Janet's career

Do you think that Janet had a chance at a career due to Michael or the Jackson 5?

• Yes

Votes: 175 73.8%
  • no

Votes: 62 26.2%

• Total voters
Re: La Toya Jackson - You're Gonna Get Rocked! 2CD Deluxe Edition out 25 November

I was watching Janet perform on the "Jackson Family Honor's" and you are so right Respect77, about Janet's " whispery and weak voice".

I remember going to a club, back in 1986 and dancing to "Nasty Boys." That was a good song to dance to, but even though there was success, at the time, I don't think Janet ever achieved that kind of success again. She really tried, much better than Michael's other siblings, but there just wasn't that drive that lived within Michael. The notoriety of saying Michael sidetracked one's Career is so lame an excuse. It just seems that Michael's siblings are finally achieving some kind of success, because there brother has died, the one who really did have talent and measured up to it till the day he died, the one, the only Michael Jackson!

lol well Duh Nasty is a club song it's not suppose to be a ballot the purpose is too dance to it. and no it's not Janet's most successful song

Re: La Toya Jackson - You're Gonna Get Rocked! 2CD Deluxe Edition out 25 November

KOPV & strawberry45220 - you both make valid points,

but...LaToya Jackson has got to step it up, if she even wants to get into Janet's league!

Janet claimed once that MJ turned down her voice on Scream to avoid her outsinging him. LOL. As if Janet could ever outsing Michael with her whispery and weak voice.

I wanted to know what Janet's voice range is and she's supposedly a mezzo soprano. I insist supposedly because I've hear mezzo sopranos in operas performing with more power than her. Ella, Etta, Aretha, Whitney, Mariah even Christina who isn't African American, all them would eat Janet alive. So I agree, her voice is very weak and normal, there's nothing extraordinary in it. As for her performances, when I see her dacing, I can't help thinking of Michael. She worked hard to have her career, I give her that but it's undeniable her record label and media inflated her.

It seems all Michael's siblings were jealous of his highly deserved success. SMH

I wanted to know what Janet's voice range is and she's supposedly a mezzo soprano. I insist supposedly because I've hear mezzo sopranos in operas performing with more power than her. Ella, Etta, Aretha, Whitney, Mariah even Christina who isn't African American, all them would eat Janet alive. So I agree, her voice is very weak and normal, there's nothing extraordinary in it. As for her performances, when I see her dacing, I can't help thinking of Michael. She worked hard to have her career, I give her that but it's undeniable her record label and media inflated her.
Are you joking?
Just because Janet isn't hitting whistle registers like Mariah or Christina,doesn't mean Janet can't sing.

I'd heard the song you posted before, that live performance precisely. If she had a soprano range like all those great female African American performers I mentioned, she'd impress me, her voice bores me.It seems the Jackson brothers are better singers, specially Michael.

I'd heard the song you posted before, that live performance precisely. If she had a soprano range like all those great female African American performers I mentioned, she'd impress me, her voice bores me.It seems the Jackson brothers are better singers, specially Michael.
Why are you so negative towards other artists? For real.It bugs me. If it's not Michael,it's bad to you. Janet is an impressive singer your hatred towards other musicians is completely uncalled for and disrespectful .Especially since this is Michael's sister,for cryin' out loud.

Plus,I bet you didn't even watch the video with her vocal range,because you're only talking about the performance video.

LMAO Janet can not sing, if she is a singer then so are Madonna and Britney Spears.

Last edited:
comparing Janet to Britney Spears is ridiculous.. I have a feeling we would go back and forth with this!! Janets voice is technically much stronger than Britney spears.. Spears's song hardly have her voice on the tracks, it is so altered because it needs to be. I am not saying Janet is a pure vocalist but she earns the title a singer!! Britney Spears is a pop star because who started and made it because of her teenie bopper look she started with..

respect77;3920727 said:
Janet claimed once that MJ turned down her voice on Scream to avoid her outsinging him. LOL. As if Janet could ever outsing Michael with her whispery and weak voice.
LOL has she really said that? Well, it’s nice that she has confidence in her vocal abilities.

Janets name gave her the chance to showcase the talent that made her who she is.. That is it, there are several others carrying that family name and it is not getting them anywhere but into the audition room.. Even members OF the Jackson 5 cannot hold a solid career with the name so to say Janets name made her who she is - is not fair at all.

Not to mention to the point made by Michaels nephew himself how it helps having the last name "Brown" because he is not held to any standards that he could fall short of.

the name get the foot in the door, and its talent that decides how far deep past the door they could get.

Why are you so negative towards other artists? For real.It bugs me. If it's not Michael,it's bad to you. Janet is an impressive singer your hatred towards other musicians is completely uncalled for and disrespectful .Especially since this is Michael's sister,for cryin' out loud.

Plus,I bet you didn't even watch the video with her vocal range,because you're only talking about the performance video.

How many times do I have to state the fact I don't like in this case, Janet's music doesn't mean I hate her? I'd hate La Toya because what she did to Michael was evil but not Janet. I only despise her for how she betrayed, haunted him in his last years and how she treated his children.

Michael opened her the doors and an inflated bubble can't last very long, that's what the media and label did to her despising and diminishing Michael's major success to impose her. People like Adele or Alicia Keys already proved they relay on real talent and already surpassed her vocally and in their deeper lyrics at least.

Last edited:
I understand resentment twards Latoya for what she said about Michael and the pain it caused him; However in my personal opinion when it comes to that if Michael was able to move pass that issue between the two (from our knowlege) and he was the one that was most effected by her actions, than we should find in our hearts to move past that to the fullest capabilities that our hearts can allow.

I too have had resentment about it, but I i have tried to forgive! It is those who have not recanted and made moves twards clearing Michaels name that I do not forgive.

respect posted a video in another thread about La Toya herself saying Michael and her never discussed that issue because that's what the Jacksons do but if I postted I'd be off topic. Also she has never apologized, she still puts the blame on Jack Gordon. That's why my hate...

If Janet ever apologized for lying about Michael being a drug addict, trying to force to tour with them and for the way she treated the children, I wouldn't despise her...

So...because she's Michael's sister, it's mandatory that someone likes her?? What? Just because she doesn't like other artists besides Michael, which she probably does, doesn't mean get mad at her opinion. For real.

Janet's voice is OK. She is no T-Boz, no Chilli, no Left Eye and the sista certainly ain't Aaliyah. xD Her voice is too weak, sorry, but it's my opinion. Not everyone has to love her.

Saying Janet can actually sing is like saying Madonna can sing..and God knows the child can't sing for nothin'.

Last edited:

So...because she's Michael's sister, it's mandatory that someone likes her?? What? Just because she doesn't like other artists besides Michael, which she probably does. It doesn't mean get mad at her opinion. For real.

Janet's voice is OK. She is no T-Boz, no Chilli, no Left Eye and the sista certainly ain't Aaliyah. xD Her voice is too weak, sorry, but it's my opinion. Not everyone has to love her.

Saying Janet can actually sing is like saying Madonna can sing..and God knows the child can't sing for nothin'.

Of course I do love other REAL artists besides Michael but him is the only Jackson I'm a fan of!

I really used to like Janet as a person even though not her music because I thought she had Michael's back. Even in 2007 when I heard all the brothers including her wanted to force him to tour with them I thought it was a lie made up by the tabloids. I didn't wanna believe specially her was haunting her brother when he was trying to recover his life. I didn't wanna believe she could be vindictive but sadly all of that was true!

I can understand you saying Janet isn't a Mariah or whitney but lma of T Boz , chilli or left eye who are not vocalist themselves or saying Janet isn't even Aaliyah is just wrong when Janet was the clearly the blueprint for Aaliyah and she was not not know for being a vocalist herself and sorry but I don't see her pulling off songs like he doesn't know I am alive of love will never do with you or even again

and I am by no means a Madonna fan but she can sing especially if you listen to her earlier work .

and I am by no means a Madonna fan but she can sing especially if you listen to her earlier work .

I rather take Aaliyah as a vocalist... Madonna is famous for many things but her vocals were never her strength - and especially not on her early albums.

I used to like Janet in the late 80s and early 90s. I developed an interest because she's Michael's sister and because he always spoke fondly of her (e.g. in his book Moonwalk), just like I wanted to know more about his other family members. Had she not been Michael's sister, I would have probably ignored her or at least I wouldn't have paid much attention.

Now, did Janet's last name help her career? Yes! Is she talented? She is. Is that enough to be successful? It's not. You need more than talent to have success. You need to be smart about it, surround yourself with the right ppl! You have a super famous brother, look what he does and try it for yourself. There is nothing wrong with asking for help (which I'm sure she did, look at all her copied moves from Michael, he clearly didn't mind and encouraged her). Didn't Madonna want MJ's manager back in the 80s in order to become just as successful? The other Jacksons tried to stand on their own but MJ's brothers just aren't business savvy. They know nothing of marketing, finance and management. In short, they just aren't professional. Look at all the stuff they have come up with, it's an embarrassment!

In most interviews Janet always got asked about her brother Michael, and I don't think it ever hurt her career. At least here in Europe she has always been Michael Jackson's sister, albeit MJ's famous little sister. So she could never quite get rid of Michael's shadow. I was very happy for her success, I even went to one of her concerts from the Janet tour because my oldest cousin is an avid concert goer and has probably seen every famous artist in concert on this planet lol. It was a good show.

The press of course has always tried to downplay Michael's success and talent, and they used Janet against him. They claimed he needed Janet for his comeback album HIStory. Then they claimed Janet had sold more albums than him, that she had a bigger record deal... bla bla... All of these things weren't true. It annoyed me to no end. I wonder how Janet got away with her nosejob, yet Michael never heard the end of it. The media just ate Janet's explanation of "I didn't like it". Having said all that, I don't blame her for the press' constant negativity towards Michael.

Janet has had a successful career. I applaud her for that. She has shown she is talented. She can sing, dance and perform. However, in my opinion, she has thrown Michael under the bus numerous times, hence why I actually don't give a damn about what her career is like now. I have never been a fan, I just used to support her because of Michael. I think MJ fans trash her and her career now because of all the sh*t she has come out with (the constant addict talk, the granny napping, to name a few), and I don't blame them. But I think it's unfair to say her success was insignificant or that she can't sing. She's nowhere near as talented as Michael and she hasn't sold as many records as him. But that isn't the point of this thread. At the end of the day, I don't give a rat's arse about Janet.

Janet would still be successful even if she wasn't Michael's sister. The girl is talented. I know that's tough for many MJ fans to swallow who love to hate on Janet but the reality is the girl is super talented and talent can't be suppressed. If being MJ's sister was the only reason for her success, then all of MJ's brothers would be successful solo artists too.

Last edited:
Janets talent has always been great, I will say I don't think (for understandable reasons) she continued to have the same passion for it all with her last couple bodies of work musically..

Janets talent has always been great, I will say I don't think (for understandable reasons) she continued to have the same passion for it all with her last couple bodies of work musically..

She is a victim of ageism and the whole superbowl debacle. I think after All for You, she released three very average albums which didn't help her career at all. She needed Unbreakable after the superbowl debacle as I think it's Janet best work since Velvet Rope.

Having the Jackson name did help, but it is not the reason for her success.
If that were the case then all of the Jacksons that pursued a career in the music industry would have been as big as Janet.

It's sad to say this, but Janet is very underrated and will only be given her deserved praise once she's gone.

I may be wrong but I can not see that she will have a great posthumous career or will win remarkable amounts of new fans in afterlife.

I'll put a decent amount of blame on Dupree.... The obvious obligation to have him take a huge role on her albums definitely changed the course of her music for a while.. Not saying I didn't like any of the music, cuz there are some jams I love.. but overall sound/feel were not Janet'esk for a large part

I think Janet could have made it without the help of her family. She had so much natural talent anyway and her best work came out when she left Joseph and his management. It was Jam and Lewis and the Control album that truly showcased her talent.

Janet such an amazing performer and singer but because her brood Michael Jackson has a big part of why she is famous

I think her relation definetly helped her, but she has the talent to back it up & make a name for herself.

I’m gonna leave this thread before I explode on someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

her being a Jackson gave her a platform and opportunity, her talent is what brought her success..

Back