in Paris. I will be there.

Saw this on other forum. It will be shown in Japan 28th October at TOHO Cinemas Roppongi they say:
MJ-800x428_1.jpg

Last edited:
Back