Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

I founded in the internet some interesting facts (after hours of searching)

-Michael only does Demos when he worked on a album and he said there are 100 demo when he made an album
(he lived 3 months with the cascios and made 12 complete songs? And no one of the cascios has demos of this songs? ....maybe the cascios did the songs and hoped michael promised he will sing the songs? But he didn't do it because of his dead and so the cascios are frustrated?)

-no one knew about the cascio songs, no one...

-michael album released and Jason Malachi closed all of his sites and deleted the whole music even i can not found something on iTunes

The next fact is very very crazy....

-on Facebook matthew najar posted that he has worked with Jason Malachi together and made songs for him because the voice sounds very similar;
matthew najar wrote that he made his demo of critical and his voice is on michael for the three tracks

After that fact I think...okay okay maybe a guy who talked a lot...then i searched his name

-Matthew Najar is a Australien singer and all his old posts with a link on twitter...exists not anymore, he made some albums but all of the albums are deleted (nothing on YouTube, nothing on iTunes)...the interesting thing is, when you search a singer on iTunes and type in Matthew .... the program give you Matthew najar as a possible name...when you click on....nothing can be found

Very very strange all of this....i hope we will get the true in a official way but it's clear for me now that these three songs are no michael jackson songs

Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

^ well the question is, when was he not 'working on an album'.. Now we'd get into technicalities on that!

SmoothMJ;4182019 said:
I'm 100% sure that if '2000 Watts' was on 'Michael', the same people would be saying it was 100% fake.

Can anyone confirm if MJ ever wrote songs called 'Monster' or 'Breaking News'? They have a real MJ 'feel' to them, which makes me think he could have been involved in their creation somehow, with them being edited/completed after his death.

Well, it really depends on taste, I guess.
To me even with 100% of MJ’s voice, these songs were not worth of being released. They have nothing of Michael in them, not just voice, IMHO.

I'll have to admit I dig 'keep Your Head Up'! feel free to hate me for it.

I'm 100% sure that if '2000 Watts' was on 'Michael', the same people would be saying it was 100% fake.

Can anyone confirm if MJ ever wrote songs called 'Monster' or 'Breaking News'? They have a real MJ 'feel' to them, which makes me think he could have been involved in their creation somehow, with them being edited/completed after his death.

Well you'd be 90% wrong. The 2000 Watts song simply has a lower register thanks to whatever audio effect they used, and thats it, you can still recognize the distinct tics in Michael's voice. In the songs on "Michael", that simply isn't there, it sounds an awful lot like Jason Malachi, because thats who it is. Like the vibrato is clearly Malachi, and the comparisons that were around back then, were simply too convincing, I still have a few of them on my itunes, but don't know how to upload them here. The fact that no one had ever heard of these songs previously, the fact that they weren't written with the other songs Michael wrote on that white board with the marker, in preparation for a new album, none of these song titles were on that list. NONE. And that was Michaels own handwritten list of songs he planned to have ready for a new album. And I doubt Michael even "wrote" these songs as they simply don't have a Michael feel to them, to me anyway. Well, other than the copy and pasted lines they extracted from previous Michael songs, he did while in the Cascio's house, and others. And the excuses they used for why the voice sounded that way, "Michael sang through a PVC pipe in the shower", like what?

2000 watts has everything we know of Michaels vocals.. it's just deeper, these tracks on 'Michael' is definitely different.. From the vibrato, breathing patterns, aggressive tones are not like Michaels.. There are specific registers that are pretty damn convincing, other parts are like WTF that is not how Michael does x,y,z..

And on 2000 watts, that does not sound like anybody else, the tracks on Michael do...

When you record a song, there's no such thing as recording just the finished vocals. There are takes and takes and takes to get the song right. If Cascio wants to prove his songs are real, just take those takes and show them to us. Show us some take where Michael talks to him. Show us anything. The mixed acapella CANNOT be the only thing he has. This is complete bullshit. I can't believe I ever believed those songs to be Michael's.

In 2000 Watts they lowered the pitch of his voice. Just don't compare this.

igorzets - While I highlllly doubt Michael (if it were him) would not have done those songs in one take.. well especially for the way the songs are layerd but when it comes to Michael there is such thing as 'a finished' track.. Michael has released a couple songs throughout his years that were recorded in one take.

Not many, very rare.. But I just had to give Mike that little shot out!

In the bodyguard's books they non-chantilly mentioned that Michael was spending time in the studio with the Casios while staying with them.

I think that gives credence to Michael writing with them, but I bet something occurred where if it's similar to the WIll.i.am situation where they mixed beats etc, but never laid down vocals. I think MJ was paranoid about leaks at this point in his career, you have to remember a ton of stuff he was working on got leaked in the internet age of the 2000s (Blue Gangster, Xscape).

In the bodyguard's books they non-chantilly mentioned that Michael was spending time in the studio with the Casios while staying with them.

I think that gives credence to Michael writing with them, but I bet something occurred where if it's similar to the WIll.i.am situation where they mixed beats etc, but never laid down vocals. I think MJ was paranoid about leaks at this point in his career, you have to remember a ton of stuff he was working on got leaked in the internet age of the 2000s (Blue Gangster, Xscape).

Michael recorded vocals for WBSS 2008 for the Thriller 25 project in the Cascio's studio. Vocals that sound like he's always sounded.

Serious Effect - just as a side note there were some songs that Will.i.am and Mike did with Vocals on them as well.

Michael recorded vocals for WBSS 2008 for the Thriller 25 project in the Cascio's studio. Vocals that sound like he's always sounded.

So he could have written songs with them, during this time?

None of us really know what was and was not recorded at the Cascios outside of what was released before Michael was passed.. Not until we get some more to go off of than the Cascio tracks. as of now it is a matter of opinion and belief

Interesting you say that because I have always thought the quality of mjs vocals on WBSS08 were off. They didn't sound professionally recorded and if what you say is true then that would explain it. They also sounded stained IMO but that's nothing to do with where they were recorded. They certainly didn't sound "like he's always sounded "!

Interesting you say that because I have always thought the quality of mjs vocals on WBSS08 were off. They didn't sound professionally recorded and if what you say is true then that would explain it. They also sounded stained IMO but that's nothing to do with where they were recorded. They certainly didn't sound "like he's always sounded "!

They just sounded a bit more youthful than the screaming we had been used to on Invincible. They still very much sounded exactly like MJ. No doubt about it.

Just thought I'd contribute to this thread whilst I'm passing through.

I've been an MJ fan as a kid and I believe that it is MJ on those three tracks on the MICHAEL album. Hands down.

MJ fans are THEE BIGGEST conspiracy theorists. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that some are so militant with this matter without solid proof. It's my opinion that the songs are cosmetically edited which lessons the quality of MJ on them hence the suspicions. I love them and Monster is in my top ten favourite MJ songs of all time.

Best,

Sean

I've been an MJ fan as a kid and I believe that it is MJ on those three tracks on the MICHAEL album. Hands down.

MJ fans are THEE BIGGEST conspiracy theorists. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that some are so militant with this matter without solid proof. It's my opinion that the songs are cosmetically edited which lessons the quality of MJ on them hence the suspicions. I love them and Monster is in my top ten favourite MJ songs of all time.

Best,

Sean

I guess you and I are in the minority but I agree with you. Not the conspiracy theory part but about the songs.

Best,

Sean

Whenever I see posts like this it proves to me the person posting it hasn't done any research into the matter.

saying Michaels voice are not on those tracks (for whichever side of the fense your on) has a valid argument. I think stating it as a "theory" is trivializing the obvious "evidence"... The evidence may not give us a concrete answer - which for that I think everyone should keep an open mind.. But there IS something there to question..

I'd be more keen on believing these songs were real if I could honestly pick out one single word, line, phrase, etc. that I believed to be authentic in any of the songs that leaked, or the ones three that were on the album. As it stands, the only parts of ANY of the versions where I can recognize the vocals are lifted from previous material. There is a particular instance during the final ad-libs of Breaking News (You keep on breaking the news!) where it sounds like they lifted the word "keep" from the song History, where MJ sings "keep flying until you are the king of the hill". Other ad-libs are more obvious (such as On The Line being used in Monster), but it is these moments only where I recognize authentic MJ vocals.

None of this is "proof", but I don't think fans are conspiracy theorists about this... I think most fans were genuinely interested to hear all of this supposed unheard, new material, and nobody had reason to doubt the songs before hearing them, as it was known MJ stayed with and had done some sort of work in the Cascio home. It wasn't until that collective "wtf" moment that Breaking News debuted that the questions started. I think it would be interesting to hear more info on this issue, but who knows if it will ever be resolved.

Say, ivy, did you ever come around listening to all the unreleased Cascio gems after all these years?
I'm just wondering. :)

Say, ivy, did you ever come around listening to all the unreleased Cascio gems after all these years?
I'm just wondering. :)

No. I don't even listen to the released Cascio songs for years and years.

I think Damien Shield's new article belongs here.

Sony/Jackson Estate renew partnership in the face of ongoing fraud lawsuit

SONY Music and the Estate of Michael Jackson today announced they will remain business partners well into the future after inking a renewal of their previous deal together, again tying Jackson’s music to the record company he once campaigned against.

“Effective January 1, 2018, Sony Music will extend the term of their administration of Michael’s record catalog in a long term recording agreement,” their joint press release states. “Sony will also have the opportunity to partner on additional projects that the Estate may produce during the term of the agreement.”

The December 14, 2017 press release goes on to detail a number of projects Sony and the Estate completed over the course of their previous seven-year deal – signed in March 2010 and reportedly worth a record US$250 million – including two Spike Lee documentaries, 2014’s Xscape album, and ‘virtual Michael Jackson’ performance (which was actually just a visual projection of a pre-recorded MJ impersonator) at the Billboard Music Awards.

However, one glaring omission from the self-glorifying press release was the first posthumous collection of unreleased songs by the King of Pop – the Michael album – which, released in the U.S. seven years ago today, continues to be haunted by ongoing allegations of fraud.

What should have been a triumphant smash hit became a catastrophe in late 2010 when Jackson’s family, collaborators and fans said three of the songs on the album sounded like fakes. After years of dismissing the claims, lawyers for Sony and the Estate have made the startling admission that the songs might actually be forgeries after all – sung by an impostor.

For several years, a David and Goliath battle has been unfolding in the Los Angeles Superior Court where a single, extremely determined Michael Jackson fan is taking on some of the entertainment industry’s most powerful players. Reputations are on the line in what has the potential to be one of the most infamous lawsuits the music business has ever seen. Yet most people have no idea the case is even happening – the media has almost completely ignored it.

California-based consumer Vera Serova contends in her class action lawsuit that millions of consumers have been defrauded since the Jackson Estate and Sony Music Entertainment released the Michael album, including three songs – “Breaking News,” “Keep Your Head Up” and “Monster” – with fake vocals sung by a Jackson soundalike.

While today the media has all but forgotten about the issue, it generated a lot of coverage at the time. In December 2010, co-defendant in Serova’s lawsuit, Eddie Cascio, appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show to discuss the authenticity of the songs, which Cascio and his collaborative partner James Porte, also a co-defendant, supplied to Sony earlier that year. When asked to respond to accusations that the voice on his songs was not Jackson’s, Cascio simply told Winfrey: “I can tell you that it is Michael’s voice.” Unchallenged by the talk show host for any kind of evidence beyond his word, Cascio added that Jackson had recorded the three songs – along with nine others that remain unreleased – in his New Jersey basement in 2007. Serova’s lawsuit contends Jackson did no such thing.

It was Jackson’s family who first raised the alarm about the allegedly forged vocals. They, along with thousands of fans, petitioned Sony not to release the Cascio tracks, but were dismissed by the label and media as troublemakers and conspiracy theorists. Sony released a brief statement at the time saying the company had ‘complete confidence’ that the vocals were legitimate.

Attorney for the Jackson Estate, Howard Weitzman, also responded to the backlash by issuing a statement. It listed six of Jackson’s former engineers who had reportedly attended listening sessions, been played the isolated vocal tracks a capella (without the music), and confirmed that the voice was ‘definitely’ Jackson’s. Several people who attended the listening sessions, however, refuted Weitzman’s statement, which also claimed that two forensic musicologists had authenticated the vocals as Jackson’s.

Even the Estate’s co-executors, John Branca and John McClain, could not agree on the matter, with McClain joining the Jackson family in their stance against the songs. “My friend John McClain (co-executor) and I have insisted for many weeks to have certain tracks removed from Michael’s new album,” said Jackson’s brother Jackie at the time. “Unfortunately, our concerns were not taken seriously.” Despite all of this, the media seemed satisfied with Sony and Weitzman’s statements, and the controversy has scarcely been reported on since.

But now, seven years later (and counting), Sony and the Jackson Estate are finally being forced to face the music. In a public courtroom on December 7, 2016, lawyers for the record company and estate finally conceded that the songs might actually be forgeries. Zia Modabber said Sony and the Estate had taken the songs original producers – Porte and Cascio – at their word. Shockingly, he insisted that even if the vocals were not Jackson’s, Sony and the Estate had done nothing wrong by saying they were. This was noncommercial speech protected by the First Amendment, Modabber claimed.

The argument didn’t sit well with presiding Judge Ann I. Jones of the Los Angeles Superior Court. “What is problematic is that you are ripping people off under your admitted facts,” she countered. Modabber insisted the Constitution allowed Sony and the Estate to lie to consumers: “If we ripped people off and it’s noncommercial speech, they lose under the statutes; that is just the law.”

To be culpable, Modabber told the court, the seller of the product should be ‘in a position to know what it is they are selling’. “In this case, that is not what has gone on,” he argued, adding that co-defendants Porte and Cascio “failed to disclose to Sony or the Estate that Michael Jackson did not provide the lead vocals.”

Judge Jones summarized Modabber’s argument as follows: “I think what he is saying here is. ‘We were as duped as the Plaintiffs… We didn’t know you guys were recording stuff in a basement that wasn’t recorded by Michael. You told us it was Michael. We believed it was Michael. And if there is a bad guy here, who was engaging in false commercial speech, it’s not us.’”

Sony and the Estate’s position in court may seem staggering, but it is not foolish. Over the years, as the defendants tried to sweep the controversy under rug, evidence against the Cascio tracks has continued to mount.

Neither Porte nor Cascio have ever provided convincing evidence of Jackson’s contribution to the songs – not even a mention of them in the singer’s countless handwritten notes. Jackson was well known for scribbling song ideas and lyrics on scraps of paper. When he died, a handwritten list of approximately 30 songs the singer was working on was found taped to his bedroom wall. The list did not feature a single Cascio track.

Longtime Jackson collaborators pointed out that the vocals on the Cascio tracks lacked signature MJ recording habits, including finger snaps and foot stomps. Asked to provide alternate vocal takes, Porte and Cascio claimed they had deleted them all. Also questioned were the vibrato and dialect of the singer – neither of which matched Jackson’s. Serova’s lawsuit cites these inconsistencies, which are supported by a 41-page report by forensic audiologist Dr. George Papcun, PhD, who concluded the songs were sung not by Jackson.

To this day, fans around the globe remain equally unconvinced. Just last month, on the seventh anniversary of the “Breaking News” premiere, dozens of fans emailed Howard Weitzman, John Branca, and Sony Music’s CEO Rob Stringer urging them to remove the Cascio tracks from Jackson’s discography. “The continued presence of the three ‘Cascio tracks’ on MJ’s official catalogue is an ongoing sprinkling of salt in a wound that just won’t heal,” wrote one fan. “Please, it’s finally time to set the record straight – push aside the corporate coldness and let’s do right by Michael like he deserves,” pleaded another.

In today’s press release announcing the renewal of their recording contract, Branca (and McClain) heaped praise on Stringer and Sony, saying that the Estate ‘couldn’t ask for more creative and innovative partners’ than them, adding: “Michael continues to inspire generations of artists who have come after him and attract new fans who understand that his music and message are more important than ever. We look forward to continuing to preserve and develop his remarkable musical legacy with Sony.”

Meanwhile, emails from fans regarding their continued sale of the Cascio tracks – despite their concession that they may be forgeries – were met with silence, and the Michael album – including “Breaking News,” “Keep Your Head Up” and “Monster” – remains available for purchase via online retailers and in record stores around the world.

Unlike Sony and the Estate, however, Cascio and Porte are not willing to make any concessions regarding the vocals on their songs, standing by their claims that Jackson is the singer. In a bizarre development earlier this year, Eddie’s brother, Frank Cascio, brazenly attempted to cash in on what auction house Gotta Have Rock & Roll listed as ‘Michael Jackson’s personally owned copy of his final album’ – a homemade CD scribed with the word ‘Bible’ (not in Jackson’s handwriting) and featuring the songs tangled in his brother’s pending fraud lawsuit – for a staggering opening bid of $50,000.

The auction house described the CD as “Michael Jackson’s personally owned copy of his final album consisting of 12 finished tracks, all with finished vocals,” adding that the music on the disc was ‘master quality’ while telling the media it anticipated bids of anywhere up to US$1 million.

Interestingly, the titles and track lengths detailed in the CD’s lot description matched exactly with versions of the songs co-produced and mixed by Jackson’s former engineer, Stuart Brawley, almost a year after Jackson’s death. Eddie Cascio and James Porte brought Brawley in to help prepare the 12 songs for their ultimate sale to Sony and the Jackson Estate. This caused an uproar in the Jackson fan community, with many quick to point out that if the music burnt on the CD was completed posthumously, it would not be possible for Jackson to have ever personally owned it.

The lot was withdrawn from auction days later – after it made headlines on several major media outlets including Rolling Stone and Billboard. In an email to me, a rep for the auction house explained: “We’ve been asked to take it down from the auction by the consignor who has had second thoughts on selling it publicly and would prefer to sell it privately. I think Frank was very surprised by the massive amount of media attention that it garnered and he felt that a private sale was a more respectful way to go since it was [Jackson’s] last album, and we are respecting Frank’s wishes.” The rep added that Cascio’s decision to remove the CD from auction was motivated by his desire to ‘keep the integrity of Michael Jackson’s legacy’, despite moving forward with the sale of dozens of other items including what Cascio claims were Jackson’s personally worn underwear, and intimate gifts given to the superstar by his children.

Beyond the notion of ‘respect’ and ‘integrity’, the sale of the album would have been legally improper considering the ongoing fraud lawsuit its contents are subject to. The Cascio brothers have a duty to preserve the CD and, if sold, could be considered destruction of evidence.

For the past seven years I have been investigating the origins and authenticity of the Cascio tracks. The findings of my investigation will be detailed in a book I’m writing about the issue. With Sony and the Estate’s admission that the songs might actually be forgeries, the courtroom battle ahead promises to be very interesting to say the least. As someone who has followed this story from day one, I can only hope its resolution will be respectful to Jackson’s legacy, and cathartic to his family and aching fan community.

Published at http://www.*************.com/sony-j...nership-in-the-face-of-ongoing-fraud-lawsuit/ (https://goo.gl/kpV63b)

No. I don't even listen to the released Cascio songs for years and years.

Exactly the same here.

There'll be nothing from his book or that so-called "research". Mistaking (predictable and fortunately failed) legal tactics by the defendants' lawyers (people who are neither Sony nor the Estate but folks who are doing their job) - "noncommercial speech protected by the First Amendment" in the context of whether eg the Oprah talk could be discussed in court - for an actual stance on the issue (which has never changed since 2010) and the continuing grasp at straws with untrue claims regarding John McClain (of whom they are painting the "good" John) and Stuart Brawley (you know, the one they're painting the "traitor") will ultimately be the doom of those people who have made it clear they could not come to terms ever on the whole Cascio controversy.

^Wrong.

I just had to revisit this thread.
I was on YouTube yesterday and stumbled across a Jason Malachi track and played it. It immediately struck me that his IS the voice that can be heard on songs like Keep You Head up and Monster. Previously I believed there was at least some credibility to the argument that MJ's voice had been heavily processed but I don't believe that any more. I then had to listen to the Cascio tracks again (yes, contradicting my previous post!) and after discovering the Malachi track and then listening to a few of his other songs I am left in no doubt that Jason's voice is on the Cascio tracks. No doubt at all. :mat:

There'll be nothing from his book or that so-called "research". Mistaking (predictable and fortunately failed) legal tactics by the defendants' lawyers (people who are neither Sony nor the Estate but folks who are doing their job) - "noncommercial speech protected by the First Amendment" in the context of whether eg the Oprah talk could be discussed in court - for an actual stance on the issue (which has never changed since 2010) and the continuing grasp at straws with untrue claims regarding John McClain (of whom they are painting the "good" John) and Stuart Brawley (you know, the one they're painting the "traitor") will ultimately be the doom of those people who have made it clear they could not come to terms ever on the whole Cascio controversy.

What are you talking about? You know it yourself that the songs are fake. What untrue claims regarding John McClain? We all know that he was against the release of the fake Cascio songs. No one is "painting" anyone to be anything. We all know what McClain said and what Brawley did. Same goes for Frank Cascio and his auctions.

Also, "come to terms".. why would they (we) ever come to terms when they (we) know the real truth? And it is not a "controversy". It is a real thing that actually happened in real world, believe it or not!

Has anyone heard anything new on this?

Back