THRILLER appears in new trailer for STRANGER THINGS Season 2

I've never seen it but I plan to catch up with the first series then move onto the second.

Could you imagine the trailer without Thriller? I couldn't, Thriller elevated it to a a whole new level. It was everything! I wonder why it was rejected before, if it had another mix. I'm glad the producer pushed harder to have the song.

THAT AMAZING “STRANGER THINGS” SEASON 2 TRAILER ALMOST DIDN’T USE “THRILLER”

Darkness falls across the land.
Netflix may have won this year’s San Diego Comic-Con with their incredible trailer for the second season of “Stranger Things,“ premiering on October 27. Not only was it our first real look at the new season, but it also featured a pitch perfect use of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” – complete with Vincent Price narration!
But we almost didn’t get that version of the trailer.
Speaking with io9, producer Shawn Levy just revealed that the original version of the trailer, up until a couple weeks before Comic-Con, actually did not feature the classic Halloween anthem. As he explains, acquiring the rights to the song was no easy task.
“It was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to pull off as a producer,” Levy told the site during a video chat. “We were rejected repeatedly. For months. A month ago, it was over. And we had another trailer that was being shipped to San Diego. And it did not have that song. The [Duffer] brothers and I would watch it and it just really ate away at us because we knew it was a great trailer, but with Thriller… it’s next level.”
Levy continued, “I basically decided to be a massive pain in the ass, and I went back into bull-headed producer mode and I figured out a way to work out a deal and license Thriller.”
In the second season…
It’s 1984 and the citizens of Hawkins, Indiana are still reeling from the horrors of the Demogorgon and the secrets of Hawkins Lab. Will Byers has been rescued from the Upside Down but a bigger, sinister entity still threatens those who survived.

From MJVIBE

Last edited:
How. Does. The. Estate. Get. 'Everything'*. So. Wrong?

Thank goodness the producer of Stranger Things was able to convince them, but it sounds a VERY close-run thing.
Unbelievable that the Estate couldn't see the potential in this. Really, they need some new advisors!

THAT AMAZING “STRANGER THINGS” SEASON 2 TRAILER ALMOST DIDN’T USE “THRILLER”

Darkness falls across the land.
Netflix may have won this year’s San Diego Comic-Con with their incredible trailer for the second season of “Stranger Things,“ premiering on October 27. Not only was it our first real look at the new season, but it also featured a pitch perfect use of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” – complete with Vincent Price narration!
But we almost didn’t get that version of the trailer.
Speaking with io9, producer Shawn Levy just revealed that the original version of the trailer, up until a couple weeks before Comic-Con, actually did not feature the classic Halloween anthem. As he explains, acquiring the rights to the song was no easy task.
“It was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to pull off as a producer,” Levy told the site during a video chat. “We were rejected repeatedly. For months. A month ago, it was over. And we had another trailer that was being shipped to San Diego. And it did not have that song. The [Duffer] brothers and I would watch it and it just really ate away at us because we knew it was a great trailer, but with Thriller… it’s next level.”
Levy continued, “I basically decided to be a massive pain in the ass, and I went back into bull-headed producer mode and I figured out a way to work out a deal and license Thriller.”
In the second season…
It’s 1984 and the citizens of Hawkins, Indiana are still reeling from the horrors of the Demogorgon and the secrets of Hawkins Lab. Will Byers has been rescued from the Upside Down but a bigger, sinister entity still threatens those who survived.

From MJVIBE

*Seemingly everything to do with sales and marketing of MJ music and collectables. Smooth Criminal Hot Toy anyone?

Last edited:
^^Wheres the rest of the story?? How did he convince them?

I'm actually shocked how really excited everybody was over this-I'm sure the Estate took note.

After watching the trailer I think I will see this serie. - Looks great.

The producer didn’t say why they got rejected and he was able to convince the estate. I'm glad he was able to reason with that pair of blockheads at the end. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't allow the Stranger Things creators to use anything else related to Michael.

One of the greatest things to come out of San Diego Comic-Con this year was that new trailer for Stranger Things Season 2. That trailer filled by with nostalgic joy, especially with Vincent Price's narration from Michael Jackson's "Thriller"! That just took the trailer to a whole new level and it was absolutely perfect!

Turns out they almost didn't get the rights to use it! They had a completely different trailer cut to show attendees at Comic-Con because their request for "Thriller" kept getting rejected! Luckily, producer Sawn Levy came through and closed a deal to use the song at the last minute. It wasn't an easy task, though. In an interview with io9, he said it was the hardest things he's ever had to do as a producer.

"It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do pull off as a producer. It's very very hard for reasons I won't go into. We were rejected repeatedly for months. And a month ago it was over and we had another trailer that was being shipped to San Diego and it did not have that song. And the brothers and I would watch it, and it just really ate away at us cause we knew it was a good trailer, but with Thriller it's next level. And so, I basically decided to be a massive pain in the ass and I went back into bull-headed producer mode and I figured out a way to license Thriller and that's what you saw today. So that was a really happy day. The day that we pulled off that licensing arrangement."

I'm so happy that Levy was actually able to pull it off. The use of "Thriller" was so freakin' cool! It fit with the trailer so well, that it was like it was specifically made to help promote Stranger Things Season 2. You might as well just watch the trailer again to be reminded of its greatness! I am a little curious to see what the other trailer would have been like.
https://geektyrant.com/news/stranger...ampaign=buffer

Is the Estate the only partie who has to give permission for it or is/was Rod Temperton also a partie? For example Estate paid Temperton a huge sum for using the song in TII, obviously they were not able to do it without his permission and I remember Temperton rejected the use for example in this terrible family-tribute concert for some years.

Last edited:
More likely both of them since Rod was the main composer and Michael was just credited for composing the bridge and obviously as a performer.

Hey Annita!

Stop spoiling it for the people that want to beat up on The Estate (again)! ;-)

For those who started watching the show cuz of this trailer.. what's your thoughts? I personally love it

I love this TV series. Thriller should even be there in first season

Is the Estate the only partie who has to give permission for it or is/was Rod Temperton also a partie? For example Estate paid Temperton a huge sum for using the song in TII, obviously they were not able to do it without his permission and I remember Temperton rejected the use for example in this terrible family-tribute concert for some years.
That was really well played by Rod-I remember reading about the amount he got for Thriller and I was pretty shocked, because I had never pictured him as someone so business savvy. But apparently he was-later on, I read about the number of homes he has, and how rich he became. I have no doubt that Quincy read or heard what Rod got for Thriller alone, and it got his goat about the amount and most likely lead to this lawsuit of his.

And I also guess they didn't realize what a critic's darling this show is-if you had watched the Golden Globes or the Emmy Awards, you would know that this show is the BIG THING right now.

That was really well played by Rod-I remember reading about the amount he got for Thriller and I was pretty shocked, because I had never pictured him as someone so business savvy. But apparently he was-later on, I read about the number of homes he has, and how rich he became. I have no doubt that Quincy read or heard what Rod got for Thriller alone, and it got his goat about the amount and most likely lead to this lawsuit of his.

You can call it clever, but you can also say Temperton took advantage of the fact of Michaels death, that all wanted to see his last rehearsals and in the film they certainly did not want to let the Thriller- rehearsals out.
Do you know the exactly sum he got for using the Trhiller-song?

I know we all get our nerve striked when it comes to people Making money off of Michael etc.. But I'll have to say, people get into the business to do business.. As cold as it may sound to fans that only deal with Michael for the love of Michael.. But do we get mad at funeral home operators that make money off of peoples deaths? Or companies that still get money because in a contract there was not a 'death clause'..

IDK the detail of what Temperton did exactly, so maybe I am saying this pre maturely but I sometimes think that we forget the music business is a business and if there was no money in it - it would not exist.

Michael bought the Beatles catalog right from under Paul.. It's smart and 'witty' when he pulls a business decision like that right? But if someone did that to Michael - we would be verbally hanging him decades after the fact..

Like I said, I get that we have a totally different perspective coming from a fan point of view - but none of these people would have worked for Michael for free.. Some of us would! It's a TOTAL different perspective.

everyone
MJ's daughter (Paris) wrote a tweet about this trailer.
"darkness falls across the land the midnight hour close at hand heckk yeahhhhhhhhh @milliebbrown proud of u miss lady - Paris (@ParisJackson)?"

I know we all get our nerve striked when it comes to people Making money off of Michael etc.. But I'll have to say, people get into the business to do business.. As cold as it may sound to fans that only deal with Michael for the love of Michael.. But do we get mad at funeral home operators that make money off of peoples deaths? Or companies that still get money because in a contract there was not a 'death clause'..

IDK the detail of what Temperton did exactly, so maybe I am saying this pre maturely but I sometimes think that we forget the music business is a business and if there was no money in it - it would not exist.

Michael bought the Beatles catalog right from under Paul.. It's smart and 'witty' when he pulls a business decision like that right? But if someone did that to Michael - we would be verbally hanging him decades after the fact..

Like I said, I get that we have a totally different perspective coming from a fan point of view - but none of these people would have worked for Michael for free.. Some of us would! It's a TOTAL different perspective.

But I'm talking about people getting more than they are contractually obliged to, a la Quincy and the jury who know nothing about music contracts.

There have been plenty of people trying to jump on the fast moving gravy train since Michael's death. I suppose, some would say, they are all entitled - contracts or not.

I would say that most of them are greedy, backstabbing lowlifes.

As you say. We sometimes see things differently

You can call it clever, but you can also say Temperton took advantage of the fact of Michaels death, that all wanted to see his last rehearsals and in the film they certainly did not want to let the Thriller- rehearsals out.
Do you know the exactly sum he got for using the Trhiller-song?
Well, as a Michael fan first, when I read about it, I was shocked-how could he take advantage of Michael's death like that and Rod had always seemed so sweet and unassuming, as well as brilliant-all about the music and nothing else. BUT, all of these guys, including Michael, are show BUSINESS savvy, and they learned it the hard way.

Berry Gordy pulled no punches when Joe Jackson yanked his kids from Motown and signed with CBS/Epic and Berry took them to court for years, confiscated their name, and even said there would be "another Jackson 5 on the stage tomorrow if they leave." But we all love Berry.

I don't know the exact amount Rod demanded for Thriller, or even if it was true, but I read several articles that it was around 3 million. If that's the case, and Quincy only got 455 thousand, then I'm sure he was put out over it. Rod, Quincy and Bruce remained fast friends up to Rod's death.

Still not saying the jury verdict was right-I disagree with it-but I try to understand the motivation behind the law suit.

I don't know the exact amount Rod demanded for Thriller, or even if it was true, but I read several articles that it was around 3 million. If that's the case, and Quincy only got 455 thousand, then I'm sure he was put out over it. Rod, Quincy and Bruce remained fast friends up to Rod's death.

Still not saying the jury verdict was right-I disagree with it-but I try to understand the motivation behind the law suit.

Rod Temperton is the songwriter oft the song,so he has a great input in the creation of it, not sure why this input is to connect to Quincy, but anyway it belongs
more in the trial-thread.

It's been a lot of fun going on YouTube watching people's reactions to hearing Thriller in the trailer.
I guess they just can't resist the evil of the Thriller.:)

^It disappointed me most of the reactions I saw they didn't notice Thriller was in the trailer as soon as Vincent Price started laughing though. It would be understandable not noticing Thriller actually began playing at :54sec because some tweaks were done to the song but how come they didn't lose their shit when Vincent laughed.

SmoothMJ, I wasn't talking about any particular lawsuit.. There are toooo many unlawful lawsuits against Michael that simply should never see the light of day.. I was commenting on the overall pattern by us fans of attacking seemingly everyone that sues Michael even IF they are indeed owed something.. We toss out quotes like "Money hungry".. and attack peoples character when there are indeed people that have done work for Michael and not appropriately paid.

There are people that did not get credit they feel deserved or money that was owed for x reasons.. We know Michael did not have the best handlers with his money for much of his career.. When you are an artist that has several deals going on at once and people handling your finances for you that are not the best... Payments and issues are going to be overlooked ie. people go unpaid..

It happens!

Now I wrote NetflixTH's Facebook message about this trailer.

CBS Sunday morning interviewed the Duffer brothers. Suffice to say that they are not giving anything away about season 2.
The viewing count (to date)for the Season 2 trailer is amazing:

"Stranger Things" to once again go bump in the night

There are many strange things that occur in the Netflix series "Stranger Things." Its producers and young cast have been gearing up for their second season, while also making time for our Mark Strassmann:

In 1983, a boy in Indiana disappears. His friends stumble upon a sinister government cover-up … and a creature from another dimension. If that sounds like a nightmare Steven Spielberg dreamed up with Stephen King, well, that's the point.

"When we hear that kids are watching 'Stranger Things' and getting scared, and maybe shielding their eyes, like, that to me is the best thing in the world," said co-director Ross Duffer.

Thirty-three-year-old twins Matt and Ross Duffer are the creators, writers and directors of "Stranger Things." Their eight-episode first season on Netflix was a phenomenon, scared up 18 Emmy nominations.

It stars Winona Ryder as the mom of the missing boy who loses it. "Things just go south for Joyce pretty fast," Ryder laughed. "I think I have one scene where I'm not freaking out. "I had to go in some pretty dark places, probably aged about ten years, you know? But you just kind of have to go there."

This past spring Strassmann visited Atlanta, where filming for season two was underway. One set, Mike Wheeler's basement, was graced with a poster from John Carpenter 1982 sci-fi film, "The Thing." "This is one of my favorite movies," said Matt Duffer. And they have a lot of favorite movies.

Much of the series draws from their childhood fascination with the science-fiction, horror, and adventure films they watched growing up in North Carolina. And because those films often captured suburban life in the '80s, the Duffer brothers saw their own lives reflected on screen.
"That's why we fell in love with those movies and those stories," said Matt. "Because they were telling stories about people who we recognized in a setting that we recognized -- sort of small-town suburbia, oftentimes about kids that felt very much like us and our friends."

They'd started making movies in the third grade. "They were terrible," laughed Matt. One was an adaptation of a card game called "Magic: The Gathering." "It was a really nerdy, like, fantasy stuff," he added.
"Just us, like, beating each other up with plastic swords," said Ross. "And we just sort of kept teaching ourselves. And it got a little bit better and a little bit better over time."

Better enough that these film geeks evoke not just nostalgia but déjà vu in "Stranger Things," with scenes that recall their inspirations: "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial," "The Shining," "Stand By Me." Many of those movies became classics, in part, because their hearts beat with kids, and friendships, that seemed believable, relatable and timeless. "Stranger Things" has that, too.

The Duffers say they auditioned about a thousand young actors. "There's nothing more grating than a bad child performance," Ross laughed. "It's just the worst."....................................

From new faces to familiar faces like Winona Ryder, the star of "Beetlejuice" and "Edward Scissorhands," it's a role many are calling a comeback. "They start using that word when you're basically in your late 20s," she said. "I understand the debate about roles for women, like, my age. There are times when it feels like there's a real drought. But I do think you can get lucky with certain shows or certain directors.
"And hopefully that will keep happening. I don't know!" she laughed.

The trailer for season two of "Stranger Things" (which debuts in October) already has more than 45 million views online. But don't expect many clues.

Are there more monsters out there? "There's more evil, yes. I'll say that," replied Matt. "There's a greater evil."

This much we do know: Season two will be another love letter to 1980s cinema from two of its biggest fans -- brothers who never grew out of their childhood fascination with things that go bump in the night.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/stranger-things-to-once-again-go-bump-in-the-night/

Announcement: CBS prepares to air MJ's Halloween on the same day.

5 Days to go Stranger Things (season) 2
Let's see this official poster.
DMvnjIKUMAAR0_B.jpg

It looks like Eleven uses this power similar to Captain EO.

Last edited:
That's an awesome poster!

For those who have not watched season 1 yet.. get on it, it's good - and season 2 is almost out.

LindavG;4209787 said:
Yes it is although I don't understand why Eleven is there... not to spoil too much :p I must have missed something.

Eleven has been heavily promoted in the marketing for ST2. She’s one of the most popular characters (perhaps even the most popular), no way they’d dismiss her right after the first season :)

I tell you that Paris Jackson (MJ's daughter) is a friend of Millie Bobby Brown (shown as Eleven from Stranger Things).

Back